The Third Reactor has popped

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:37am
and it seems this one was breached and is leaking

A bad situation just got a lot worse

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
|
3/14/2011 7:35pm
See the thread I posted earlier, this 'news' is just sensationalizing by the media as expected when the word 'nuclear' is involved.
jmar
3/14/2011 7:41pm
TripleFive wrote:
See the thread I posted earlier, this 'news' is just sensationalizing by the media as expected when the word 'nuclear' is involved.
No sensationalizing on this one. If anything, they sugar coated for a few days.

I don't think you would feel the same if the leakage affected your family.

The Shop

3/14/2011 7:45pm
jmar wrote:
No sensationalizing on this one. If anything, they sugar coated for a few days. I don't think you would feel the same if the leakage affected...

I guess we will both wait and see.

From what I've read, exposure has been minimal, almost equal to the levels of radiation we're exposed to on a daily basis.
3/14/2011 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2011 7:57pm
If someone dies from radiation exposure from this incident it will be the first time in hundreds of operating years for nuclear energy.

EDIT * Thousands
jmar
3/14/2011 7:50pm
jmar wrote:
No sensationalizing on this one. If anything, they sugar coated for a few days. I don't think you would feel the same if the leakage affected...

TripleFive wrote:
I guess we will both wait and see. From what I've read, exposure has been minimal, almost equal to the levels of radiation we're exposed to...
I guess we will both wait and see.

From what I've read, exposure has been minimal, almost equal to the levels of radiation we're exposed to on a daily basis.
I agree

We will wait and see. I am not happy about being right on this, but chances are, this is going to turn out really bad.
dcmx326
3/14/2011 7:53pm
I read the article TripleFive posted, and if true, the media is really overhyping this thing.
flarider
3/14/2011 8:11pm
Reactor 4 is now on fire it seems

But, I guess everything's OK, right?
borg
3/14/2011 8:23pm
Who knows what will happen but to say that the US media is not hyping this is to be naive.
flarider
3/14/2011 8:26pm
borg wrote:
Who knows what will happen but to say that the US media is not hyping this is to be naive.
I am sure there is some media hype, but to dismiss the entire situation as a "non-event" is just stupid.

Oh, wait...

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Tuesday that a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex was on fire and that more radiation was released.
Prime Minister Naoto Kan warned that there are dangers of more leaks and told people living within 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex stay indoors.

Well, fuck them, what do they know?
There's nothing to worry about, right?
dcmx326
3/14/2011 9:10pm
borg wrote:
flarider wrote:
I am sure there is some media hype, but to dismiss the entire situation as a "non-event" is just stupid. Oh, wait... [i]Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio...
I am sure there is some media hype, but to dismiss the entire situation as a "non-event" is just stupid.

Oh, wait...

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Tuesday that a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex was on fire and that more radiation was released.
Prime Minister Naoto Kan warned that there are dangers of more leaks and told people living within 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex stay indoors.

I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not much radiation is expected to leak out. A wall of a regular house will not protect you from any significant radiation. I would assume if the threat was dangerous and imminent, the experts would tell the locals to evacuate.
3/14/2011 9:23pm
Frogman wrote:
Like Katrina?
Where they were all told to evacuate before the hurricane? Yeah, I think so.
jmar
3/14/2011 10:14pm
borg wrote:
flarider wrote:
I am sure there is some media hype, but to dismiss the entire situation as a "non-event" is just stupid. Oh, wait... [i]Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio...

Oh, wait...

dcmx326 wrote:
I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not much...
I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not much radiation is expected to leak out. A wall of a regular house will not protect you from any significant radiation. I would assume if the threat was dangerous and imminent, the experts would tell the locals to evacuate.

?????
jmar
3/14/2011 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2011 10:30pm
TripleFive wrote:
If someone dies from radiation exposure from this incident it will be the first time in hundreds of operating years for nuclear energy.

EDIT * Thousands
So you know that there were no deaths from Chernobyl?
3/14/2011 11:24pm
jmar wrote:
So you know that there were no deaths from Chernobyl?
Chernobyl was in '86 and I'm very aware that there were casualties.

