Streaming 4k Content ( Netflix, Prime, etc)

So I've been learning about 4k content after not quite exercising the best self control over this black friday / cyber monday weekend.

It turns out that only Microsoft's edge browser on windows 10, paired with Intel's latest 7th generation Kaby Lake processor will stream true 4k content from Netflix on PC, While amazon prime will only stream 4k content through it's built in apps on select smart t.v.'s

Most higher end streaming devices are capable of 4k content though, Roku's " 4 " model and the Chromecast Ultra being the best value's for that type of solution, while most smart tv's built in netflix or amazon apps are capable of streaming true 4k content out of the box...

Pretty counter intuitive considering high end pc's have long had the capability to process and manage high quality digital content.

Even if 4k isn't your thing and you're paying for Netflix's "Hd" monthly package, Google's Chrome browser and Mozilla's firefox are capped at 720p streams, Again, Only Microsoft's Edge browser Offering true 1080p content for your $..

You can quickly check which resolution you're getting in any browser by pressing CNTRL, SHIFT, ALT and D at the same time to pull up Netflix's built in performance menu, simply exit this by pressing the grey ex in the top right of your screen. ( doesn't change settings, only shows performance metrics. "

this is kinda of disappointing as most people aren't aware of these limitations are wasting a few bucks a month for upgraded packages and not receiving what they payed for,

Hope this helps anyone else whose made the jump to 4k this holiday season, Here are a few of the most useful links I've found about all of this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsof…

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3143631/streaming-media/4k-netflix-video…

|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/28/2016 10:25am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2016 10:26am
I almost did the same thing this weekend too! But to be honest, I am still too confused with the 4K ins and outs. Frankly, I could research it and learn but its not important enough for me to even do that at this time. My brain is very small and if I put 4K info in it, I could very well die.

I think Georgie got one not too long ago, so he prolly has some good info. He seems to be pretty smart on stuff.
11/28/2016 10:33am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2016 10:37am
I stream Netflix through the new Xbox one that is 4k to my 4k vizio. So I'm getting it. But seriously not much of a difference between that and 1080p.

So I don't play games a lot but I got battlefield 1 for $27 on Black Friday and I have an Xbox so......that's the nice thing about having a new Xbox it's 4k and you can pop a game in if you're feeling 20 again at any time. I haven't streamed movies on a PC since 2007 in college. I use TVs.
11/29/2016 6:50am
I stream Netflix through the new Xbox one that is 4k to my 4k vizio. So I'm getting it. But seriously not much of a difference...
I stream Netflix through the new Xbox one that is 4k to my 4k vizio. So I'm getting it. But seriously not much of a difference between that and 1080p.

So I don't play games a lot but I got battlefield 1 for $27 on Black Friday and I have an Xbox so......that's the nice thing about having a new Xbox it's 4k and you can pop a game in if you're feeling 20 again at any time. I haven't streamed movies on a PC since 2007 in college. I use TVs.
Don't you have to pay for the Netflix 4k package to get it?
If you have a 4k Vizio then I would assume it has the Netflix app built into the TV already.
11/29/2016 7:55am
Yeah, most modern smart tv's will have the apps built in, and they're the best way to stream 4k. You will still need the ultra HD package from netflix though,

Really getting into it over the weekend I'm surprised how little 4k content there really is out there, plus the actual options to view it are limited as well...

Seems like it's still a year or so off from becoming mainstream, although 4k content for races / sports would be aaaaaaaamazing.

The Shop

Hut
11/29/2016 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2016 8:13pm
I bought a Samsung UN65KS800D about 2 months ago and paired it with a Samsung UBD-K8500 4K blu ray disk player. I gotta say the few videos we have purchased are jaw dropping. I have been too busy working lately to worry about it much but the Football games on regular HD are pretty badass. I really wish they were broadcast in UHD though.
Ted722
11/29/2016 9:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2016 9:27pm
Definitely an interesting topic, which leads to another question. I'm reading that 4k uses about 4 times as much data than regular HD.

Do you guys have ISP's that are starting to impose data bandwidth caps on your internet connections? Did you change providers as a result?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140218/11532626269/house-cards-4k-w…
71Fish
11/30/2016 4:11am
That's interesting Georgie about there not being much difference. I haven't seen a side by side. I can't really tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either, but both of our TVs are older, one each.
Could probably get a kick ass deal on a huge 1080p TV considering how low 4k prices dropped.
rancor19
12/1/2016 4:14am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 4:17am
I notice the difference. I recently bought the xbox one/vizio 4k ultra tv setup myself and stream Netflix straight to the tv. You don't have a netflix button on your remote, Georgie? As mentioned, you'll need the 4k upgrade($2/month), as well.
Nature-type shows are pretty stunning.
I read something not too long ago that said Hollywood and most other big-money produced stuff has been shot in 4k for about the last two decades but reformatted and saved in 2k. They didn't think they'd need it in 4k due to average theater screen size or something like that or we'd already have a ton of 4k content.
SEE ARE125
12/1/2016 7:07am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 7:10am
I found this chart interesting when I was looking into 4K TVs. According to the chart, the further away you sit(with the same size TV) the less noticeable 4K(or even 1080p) becomes. A 60" 720P TV at 15ft won't look any different than a 1080P or 4K tv. This also explains why there's such a drastic difference when looking at them in the store, because you're standing 2-3 ft away from the TV at the time.

12/1/2016 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 3:28pm
Ted722 wrote:
Definitely an interesting topic, which leads to another question. I'm reading that 4k uses about 4 times as much data than regular HD. Do you guys...
Definitely an interesting topic, which leads to another question. I'm reading that 4k uses about 4 times as much data than regular HD.

Do you guys have ISP's that are starting to impose data bandwidth caps on your internet connections? Did you change providers as a result?

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140218/11532626269/house-cards-4k-w…
Kind of, Luckily comcast in chicago has a 1tb data cap per month, which is enough with hd content streaming, all the web browsing and gaming I do.

A UHD Blue Ray player was on my list until I realized you could get one and a great platform to stream media with in the living room and a basic, fun gaming system all in one for $250 with the Xbox one, so I'm going that route.

You're right about distance having an impact on perceptible fidelity, but in real life you can absolutely tell the difference at any distance, I've been working with a 4k panel at my computer and that's where it shines.

It's unreal seeing all the little details missing in 1080p, plus the real estate for a working environment is great, whole spreadsheets and documents side by side makes everything easier.

Hollywood is really locking down content provided digitally in fear of it being captured and redistributed illegally, that's why we're seeing such a limited amount of media across all the providers, hopefully that'll change over the next year or so.

Seems like " we're " ready for it, they just need to provide the content now.

if you guys didn't make the jump over this holiday sales season, next year will def. be the time. I think we're going to see most media coming out in 4k pretty soon, netflix already has made the jump on all of their original series, just need to straighten out the accessibility across the various streaming platforms. . .

I'm not into other sports besides bmx & moto but I'd watch sooo much baseball, golf or football in uhd just to relax & enjoy it.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
12/1/2016 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 7:25pm
^^^ "if you guys didn't make the jump over this holiday sales season, next year will def. be the time. I think we're going to see most media coming out in 4k pretty soon, netflix already has made the jump on all of their original series, just need to straighten out the accessibility across the various streaming platforms".

I agree, next year sounds like there will be a lot more 4K stuff to watch. That should coincide, in typical electronics fashion, with the newer technology of 5K and 8K that will start rolling out.

In other words, just as we get comfortable with one technology, a new one is launched to perpetuate the buying cycles.

Post a reply to: Streaming 4k Content ( Netflix, Prime, etc)

The Latest