Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story

2/27/2015 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 7:12am
What an incredible flick. Lance must be the greatest fraud of the 20th Century. Connections out the yang that helped him conceal his blatant cheating right in front of millions. All the way up to getting the Feds to shut down an investigation.

What really blew my mind was the section about Jim Jannard, CEO of Oakley. It is not a flattering portrait in terms of his knowledge of Lance's doping.
Begs a few questions. What's the culture at Oakley here, or is he is simply a bystander of Lance's lies? Lance destroyed lives with his bullshit.

|
scooter5002
2/27/2015 7:46pm
A lot of things that are illegal ,immoral, unethical, or in some cases, unsafe, are perfectly acceptable, when it comes to making people money. This is just one more shining example how corrupt so MANY people can be, when it comes to the almighty dollar. Or, more specifically, millions of them.
2/27/2015 8:19pm
Lance is almost frightening in this thing. Just the sheer depth of his deception and lie. Hard to even comprehend. Pretty much a sociopathic individual who helped destroy a generation of athletes.
Uncle Tony
2/28/2015 4:59am
I watched it twice, lance brings a new meaning to the word "rat bastard" sociopathic narcissist
Uncle Tony
2/28/2015 6:01am
This was posted a few weeks back

The Shop

2/28/2015 10:54am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2015 10:59am
The Jim Jannard connection was interesting This guy is obviously a titan in the motocross industry.
The allegation is that he knew about Lance's doping and had conversations with a woman who later lied in court to protect Lance.

Sponsor Oakley turned a blind eye to Lance Armstrong's doping record, journalist David Walsh claims in ABC documentary
By Quentin McDermott
Sandberm
3/1/2015 9:15am
A lot of things that are illegal ,immoral, unethical, or in some cases, unsafe, are perfectly acceptable, when it comes to making people money. This is...
A lot of things that are illegal ,immoral, unethical, or in some cases, unsafe, are perfectly acceptable, when it comes to making people money. This is just one more shining example how corrupt so MANY people can be, when it comes to the almighty dollar. Or, more specifically, millions of them.
Post of the year.

Corruption is rampant everywhere.
IWreckALot
3/1/2015 6:05pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
This was posted a few weeks back
I started that post a few weeks ago.

I have watched the documentary about 10 times. Not all the way through each time but I turn it on in the middle and you get more and more out of it every time you watch it.

The world of cycling is a monster. As I've learned, everyone is doing some form of WADA banned drug or procedure to gain an advantage. The guys that are good at it are the guys that can afford the stuff that isn't tested for. Had Lance not been there and won illegally, someone else would have.

Taking the PED's makes Lance a cheater. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right. It does underline a bigger problem. What makes Lance a piece of shit bigger than the rest is his approach to it all. I had read and heard that Lance "ruined people's lives" throughout the whole deal, but when you watch the documentary, it makes that statement more real than just hearing the phrase.

His apology on Oprah, was ridiculous. It was hardly an apology and definitely wasn't sincere at all.

At this point, I wonder what the Armstrong Estate is looking like. Seems like the courts ruled in favor of Lance's sponsors and Lance has to pay back a LOT of money. After he's paid his attorneys, and paid his damages, I can't imagine he's going to have any money to do anything with. . .
Atmos
3/3/2015 12:58pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I started that post a few weeks ago. I have watched the documentary about 10 times. Not all the way through each time but I turn...

I have watched the documentary about 10 times. Not all the way through each time but I turn it on in the middle and you get more and more out of it every time you watch it.

The world of cycling is a monster. As I've learned, everyone is doing some form of WADA banned drug or procedure to gain an advantage. The guys that are good at it are the guys that can afford the stuff that isn't tested for. Had Lance not been there and won illegally, someone else would have.

Taking the PED's makes Lance a cheater. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it right. It does underline a bigger problem. What makes Lance a piece of shit bigger than the rest is his approach to it all. I had read and heard that Lance "ruined people's lives" throughout the whole deal, but when you watch the documentary, it makes that statement more real than just hearing the phrase.

His apology on Oprah, was ridiculous. It was hardly an apology and definitely wasn't sincere at all.

