Squirrel rescue

Edited Date/Time 11/20/2015 3:45pm
Sheesh. The other day, my cat got the best of an adult squirrel in the back yard. About a day later, I hear a high pitched squeal out in the yard. Thought the cat had gotten another one, or maybe a bird.

I peer up into the tree, I see a little tiny squirrel , maybe 5-6 weeks old. Thinking the one my cat got was it's mother. He hangs around for a minute, and then back up the tree. Next day, he is down lower, screaming loud. Know he is not going to make it long with my cat on the prowl.

I shoo him back up the tree. Yesterday, he is down the tree lower than ever. Screaming like crazy. As I am sitting at my garage desk, I see him on the back patio. Before I could get out there, he has jumped up on the sliding screen door, screaming, and wanting in.

I got a glove, and grabbed him off the door. He just sat in my hand, not offering to get away. After a bit, I put him back in the tree, but he ran right back , nearly jumping into my hand.

Grabbed him back up, put him in a pet carrier, with some apple, celery leaves, and a few oak clippings. Eating like crazy.

Came up with a bit bigger cage . Picked up some raw pecans, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds, along with a drip water bottle.

I am guessing he is anywhere from 5-8 weeks old. He seems like he is eating the solid stuff so far.

Just wanted to try and give him a chance at making it. Seems in good shape. I was planning on letting him get a bit bigger, then setting the cage out back, with the door open.

Any suggestions on keeping him alive until then ? Trying the best I know how.

|
PalerBlue
11/19/2015 10:51am
Seems like a nice new pet! He's obviously not scared of you, especially now you've fed him. So he's not going to want to leave 'home'. Trouble is, cat's are no respectors of small animals, 'pets' or otherwise. My cats broke open my canaries' cage and ate them all.
Uncle Tony
11/19/2015 11:00am
Man that's a good dinner for some vital members! That's nice of you to rescue the little guy! My last cattle dog use to get squirrels all the time I hated the high pitch squeal they put out when hurt, I love all animals, good luck raising him
11/19/2015 11:01am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 11:01am
PalerBlue wrote:
Seems like a nice new pet! He's obviously not scared of you, especially now you've fed him. So he's not going to want to leave 'home'...
Seems like a nice new pet! He's obviously not scared of you, especially now you've fed him. So he's not going to want to leave 'home'. Trouble is, cat's are no respectors of small animals, 'pets' or otherwise. My cats broke open my canaries' cage and ate them all.
My cat is very territorial. Anything in the yard is considered the enemy. Had to chase her off another cat who was in her space just the other day. She was kicking the crap out of the other cat, so much that a young girl on her bike stopped to break it up.

Sorry about your birds. I rescued a small parakeet years ago that flew into our back glass door. Did not think he was going to make it, but kept him for 5-6 years, then he passed.

I have tried to secure the cage. Zip ties in all of the corners, doors, suspect weak spots.

Mainly concerned with the diet.

The Shop

Titan1
11/19/2015 11:10am
I'd get rid of the cat and keep the squirrel...lol (but I'm allergic to cats...)
Titan1
11/19/2015 11:13am
Now I kind of want a pet squirrel...
G-man
11/19/2015 11:23am
Good job man.

Maybe call Game and Fish for some ideas.
Can't imagine hearing it screaming for help.
MR. X
11/19/2015 11:31am
I notice the squirrels in my front yard love to eat from the bird feeder. When we were kids my dad used to throw a piece of bread with peanut butter outside for them,it got to the point they would scratch at the back door . Don't eat it though ,they taste like hot garbage.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
11/19/2015 11:32am
Awesome stuff my neighbor had one for years he could take him out of the cage let him run around the trees then he would come back and get in the cage.
11/19/2015 11:36am
Titan1 wrote:
I'd get rid of the cat and keep the squirrel...lol (but I'm allergic to cats...)
Got the cat 10 years ago. Used to run with an unsavory crowd. One of them owned quite a bit of acreage. Had a problem with strays, so he would load up his shotgun, and....

One day while there, drinking more than a few, he gets ready to do some hunting on the strays. I saw one little kitten , run under a trailer. The guy sat there waiting for it to come out. Well, the kitten came out on the other side.

