TV

borg
I have pretty much just stopped watching TV unless there is a special event or sporting event. I cant stand any of the cable news channels. I turn it on when I go to bed because of my Tinitus. I usually find a movie to fall asleep to. The only programs I watch with any regularity is early in the morning before I roll it out. It's down to C-Span, Squawk Box and occasionally Golf Channel. I used to watch Morning Joe but I cant watch it anymore. The TV is off by 6:00 am and doesn't come back on until bed time around 9:00. I fill the time with music and news hunting on the internet.

I would actually like to get interested in a TV series of some sort in the early evenings. Any recommendations? I like crime dramas like Dexter and Breaking Bad.
|
MR. X
2/22/2017 10:01am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 10:05am
For as little time as I can get in to watch TV ,I usually end up watching south Park or tosh.o ,something along those lines that I don't have to commit to watching all the time to know what's going on. The only show that I watch weekly (during its season) is a show on A&E called Halt and catch fire ,my wife was watching it one night and I got sucked in . It's about the rise of the home computer industry (I know,sounds intriguing) It's actually really good the way they follow the characters and the cut throat stuff that went on in the 80s.
ocscottie
2/22/2017 10:28am
"I like crime dramas"

I do to, like the real life crime solving shows, i watch Forensic Files practically every day and just found a new show called "Flipped: A Mobster Tells All" its pretty old but catch repeats late at night on one of the Discovery networks, it is some wild shit!! Mob guys who turned into snitches and somehow still made it out alive tell their stories.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
2/22/2017 11:35am
ocscottie wrote:
[i]"I like crime dramas"[/i] I do to, like the real life crime solving shows, i watch Forensic Files practically every day and just found a new...
"I like crime dramas"

I do to, like the real life crime solving shows, i watch Forensic Files practically every day and just found a new show called "Flipped: A Mobster Tells All" its pretty old but catch repeats late at night on one of the Discovery networks, it is some wild shit!! Mob guys who turned into snitches and somehow still made it out alive tell their stories.
The First 48 is also really good. It started about 13 years ago and is still on A&E. I believe over 300 episodes have been made. It's about the first 48 hours of investigation in crime cases.

Snapped on Oxygen channel is good if you like cases of women who commit murder and why.
Homey55
2/22/2017 12:31pm
Hell on Wheels and Longmire are great shows (Westerns). You can watch the whole series on Netflix but I think they are A&E shows.

The Shop

ocscottie
2/22/2017 12:48pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
The First 48 is also really good. It started about 13 years ago and is still on A&E. I believe over 300 episodes have been made...
The First 48 is also really good. It started about 13 years ago and is still on A&E. I believe over 300 episodes have been made. It's about the first 48 hours of investigation in crime cases.

Snapped on Oxygen channel is good if you like cases of women who commit murder and why.
Ya i still watch First 48 now and then, i dont know how i got so hooked on real life crime drama shows, i can seriously was Forensic Files all day long. The DNA shit is so mind boggling and how they piece clues together to solve stuff is such a trip. I asked my brother if he would ever want to be a detective (he is a cop) and that doesnt interest him one bit, kinda weird.
2/22/2017 4:14pm
Big fan of The First 48 here too. 'After the First 48' was also really good.
akillerwombat
2/22/2017 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 4:45pm
I've been working at a place revamping the Cold Case Files show (it will be on A&E), haven't seen any full episodes yet but the raw footage is looking amazing.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/22/2017 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 5:00pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
The First 48 is also really good. It started about 13 years ago and is still on A&E. I believe over 300 episodes have been made...

ocscottie wrote:
Ya i still watch First 48 now and then, i dont know how i got so hooked on real life crime drama shows, i can seriously...
Ya i still watch First 48 now and then, i dont know how i got so hooked on real life crime drama shows, i can seriously was Forensic Files all day long. The DNA shit is so mind boggling and how they piece clues together to solve stuff is such a trip. I asked my brother if he would ever want to be a detective (he is a cop) and that doesnt interest him one bit, kinda weird.
Im obsessed too. Not of First 48, though. Mine is Forensic Files but also, any crime documentaries too. I mean, its to the point I where Ive seen most on Netflix/Amazon/YouTube. Ive seen some doozies! (Paradise lost 1 & 3, Cropsey, Making a Murder was good at first, etc.). Hell, Ive thought about starting a crime doc recommendation thread but I figured that may be too much.

