Speaking of guns

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2016 2:42pm
|
MR. X
5/27/2016 12:07pm
So what is the flame that comes out with the projectile ? Burning atmosphere ?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/27/2016 12:25pm
I think the article said aluminum bits, sloughed off the shoe enclasing the projectile, I guess ignited by heat/friction
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/27/2016 1:01pm
America, F@&! Yeah!

The Shop

newmann
5/27/2016 1:09pm
Rail gun for the win! Could make my drive in to work every morning a little more interesting.
newmann
5/27/2016 1:58pm
25 Megawatts of juice- holy crap that is a lot of power.
Better hope there is some good insulation on those wires to keep all the smoke in.Laughing
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/27/2016 4:17pm
Enough to power 18,000 homes for the day I think the article said. 'Murica.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/27/2016 4:54pm
Wonder how much of that 25 Megawatts of energy, however measured, remains on impact and how much is dissipated in friction. A lot left for impact apparently.
SEEMEFIRST
5/27/2016 5:47pm
Falcon wrote:
On a nuclear vessel? Chump change.
5/27/2016 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2016 7:32pm
Falcon wrote:
Yes, you could supply tens of thousands of homes with electricity with the power the railgun takes to fire off some big bullets.
But I guess the idea is to use that power to blow an unimpressive hole in some inanimate object 10 times per minute.

Have we considered that wars are not really fought between battleships anymore? When you have a nuclear arsenal ready to turn the planet to wasteland in a few minutes?
All the macho erections about blowing a hole in some metal seem kind of dumb when you consider the way war happens today. It's surprising that some of the more intelligent people on Vital get all psyched about this silliness.

hillbilly
5/27/2016 8:45pm
Falcon wrote:
Yes, you could supply tens of thousands of homes with electricity with the power the railgun takes to fire off some big bullets. But I guess...
Yes, you could supply tens of thousands of homes with electricity with the power the railgun takes to fire off some big bullets.
But I guess the idea is to use that power to blow an unimpressive hole in some inanimate object 10 times per minute.

Have we considered that wars are not really fought between battleships anymore? When you have a nuclear arsenal ready to turn the planet to wasteland in a few minutes?
All the macho erections about blowing a hole in some metal seem kind of dumb when you consider the way war happens today. It's surprising that some of the more intelligent people on Vital get all psyched about this silliness.

Holy fuck,I'd hate to have you for a dad.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/27/2016 9:41pm
Falcon wrote:
Yes, you could supply tens of thousands of homes with electricity with the power the railgun takes to fire off some big bullets. But I guess...

There's an application for the railgun. Not every enemy has a nuclear arsenal and even fewer have ICBMs. This weapon could be fired with a high degree of accuracy over 100 miles. It's moving faster than sound, so there would be no warning about an incoming shell. That's pretty effective against slow-moving targets of any size. (Maybe even fast-moving targets with the right kind of guidance system.)
newmann
5/28/2016 8:01am
Falcon wrote:

hillbilly wrote:
LaughingSillySidewaysLaughing I'm rolling.

Begging to differ on the unimpressive hole. I'm thinking it would seriously screw some things up.
5/28/2016 8:45am

hillbilly wrote:
newmann wrote:

Begging to differ on the unimpressive hole. I'm thinking it would seriously screw some things up.
My post last night was dickish...sorry.

Chalk it up to one to many beers last night and extreme fatigue.
newmann
5/28/2016 10:15am
hillbilly wrote:
newmann wrote:

My post last night was dickish...sorry.

Chalk it up to one to many beers last night and extreme fatigue.
I owed you that from the thread the other day where Aplman was concerned about what I got on his dress....I mean on my computer screen.Laughing

Many beers to be had tonight with BBQ and Texas Hold 'em!

Post a reply to: Speaking of guns

The Latest