State of the Union address

Old-Man
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 6:17am
Was wondering who is going to pay for the "FREE" Community College
Sounded terrific when he said it but am I "The Middle class" citizen going to get screwed again by paying more taxes?

Or is he thinking mice are going to turn the wheel that makes electricity for the rooms?
Volunteer teachers
Books are going to print themselves
God will provide the Heating & Air
Puters Materials..ect......

Just one of many things I heard tonight that sounds OUTFUCKINGSTANDING! But who how what is going to pay?
Yes the middle man once again.
Cant wait till my lazy ass neighbor comes across the street to let me know all his Grandkids living with him has college payed for and he just got another check for 5000 each (6 kids single mom living with Mom & Dad)...

GRRR
Sorry for the Rant, I'm sure some will disagree with my thoughts but after your rebuttal please explain to me why can't we ALL work for what we want rather then Rich get incentives and the poor get a by and the Middle man gets &^%$#*@!
|
borg
1/20/2015 7:24pm
Damn! I missed it.
This charade should be done away with. I don't know why any Republican would show up to listen to that bullshit.
wildbill
1/20/2015 7:50pm
I don't know why anyone believes either side. They are both so bought and paid for and both use cognitive dissonance to keep the flock in fear.
1/21/2015 12:48am
It is so easy to go to community college for free already. I don't bother with the financial aid at this point though because it is so cheap to begin with. You can use the Pell grant, and get other scholarships just by filling out the fafsa and writing a one page essay. I don't know how anyone can fall for this shit after the mess that the ACA caused.
Jakes Dad
1/21/2015 2:35am
Projected cost of $80 billion....sounds free enough. And small business owners "promise" they'll be raising pay....riiiiight!

The Shop

tomm55x
1/21/2015 4:19am
Small business owners are getting screwed left and right. Pretty soon there won't be any small businesses left. for the fact of the matter all the political parties are rat bag sons a bitches. They need to stop with this free stuff be it college, insurance whatever. For 1 It's not free, it's cost the middle class and small business owners millions if not billions. 2. the continued lies are convincing the self entitled morons to think that there even more self entitled and don't have to do jack shit to live, it's wrong on so many levels. Like I said, I am pretty soon there will not be any small businesses or middle class left to float the bill, then what?
71Fish
1/21/2015 5:07am
It is so easy to go to community college for free already. I don't bother with the financial aid at this point though because it is...
It is so easy to go to community college for free already. I don't bother with the financial aid at this point though because it is so cheap to begin with. You can use the Pell grant, and get other scholarships just by filling out the fafsa and writing a one page essay. I don't know how anyone can fall for this shit after the mess that the ACA caused.
You are right, there are already so many programs available to make college free or extremely cheap. Maybe they should advertise those better to begin with. I personally used tuition assistance (TA) when I was on active duty. The most I ever had to pay for was books, plus one semester where I reached my cap early I had to cover about half a class out of my own pocket.
hvaughn88
1/21/2015 6:35am
It is so easy to go to community college for free already. I don't bother with the financial aid at this point though because it is...
71Fish wrote:
You are right, there are already so many programs available to make college free or extremely cheap. Maybe they should advertise those better to begin with...
You are right, there are already so many programs available to make college free or extremely cheap. Maybe they should advertise those better to begin with. I personally used tuition assistance (TA) when I was on active duty. The most I ever had to pay for was books, plus one semester where I reached my cap early I had to cover about half a class out of my own pocket.
not to get off topic here, but I think it would be great if active duty/veterans didn't have to pay a dime at all for their education, books, etc. I'm not sure how to do it, I just greatly respect the sacrifices the military makes and giving them a shot at an education seems like the least we could do.
huck
1/21/2015 6:40am
Free healthcare
Free child care
Free college
Free internet
Free maternity pay
Free sick pay

Why should i, as a business owner, have to pay my employees when they don't show up to work? It's not my fault they got sick?
Team Ideal
1/21/2015 7:42am
Please inform me on what I'm missing out on. My son filled out the fasa and he doesn't get shit. We are a solid middle class family but apparently we make to much unless I'm missing something.
1/21/2015 7:47am
huck wrote:
Free healthcare Free child care Free college Free internet Free maternity pay Free sick pay Why should i, as a business owner, have to pay my...
Free healthcare
Free child care
Free college
Free internet
Free maternity pay
Free sick pay

Why should i, as a business owner, have to pay my employees when they don't show up to work? It's not my fault they got sick?
Most employers have a limited amount of sick leave. Do you give unlimited or something?
Or couldn't you fire everybody and set them up as independent contractors?