At this point, I wonder what the Armstrong Estate is looking like. Seems like the courts ruled in favor of Lance's sponsors and Lance has to pay back a LOT of money. After he's paid his attorneys, and paid his damages, I can't imagine he's going to have any money to do anything with. . .
Lance's money(s) have been tied up in trusts in his children's names for years. Which basically means that money will likely never be touched again by anyone outside of the Armstrong family.
I've never once had an issue regarding Lance's usage of varying chemicals and whatnot when it came to cycling. My issue with Lance is twofold
1. His douchebaggery.
2. The way he viciously attacked (litigation) those who spoke out the truth.

Do any of you have a clue as to how many lives he blatantly destroyed to cover his own lies? His character and integrity was shown what it is. It's sociopathic behavior at best. I can only hope that one day Lance will wake up and realize his past transgressions, but I'll not be holding my breath.
huck
3/3/2015 1:07pm
Good for Lance!
Ebs
3/3/2015 1:14pm
I watched this the other day. Holy shit is this guy a piece of work.
71Fish
3/4/2015 5:23am
IWreckALot wrote:
I started that post a few weeks ago. I have watched the documentary about 10 times. Not all the way through each time but I turn...

I'm a huge cycling fan. As I've said here before, every single rider that finished on the podium during Lance's win has been in some kind of trouble for PEDs. Look it up. So yes, if he didn't do it, not only would someone else cheat and win, but they in fact did cheat and win.

It's really silly if you look at TdF history, there are no winners listed for Lance's wins. 2nd and 3rd place are listed, but they cheated as well. See first paragraph.

At that level of cycling, every single guy in the peloton is cheating during the race, or cheating during training. Even though WADA claims to be coming down hard on cycling, they are all still boosting. It is the nature of cycling.
hvaughn88
3/4/2015 6:45am
IWreckALot wrote:

71Fish wrote:
I'm a huge cycling fan. As I've said here before, every single rider that finished on the podium during Lance's win has been in some kind...
I'm a huge cycling fan. As I've said here before, every single rider that finished on the podium during Lance's win has been in some kind of trouble for PEDs. Look it up. So yes, if he didn't do it, not only would someone else cheat and win, but they in fact did cheat and win.

It's really silly if you look at TdF history, there are no winners listed for Lance's wins. 2nd and 3rd place are listed, but they cheated as well. See first paragraph.

At that level of cycling, every single guy in the peloton is cheating during the race, or cheating during training. Even though WADA claims to be coming down hard on cycling, they are all still boosting. It is the nature of cycling.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's not even the PED issue that makes me despise him now. It's the ruining of lives that makes me think he's a terrible human being.
Uncle Tony
3/4/2015 7:57am
I feel the same as hvaughn88, it's kinda hard for me to single out one person when you know a lot of cyclists are committing the same crime, but the way lance went about it was total bullshit, from day one lance struck me as an arrogant ass and I was never a fan
IWreckALot
3/4/2015 8:52am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 8:53am
Uncle Tony wrote:
I feel the same as hvaughn88, it's kinda hard for me to single out one person when you know a lot of cyclists are committing the...
I feel the same as hvaughn88, it's kinda hard for me to single out one person when you know a lot of cyclists are committing the same crime, but the way lance went about it was total bullshit, from day one lance struck me as an arrogant ass and I was never a fan
I agree with both of you guys. Lances actions are what make him a shithead above all others.

But I also won't sweep the drug use under the rug. I believe they need to go back and disqualify anyone based on the same circumstances that sunk Lance's wins. It's almost like they didn't address drug use at all. I know several guys that are on board to allow drug use, but what kind of a sport is that? Why would any parent encourage their child to go into a sport where it is well known that you have to potentially take life altering drugs in order to be competitive.

I can agree to disagree on the idea of not allowing drugs. It's just my opinion. It just drives me nuts that there are rules in place and the name of the game is to get around the rules rather than compete on the merits of the sport.
hvaughn88
3/4/2015 8:59am
Uncle Tony wrote:
I feel the same as hvaughn88, it's kinda hard for me to single out one person when you know a lot of cyclists are committing the...
IWreckALot wrote:
I agree with both of you guys. Lances actions are what make him a shithead above all others. But I also won't sweep the drug use...
I agree with both of you guys. Lances actions are what make him a shithead above all others.

But I also won't sweep the drug use under the rug. I believe they need to go back and disqualify anyone based on the same circumstances that sunk Lance's wins. It's almost like they didn't address drug use at all. I know several guys that are on board to allow drug use, but what kind of a sport is that? Why would any parent encourage their child to go into a sport where it is well known that you have to potentially take life altering drugs in order to be competitive.

