Tejas

71Fish
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2015 10:31am
From the outside looking in, Texas seems to have done better than most states over the past 10-15 years, most under Gov Perry. What has gone right and wrong in TX under Perry?
|
MR. X
6/5/2015 4:27am
Least amount of political correctness to get in the way of what should be done.
Dtat720
6/5/2015 5:29am
Lowered taxes. Defied the federal govt
IWreckALot
6/5/2015 5:30am
Perry is a piece of the puzzle, but most of our success is geographical. The Barnett shale REALLY fueled employment through the recession. Perry allowed the drilling to take place. Another big job creator is the low business taxes in Texas. Perry has been reluctant to raise business taxes at all. I can think of a few large businesses that have moved to Texas in recent years. Toyota is a big one. We're also in the gulf of Mexico which is a major import hub.

The elephant in the room is also the immigration path from Mexico. . . it's not the typical conservative idea to like the immigration, but I have been around a lot of migrant workers. I work in commercial construction on occasion and there are TONS of Mexicans in that industry. All they want to do is work and send money back to their family and not cause problems. Sure there are problem guys that come up. It would be nice to ship them back down. My problem isn't with the immigrants, but with the political system not allowing them a timely access to work in the country. All the politicians want to do is get into a pissing match and do nothing about immigration. If they'd figure out a vetting process, and implement a border protection plan at the same time, I think that process would become a lot easier.

I know his run in 2012 was disastrous, but I still think he would make a good president. Although, in recent, he's been playing along with the whole dog and pony show. . . I'm not a fan of that.
TommyLee93
6/5/2015 6:38am
IWreckALot wrote:
Perry is a piece of the puzzle, but most of our success is geographical. The Barnett shale REALLY fueled employment through the recession. Perry allowed the...
Perry is a piece of the puzzle, but most of our success is geographical. The Barnett shale REALLY fueled employment through the recession. Perry allowed the drilling to take place. Another big job creator is the low business taxes in Texas. Perry has been reluctant to raise business taxes at all. I can think of a few large businesses that have moved to Texas in recent years. Toyota is a big one. We're also in the gulf of Mexico which is a major import hub.

The elephant in the room is also the immigration path from Mexico. . . it's not the typical conservative idea to like the immigration, but I have been around a lot of migrant workers. I work in commercial construction on occasion and there are TONS of Mexicans in that industry. All they want to do is work and send money back to their family and not cause problems. Sure there are problem guys that come up. It would be nice to ship them back down. My problem isn't with the immigrants, but with the political system not allowing them a timely access to work in the country. All the politicians want to do is get into a pissing match and do nothing about immigration. If they'd figure out a vetting process, and implement a border protection plan at the same time, I think that process would become a lot easier.

I know his run in 2012 was disastrous, but I still think he would make a good president. Although, in recent, he's been playing along with the whole dog and pony show. . . I'm not a fan of that.
Very well said.

The Shop

newmann
6/5/2015 6:40am
30 days after the Hurricane Katrina clusterfuck of epic proportions in Louisiana he sure did a good job evacuating Southeast Texas for Hurricane Rita. He was here on the ground in the middle of it all and had C130's at the local airport loading busses full of people getting them out. Not afraid to get his hands dirty.

And for "the wood" here on Vital, Perry jogs with a hand gun and won't hesitate to shoot a coyote while running.lol

Read up on what he did for Marcus Luttrell ...just sayin'
71Fish
6/5/2015 7:55am
newmann wrote:
71Fish wrote:
I learned / saw of their relationship this morning on the news before work.
IWreckALot wrote:
If that doesn't give you some respect for the man, then nothing probably will.
Maybe it's old news but what I like about it is Perry didn't go around talking about it to build himself up. Or maybe he did and I just missed it. Like I said, I only heard about it this morning.
hvaughn88
6/5/2015 8:23am
I'm well aware this thought will not go over well with some one here, and that's fine, but i would be on board with some sort of military service being a prerequisite to run for president.
6/5/2015 8:46am
The Texas Board of Education is certainly interesting. This piece from Wikipedia on the textbook controversy could describe a lot of conversations in this forum: Laughing

For example, the proposed curriculum would downplay Thomas Jefferson's emphasis on the separation of church and state (outlined in his Letter to Danbury Baptists), and would include a greater emphasis on the importance of religion to the founding fathers. Other changes include downplaying Abraham Lincoln's role in the civil war and putting more emphasis on the Confederate leader Jefferson Davis, questioning the African American Civil Rights Movement in addition to downplaying Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy, removing such instances and points of history such as downplaying slavery, putting more emphasis on the states rights cause during the Civil War.
Xracerdone
6/5/2015 7:28pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Perry is a piece of the puzzle, but most of our success is geographical. The Barnett shale REALLY fueled employment through the recession. Perry allowed the...

I read that Texas pays some of the lowest welfare in the country & that is why you guys get all the good Mexicans that want to work. The criminals & mooches head to other states with the highest paying benefits.
Sully
6/5/2015 7:57pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm well aware this thought will not go over well with some one here, and that's fine, but i would be on board with some sort...
I'm well aware this thought will not go over well with some one here, and that's fine, but i would be on board with some sort of military service being a prerequisite to run for president.
I would use John McCain as an example of why military service doesn't matter for a president/presidential candidate. That old fool spent 20+ years in the Navy, and he's just as ready to fuck over vets as any other schmoe on The Hill.
SEEMEFIRST
6/5/2015 11:16pm
IWreckALot wrote:

Xracerdone wrote:
I read that Texas pays some of the lowest welfare in the country & that is why you guys get all the good Mexicans that want...
I read that Texas pays some of the lowest welfare in the country & that is why you guys get all the good Mexicans that want to work. The criminals & mooches head to other states with the highest paying benefits.
We have plenty of mooches in all races here. The criminals leave because we prosecute them, and kill capitol murderers.
Sully
6/5/2015 11:38pm
IWreckALot wrote:

Xracerdone wrote:
I read that Texas pays some of the lowest welfare in the country & that is why you guys get all the good Mexicans that want...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
We have plenty of mooches in all races here. The criminals leave because we prosecute them, and kill capitol murderers.
Not to mention how many Texans are packing at any given time. Criminals don't like it when their victims shoot first/shoot back.
SEEMEFIRST
6/6/2015 10:31am
Xracerdone wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Sully wrote:
Not to mention how many Texans are packing at any given time. Criminals don't like it when their victims shoot first/shoot back.
Hehehe....who me?
You forgot to mention shoot "better".

Post a reply to: Tejas

The Latest