Sold The House

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 2:02pm
About an hour ago our real-estate agent called us with the news that our house has sold. So, a new chapter begins for us. Now our new house up in Georgia can be built and we can begin to plan the move. It looks like for at least a few months we will be living in our camper. I retire in 30 days.

So, a lot of changes here at Casa-de-Harry. I'm good with it all, but at the same time I'm getting a real sense of my own mortality. It kind of feels like we're opening "Act III" on our lives, and Act IV is known as "Curtains."
|
rpoint116
8/20/2017 8:12am
Nice job!

We sold our last rental two months ago. It was on the market for six weeks. The last tenant was in there 10 years. Got it cleaned up really nice, looked like new. Inventory in town is really low and we got top dollar. Very happy.

We are always on lookout for more rentals, but the market is too high right now.

8/20/2017 8:42am
rpoint116 wrote:
Nice job! We sold our last rental two months ago. It was on the market for six weeks. The last tenant was in there 10 years...
Nice job!

We sold our last rental two months ago. It was on the market for six weeks. The last tenant was in there 10 years. Got it cleaned up really nice, looked like new. Inventory in town is really low and we got top dollar. Very happy.

We are always on lookout for more rentals, but the market is too high right now.

Yeah, it is a little crazy. Shades of 2008.
Nighttrain
8/20/2017 9:23am
Congrats, Harry. I spent my first forty years in Atlanta so I'm qualified to welcome you to Georgia. Hope your closing and new build goes well. I'm jealous of the camper part. There's much good in simplified living for those willing to embrace it.
8/20/2017 9:29am
Thank you, sir! I'm not sure if you've seen any of my other posts about where we're moving, but it is barely in Georgia. Not even a mile over the border (which is the St. Mary's River). So, while I guess we're going to be paying Georgia taxes and be Georgia residents, we're only moving about 40 miles north of where we live now.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/20/2017 9:55am
Well happy early retirement and keep us all posted on the new build. Bungalow or two-stories?

I had to live in a camper for a month or two when I was a teen while our house was in the closing stages of being built. Being a teen the house couldn't be completed fast enough. 2 teens with Mom and Dad in a camper not exactly fun.

Just the two of you however should be a great time.
8/20/2017 10:40am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well happy early retirement and keep us all posted on the new build. Bungalow or two-stories? I had to live in a camper for a month...
Well happy early retirement and keep us all posted on the new build. Bungalow or two-stories?

I had to live in a camper for a month or two when I was a teen while our house was in the closing stages of being built. Being a teen the house couldn't be completed fast enough. 2 teens with Mom and Dad in a camper not exactly fun.

Hey Mav. It's just a regular ole house. 1700 feet of living area, but 2500 covered as we will have a garage and a large rear porch and somewhat large front porch. We designed the house with the aid of a woman that does that sort of thing for a living.

We recently bought a larger camper in anticipation of having to live in it. It's an Apex 249 RBS. Look it up if interested in seeing the temporary "Casa-de-Harry." It's not the biggest or grandest (same as the new house) but it will do for us.
KMC440
8/20/2017 12:03pm
I'll retire when I'm dead. Enjoy HB !!!
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/20/2017 12:08pm
Congrats to you Harry. Hopefully those builders will have it move in ready in a blink. Guess you won't exactly be roughing it in your Apex camper, good choice.
scooter5002
8/20/2017 12:17pm
Nice. Will you get a celebratory back shave, for this rather suspicious occasion?
8/20/2017 12:21pm
Nice. Will you get a celebratory back shave, for this rather suspicious occasion?
Never! Maybe a rebraid with a Rastafarian theme.
8/20/2017 12:21pm
imoto34 wrote:
Congrats to you Harry. Hopefully those builders will have it move in ready in a blink. Guess you won't exactly be roughing it in your Apex...
Congrats to you Harry. Hopefully those builders will have it move in ready in a blink. Guess you won't exactly be roughing it in your Apex camper, good choice.
Thank you sir!
NorCal 50+
8/20/2017 12:23pm
Congrats! Can I ask about how old you are?

We have our nestegg and I am looking at houses and property in NorCal. Even real estate agents told me that the market is crazy high right now, and to wait about a year. I heard on the radio that one issue they have with low inventory is they can't find skilled house builders! Good tradesmen are disappearing in our society to be replaced by people that design Apps.

I want to build, but the regulations here are crazy I hear. The market out here has to crash, because as the boomers downscale, there is no way young millennial buyers are coming out here and buying these big houses. I see a massive glut coming, and I see more real estate signs every day.
8/20/2017 12:27pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Congrats! Can I ask about how old you are? We have our nestegg and I am looking at houses and property in NorCal. Even real estate...
Congrats! Can I ask about how old you are?

We have our nestegg and I am looking at houses and property in NorCal. Even real estate agents told me that the market is crazy high right now, and to wait about a year. I heard on the radio that one issue they have with low inventory is they can't find skilled house builders! Good tradesmen are disappearing in our society to be replaced by people that design Apps.

I want to build, but the regulations here are crazy I hear. The market out here has to crash, because as the boomers downscale, there is no way young millennial buyers are coming out here and buying these big houses. I see a massive glut coming, and I see more real estate signs every day.
I will be 56 next month.

