Teacher Shoots self in leg

enketchum
9/15/2014 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2014 9:32pm
newmann wrote:
A good teacher who enjoys what they do though is priceless and I remember the good ones. The bad ones.....well I remember those assholes too. Point...
A good teacher who enjoys what they do though is priceless and I remember the good ones. The bad ones.....well I remember those assholes too. Point is, don't be an asshole. Doesn't just apply to teachers.
Good point. Thank you. I am really learning how to discipline while still keeping their respect. Respect is a two way street. If you have their respect, they will do anything for you. If not, they will rule the classroom and hate you.

Just don't be an asshole. I will remember that..
TDeath21
9/16/2014 11:13pm
enketchum wrote:
Good point. Thank you. I am really learning how to discipline while still keeping their respect. Respect is a two way street. If you have their...
Good point. Thank you. I am really learning how to discipline while still keeping their respect. Respect is a two way street. If you have their respect, they will do anything for you. If not, they will rule the classroom and hate you.

Just don't be an asshole. I will remember that..
DBAA, as Jane Margolis would say.
Old-Man
9/17/2014 8:46am
"Respect is a two way street"
This reminded me of my History teacher I had in 12th grade for my first hour class. I would always come in late because I worked late (I was living on my own) he knew what was up.
I would always throw a Egg-McMuffin on his Desk as I walked by he would simply say "good Morning Bill, glad you could join us"

Couldn't imagine my HS having the teachers carry a gun. There is going to come a time when a teacher is going to scuffle with a big ass student or more and the student is going to take the gun away and unload on all around.
TG130
9/17/2014 3:40pm
Old-Man wrote:
[b]"Respect is a two way street"[/b] This reminded me of my History teacher I had in 12th grade for my first hour class. I would always...
This reminded me of my History teacher I had in 12th grade for my first hour class. I would always come in late because I worked late (I was living on my own) he knew what was up.
I would always throw a Egg-McMuffin on his Desk as I walked by he would simply say "good Morning Bill, glad you could join us"

Couldn't imagine my HS having the teachers carry a gun. There is going to come a time when a teacher is going to scuffle with a big ass student or more and the student is going to take the gun away and unload on all around.
Or the teacher will end up on the losing end of a scuffle and end up pulling out the gun and shooting the student. It's also alarming how many people there are out there, that have legal permits to carry, but have no idea how to actually handle a firearm, like this teacher here. Makes me cringe to think what could happen if this teacher opened fire during an actual emergency.

The Shop

Titan1
9/17/2014 3:45pm
Old-Man wrote:
[b]"Respect is a two way street"[/b] This reminded me of my History teacher I had in 12th grade for my first hour class. I would always...

TG130 wrote:
Or the teacher will end up on the losing end of a scuffle and end up pulling out the gun and shooting the student. It's also...
Or the teacher will end up on the losing end of a scuffle and end up pulling out the gun and shooting the student. It's also alarming how many people there are out there, that have legal permits to carry, but have no idea how to actually handle a firearm, like this teacher here. Makes me cringe to think what could happen if this teacher opened fire during an actual emergency.
Accidents happen...

I know of a very well trained, very capable individual who had a gun go off accidentally into the floor of his home...I would more than trust this man in an emergency situation.

enketchum
9/17/2014 4:07pm
I have students in my class who could easily over power me. These are the students you have to get on your side. I have heard stories about new students coming into the class and threatening the teacher when they don't like the rules or something. The new student will get up in the teacher's face while the big student, teacher's friend, starts getting out of his seat....
hvaughn88
9/17/2014 4:22pm
Things must be changing very rapidly. It hasn't even been 10 years since I graduated high school and I can tell you right now, if me, or anyone would have even thought about getting in the face of a lot of my male teachers, they would have knocked my dick in the dirt. Can't imagine what would have happened if you did it to a female teacher.
Titan1
9/17/2014 4:26pm
Kids these days have no respect...and that's the problem.

I was taught to respect teachers/police/parents/friends parents/etc. and as a result, I'd never dream of getting in their face...

Kids these days never have been taught that...the destruction of the family is ruining this country.
enketchum
9/17/2014 6:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
Kids these days have no respect...and that's the problem. I was taught to respect teachers/police/parents/friends parents/etc. and as a result, I'd never dream of getting in...

I was taught to respect teachers/police/parents/friends parents/etc. and as a result, I'd never dream of getting in their face...

Kids these days never have been taught that...the destruction of the family is ruining this country.
I try to teach respect in the classroom but these kids don't really know what it means to respect someone, or more importantly, what it feels like to be respected. I show them respect and ask for it in return.

We are more than half Asian. (Most of) those kids know respect. I think it's American homes and upbringing
hvaughn88
9/17/2014 6:47pm
Titan1 wrote:
Kids these days have no respect...and that's the problem. I was taught to respect teachers/police/parents/friends parents/etc. and as a result, I'd never dream of getting in...

enketchum wrote:
I try to teach respect in the classroom but these kids don't really know what it means to respect someone, or more importantly, what it feels...
I try to teach respect in the classroom but these kids don't really know what it means to respect someone, or more importantly, what it feels like to be respected. I show them respect and ask for it in return.

We are more than half Asian. (Most of) those kids know respect. I think it's American homes and upbringing
Can't argue with that last statement. I gotta admit the Asian stereotype was running through my head when a math teacher mentions half his students are Asian, haha
enketchum
9/18/2014 11:04am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 11:05am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Can't argue with that last statement. I gotta admit the Asian stereotype was running through my head when a math teacher mentions half his students are...
Can't argue with that last statement. I gotta admit the Asian stereotype was running through my head when a math teacher mentions half his students are Asian, haha
Some of them are lazy but they still show respect and take responsibility for their actions. Other student's will make excuses when they don't bring homework, but most of the asian students who don't have homework will just say they don't have it and tell you why. There are excuses and there are reasons.

One thing I can say about my district is that parents reply to emails FAST!! I just wrote 4 emails and have received responses to 3 in less than 10 minutes.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/18/2014 2:35pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Can't argue with that last statement. I gotta admit the Asian stereotype was running through my head when a math teacher mentions half his students are...
enketchum wrote:
Some of them are lazy but they still show respect and take responsibility for their actions. Other student's will make excuses when they don't bring homework...
Some of them are lazy but they still show respect and take responsibility for their actions. Other student's will make excuses when they don't bring homework, but most of the asian students who don't have homework will just say they don't have it and tell you why. There are excuses and there are reasons.

One thing I can say about my district is that parents reply to emails FAST!! I just wrote 4 emails and have received responses to 3 in less than 10 minutes.
Email and power school are great because as parents we get the information now and not when report cards come out. All the teachers we have contacted get back to us right away and we can fix the problem (my son was falling asleep in class) before it gets to a point of no return.
enketchum
9/19/2014 7:02pm
We just ended our fourth week and I am writing emails about missing hw, sleeping in class, doing other classes work in class, going to the bathroom for 20 minutes, etc. These students only do the easy bad things. There is no fighting, arguing, yelling, etc.
the_wood109
9/19/2014 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 7:35pm
While I'm glad that you are enjoying being a teacher, this thread is about a teacher that mishandled a weapon.

It's funny how the discussion changes from a teacher that shot the toilet they were sitting on to kids and teachers being the problem.

Credit to newman for understanding that a person that shots the toilet out from under them probably isn't the best candidate to protect children.

Post a reply to: Teacher Shoots self in leg

The Latest