The Secrets of Quantum Physics

Edited Date/Time 12/19/2014 8:03pm
This is a new series which started on BBC 4 this week and is done in a way which is much easier to understand for ordinary individuals like myself. Some truly weird things going on here at the 23 min mark and onwards, though nothing new in regards to recent discoveries. Anyway I thought some people here may be mildly interested.

|
the_wood109
12/12/2014 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2014 6:10pm
BBC is great with documentaries and educational material.

I have to admit, I do roll my eyes almost every time I hear somebody mention quantum physics. It has become the new platform for pseudoscience nonsense, just look at the related videos on youtube. "The Secret." I even saw a related video called "Black Biology and Quantum Physics: Educating the Black Parent." How about "The Hidden Truth of Mind Science, Consciousness, and the Quantum?"

Besides the guy in the devil mask, the one thing they really didn't stress enough, IMO, is that this series is about particle physics. Too many people will jump to conclusions or apply theories where they really have no relevance. The professor's closing remarks did summarize this and the fact that they only have a small piece of the puzzle.

It's a great video, though. I loved the analogies, explanations, and the historical re-creation of experiments. I was rooting for Einstein, even though I knew he was wrong. That is the great thing about science. There are no authorities, and everyone is subject to question. I can hardly wait for the next video!
XXVoid MainXX
12/12/2014 6:55pm
Unless you are a global warming climate scientist. Then you are not subject to question. Smile

The Shop

the_wood109
12/12/2014 7:08pm
Unless you are a global warming climate scientist. Then you are not subject to question. Smile
Says who? You can question them all you want to. The possibility of being wrong is a constant. This means that everyone can be wrong at any time. How do we best determine fact from fiction?

The climate change situation has become almost exclusively political. That is a big problem, as it is no longer experts arguing over scientific data, it is politicians arguing over their support money and power.

The case for climate change is pretty strong. There is a reason why they don't use the term "global warming." It's a gradual change that will be counter intuitive to certain regions on the planet. Global temperatures are increasing at the predicted rate, and you would need to present some strong evidence to counter the physics of releasing large quantities of carbon into the atmosphere.
the_wood109
12/12/2014 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2014 7:43pm
I thought you were a Jesus guy?

Religion does have the monopoly on "believe or be shamed"

You do notice the sheer amount of people that live and die as atheists. They don't believe and they haven't been shamed.

If you are god, you just kill every living thing on the planet.

What do you do as Jesus? Do you simply perform a magic trick?
TeamGreen
12/13/2014 10:41am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2014 11:43am
TeamGreen wrote:
Looks like a New Religion...
CR250Rider wrote:
Believe or be shamed !
Exactly.

They lost me in the '80s when they had to keep spinning off multiple Universes and creating math that left logic behind: hence, "a belief".

"It's got to work! I just KNOW it"

Me: No, You don't. You can't make it work in the known Universe; so, you've invented another. And, another. And, ...welcome to 'Faith'.
SF45
12/13/2014 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2014 2:16pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Looks like a New Religion...
CR250Rider wrote:
Believe or be shamed !
TeamGreen wrote:
Exactly. They lost me in the '80s when they had to keep spinning off multiple Universes and creating math that left logic behind: hence, "a belief"...
Exactly.

They lost me in the '80s when they had to keep spinning off multiple Universes and creating math that left logic behind: hence, "a belief".

Me: No, You don't. You can't make it work in the known Universe; so, you've invented another. And, another. And, ...welcome to 'Faith'.
Except these "theories" based on things like "evidence" and "experiments"
TeamGreen
12/13/2014 9:46pm
CR250Rider wrote:
Believe or be shamed !
TeamGreen wrote:
Exactly. They lost me in the '80s when they had to keep spinning off multiple Universes and creating math that left logic behind: hence, "a belief"...
Exactly.

