The official kitchen thread

newmann
Edited Date/Time 12/23/2017 9:28am
About to embark on the long put off and dreaded kitchen remodel. Anyone here with a new house or remodel project showing off some kick ass ideas?
|
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
3/15/2016 6:37am
I hear Sherwin Williams makes great paint.
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
3/15/2016 7:04am
newmann wrote:
About to embark on the long put off and dreaded kitchen remodel. Anyone here with a new house or remodel project showing off some kick ass...
About to embark on the long put off and dreaded kitchen remodel. Anyone here with a new house or remodel project showing off some kick ass ideas?
Me too. I have some good ideas, but relaying these things to my contractor is tough. Haven't started demo yet and I plan on being hands on (picky as shit) when things get started. Our kitchen is not large, so it should not be too major of a project. We'll see...

The only thing I have found that I am committed to, as far as appliances go, is a dual fuel LG range. The commercial style ranges (Wolf, Viking, etc.) are higher than Spiccoli.

We are in the process of selling our motorcoach, but wife says keep it until the remodel is done so we can have some sort of kitchen. Uggg, gonna miss the best time of the year to sell.
MR. X
3/15/2016 7:10am

I did ours the day we got the keys for the house ,it's a small house and it really opened the living area , I've seen some of your projects and can safely say that your budget will be greatly higher then what mine was . The finished picture was taken from where the blue ladder is in the other picture . I did the whole job including appliances and was under 8k.
SEE ARE125
3/15/2016 7:12am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 7:17am
Not a full remodel, but the wife painted our cabinets, I installed molding around the tops and bottoms to give them a more custom look(they're mid-grade Home Depot models that were here when we moved in), new granite countertops, a huge ass stainless sink, new faucet and soap dispenser, and a tile backsplash. Still have a few things left to do like lighting. This isn't our "forever home" so we didn't want to spend too much, just do some updates to add a little value. So far we're just under $2,500. I'll try and get some pics when I get home.

The Shop

MR. X
3/15/2016 7:13am
BMR179 wrote:
Me too. I have some good ideas, but relaying these things to my contractor is tough. Haven't started demo yet and I plan on being hands...
Me too. I have some good ideas, but relaying these things to my contractor is tough. Haven't started demo yet and I plan on being hands on (picky as shit) when things get started. Our kitchen is not large, so it should not be too major of a project. We'll see...

The only thing I have found that I am committed to, as far as appliances go, is a dual fuel LG range. The commercial style ranges (Wolf, Viking, etc.) are higher than Spiccoli.

We are in the process of selling our motorcoach, but wife says keep it until the remodel is done so we can have some sort of kitchen. Uggg, gonna miss the best time of the year to sell.
Alot of homeowners policies don't cover against commercial ranges either.
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
3/15/2016 8:02am
MR. X wrote:
Alot of homeowners policies don't cover against commercial ranges either.
Nice to know, thanks. I'm over the commercial ranges, too expensive and not enough room in our kitchen area. I like to cook and want a dual fuel, the best of both worlds, and the LG has good ratings. My dilemma is where to locate the microwave after installing a proper overhead vent. Will probably loose some cabinet space, but we need to get rid of a bunch of accumulated crap anyway.
MR. X
3/15/2016 8:06am
Our microwave has a vent underneath it that can be piped outside or exit upwards towards the ceiling vent like we did.
MR. X
3/15/2016 8:10am

Plan on some of these in the build ,I did one cabinet and now the wife wants all the cabinets done, they don't seem like much but the first time you don't have to dig to the back of the cabinet you will be thrilled.
newmann
3/15/2016 8:53am
Mr X, I like that kitchen project of yours. A lot of the townhouses we have are laid out similar but on a smaller scale and you can do some really nice looking setups on a tight budget even with granite tops. But yes this budget will get stretched a bit as I have overbuilt over the years and don't plan on moving without taking a pretty good hit.

Our 1981 kitchen cabinets wrap around three ways and are all being replaced. Had some water damage about ten years ago that ruined most of one row of the lowers that we did a bit of a patch job on. Trying to save and repurpose some of them for the utility room and maybe my garage. Wife wants a double oven but I don't want to give up the wall space for that. And with me wanting some sort of huge cook top I have looked into the overpriced Thermador products. Trying to learn more about reliability and service/maintenance costs on those. They do have some incentives right now, "free" dishwasher and vent hoods with the range and fridge/freezer combos.

Wife also wants to rip out the 1994 ceramic tile and put down wood. Nixing that huge mess but will go with a nice floating wood over the tile.

It is truly mind numbing at all the shit you accumulate in cabinets over the course of 24 years. That will be another thread as we get rid of a truckload of crap and replace it with some good solid cooking tools.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
3/15/2016 10:11am
What kind of look are you going for?
Are you going to do a nice backsplash?