There are 104 nuclear power plants now in the United States, with the last being completed in '96.

So let's just say, that there have been 75 continuously operating plants in the U.S. since '86, 25 years.

That's 1875 combined years of operation in the U.S. alone since the last recorded death from nuclear energy.

Do you remember how many people died from the Three Mile Island incident?
Sully
3/15/2011 12:05am
TripleFive wrote:
jmar wrote:

Jim, the leakage could potentially affect my family, and TripleFive is right, the US news is sensationalizing this. However, on the flip side, the Japanese news is doing a complete 180 and sugarcoating the hell out of it. As of right now, the 17 sailors from the Reagan are the only Americans who've been affected by any kind of radiation, and the were decontaminated using soap and water. They're predicting rain right now, and if past rain patterns are any indication, the wind will be blowing to the northeast and should carry any residue out to sea. I'm keeping positive thoughts that the winds will work in our favor.
dcmx326
3/15/2011 3:44am
flarider wrote:

Oh, wait...

dcmx326 wrote:
I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not much...
jmar wrote:
[i] I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not...

?????
Why the question marks?

The wall of a regular house will not protect you from high intensity radiation fallout, so, staying "indoors" would not really help you. I would assume, if high intensity radiation fall out was eminent, they would tell people close buy to evacuate, not "stay indoors'.
jmar
3/15/2011 3:58am
dcmx326 wrote:
jmar wrote:
[i] I am no nuclear expert, but I would assume that if the experts are telling people who are within 30 kilometers to "stay indoors" not...

?????
dcmx326 wrote:
Why the question marks? The wall of a regular house will not protect you from high intensity radiation fallout, so, staying "indoors" would not really help...
Why the question marks?

The wall of a regular house will not protect you from high intensity radiation fallout, so, staying "indoors" would not really help you. I would assume, if high intensity radiation fall out was eminent, they would tell people close buy to evacuate, not "stay indoors'.
My point is that they are saying things that make no sense. When they finally tell people to evacuate their throwing in the towel.
3/15/2011 4:06am
What reason does the Japanese government have to try and sugar coat things at this point?

What really do they have to lose?

They've already lost probably tens of thousands of lives; I don't think telling another couple thousand to leave their homes would be that disastrous.
3/15/2011 7:45am
There have been worker deaths at US nuke plants that you don't hear about--- they aren't covered up, but they don't get much publicity. People that suffered exposure from small internal leaks.
flarider
3/15/2011 8:24am
The tsunami didn't wipe out the country.
There are still homes within that 20 mile radius

just have no power
3/15/2011 8:44am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2011 8:49am
There have been worker deaths at US nuke plants that you don't hear about--- they aren't covered up, but they don't get much publicity. People that...
There have been worker deaths at US nuke plants that you don't hear about--- they aren't covered up, but they don't get much publicity. People that suffered exposure from small internal leaks.
True, however, nonspecific forms of malignant neoplasms are a job hazard in many, many professions ranging from auto mechanics to teachers in asbestos ridden facilities. As cancer is the NUMBER TWO most likely thing to kill you, it's quite hard for me to chastise the nuclear industry for infrequent abnormalities.
3/15/2011 8:48am
flarider wrote:

just have no power
So I get the feeling for some reason that you're implying the Japanese govt. would hesitate to evacuate these areas? With such a large death toll recently experienced, my logic tells me that they govt. would likely have little inclination to hesitate in preventing any more.
flarider
3/15/2011 9:02am
flarider wrote:

just have no power
TripleFive wrote:
So I get the feeling for some reason that you're implying the Japanese govt. would hesitate to evacuate these areas? With such a large death toll...
So I get the feeling for some reason that you're implying the Japanese govt. would hesitate to evacuate these areas? With such a large death toll recently experienced, my logic tells me that they govt. would likely have little inclination to hesitate in preventing any more.
I get the feeling you're making shit up you think I implied

Post a reply to: The Third Reactor has popped

The Latest