Ive decided Im weird. Space, crime, MX, physics, etc., I cant seem to get enough of all of them.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
2/22/2017 5:16pm
Southland, True Detective (season 1 only), Longmire, Hell on Wheels, and Justified are some of my favorite TV shows of all time. Justified takes the cake for me.

Southland is on Hulu, and I think they occasionally show it on some channels. True Detective is on HBO's on demand thing as well as Blu Ray. Longmire and Hell on Wheels are on Netflix. Unfortunately, I think Justified is only available on Blu Ray.
MR. X
2/22/2017 6:14pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Ninja turtles and PJ Mask at our house
Ya,i didn't include the time the TV has mickey mouse and friends on .
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/22/2017 6:44pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Ninja turtles and PJ Mask at our house
MR. X wrote:
Ya,i didn't include the time the TV has mickey mouse and friends on .
Cherish those days.
borg
2/22/2017 6:59pm
I knew you guys would come through. I now have some stuff to check out. Thanks.
gabrielito
2/22/2017 8:15pm
borg wrote:
I have pretty much just stopped watching TV unless there is a special event or sporting event. I cant stand any of the cable news channels...
I have pretty much just stopped watching TV unless there is a special event or sporting event. I cant stand any of the cable news channels. I turn it on when I go to bed because of my Tinitus. I usually find a movie to fall asleep to. The only programs I watch with any regularity is early in the morning before I roll it out. It's down to C-Span, Squawk Box and occasionally Golf Channel. I used to watch Morning Joe but I cant watch it anymore. The TV is off by 6:00 am and doesn't come back on until bed time around 9:00. I fill the time with music and news hunting on the internet.

I would actually like to get interested in a TV series of some sort in the early evenings. Any recommendations? I like crime dramas like Dexter and Breaking Bad.
Ancient Aliens and Finding Bigfoot are pretty awesome.
JW381
2/22/2017 9:00pm
I love Golf Channel. It's either great entertainment, or soothing background noise (for the tinitus). I would watch Golf Channel just about every night. Now I miss having cable.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/22/2017 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2017 9:17pm
I like "Suits" and "Shooter" "Ice" is ok but not great but I really like Hells Kitchen .Evil and of course "The Simpsons"
I do record a lot of old movies off of TCM "Turner Classic movies" lots of good old stuff.
JPT
2/22/2017 9:30pm
Homey55 wrote:
Hell on Wheels and Longmire are great shows (Westerns). You can watch the whole series on Netflix but I think they are A&E shows.
A&E dropped Longmire so Netflex picked it up for new episodes. Great show, not Justified great but what is?

Check out Stranger Things on Netflex, but be warned you may get sucked in and watch the whole thing.
APLMAN99
2/22/2017 11:12pm
I record most of the prime time sitcoms and watch them occasionally when I can skip commercials and they only take 17 minutes each......

I know it's kind of a silly show, but I always make time for Life in Pieces. Stupid show but I absolutely love it. I like to watch TV to "escape" sometimes, and that inane stuff is just about right. Still like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and even The Middle.

As for dramas, I really tried to get into The Young Pope, but just couldn't. I am ecstatic that Billions is back, though! And I'm just about dying for the next season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If model myself after Larry David as he portrays himself in that show!
Mixer up
2/23/2017 6:46am
Anyone else like Street Outlaws? Plot seems scripted, but the racing is interesting
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/23/2017 7:05am
I used to love the first 48 but now all the criminals say, "i have seen this show and now i know i don't have to say shit. " It gives the crooks a defense now.
I watch the golf channel the most. Archer is my favorite show right now. Also watch Gotham. I can watch fishing on Direct tv almost any hour of the day too.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/23/2017 9:16am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I record most of the prime time sitcoms and watch them occasionally when I can skip commercials and they only take 17 minutes each...... I know...
I record most of the prime time sitcoms and watch them occasionally when I can skip commercials and they only take 17 minutes each......