1/21/2015 8:07am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 8:08am
Team Ideal wrote:
Please inform me on what I'm missing out on. My son filled out the fasa and he doesn't get shit. We are a solid middle class...
Please inform me on what I'm missing out on. My son filled out the fasa and he doesn't get shit. We are a solid middle class family but apparently we make to much unless I'm missing something.
Is he going to a four year or community college? This amazing government program would be just for the first two years at community college. We have foundation scholarships that busineses or just wealthy pepole will donate to. Go to the financial aid office. Every school has one. Usually you just fill out an app, write a little essay and they give you a pretty big chunk of your tuition. Of course you can get more if your gpa is higher.
TailSoHard
1/21/2015 8:19am
hvaughn88 wrote:
not to get off topic here, but I think it would be great if active duty/veterans didn't have to pay a dime at all for their...
not to get off topic here, but I think it would be great if active duty/veterans didn't have to pay a dime at all for their education, books, etc. I'm not sure how to do it, I just greatly respect the sacrifices the military makes and giving them a shot at an education seems like the least we could do.
I believe that's what the Montgomery GI Bill is for, although it's not as helpful nowadays as it was back in WWII
MR. X
1/21/2015 8:31am
This is another reason I get so mad when I see commercials for the wounded warrior programs, there shouldn't have to be a program for us to donate to , the government should be throwing handfuls of money to returning vets . It should be one of the first things to budget money for.
hvaughn88
1/21/2015 8:41am
hvaughn88 wrote:
not to get off topic here, but I think it would be great if active duty/veterans didn't have to pay a dime at all for their...
TailSoHard wrote:
I believe that's what the Montgomery GI Bill is for, although it's not as helpful nowadays as it was back in WWII
gotcha. I don't really know much about it. What all does it cover or account for?
huck
1/21/2015 8:43am
huck wrote:
Free healthcare Free child care Free college Free internet Free maternity pay Free sick pay Why should i, as a business owner, have to pay my...
Free healthcare
Free child care
Free college
Free internet
Free maternity pay
Free sick pay

Most employers have a limited amount of sick leave. Do you give unlimited or something? Or couldn't you fire everybody and set them up as independent...
Most employers have a limited amount of sick leave. Do you give unlimited or something?

I don't give them any 'sick pay'.... If they work, they get paid. If they don't work, I don't pay them... except of the 4 weeks of vacation pay they get each year!
1/21/2015 8:46am
huck wrote:
Free healthcare
Free child care
Free college
Free internet
Free maternity pay
Free sick pay

Most employers have a limited amount of sick leave. Do you give unlimited or something? Or couldn't you fire everybody and set them up as independent...

huck wrote:
I don't give them any 'sick pay'.... If they work, they get paid. If they don't work, I don't pay them... except of the 4 weeks...
I don't give them any 'sick pay'.... If they work, they get paid. If they don't work, I don't pay them... except of the 4 weeks of vacation pay they get each year!
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were complaining about having to may your employees sick pay, and somehow linking it to the state of the union address last night. Glad to see that's not the case, because that would be really silly.
Team Ideal
1/21/2015 8:50am
Team Ideal wrote:
Please inform me on what I'm missing out on. My son filled out the fasa and he doesn't get shit. We are a solid middle class...
Is he going to a four year or community college? This amazing government program would be just for the first two years at community college. We...
Is he going to a four year or community college? This amazing government program would be just for the first two years at community college. We have foundation scholarships that busineses or just wealthy pepole will donate to. Go to the financial aid office. Every school has one. Usually you just fill out an app, write a little essay and they give you a pretty big chunk of your tuition. Of course you can get more if your gpa is higher.
The last two years has been community college, this fall its off to a University. He went in to financial aid office but from what I gathered they told him he was sol. He got a low interest loan but that was about it. The university he's looking at attending is helping out with scholarship information and it looks like he will be eligible for a nice amount but it won't be anywhere near what's needed. I'm assuming it will boil down to more loans. He had a pretty good gpa, not sure who dropped the ball
huck
1/21/2015 8:52am

