The bomber's....package

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:27am
http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/photos-show-underwear-terror-suspe…

OK, so how much good do the 47 virgins do you if you successfully blow up this package?
|
KAWboy14
12/29/2009 11:58am
so how long until the usa invades africa?
WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 12:17pm
When a person can get on an airplane with a small amount of powder and blow it up, and the powder is undetectable by a metal detector and even xrays won't identify it, then there's no practical way to prevent him from doing it. The fact is, there is no way to systematically ensure that a terrorist can't blow up an airplane. Israel has lived for decades with the knowledge that they could be killed by a terrorist, and Americans (and Europeans) are going to have to live with the knowledge that they can be, too.

All forms of deterrance depend on the threat to the perpetrator that he can be caught and put in prison if he does something. If the perpetrator intends to die in the act, then it is practically impossible to stop him. People need to understand this and stop using these events as political footballs. When these things happen, whether they're successful or not, the fault lies solely on the terrorist, not the security people, or the diplomats, or anyone else.
txmxer
12/29/2009 12:41pm
I don't know, but I doubt there was enough explosive in there to do any real damage.

Injure and frighten yes. Take down a plane? No.
12/29/2009 12:59pm
txmxer wrote:
I don't know, but I doubt there was enough explosive in there to do any real damage.

Ill agree, but maybe it was just a scare tactic, by al qaida or who ever, just to play head games. when we really have to worry is after we pull out of iraq and get bin laden then pull out of afghanistan ,thats when they strike or attempt another 9/11 type of attack as long as we are in afghan we are keeping them busy, imo

The Shop

WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 1:04pm
As I understand it, this guy was sitting above the wing and his hope was that he'd blow a hole in the side of the plane and ignite the fuel in the tanks. Minimally, he hoped to depressurize the plane and that could cause the pilot to lose consiousness. Experts on the news have been saying that this could have actually taken the plane down. Pressurized airplanes are pretty fragile.

This stuff is pretty volatile, it only takes about 100 grams to blow up a car.
ken754
12/29/2009 1:10pm
txmxer wrote:

According to the report I watched on TV, this guy had more explosive than the Shoe Bomber had. They showed the test with the amount the SB was caught with and it blew the plane apart. Assuming the report was correct, he had more than enough to bring down the plane.
SteveS
12/29/2009 1:32pm
You guys can't even stop for a moment to think about what it's like to pull a trigger on a packet of explosive powder nestled around the gonads?
WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 1:47pm
SteveS wrote:
You guys can't even stop for a moment to think about what it's like to pull a trigger on a packet of explosive powder nestled around...
You guys can't even stop for a moment to think about what it's like to pull a trigger on a packet of explosive powder nestled around the gonads?
It's odd, but I can imagine a person being in a state of mind where he could pull the trigger and kill himself, and the particular part of his body that is directly affected is irrelevant. What I can't imagine is a person being in a state of mind in which he tries to kill hundreds of other people as a political statement. There are no political statements that justify killing innocent people. But that's the difference between a terrorist and a sane person.

One of the other unimaginable states of mind is that of a fundamentalist who genuinely believes that Armageddon is a desirable outcome because that'll bring Jesus back. That's the exact same state of mind that any terrorist has - only worse. How about you or Ger explaining that? How many terrorist mindsets have those idiotic "Left Behind" books created?
CamP
12/29/2009 1:52pm
Religion when it goes haywire.

The illusion of eternal life can sometimes be too convincing, leading some to embrace death. The coping mechanism to deal with the realisation of imminent mortality can corrupt into an active desire for death. Examples are Muslim suicide bombers and the millions of Christians who can't wait to die in the second coming, or the rapture or whatever.

Read more: http://www.meta-religion.com/World_Religions/Articles/theory_of_cause.h…

brainbasket
12/29/2009 2:06pm
Wow. A lot of reaching and stretching to find a way to draw a comparison between people who want to kill as many innocent people as possible to make a political statement, and people who read religious based novels that promise an afterlife better than the current state.

How many people that read those novels go on to try and off a bunch of innocent people?

How many people that believe the afterlife promised in those novels and presumably the bible, go on to kill themselves for that reason?

Why not stick to the topic of the bombers junk and the explosives attached to it?
SteveS
12/29/2009 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:40pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
It's odd, but I can imagine a person being in a state of mind where he could pull the trigger and kill himself, and the particular...
It's odd, but I can imagine a person being in a state of mind where he could pull the trigger and kill himself, and the particular part of his body that is directly affected is irrelevant. What I can't imagine is a person being in a state of mind in which he tries to kill hundreds of other people as a political statement. There are no political statements that justify killing innocent people. But that's the difference between a terrorist and a sane person.

