Stocks

Markopolo400
Edited Date/Time 7/27/2015 6:19pm
Anybody on here play around with stock/day trading?

I've dabbled a small amount with small purchases and sales, but I've always been interested in trying to go a little bigger. Any tips?
|
hvaughn88
7/23/2015 6:55am
you're about to get way more advice than you ever wanted, haha. There's been a few threads pop up like this and they usually end up all going a similar route. Usually, you have one side saying a financial adviser is a waste of money, then the other side will say you get what you pay for. Then they will all let you know how much they made on some of their stocks, haha.
Markopolo400
7/23/2015 7:17am
My almost (One month away) mother in a law is a financial adviser lol. I'm not really hoping to make a living on stocks, just a fun legal way to gamble ha.
borg
7/23/2015 7:23am
Yes, I have done both swing and day trading and I recommend neither. Stick with dabbling if you find it entertaining. Sort of like hitting the blackjack tables once in a while. Retail day traders are the target of professional, institutional hatchet men. They will pick your pocket as soon as you start to go big. Besides, if you make more than a few trades in a day or so, you will be assigned as a "pattern day trader" by your own broker and will have to carry account balance of about $25,000 to continue. I know it sounds intriguing but your odds of hitting it big are around 20 to 1. Your odds of getting scalped are really good, in the scalpers favor.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/23/2015 7:23am
Here is some advice, No one will ever take better care of your money than you.

The Shop

Tpog496
7/23/2015 8:07am
I'd like to get involved in it as well but I don't know where to start. Where do you do it?
Markopolo400
7/23/2015 8:11am
Tpog496 wrote:
I'd like to get involved in it as well but I don't know where to start. Where do you do it?
I've used Scottrade for the few trades I've made. $7 a trade.
Tpog496
7/23/2015 8:15am
How much money do you invest like per month?
Markopolo400
7/23/2015 8:21am
Other than my 401k...None right now lol. A while ago I put a small amount $100-200 into a few stocks and let it sit. I came out about even after the trading fees lol
Sandberm
7/23/2015 10:02am
I'll be honest about it though I do not feel comfortable talking dollar amounts just percentages. And, as per the other threads that got started about this topic, Id listen to Borg.

I started trading in the spring of 2007 WITH NO GUIDANCE and promptly made a 60% return on my money in 3 or 4 months. Thats right a 60% return!!! I was hooked and thought, "THIS IS EASY AND I HAVE A REAL KNACK FOR IT....Then the market turned south, yada yada yada and the next thing you know I've LOST 50% of the money I started with!!! Since then I've kept at it, mostly in the winter when work is slow and Ive gotten to be over the past few years that trading a lot I can make a very few bucks. Did I beat the market? No. Did I lose money? No.

However, this year has gone bad as I cant seem to make a decent trade to save my life. The market is flopping all over the place going sideways and I quit trading in April. And like a gambler addicted to the next roll of the dice, I'll pick it back up this fall with a renewed vigor and positive attitude.

Ive day traded, swing traded, gone long and a few years ago I started shorting stocks. ETF's, penny stocks, big names, little names, heavily traded stocks, lightly traded stocks. Ive targeted sectors, traded the news, studied technical analysis, blah blah blah.
Sandberm
7/23/2015 11:03am
-Only trade what you can afford to lose.
Sandberm
7/23/2015 11:14am
^^^^ I had a longer post and a bunch of it dissapeared after I hit submit....weird. Anyways...

Set a stop loss of 10% on all your trades. Meaning that if the share price goes down you sell and ONLY lose 10%. If you do not you may lose much more or all of your investment or be left holding a stock hoping the share price goes back up. As you get more refined in your trading you may narrow this up to say 2%.

Like Borg said, if you make so many trades in a weeks time (I dont know what that number is)you will be termed a "Pattern Daytrader" and will have to have $25,000 in your account

Have fun. Learn both technical analysis(charts) and fundamental analysis(quarterly reports)

Take small profits, say 2.5% to 5%. Dont expect any stock to double after you buy it. To do this efficiently your going to need to trade say at least $2000 per trade, $5000 would be better. That way the share price doesnt need to go up as much to cover your trading fee.

And lastly and most importantly...ONLY TRADE WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE!!!
IWreckALot
7/23/2015 5:23pm
I've entertained the idea off and on for a few years. Nothing big but just to get a little gamble kick in.