I ran over and grabbed it up, told him he is not capping this one, and she's been around here ever since.
She's a great shop cat.

peelout
11/19/2015 12:04pm
cat's are assholes. keep the squirrel bro
Spydee
11/19/2015 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 12:08pm
peelout wrote:
I almost said the same until I read his story about saving the then kitten from a shotgun shell so I didn't want to come across as a dick Laughing
Grieby54
11/19/2015 1:02pm
peelout wrote:
This.
IWreckALot
11/19/2015 1:45pm
I went squirrel hunting this season for the first time. Did pretty good.

Speaking of varmints, my australian shepherd nabbed a raccoon the other night. I opened my blinds and she had it in her mouth just maiming the shit out of it. I went out there hoping to find either a dead raccoon, or to find the raccoon running off. Worst fear came true. It was only half dead. Didn't want my dogs to finish it off and risk getting bit or clawed so I went and got my .22 and shot the damn thing. I was left with a raccoon that was about 75% dead after that. Didn't want to shoot again because it was dead silent in my neighborhood and last thing I wanted was the police at my door at 3am. Left it to die in the shed then took it and dumped it the next morning.

My dogs are assholes also.
peelout
11/19/2015 1:59pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I went squirrel hunting this season for the first time. Did pretty good. Speaking of varmints, my australian shepherd nabbed a raccoon the other night. I...
I went squirrel hunting this season for the first time. Did pretty good.

Speaking of varmints, my australian shepherd nabbed a raccoon the other night. I opened my blinds and she had it in her mouth just maiming the shit out of it. I went out there hoping to find either a dead raccoon, or to find the raccoon running off. Worst fear came true. It was only half dead. Didn't want my dogs to finish it off and risk getting bit or clawed so I went and got my .22 and shot the damn thing. I was left with a raccoon that was about 75% dead after that. Didn't want to shoot again because it was dead silent in my neighborhood and last thing I wanted was the police at my door at 3am. Left it to die in the shed then took it and dumped it the next morning.

My dogs are assholes also.
so first your dog maimed it, then you pity gut-shot the damn thing, then left it to die in the shed?

damn bro, what Crossfit gym to you go to?

ps... squirrel "hunting" is easily the most fun you'll ever have shooting a .22 lol
11/19/2015 2:18pm
Vividly recall my first "hunting" experience at 10 years old. Had a little daisy one pump chump BB gun. Took the screen off the second floor window one day, and sighted in on a bird in a tree. Was aiming for it's ass, but when I made the shot, and dropped it, I ran outside to take a look.

There it was standing there, with one eye blown out of it's head. The eye was about the same size as the BB.

He did not last long afterwards.

I am probably going to be stuck with the squirrel for a while. Just hoping it will somehow want to re- acclimate to the outdoors one day.

Guess I'm a sucker for the stray shit...
IWreckALot
11/19/2015 2:24pm
peelout wrote:
so first your dog maimed it, then you pity gut-shot the damn thing, then left it to die in the shed? damn bro, what Crossfit gym...
so first your dog maimed it, then you pity gut-shot the damn thing, then left it to die in the shed?

damn bro, what Crossfit gym to you go to?

ps... squirrel "hunting" is easily the most fun you'll ever have shooting a .22 lol
I felt bad man. I thought for sure that one shot in the head would put it down. After I pulled the trigger, my neighbor flushed the toilet so I know they were awake and heard the one shot. And the damn thing wasn't dead. If there would have been wind for cover noise, I would have put a couple more in it just to finish the job, but I'm not about to get the police called on me for shooting a firearm in city limits.