One of the other unimaginable states of mind is that of a fundamentalist who genuinely believes that Armageddon is a desirable outcome because that'll bring Jesus back. That's the exact same state of mind that any terrorist has - only worse. How about you or Ger explaining that? How many terrorist mindsets have those idiotic "Left Behind" books created?
Always changing the subject and trying to make personal attacks.

Armageddon is a desirable outcome because...

Has it backwards. The destruction doesn't bring Jesus back.

Jesus comes back at a time and date unknown to anyone but God. All the other stuff which is prophesied happens after that, at least according to the pre-tribulation view of the books you referenced.
WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 2:17pm
Wow. A lot of reaching and stretching to find a way to draw a comparison between people who want to kill as many innocent people as...
Wow. A lot of reaching and stretching to find a way to draw a comparison between people who want to kill as many innocent people as possible to make a political statement, and people who read religious based novels that promise an afterlife better than the current state.

How many people that read those novels go on to try and off a bunch of innocent people?

How many people that believe the afterlife promised in those novels and presumably the bible, go on to kill themselves for that reason?

Why not stick to the topic of the bombers junk and the explosives attached to it?
How many of those fans of Armageddon rah-rahed the war in Iraq, which (directly or indirectly) killed 100,000 people and created thousands of terrorists who now live and breathe for the chance to blow up an airplane full of Americans? What's the difference between a Muslim fundamentalist cheering a guy who blows up an airplane and a Christian fundamenalist who cheers a war against a country that poses no threat to us? I'm talking about the mindset - both are equally despicable. The only reason the Christian funamentalist is less abhorrent to us is because it's more familiar.

What I'm saying is that we've had parallel movements going in the US and the Middle East, and we only see one side. Both movements should be denounced and shunned in decent society.
Racer92
12/29/2009 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:40pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
When a person can get on an airplane with a small amount of powder and blow it up, and the powder is undetectable by a metal...
When a person can get on an airplane with a small amount of powder and blow it up, and the powder is undetectable by a metal detector and even xrays won't identify it, then there's no practical way to prevent him from doing it. The fact is, there is no way to systematically ensure that a terrorist can't blow up an airplane. Israel has lived for decades with the knowledge that they could be killed by a terrorist, and Americans (and Europeans) are going to have to live with the knowledge that they can be, too.

All forms of deterrance depend on the threat to the perpetrator that he can be caught and put in prison if he does something. If the perpetrator intends to die in the act, then it is practically impossible to stop him. People need to understand this and stop using these events as political footballs. When these things happen, whether they're successful or not, the fault lies solely on the terrorist, not the security people, or the diplomats, or anyone else.
They were talking on the news last night about the profiling that Israel uses for their airlines - and how our country keeps trying to be PC. They were saying its gonna reach the point where they are going to have to profile high risk people because it is flat-out in the best interest & safety of the many to do so.
txmxer
12/29/2009 2:30pm
Racer92 wrote:
They were talking on the news last night about the profiling that Israel uses for their airlines - and how our country keeps trying to be...
They were talking on the news last night about the profiling that Israel uses for their airlines - and how our country keeps trying to be PC. They were saying its gonna reach the point where they are going to have to profile high risk people because it is flat-out in the best interest & safety of the many to do so.
Wow...I started to say I support this, but, it's a damn slippery slope. Say profiling is ok...now, you've unlocked pandora's box. Sure, it might never become a problem, but look at human history and it's hard to think the power would not be abused.

I suppose there is some really smart lawyer somewhere that could come up with the right wording to give law enforcements enough leash to do this, but I don't know how that would be.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
12/29/2009 2:35pm
Damn relieved I am, I thought you guys had nude pics of Mark Barnett.
WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 2:42pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
When a person can get on an airplane with a small amount of powder and blow it up, and the powder is undetectable by a metal...

Racer92 wrote:
They were talking on the news last night about the profiling that Israel uses for their airlines - and how our country keeps trying to be...
Absolutely true. Nobody has a "right" to get on an airplane, and every country has the right - and a responsibility - to be selective about who they allow to enter. Try getting on an airplane and flying to Tel Aviv after being a known radical, buying a one way ticket with cash and checking no baggage. The notion that everyone in the world has a right to come to our country is baloney. It's one thing for people who are already in our country to fly freely to another part of our country, it's another thing for people outside our country to have some kind of inherent "right" to come in.