huck wrote:
I don't give them any 'sick pay'.... If they work, they get paid. If they don't work, I don't pay them... except of the 4 weeks...
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were complaining about having to may your employees sick pay, and somehow linking it to the state of the union...
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were complaining about having to may your employees sick pay, and somehow linking it to the state of the union address last night. Glad to see that's not the case, because that would be really silly.
I'm complaining about the fact that obama will make small businesses offer sick pay and maternity pay to their employees. Did you not listen to that part?
TailSoHard
1/21/2015 8:56am
Team Ideal wrote:
Is he going to a four year or community college? This amazing government program would be just for the first two years at community college. We...
I had good grades and test scores in high school, and also came from a decently well-off middle class family, but I didn't get shit from the government for my education. It seems to me like they want the underprivileged kids from low-income households and under-achieving school districts to have that money, and not the smart, motivated, educated, over-achievers Blink

I don't think the funding of your education should be based on how well off your family is. It's kinda messed up that some kid from the ghetto whose drug-addict parents are on welfare should be able to get the same education as I can (which he should, everyone should have the same opportunities) AND end up having less debt when he's done than I do. My parents busted their asses for years to make sure that I had all the opportunities I needed to succeed, but they are not by any means rich. For some reason though, they still can't get any assistance whatsoever from the government. Oh, and my father even WORKS for the government.

So, the harder you work, the less help you get? Seems kinda bass-ackwards to me Huh

The other messed up part about my personal experience with colleges is that it was roughly the SAME price for me to go to a state-funded university (roughly $20,000/year) as it was for me to go to a highly-respected, private, four-year College (roughly $36,000/year), simply because I got a good ACT score. My Alma Mater gave me $15,000 (yes, fifteen thousand dollars) in scholarships JUST BECAUSE I GOT GOOD GRADES. What did the state university offer me? $1500. Yes, 1/10th of what the private school offered me. So, I aced the state-mandated standardized testing program, but according to the state, that isn't worth jackshit. Yet the kid who does poorly on the test, and comes from a low-income household, gets more financial assistance at the state university than I would?? No thanks, I'll go give my money to the private school.
P
1/21/2015 8:59am
huck wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were complaining about having to may your employees sick pay, and somehow linking it to the state of the union...
huck wrote:
I'm complaining about the fact that obama will make small businesses offer sick pay and maternity pay to their employees. Did you not listen to that...
I'm complaining about the fact that obama will make small businesses offer sick pay and maternity pay to their employees. Did you not listen to that part?
That has to go through a Republican congress doesn't it?

P
TailSoHard
1/21/2015 9:04am
hvaughn88 wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
gotcha. I don't really know much about it. What all does it cover or account for?
When the bill was introduced, you were able to go serve for a predetermined amount of time, and then come back and receive a designated amount of free schooling (usually two years), based on how long you served. The funding for the program quickly ran out, because of the amount of GI's utilizing the program after they came back from the war, and never really got back to the point where it could provide education for 100% of the vet's coming home. Nowadays, I believe you pay a discounted rate upfront while you're serving abroad, and then when you come back, you get that money back plus some to put towards your education.
hvaughn88
1/21/2015 9:06am
TailSoHard wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
When the bill was introduced, you were able to go serve for a predetermined amount of time, and then come back and receive a designated amount...
When the bill was introduced, you were able to go serve for a predetermined amount of time, and then come back and receive a designated amount of free schooling (usually two years), based on how long you served. The funding for the program quickly ran out, because of the amount of GI's utilizing the program after they came back from the war, and never really got back to the point where it could provide education for 100% of the vet's coming home. Nowadays, I believe you pay a discounted rate upfront while you're serving abroad, and then when you come back, you get that money back plus some to put towards your education.
I see. I appreciate you getting me that information.
Team Ideal
1/21/2015 9:16am
Team Ideal wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
I had good grades and test scores in high school, and also came from a decently well-off middle class family, but I didn't get shit from...
I had good grades and test scores in high school, and also came from a decently well-off middle class family, but I didn't get shit from the government for my education. It seems to me like they want the underprivileged kids from low-income households and under-achieving school districts to have that money, and not the smart, motivated, educated, over-achievers Blink

I don't think the funding of your education should be based on how well off your family is. It's kinda messed up that some kid from the ghetto whose drug-addict parents are on welfare should be able to get the same education as I can (which he should, everyone should have the same opportunities) AND end up having less debt when he's done than I do. My parents busted their asses for years to make sure that I had all the opportunities I needed to succeed, but they are not by any means rich. For some reason though, they still can't get any assistance whatsoever from the government. Oh, and my father even WORKS for the government.