I loved squirrel hunting. I'm ready to go out again. I was actually out on hunting land shooting at them with a 20ga shotgun. Those squirrels are some elusive critters out in the country. Nothing like the city squirrels we get around the neighborhood.
JM485
11/19/2015 3:22pm
Nice job saving it, I'm the same way I just can't stand to watch an animal suffer. I had a similar experience as you, I was probably about ten as well and my cousins and I were shooting bb guns at a squirrel that kept poking its head up out of a hole. Eventually one of us actually got a shot on it and it was about half dead when we ran up to it, none of us had any idea what to do. We ran and grabbed my uncle who took one of the guns, and put it out of its misery with a quick neck shot, but I'll never forget seeing all of that go down and how horrible I felt about it. I'd be a terrible hunter because I honestly feel bad about it to this day!Blink

Peelbro, don't hate on the cats bro!Laughing It's funny, one of mine is terrified of everything and pretty much sleeps in hiding all day, and the other one could probably take down a good sized dog if she wanted to! Having six toes on each paw can do some fricken damage!
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
11/19/2015 3:40pm
Wait until that little nut crackin bastard decides to bit your finger. My Grandpa was a logger and we had many baby squirrels growing up. Your best bet is to get that thing grown and healthy enough to return to the wild. It is a wild animal, not a pet. Feed it in its cage, start sitting the cage outside and feeding it and then start leaving the door open. One day he won't come back. Then put out food every other day then once a week. He'll adjust.
Rich Piano
11/19/2015 8:55pm
A good cat = no mice, no field mice, no varmints coming around.
Especially a cat with lots of wood around to sharpen their claws on. Sharp as needles.
Hard to beat a good cat.

I dont mind strays around. Saves me money on mouse traps.
IWreckALot
11/20/2015 5:31am
Rich Piano wrote:
A good cat = no mice, no field mice, no varmints coming around. Especially a cat with lots of wood around to sharpen their claws on...
A good cat = no mice, no field mice, no varmints coming around.
Especially a cat with lots of wood around to sharpen their claws on. Sharp as needles.
Hard to beat a good cat.

I dont mind strays around. Saves me money on mouse traps.
My father in law has 2 barn cats around his ranch. I've watched them on 3 occasions kill rats or mice. It's crazy because 2 of the rats saw the cat, and just got so scared they didn't even move. Cat got an easy kill.

I'm allergic to cats, and don't care too much for them inside the house. Outside the house, I'm alright with it.
11/20/2015 8:24am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2015 8:27am
JM485 wrote:
Nice job saving it, I'm the same way I just can't stand to watch an animal suffer. I had a similar experience as you, I was...
Nice job saving it, I'm the same way I just can't stand to watch an animal suffer. I had a similar experience as you, I was probably about ten as well and my cousins and I were shooting bb guns at a squirrel that kept poking its head up out of a hole. Eventually one of us actually got a shot on it and it was about half dead when we ran up to it, none of us had any idea what to do. We ran and grabbed my uncle who took one of the guns, and put it out of its misery with a quick neck shot, but I'll never forget seeing all of that go down and how horrible I felt about it. I'd be a terrible hunter because I honestly feel bad about it to this day!Blink

Peelbro, don't hate on the cats bro!Laughing It's funny, one of mine is terrified of everything and pretty much sleeps in hiding all day, and the other one could probably take down a good sized dog if she wanted to! Having six toes on each paw can do some fricken damage!
Yeah I know that feeling. I once shot a rat with an air rifle and basically made a bad job of it... never ever ever again - unless it's for putting something the cat's mangled out of its misery (and even then I don't find it easy). I eat meat I must admit, but I'd have a real hard job killing anything myself unless I was desperate, which makes me a massive hypocrite I know. I agree cats are pure awesome.
Cygnus
11/20/2015 9:15am
They are bushy tailed rats. They can and will cause all kinds of damage to your home if left to breed without some control. When you are ready to release it I'd go s few miles away to a nice park.
11/20/2015 3:45pm
Cygnus wrote:
They are bushy tailed rats. They can and will cause all kinds of damage to your home if left to breed without some control. When you...
They are bushy tailed rats. They can and will cause all kinds of damage to your home if left to breed without some control. When you are ready to release it I'd go s few miles away to a nice park.
See picture of above cat. Used to see quite a few around , BC ( before cat). Not many venture into the yard anymore.

This one was basically an abandoned orphan. Have not seen any of it's brothers or sisters, nor any more adults since the cat got this guy's unfortunate mother. She learned the hard way.

Plenty of woods around here. Hopefully in a month or two, I can get him to haul ass.

Post a reply to: Squirrel rescue

The Latest