Oddly enough I just ran into a guy that was talking about buying stock and he was saying that the KHC stock is projected to go up to $100 a share and is currently around $75. It's the Heinz/Kraft company. I haven't followed it nor researched it but there is a stock to look into if you'd like. I also like to watch Harley Davidsons stock. It's ticker is HOG.

I'm more curious as to what some of you finance guys like to look at in terms of metrics before buying. How much research and what do you look for in a company?
TX24
7/23/2015 5:46pm
I am no big trader, I will only buy a stock I am willing too hold for about 2 years. I usually hold stock too long, for better or for worse. I wish I had bought Monster, even two years ago when I was saying, I wish I had bought Monster.
I don't like to buy a co that has too much debt.
borg
7/23/2015 6:49pm
I really was not going to do this but I had a weird day and now I want to.

I have completely different advice to an investor vs a trader/stock picker. If you want to pick stocks, you cannot have more that 5% of your risk money in any one stock. That means you have to hold at least 20 stocks. You also need to do 1 hour per week per stock of DD. That's 20 hours a week of stock research. If you do really well, better than 90% of your peers, you will beat the market.

For investors, dollar cost average into ETF's or low cost mutual funds. That's it. You will beat 90% of the stock pickers by the time you hit 60.

A guy explained it to me one time that made perfect sense. If you devote 20 hours a week to stock research vs 20 hours a week to your every day trade or job, which one will make you the most money? It's not even a contest unless you are trading huge amounts every day.

Stick to what makes you money and dollar cost average into ETF's or mutual funds.

That is unless you think you are really slick. Slicker than the sharks at the trading desk at JP Morgan.
SF45
7/23/2015 7:51pm
If ya'll woulda listened to me a few years back... Tongue

SF45
7/23/2015 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 7:59pm

It's actually at $770 today, with the 7 way split.

As far as day trading, I would have no idea. basically, sometimes you know a company is going to get big. Netflix was going to get bigger from 2011 until now. It was obvious Apple was gaining momentum in 2005. Don't see any slam dunks like that around at the moment right now.
Sandberm
7/23/2015 8:23pm
A guy can "Trade the news", but you have to be "thinking" stocks and paying attention. A few examples.

A few years ago when Japan had their massive earthquake and the Fukashima nuclear reactor got flooded by the tsunami was a great opportunity to short(make money on the share price dropping) nuclear stocks. All the uranium stocks dropped 20-40% over the coming weeks as the world turned sour on nuclear power.

TASR. Taser, they make what else but tasers but they also are trying to market their new BODY CAMERAS for cops. So every time this past winter/spring when a cop shot a black thug the stock shot up 5-10%. Easy money.

Russians effing around in the bread basket of Europe(Ukraine) where a lot of wheat is produced....buy the Wheat ETF WEAT. The world was worried the supply of wheat would be disrupted so the price went up.

Ebola virus scare....buy stock in any company that is working on a cure for it...doesnt matter if they have a shot in hell of actually making a drug that works...just that they are trying. But get out quick after youve made a few bucks because everybody knows that its hype.

October forecast for a cold winter...buy natural gas stocks, perhaps coal stocks.

Think stocks when you hear the news and watching Dan Rather gets a lot more interesting.

