The official disbanded designs snowboard bench

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 9:19am
Just got finished making this bad boy. I'm pretty proud of it...

|
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
8/24/2014 5:24pm
That is pretty cool. It would kick ass if you went and got some transparent colored water seal and applied it to the pine. Like a colonial blue.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/24/2014 5:41pm
Hell yea. Cool
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/25/2014 3:14pm
That is pretty cool. It would kick ass if you went and got some transparent colored water seal and applied it to the pine. Like a...
That is pretty cool. It would kick ass if you went and got some transparent colored water seal and applied it to the pine. Like a colonial blue.
I definitely like your idea, but the wood is pressure treated redwood.

I wonder how it would take to a colored sealant like that...
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
8/25/2014 8:04pm
Ha, I'm ashamed. I'm a wood guy and I thought it was pine. I had my suspicions of it being treated or not and the board on the front in the front view through me off as well. I guess I should have just considered your location and that would have narrowed it. Anyway, no matter what it is, even if it is treated it will work the same. As far as consumer water seals, I like Cabot the best. But if you are going for a color, I think Thompson's water seal is by far the best as far as color selection. The Thompson's Water Seal comes in Transparent colors, meaning you can still see the wood grain. It is pretty attractive. It is an oil base so it soaks into the wood. It does not lay on top like a paint. When it says UV protection, that just means it has boiled linseed oil in it. Redwood has a lot of tannins in it, that is what makes it durable and insect resistant. But it does not carry those tannins in an oily form such as that of Teak. It is much softer and more permeable. A transparent water seal will work just fine. If you take one of your cut offs, they should have something transparent at the counter where they can show you how it would look.
If you decide to do it, make it easy on yourself. Take your snowboards off, go to the dollar store and buy you an all purpose squirt bottle. Squirt it on and wipe the access off with a rag. It will take you 5 minutes. If you rub it on like they say, it will take much longer with more uneven results. You can't mess it up with a squirt bottle.
I said colonial blue because I think it would really make the colors of the snowboard pop. But they might have a nice gray that would look good too. I think a solid color such as a painted gray would look cool too, like a light shade of gray.

The Shop

jamma10
8/26/2014 6:08am
Looks good, I've considered building one of those myself before.

Did you just happen to have two identical boards knocking about or did you buy them especially?
Ardfarkl
8/26/2014 6:48am
I do not snowboeard and I would take that!
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/26/2014 7:06am
jamma10 wrote:
Looks good, I've considered building one of those myself before. Did you just happen to have two identical boards knocking about or did you buy them...

Did you just happen to have two identical boards knocking about or did you buy them especially?
I'm actually sponsored by Burton...

No, just kidding, I bought them at a used board shop for $10 a piece. Luckily they had two matching boards.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/26/2014 7:07am
Ha, I'm ashamed. I'm a wood guy and I thought it was pine. I had my suspicions of it being treated or not and the board...
Ha, I'm ashamed. I'm a wood guy and I thought it was pine. I had my suspicions of it being treated or not and the board on the front in the front view through me off as well. I guess I should have just considered your location and that would have narrowed it. Anyway, no matter what it is, even if it is treated it will work the same. As far as consumer water seals, I like Cabot the best. But if you are going for a color, I think Thompson's water seal is by far the best as far as color selection. The Thompson's Water Seal comes in Transparent colors, meaning you can still see the wood grain. It is pretty attractive. It is an oil base so it soaks into the wood. It does not lay on top like a paint. When it says UV protection, that just means it has boiled linseed oil in it. Redwood has a lot of tannins in it, that is what makes it durable and insect resistant. But it does not carry those tannins in an oily form such as that of Teak. It is much softer and more permeable. A transparent water seal will work just fine. If you take one of your cut offs, they should have something transparent at the counter where they can show you how it would look.
If you decide to do it, make it easy on yourself. Take your snowboards off, go to the dollar store and buy you an all purpose squirt bottle. Squirt it on and wipe the access off with a rag. It will take you 5 minutes. If you rub it on like they say, it will take much longer with more uneven results. You can't mess it up with a squirt bottle.
I said colonial blue because I think it would really make the colors of the snowboard pop. But they might have a nice gray that would look good too. I think a solid color such as a painted gray would look cool too, like a light shade of gray.
Thanks for the info!
Fantasy
4452nd
8/26/2014 7:14am
jamma10 wrote:
Looks good, I've considered building one of those myself before. Did you just happen to have two identical boards knocking about or did you buy them...

disbanded wrote:
I'm actually sponsored by Burton...

No, just kidding, I bought them at a used board shop for $10 a piece. Luckily they had two matching boards.
$10? Nice. Good work!
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/26/2014 7:32am
308 wrote:
$10? Nice. Good work!
They were in the 'unusable' section of the board shop, but I think I just got real lucky because there really isn't anything wrong with these two. They were old rentals with some people's names written on them and a few rental shop stickers, but I got all that stuff off with a little elbow grease.

The others labeled 'unusable' were in really bad shape, but I dug around and came across these. I was so excited that I high-fived myself.
Old-Man
8/26/2014 8:41am
Very nice! Now power wash that fence and use "Superdeck DB1910" on it. It will look brand new for years to come.

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/26/2014 8:56am
Old-Man wrote:
Very nice! Now power wash that fence and use "Superdeck DB1910" on it. It will look brand new for years to come.

Will do. Can I borrow your pressure washer?
Old-Man
8/26/2014 9:16am
Old-Man wrote:

disbanded wrote:
Will do. Can I borrow your pressure washer?
Actually I have one for sale...2700 PSI Troy built. 175 OBO has about an hour on it.
The problem is that the pressure release valve in the pump doesn't shut off the pressure when the trigger is released and stalls the engine. I have to keep the trigger engaged while using it.

Selling it because I have a 3700 commercial grade PW...Don't need two.
Old-Man
8/26/2014 9:19am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 2:00pm

Post a reply to: The official disbanded designs snowboard bench

The Latest