I can agree to disagree on the idea of not allowing drugs. It's just my opinion. It just drives me nuts that there are rules in place and the name of the game is to get around the rules rather than compete on the merits of the sport.
Oh, I'm completely on board that the sport needs to be cleaned up and everyone who does PED's should be punished.
jamma10
3/4/2015 9:01am
They did get quite a few of them...

Uncle Tony
3/4/2015 9:21am
Out of the 17 clean riders, I would like to think they did no drugs at all, but something in the back of my head tells me they just didn't get caught, in that sport it's kind of hard to believe that they stayed clean while most of the pursuers were taking PEDS
hvaughn88
3/4/2015 9:23am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Out of the 17 clean riders, I would like to think they did no drugs at all, but something in the back of my head tells...
Out of the 17 clean riders, I would like to think they did no drugs at all, but something in the back of my head tells me they just didn't get caught, in that sport it's kind of hard to believe that they stayed clean while most of the pursuers were taking PEDS
unfortunately, I agree. I've become very jaded in that regard and just assume everyone is doping in cycling now. Sad, but just being honest.
71Fish
3/4/2015 10:43am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's not even the PED issue that makes me despise him now. It's the ruining of lives that...
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's not even the PED issue that makes me despise him now. It's the ruining of lives that makes me think he's a terrible human being.
I'm still a fan of Lance the cyclist, but as a person he leaves much to be desired.
IWreckALot
3/4/2015 11:03am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's not even the PED issue that makes me despise him now. It's the ruining of lives that...
71Fish wrote:
I'm still a fan of Lance the cyclist, but as a person he leaves much to be desired.
He had a compelling story. I wouldn't wish cancer even on him at this point. That's such a shitty disease. But he almost did as much damage as he did good through his charity. And I thought I had heard something about his charity not paying anything out to research. It was an awareness campaign. So the general perception is slightly misrepresented or not represented fully. I may be wrong on that so correct me if I am misremembering.
yzrider314
3/4/2015 2:13pm
Even with all of the attention given to Lance and doping in cycling, I wonder how many current guys still use performance enhancers? Especially leading up to and during the tour. 2,100 miles in 3 weeks with minimal recovery is absolutely brutal on your body.
3/4/2015 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 2:38pm
I met a guy like this in mountain biking back in the nineties.
They tend to leave a trail of destruction.. This was pre internet days and it
took me a few years to figure it all out once I had the research.
I almost got duped into helping him build his house for free, because that's what real
friends do for each other according to him ( insert guilt manipulation here ) .
Was funny how it always went one way as whenever I needed something
he was basically gone, too busy and had no time.
If you meet people like this don't try arguing, being a better person or forgiving them just run.
Punching them out serves no purpose as they have the police on speed dial and
will make you look like you are the crazy one. They tend to be smart.
hillbilly
3/5/2015 3:21am
I'd like to have a jug of the shit Floyd used to pull back that 30 min he lost when popping like a balloon the day before. That had to be some high octane blood additive.
71Fish
3/5/2015 5:26am
IWreckALot wrote:
He had a compelling story. I wouldn't wish cancer even on him at this point. That's such a shitty disease. But he almost did as much...
He had a compelling story. I wouldn't wish cancer even on him at this point. That's such a shitty disease. But he almost did as much damage as he did good through his charity. And I thought I had heard something about his charity not paying anything out to research. It was an awareness campaign. So the general perception is slightly misrepresented or not represented fully. I may be wrong on that so correct me if I am misremembering.
Never heard anything about that as far as I can remember. Wouldn't surprise me at this point.
Shiftfaced
3/5/2015 7:12am
That is what I had heard as well. The LiveStrong foundation was for "cancer awareness".

They would send balloons and flowers to cancer patients. It was not funding research.

Aside from that, I want to believe that cycling is trying to clean up its act. The sustained wattage numbers are coming down, and the antics like hillbilly mentions (pulling huge times off of HARD stages the day after having had blown up) are just not happening.

More than anything, I think a lot of them were forced to play along, even when they did not want to. I think the riders want to bring the integrity back into the sport, and I believe that is slowly happening.

Post a reply to: Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story

The Latest