SF45 wrote:
Except these "theories" based on things like "evidence" and "experiments"
Definitive/Finite?
tvo314
12/14/2014 12:40am
Religion and science don't play by the same rules. They will never be comparable and no one should ever confuse science for religion. Science is the opposite by definition. Religion relies on faith, science relies on evidence. Whatever anecdote you come up with where science takes a leap of faith is no longer science.
enketchum
12/14/2014 2:06am
I do not believe that anything is bound by the speed of light.
JPT
12/14/2014 3:38am
If you believe in God your response to this type of thing should be "Oh, that's how he does it!"
12/14/2014 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 12:45pm
tvo314 wrote:
Religion and science don't play by the same rules. They will never be comparable and no one should ever confuse science for religion. Science is the...
Religion and science don't play by the same rules. They will never be comparable and no one should ever confuse science for religion. Science is the opposite by definition. Religion relies on faith, science relies on evidence. Whatever anecdote you come up with where science takes a leap of faith is no longer science.
Ever wonder where the word scholar comes from, and why you wear those funny hats/robes when you graduate from college?
Must really piss some people off when they hear the reason.

Religion is worthless at explaining anything. Anything that does not try to answer questions and instead says, "You must have faith" is worthless. With science, they will tell you they don't know, they haven't found x or y yet, but at least they don't tell you to have "faith". When better days comes around a scientist will also change their views.

In that regard, many "sciences" are becoming "faith" based and when you require everything to be explained through x or y theory, such as evolutionary psychology needing everything to be ok'd through evolution as a meta-theory, you end up missing huge amounts of usable data and facts.
TeamGreen
12/14/2014 2:18pm
From the end of the video...

Where is Reality?

Can you show it to me?
12/14/2014 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 2:42pm
What questions does religion ask/explain that science does not?
Foghorn
12/14/2014 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 3:29pm
Read the Wu Li Masters. Even cynical people wallowing in a miserable, negative existence could be enlightened.
12/14/2014 3:31pm
Foghorn wrote:
Read the Wu Li Masters. Even cynical people wallowing in a miserable, negative existence could be enlightened.
I had to read it for a philosophy class. What exactly enlightened you?
12/14/2014 3:52pm
Because quantum physics is so hard to understand, and it requires at least 3 years of study to have any decent understanding of it, Pseudoscientists looking to rip people off have jumped on board with made up words to take advantage of the field as well as you and I. They use it as a way to prove jesus was great by claiming "quantum Jesus" and "quantum creationism", words they made up, and are not part of the quantum physics world.
Honestly, people that use quantum physics to "prove" religion exists to themselves typical have the mindset of ;
I want magic to exist.
I don't understand quantum.
Therefore, quantum could mean magic exists.

Most quantum physicists that claim a belief in an "afterlife" or "religion" don't have the same meaning of it used by the bible

SF45
12/14/2014 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2014 4:27pm
Explain to me why there must be a meaning and purpose to life.
SF45
12/14/2014 4:44pm
What's the meaning and purpose of this, besides the fact it's cool as fuck?

12/14/2014 5:01pm
I don't think anyone here knows the meaning or purpose is of that lego ball handling thing.

But I bet that, just like you, its Creator just thinks it's pretty cool.

Foghorn
12/14/2014 5:22pm
Foghorn wrote:
I had to read it for a philosophy class. What exactly enlightened you?
It strips away the math, doesn't take itself too seriously and is enjoyed as something that you're not cramming to study for. Too bad you were forced to read it. I'm sure you enjoyed Walden's Pond much more. Woohoo
watson
12/14/2014 5:36pm
enketchum wrote:
I do not believe that anything is bound by the speed of light.
Out of curiosity, why is that? In the sense that you don't believe that anything can be bound by a mass-less elementary particle (photon), I can see where you're coming from.
TeamGreen
12/14/2014 7:12pm
SF45 wrote:
Explain to me why there must be a meaning and purpose to life.
BOOM

Existence parlayed into an Experience.

Are you Experienced?

Post a reply to: The Secrets of Quantum Physics

The Latest