IWreckALot
3/15/2016 11:10am
You should do this for a backsplash. . . It's elegant.

newmann
3/15/2016 12:37pm
Those are nice Toolmaker, remember seeing them in another thread. In the planning stages here so looking at all options. Going to be a pretty big area under the hood so something needs to be there. Probably nothing as elegant as the topless mermaid.Laughing
SEE ARE125
3/15/2016 2:08pm
Well fuck you guys. I can't post pictures of my modest kitchen after seeing some of these! Laughing It'd be like being on a Vette forum and everyone else posting pics of clean, late model Corvettes and I upload pics of my Chevette.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/15/2016 2:22pm
In our last house we went from this

To this

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/15/2016 4:39pm
I had a really nice kitchen in my last home... hardwood floors, cherry cabinets and granite tile countertops. The tile was the best part: Giallo Veniziano color.
Homey55
3/15/2016 4:51pm
We're looking at doing our kitchen soon as well. I want to do a combo of open and closed upper cabinets, wood counter tops and new SS appliances. Floors are undecided. We had slate before and it was really nice, with a lot of character. That picture above, with the giant herringbone, looks really nice. I may also need to plumb in a beer tap...

Have you guys thought of getting rid of your microwave completely? We've lived without one for 2 years now, and honestly, it promotes better/healthier cooking and doesn't really take much more time. We use the broiler and boil water on the stove instead.
newmann
3/15/2016 6:35pm
Homey55 wrote:
We're looking at doing our kitchen soon as well. I want to do a combo of open and closed upper cabinets, wood counter tops and new...
We're looking at doing our kitchen soon as well. I want to do a combo of open and closed upper cabinets, wood counter tops and new SS appliances. Floors are undecided. We had slate before and it was really nice, with a lot of character. That picture above, with the giant herringbone, looks really nice. I may also need to plumb in a beer tap...

Have you guys thought of getting rid of your microwave completely? We've lived without one for 2 years now, and honestly, it promotes better/healthier cooking and doesn't really take much more time. We use the broiler and boil water on the stove instead.
Have you guys thought of getting rid of your microwave completely?

This oven we looked at might just be the ticket as the smaller compartment heats up instantly. Steam feature is supposed to reheat food without overcooking or turning it to rubber. Other than that, I did look at a microwave that fits in a drawer. Pretty cool.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/15/2016 7:05pm
We are looking at redoing ours also. Plan is to put the microwave in the corner

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
3/15/2016 7:09pm
We recently built a new house ..custom built cabinets, granite and hickory floors.

I installed the flooring myself..it's engineered natural hand scrapped hickory 1/2" thick x 5" wide. The hand scrapped is the way to go because the surface isn't glossy and so it hides dust, scratches..etc.

The appliances are GE Slate..love the slate...no finger prints like stainless. FYI - if you need appliances I can get you friends and family discount from work (GE).

I still need to install the tile backsplash.

One thing I strongly recommend are under cabinet lights!

Couple pics..

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/15/2016 8:56pm
yak651 wrote:
We are looking at redoing ours also. Plan is to put the microwave in the corner[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/15/128158/s1200_IMG_20160315_210223606_HDR.jpg[/img]

I would remove those 3 upper cabinets between the 2 arched openings and open that wall up (keeping the lower cabs), if possible...
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/16/2016 5:09am
yak651 wrote:
We are looking at redoing ours also. Plan is to put the microwave in the corner[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/15/128158/s1200_IMG_20160315_210223606_HDR.jpg[/img]

disbanded wrote:
I would remove those 3 upper cabinets between the 2 arched openings and open that wall up (keeping the lower cabs), if possible...
Yeah that's the debate. Do we want to see the lower cabinets from the other room or not. Can "open" the opening up probably 3', stairs to basement are on the other side of the wall. The opening above the sink was to make it feel a little more open (stairs to basement are a "half wall" on the other side.
IWreckALot
3/16/2016 5:34am
yak651 wrote:

disbanded wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Yeah that's the debate. Do we want to see the lower cabinets from the other room or not. Can "open" the opening up probably 3', stairs...
Yeah that's the debate. Do we want to see the lower cabinets from the other room or not. Can "open" the opening up probably 3', stairs to basement are on the other side of the wall. The opening above the sink was to make it feel a little more open (stairs to basement are a "half wall" on the other side.
Is that section of wall load bearing?
IWreckALot
3/16/2016 5:36am
Brad460 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/15/128162/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

You care if I ask what you paid per sq ft for the flooring? I'm considering a project house and flooring is absent in the house currently. I put the laminate flooring down in my current house and it's the gloss kind. And it does show every spec of dirt. Wish I would have learned that lesson before putting that flooring down.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/16/2016 7:14am
No it's not load bearing. I did similar hand scraped flooring as above except darker "teak", it was 7 years ago or so and i believe it was right around $5/sq. ft (with me installing it).
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
3/16/2016 7:36am
Brad460 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/15/128162/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

IWreckALot wrote:
You care if I ask what you paid per sq ft for the flooring? I'm considering a project house and flooring is absent in the house...
You care if I ask what you paid per sq ft for the flooring? I'm considering a project house and flooring is absent in the house currently. I put the laminate flooring down in my current house and it's the gloss kind. And it does show every spec of dirt. Wish I would have learned that lesson before putting that flooring down.
I think it was about $5.50 per sq foot....fairly reasonable. This was with the builders discount but I am sure you could negotiate with anyone to get the price down.

Post a reply to: The official kitchen thread

The Latest