I know it's kind of a silly show, but I always make time for Life in Pieces. Stupid show but I absolutely love it. I like to watch TV to "escape" sometimes, and that inane stuff is just about right. Still like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and even The Middle.

As for dramas, I really tried to get into The Young Pope, but just couldn't. I am ecstatic that Billions is back, though! And I'm just about dying for the next season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. If model myself after Larry David as he portrays himself in that show!
I also tried getting into The Young Pope but just like you I couldn't get into it. I know it's already renewed for a second season and I doubt I'll give it a second chance. As for Billions I'm happy that it's back for a second season. Can'twait to see where it goes.

Late last year I watched a series called Quarry on HBO/Cinemax and I found that one to be pretty good. I started a thread on it a while back but it got no traction. It's about a Vietnam war vet that comes back home after the war and feels out of place and doesn't know what to do with himself. He gets an offer from a guy known as The Broker to go work for him as a hitman. Takes place in Tennessee in the early 1970's. 10 episodes. No idea if it's been renewed for a second season yet.

Anyone else seen that show?
MudPup545
2/23/2017 12:17pm
My viewing habits are
1) Fox News
2) Brooklyn Nine Nine
3) Cheers on Netflix
4) Motocross/Supercross/GNCC
And that is about it as far as regular shows that I watch a lot. I will surf occasionally and stop on The First 48.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
2/23/2017 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2017 4:41pm
Mentioned above already, but Justified is good. Hell on Wheels too if you like westerns (and it is based on true events). And Halt and Catch Fire- another one based on true events (loosely based). Basically the early days of the computer industry.

I love Homeland, first few Seasons were incredible.

Same for the Americans on FX. 80's era cold war Russian spies in the US. Kerri Russell has a few great sex scenes...

Breaking Bad is pretty much regarded as one of the best series. Ever.

And if you liked that, Better Call Saul is a good spin-off but different vibe. Still a well written show.

I really enjoyed Narco's- based on Pablo Escobar's life. They renewed it for another season with the remaining characters (plot spoiler- Escobar dies).

MR. X
2/23/2017 5:06pm
Mixer up wrote:
Anyone else like Street Outlaws? Plot seems scripted, but the racing is interesting
I DVR it , it does seem scripted, but man can those dudes build a car.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/23/2017 5:26pm
Mixer up wrote:
MR. X wrote:
I DVR it , it does seem scripted, but man can those dudes build a car.

borg
2/24/2017 7:19pm
So far I have watched four episodes of season one of Justified. It needs to get better. I signed up for Amazon Prime. I gave them a bunch of shit about a year ago and accused them of signing me up without my permission. They reversed the charges and took me off. I hate it when I have to go crawling back after throwing such a snit. Maybe I'll look up the thread so you guys can rub it in.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/25/2017 10:53am
borg wrote:
So far I have watched four episodes of season one of Justified. It needs to get better. I signed up for Amazon Prime. I gave them...
So far I have watched four episodes of season one of Justified. It needs to get better. I signed up for Amazon Prime. I gave them a bunch of shit about a year ago and accused them of signing me up without my permission. They reversed the charges and took me off. I hate it when I have to go crawling back after throwing such a snit. Maybe I'll look up the thread so you guys can rub it in.
I'm not an Amazon Prime member but since you have it you mine as well check out The Man In The High Castle. It's exclusive to Amazon Prime and apparently the show is really good. I know it has good reviews.

Not a 100% sure what it's about but I believe it's along the lines of if Hitler had won WWII. Show takes place in the US. Pretty much all I know but apparently it's something else.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1740299/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

And here's the show Quarry I mentioned on the first page http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2980696/?ref=m_nv_sr_1
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/26/2017 10:12am
There is a new series on Amazon called Patriot. Its kind of like a cross between the TV series Fargo, Better call Saul, with some spy stuff thrown in. Quirky, funny, and interesting.

Post a reply to: TV

The Latest