newmann
7/23/2015 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 8:35pm
Meanwhile, I bought another townhouse today. It is there on the ground and I can drive by and see it. I can get out and pet it. I pay a 70 dollar a month association due and I never have to maintain anything on the exterior or mow the grass and that includes garbage pickup. I just worry about 800 sq. Ft. of interior. I'll be in it for 45 grand when remodeled and it will rent for $775.00 -795.00 month. Taxes , insurance and association dues will total $225.00 per month, maybe $250.00. If it burns to the ground.....IT'S INSURED!Smile
SF45
7/23/2015 8:45pm
newmann wrote:
Meanwhile, I bought another townhouse today. It is there on the ground and I can drive by and see it. I can get out and pet...
Meanwhile, I bought another townhouse today. It is there on the ground and I can drive by and see it. I can get out and pet it. I pay a 70 dollar a month association due and I never have to maintain anything on the exterior or mow the grass and that includes garbage pickup. I just worry about 800 sq. Ft. of interior. I'll be in it for 45 grand when remodeled and it will rent for $775.00 -795.00 month. Taxes , insurance and association dues will total $225.00 per month, maybe $250.00. If it burns to the ground.....IT'S INSURED!Smile
Nice. $775 might get you a backyard storage shed around here, lol.
newmann
7/23/2015 9:28pm
SF45 wrote:
Nice. $775 might get you a backyard storage shed around here, lol.
Prices have been on the rise here locally but not sure things are selling all that well. Asking price on this one was 50 and I came in at 39.sight unseen( I know what to expect) They came back with a counter and then I asked for a viewing. I pointed out what all was wrong and stated that I had bought nicer ones for less in the same area. Done deal at 39, over 20% off asking. Budgeting 6 grand for the light remodel.
brlatm
7/24/2015 3:55am
newmann wrote:
Prices have been on the rise here locally but not sure things are selling all that well. Asking price on this one was 50 and I...
Prices have been on the rise here locally but not sure things are selling all that well. Asking price on this one was 50 and I came in at 39.sight unseen( I know what to expect) They came back with a counter and then I asked for a viewing. I pointed out what all was wrong and stated that I had bought nicer ones for less in the same area. Done deal at 39, over 20% off asking. Budgeting 6 grand for the light remodel.
I am with you Newman, I would rather use my spare cash on side real estate projects versus dumping it into a stock market and playing around with play money. I at least know that I own the outright title to that piece of property and I can control the outcome of renting it versus having stock in a company and the CEO gets caught with hookers and blow in Vegas and the stock tanks and you drop 50k overnight. NO thanks.
Steiny
7/24/2015 5:42pm
Anybody on here play around with stock/day trading? I've dabbled a small amount with small purchases and sales, but I've always been interested in trying to...

I've dabbled a small amount with small purchases and sales, but I've always been interested in trying to go a little bigger. Any tips?
Invest only what you can afford to burn in your fireplace. Ste your stop-lose at a tolerable place so you don't lose the house or too much of your gains when there's an unexpected drop in your stock and stick with it. Don't chase your losses like you would at a black jack table, take them and move on, that the point of a stop-loss Don't be greedy, the point of day trading is to make money, BUT, its easy to get excited when your stock is climbing, and its just as easy to lose it, so set a percentage on your gains and sell when it hits. Penny stocks, learn them, most wealth has been made through penny stocks, its easy to get involved in the market through penny stocks because you can buy volume at a low cost.
borg
7/25/2015 7:11am
Anybody on here play around with stock/day trading? I've dabbled a small amount with small purchases and sales, but I've always been interested in trying to...

Steiny wrote:
Invest only what you can afford to burn in your fireplace. Ste your stop-lose at a tolerable place so you don't lose the house or too...
Invest only what you can afford to burn in your fireplace. Ste your stop-lose at a tolerable place so you don't lose the house or too much of your gains when there's an unexpected drop in your stock and stick with it. Don't chase your losses like you would at a black jack table, take them and move on, that the point of a stop-loss Don't be greedy, the point of day trading is to make money, BUT, its easy to get excited when your stock is climbing, and its just as easy to lose it, so set a percentage on your gains and sell when it hits. Penny stocks, learn them, most wealth has been made through penny stocks, its easy to get involved in the market through penny stocks because you can buy volume at a low cost.
Be careful with stop loss orders. It's OK as long as the stock is widely traded and and very liquid. On thinly traded stocks, the sharks see your order for say 500 shares with a stop loss. They start selling their shares usually in the thousands of shares to drag the price below your limit. Once they take you out, they reload with your money in their pocket.
level
7/25/2015 10:25am
I was day trading back in the dot com boom and lost a shitload of money. This was when IPOS were popping up about 20 a day. It was crazy. My problem was I would sell out and buy another one real quick and then that one I sold ended up going up 500% the next few days. I just kept getting deeper and deeper and was gambling basically. Finally just stopped. Now I hold a few positions long term but I have had no luck making money in the stock market. I always lose money.

I bought a coal stock at 12.00 aci and it was at a 52 week low. It's at .26 cents now. Another one I bought at 10 and it went to 18 and now it's at 13 so made a little money there but I am down about 10,000. I just have the worst luck with stocks.
mauidex
7/27/2015 6:19pm
trading volume is the key my friend................current events.............hot markets and categories................in and out........I usually trade 10,000 shares of whatever so every dime is a grand.............been doing very well since the turnaround in 2008...............the volatility has been my friend............but for sure not a set it and forget it unless you want to invest in total blue chip

Post a reply to: Stocks

The Latest