Stevie Ray Vaughan

Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 5:48pm
27th Aug 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed when the helicopter he was flying in, hit a man-made ski slope while trying to navigate through dense fog. Vaughan had played a show at Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin with Robert Cray & His Memphis Horns, and Eric Clapton. Vaughan was informed by a member of Clapton's crew that three seats were open on a helicopter returning to Chicago with Clapton's crew, it turned out there was only one seat left; Vaughan requested it from his brother, who obliged. Three members of Eric Clapton's entourage were also killed.

Full story here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/stevie_ray_vaughan
|
TailSoHard
8/27/2015 6:37am
Dude was an inspiration to myself and countless others, sad day indeed...
indy_maico
8/27/2015 7:39am
He played 2 nights at Alpine Valley. I saw him there on the 1st night which was on a Saturday.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news on the radio Monday morning 36 hours later!

Later that day (Monday), I saw Bob Dylan in Merrillville, IN at the Star Theatre. After he did a few songs, he said 'we all heard what happened last night, Stevie, this is for you' and then he proceeded to sing 'Moon River'

It was the most surreal event in all my time going to rock concerts. I still don't know why Dylan chose that song, but there must be a story behind it.

The Shop

dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
8/27/2015 12:20pm
I seen him(srv) at Merrillville, IN at the Star Theatre...also at the laporte,in civic center....I feel pretty lucky...
8/27/2015 12:31pm
I was lucky enough to see SRV live outdoors in May, 1988 at the University of Connecticut Spring weekend. It was absolutely amazing. It was cloudy and overcast through the whole set, and just as they played the encore "Couldn't stand the weather", the winds picked up and it started raining, there was thunder and lightning strikes in the distance and I swear it was like something from the Bible. I intentionally held off of the beers until after the show, I wanted to experience SRV in as clear a state of mind as possible in order to fully appreciate the opportunity.
8/27/2015 1:23pm
indy_maico wrote:
He played 2 nights at Alpine Valley. I saw him there on the 1st night which was on a Saturday. I couldn't believe it when I...
He played 2 nights at Alpine Valley. I saw him there on the 1st night which was on a Saturday.

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news on the radio Monday morning 36 hours later!

Later that day (Monday), I saw Bob Dylan in Merrillville, IN at the Star Theatre. After he did a few songs, he said 'we all heard what happened last night, Stevie, this is for you' and then he proceeded to sing 'Moon River'

It was the most surreal event in all my time going to rock concerts. I still don't know why Dylan chose that song, but there must be a story behind it.

I have an uncle that went to both shows.
XXVoid MainXX
8/27/2015 5:21pm
Was always a huge SRV fan and over the years I always wondered why I didn't remember his crash and death as a significant event in my memory. It just dawned on me that I was one of the first ones over to Saudi Arabia after Saddam invaded Kuwait. I deployed to Saudi for the first Gulf War just about 2 weeks prior to his helicopter crash.
Lane-O103
8/27/2015 5:48pm
Haven't really listened to too much SRV but the little bit I have heard is amazing, that dude can shred!

Post a reply to: Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Latest