I agree with you about houses, the market, etc. Huge difference between my home state (California) and Georgia. I got 12.5 acres and a custom house for $300,000 total.
8/20/2017 12:32pm
imoto34 wrote:
Congrats to you Harry. Hopefully those builders will have it move in ready in a blink. Guess you won't exactly be roughing it in your Apex...
Thank you sir!
By the way, my builder, a gator, deer, dove, quail hunting guy from Georgia - who could win a "Most Interesting Man in The World" contest - said it would be about 4 months to build the new place.
JRT812
8/20/2017 1:42pm
Super pumped for ya Harry! Enjoy the build and retirement!
ledger
8/20/2017 3:39pm
Congrats to both of you and massive congrats on retirement. I've been retired a few year's and enjoy it, but I do miss all the people I worked with and the friendships I made along the way. I'll turn 56 in November and still wonder how the hell that happened Huh Best of everything to you and yours, and....Just Say No to alarm clock's. Carry on....
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/21/2017 7:44am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 7:46am
Good things happen to hairy people.

Seriously, congratulations. I'm sure you worked hard and have earned it.
8/21/2017 8:25am
JRT812 wrote:
Super pumped for ya Harry! Enjoy the build and retirement!
Thank you, sir! I'm pumped too, but not pumped or anything.
8/21/2017 8:26am
kzizok wrote:
Good things happen to hairy people.

Seriously, congratulations. I'm sure you worked hard and have earned it.
Haha! Thanks Kzizbro!

In fact...

Much ty!
8/21/2017 8:31am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 2:05pm
ledger wrote:
Congrats to both of you and massive congrats on retirement. I've been retired a few year's and enjoy it, but I do miss all the people...
Congrats to both of you and massive congrats on retirement. I've been retired a few year's and enjoy it, but I do miss all the people I worked with and the friendships I made along the way. I'll turn 56 in November and still wonder how the hell that happened Huh Best of everything to you and yours, and....Just Say No to alarm clock's. Carry on....
Thank you, Ledgebro.

I'll just say in response; I won't miss the circus, but I will miss some of the clowns.

I'm going to have A LOT to keep me busy, so I don't expect to miss too much of it. I'm completely over being responsible for $50 million per copy jets. I'm not the sole responsibility, but I have a big part of it. If something happens I'm going to be standing around the big table explaining to Navy captains whatever it is they feel I need to be asked. I'm so over it. 28 days and a wake-up is all I gotta do.
JRT812
8/21/2017 9:25am
Man, I can't wait for the feeling of retirement! Sounds like its well deserved on your part. Has to feel great to knock of the items of on the ALOT to do list and have the ability to knock of items on the Want to do list
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/21/2017 1:22pm
Congratulations. You sold at the right time! Like you mentioned, I see shades of the housing crisis going on all over the place. I don't think we're going to have a complete meltdown again, but I suspect there's a smaller crash coming soon.
scooter5002
8/21/2017 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 1:50pm
Perhaps something along these lines, just on the back side.

8/21/2017 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 2:02pm
Falcon wrote:
Congratulations. You sold at the right time! Like you mentioned, I see shades of the housing crisis going on all over the place. I don't think...
Congratulations. You sold at the right time! Like you mentioned, I see shades of the housing crisis going on all over the place. I don't think we're going to have a complete meltdown again, but I suspect there's a smaller crash coming soon.
I think it will be worse. Thanks for taking the time to send congrats my way, Falcbro!
8/21/2017 2:01pm
Perhaps something along these lines, just on the back side. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/21/210906/s1200_IMG_9014.jpg[/img]
Perhaps something along these lines, just on the back side.

WTH? What is that!?
ZM956
8/22/2017 12:13pm
Congrats, and welcome to GA bro!
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
8/22/2017 6:22pm
Anonymous wrote:
About an hour ago our real-estate agent called us with the news that our house has sold. So, a new chapter begins for us. Now our...
About an hour ago our real-estate agent called us with the news that our house has sold. So, a new chapter begins for us. Now our new house up in Georgia can be built and we can begin to plan the move. It looks like for at least a few months we will be living in our camper. I retire in 30 days.

So, a lot of changes here at Casa-de-Harry. I'm good with it all, but at the same time I'm getting a real sense of my own mortality. It kind of feels like we're opening "Act III" on our lives, and Act IV is known as "Curtains."
Don't feel it's Act 3, it the start of a new adventure. Stay heathy and active & you'll be around for another 30 years or more!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/24/2017 12:29pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well happy early retirement and keep us all posted on the new build. Bungalow or two-stories? I had to live in a camper for a month...

Hey Mav. It's just a regular ole house. 1700 feet of living area, but 2500 covered as we will have a garage and a large rear...
Hey Mav. It's just a regular ole house. 1700 feet of living area, but 2500 covered as we will have a garage and a large rear porch and somewhat large front porch. We designed the house with the aid of a woman that does that sort of thing for a living.

We recently bought a larger camper in anticipation of having to live in it. It's an Apex 249 RBS. Look it up if interested in seeing the temporary "Casa-de-Harry." It's not the biggest or grandest (same as the new house) but it will do for us.
Just checked out the unit you'll be living in while your new house is being built. Pretty good layout and it's very convenient to have a door that has direct access to the bathroom from the outside. Keeps the foot traffic through the camper at the minimum.

Are you guys downsizing? 1700 sq.ft. of living is a good size home. After we lost our house to a fire back in 2003 that's what my parents built and it was enough for the 4 of us. We had 2 bedrooms on the main floor and 2 in the basement. The best part was the 1000 sq.ft. garage. A lot of time spent in that garage.

Saw your post in the US GP thread on who's going. You mentioned you're still living in your house for two weeks and that you weren't sure if you were doing something at your place before the race. Well considering you're moving it wouldn't be a bad idea to invite a whole bunch of of people over and then drop the news that they're all there to help you pack. Packing an entire house sucks but it's the best time to throw out a bunch of shit you no longer need, donate stuff, etc.

Before you know it you'll be out of the camper and into your new house.

Post a reply to: Sold The House

The Latest