One of the things that need to be changed is that we use our airports to enforce entry requirements. Well, by the time they get to our airport, they've already entered our airspace and threaten our country. The time to screen them out is in the visa process. This guy had a visa that was issued some time ago, and when his father came to the US embassy and warned them about him, that visa should have been revoked pending a review as a standard operating protocol.

Generally, visas should only be granted for people who want to come to our country in a short period of time, for a specific purpose and for a specific stay. We do this backward - we assume everyone has a right to come in and only weed out those who obviously shouldn't come. We should assume that they have an obligation to prove that they have business here and prove they're not a threat.

SteveS
12/29/2009 3:07pm
I like what you're thinking about the visa requirements.

Other countries certainly do it to us.
TeamGreen
12/29/2009 3:29pm
Wow. A lot of reaching and stretching to find a way to draw a comparison between people who want to kill as many innocent people as...

I like basket...he actually understands and uses...Logic.

Let's, also, look at an interesting point: This Fuck-Up FAILED!

Bwahahahahaha!
jonjon714
12/29/2009 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2009 3:38pm
Hey ladies...this som bitch would check anyone's package if a Scooby Snack's in the deal...

J.F.S
12/29/2009 3:42pm
Thera are alot of natural resources in Nigeria, maybe they need their democracy and freedom fixed soon.
jonjon714
12/29/2009 3:44pm
J.F.S wrote:
Thera are alot of natural resources in Nigeria, maybe they need their democracy and freedom fixed soon.
Fixed by whom?
J.F.S
12/29/2009 3:49pm
J.F.S wrote:
jonjon714 wrote:
Fixed by whom?
Sarah Palin? She could run for office with that, some friends of hers would be really happy too, you know the Blackwaters, Haliburtons, the oil execs just to name a few, her buddies would get quite the machinery going to make it happen. Isnt she the perfect puppet!?
Rooster
12/29/2009 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:40pm
So the guy's dad goes down to the embassy and turns in his own kid for being a terrorist and nobody does anything about it.

Now I can't take any carry-on luggage, will be subjected to being physically frisked before boarding, obscene delays, and who knows what other idiotic "fixes" to a system that should have worked as it was.

Yeah, I want my nuts grabbed by some TSA agent because some dipshit at the embassy doesn't know how to use a telephone.

How about holding the idiots within this system responsible and making an example of them. So others will get the idea that the same will happen to them if they don't do their fucking jobs.
12/29/2009 3:57pm
How many "tips" do you think all of the US Embassies get each year?
Rooster
12/29/2009 4:00pm
Why should it matter?
WhKnuckle
12/29/2009 4:43pm
Rooster wrote:
Why should it matter?
Because it's humanly impossible to follow up on every tip about a person who is reported as being "possibly radicalized". The only way to respond is to systematically make the process more difficult and rigid when granting visas.
pelted
12/29/2009 4:56pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Because it's humanly impossible to follow up on every tip about a person who is reported as being "possibly radicalized". The only way to respond is...
Because it's humanly impossible to follow up on every tip about a person who is reported as being "possibly radicalized". The only way to respond is to systematically make the process more difficult and rigid when granting visas.
The "only" way?

How about screening the guy at the gate?
Rooster
12/29/2009 4:57pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Because it's humanly impossible to follow up on every tip about a person who is reported as being "possibly radicalized". The only way to respond is...
That's bullshit and you know it.

Are you trying to tell me that a credible threat warning. When placed at a US embassy. About a specific person who's "had" a visa issued. Cannot be put on to a no-fly list that already contains thousands of names for no good reason?

Add to this that it's a foreign national from Nigeria and not a US citizen.

Yeah, that's just fucking impossible.
TeamGreen
12/29/2009 4:58pm
J.F.S wrote:
jonjon714 wrote:
Fixed by whom?
J.F.S wrote:
Sarah Palin? She could run for office with that, some friends of hers would be really happy too, you know the Blackwaters, Haliburtons, the oil execs...
Sarah Palin? She could run for office with that, some friends of hers would be really happy too, you know the Blackwaters, Haliburtons, the oil execs just to name a few, her buddies would get quite the machinery going to make it happen. Isnt she the perfect puppet!?
Question, "Who" do you Media puppets hate more:

1. Bush

2. Cheney

3. Palin

Post a reply to: The bomber's....package

The Latest