So, the harder you work, the less help you get? Seems kinda bass-ackwards to me Huh

The other messed up part about my personal experience with colleges is that it was roughly the SAME price for me to go to a state-funded university (roughly $20,000/year) as it was for me to go to a highly-respected, private, four-year College (roughly $36,000/year), simply because I got a good ACT score. My Alma Mater gave me $15,000 (yes, fifteen thousand dollars) in scholarships JUST BECAUSE I GOT GOOD GRADES. What did the state university offer me? $1500. Yes, 1/10th of what the private school offered me. So, I aced the state-mandated standardized testing program, but according to the state, that isn't worth jackshit. Yet the kid who does poorly on the test, and comes from a low-income household, gets more financial assistance at the state university than I would?? No thanks, I'll go give my money to the private school.
Nailed it.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
1/21/2015 9:16am
huck wrote:
huck wrote:
I'm complaining about the fact that obama will make small businesses offer sick pay and maternity pay to their employees. Did you not listen to that...
He's stupid Huck, don't even bother.
APLMAN99
1/21/2015 9:20am
Team Ideal wrote:
Team Ideal wrote:
The last two years has been community college, this fall its off to a University. He went in to financial aid office but from what I...
The last two years has been community college, this fall its off to a University. He went in to financial aid office but from what I gathered they told him he was sol. He got a low interest loan but that was about it. The university he's looking at attending is helping out with scholarship information and it looks like he will be eligible for a nice amount but it won't be anywhere near what's needed. I'm assuming it will boil down to more loans. He had a pretty good gpa, not sure who dropped the ball
I've got 2 in college right now, and 2 more to go soon.

Financial aid can be tricky, and most of the time people assume they aren't going to get anything so they don't go through the steps. It can take a little bit of effort but if you look at it like earnings per hour, doing all the financial aid homework can make you many hundreds or even thousands per hour.

Filling out the FAFSA gives you a basic EFC (expected family contribution). If that seems high, a lot of people just stop. But that's just the starting point. Once you've done that, it's time to shop schools, scholarships, etc.

One thing that I hadn't realized until my oldest was preparing for college is that the really expensive private schools are often actually "cheaper" to attend than many public schools because of the wide range of scholarships and funding they offer. For example, a lot of highly ranked schools (the Stanfords and Yale types) probably require zero dollars for a student from a family of 4 with an annual income of around $100K. I had no idea about that until we started getting the college letters in the mail after the PSAT testing and such. And by zero, that means no loans, either. Obviously these policies change depending on how well a school's endowment fund holds up, but I remember hearing parents dissuade kids from applying at some good schools when there was a good chance that they were more affordable than where they ended up.
1/21/2015 9:30am
Forgiveness for illegals is a good idea. About 2 million Albertans will be hopping the fence.
Hgibbs566
1/21/2015 9:33am
"More intent on winning elections than on winning progress, he ignores the fact that the country has elected a Congress that favors smaller government and lower taxes," Romney said
TailSoHard
1/21/2015 9:34am
hvaughn88 wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
When the bill was introduced, you were able to go serve for a predetermined amount of time, and then come back and receive a designated amount...
hvaughn88 wrote:
I see. I appreciate you getting me that information.
No problem! Ironically, I wrote a poli-sci paper about it at the college that I paid for by myself
APLMAN99
1/21/2015 9:38am
Hgibbs566 wrote:
"More intent on winning elections than on winning progress, he ignores the fact that the country has elected a Congress that favors smaller government and lower...
"More intent on winning elections than on winning progress, he ignores the fact that the country has elected a Congress that favors smaller government and lower taxes," Romney said
That's all you need to know to keep you from voting for Romney should he ever run for that office again.....
71Fish
1/21/2015 9:40am
hvaughn88 wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
The new Chapter 33 Gi Bill is pretty generous compared to the Chapter 30.
I was able to transfer it (some or all) to my wife. Depending on the work load she took on, she received a monthly check. She never had to pay a dime out of pocket.

With the Chapter 30, the vet paid up front then the VA repaid them. With the new Chapt 33, the VA pays everything up front for you. It is a rally good program.

Post a reply to: State of the Union address

The Latest