Socal: I Love Earthquakes

enketchum
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2014 9:43pm
Did anyone feel the 4.4 near Fontana? I'm in Upland and it was a nice one.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci11413954#shakemap

Epicenter is very close to Glen Helen. Right near the 15 so I'm guessing it was on the San Andreas or a family directly spurring off it.

Anyone else an earth quake junky? I love them. If I hadn't gone into teaching I would have gone into geological sciences
|
captmoto
1/15/2014 11:30am
The epicenter was between Citrus and Sierra, just north of the shopping center there. It felt like something picked up my house and slammed it back down. It was a real jolt.
Mr. G
1/15/2014 1:23pm
I sadly missed it.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/15/2014 1:26pm
My buddy in Corona felt it but I did not in San Diego
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/15/2014 1:45pm
I felt it here in Irvine. Nice roller.

The Shop

The Rock
1/15/2014 2:25pm
The Whittier quake in 87 was my first one and I love it.

The Northridge quake though was a huge bummer. Loss of life, freeway collapse, the whole enchilada. That morning made them re evaluate their conventional thinking that with every quake you had an epic center and energy diminishes as it radiates out. At 4:19 AM there was the large epic center in Northridge but also a smaller one very close to the South Bay where my home of 17 years in Hermosa was. Believe there was one other smaller one but CRS the details.

All I can say is up until that morning earthquakes had always been fun. That morning was definitely NO FUN as I have never been shaken that much. It was like we were vibrating then a big slam. Scared me and I'm fearless.
Harry_Gray
1/15/2014 5:26pm
One reason I'm glad I'm in OK now. Got my fill of them when I lived in SoCal and when I was stationed in Guam. No thanks...
Sprew
1/15/2014 7:23pm
Felt it in Yorba LInda.

Rock, those were all big quakes. As a kid, the Sylmar quake was scary.

Was in Hermosa a couple weeks ago. Still a purty place.
enketchum
1/15/2014 11:02pm
captmoto wrote:
The epicenter was between Citrus and Sierra, just north of the shopping center there. It felt like something picked up my house and slammed it back...
The epicenter was between Citrus and Sierra, just north of the shopping center there. It felt like something picked up my house and slammed it back down. It was a real jolt.
I know what you mean. I was maybe 15 miles from the Epicenter and it wasn't that strong. I was very near a 4.5 in chino on the mtsac campus in a Retrofit building. The ground started shaking and then the building violently lurched forward and then receded. It threw everyone's heads back that were in the classroom. Other than a car crash and a dirt bike wrecks, that was the most violent thing I have ever felt. But you know us, we were looking around at each other talking about it during the initial shaking instead of ducking and covering. Then the lights went and BOOM
mpy
1/16/2014 3:24am
Pretty shallow one. The always feel so much more violent.

Personally after 4 major ones over 2 years (2010-2012) and about 10.000 aftershocks it made us move out of New Zealand. Living next to the epicenter was no fun. Although dealing with insurance & government agencies was a worse experience.
1/16/2014 10:02pm
Um lots have lived through earthquakes.
Not many want to say....hey I got woke up when a tornado blew the house to a million pieces.

I had relatives that lived in NOLA when Katrina or Rita hit.

They left that dump and actually live right on a fault in LA now. Earthquakes are relatively nothing.
captmoto
1/16/2014 10:37pm
Um lots have lived through earthquakes. Not many want to say....hey I got woke up when a tornado blew the house to a million pieces. I...
Um lots have lived through earthquakes.
Not many want to say....hey I got woke up when a tornado blew the house to a million pieces.

I had relatives that lived in NOLA when Katrina or Rita hit.

They left that dump and actually live right on a fault in LA now. Earthquakes are relatively nothing.
We don't have earthquake season.
Homey55
1/17/2014 5:41am
I had an awesome teacher at Humboldt State, Gary Carver, who knew everything about the Pacific Northwest. The guy was a little crazy, showed up to teach in rubber boots covered in mud and looked like he just rolled out of bed from a late night in the field and was extremely enthousiastic about geology! Here's a picture for reference...
1/17/2014 5:48am
Northridge was 20 years ago today I was a freshman in high school lol

Landers quake was worse for us considering we lived in the IE at the time. Not many people remember that Landers (7.3) was followed by the Big Bear quake (6.5) 3hrs later. Good thing they were centered in sparsley populated areas. I remember looking out the window and seeing transformers popping for miles and miles
Harry_Gray
1/17/2014 7:29am
Better than tornadoes and hurricanes.
Those aren't any fun either but...at least you have a little/some warning w/ those. Maybe I should just move to Lake Havasu...
The Rock
1/17/2014 12:18pm
Sprew wrote:
Felt it in Yorba LInda. Rock, those were all big quakes. As a kid, the Sylmar quake was scary. Was in Hermosa a couple weeks ago...
Felt it in Yorba LInda.

Rock, those were all big quakes. As a kid, the Sylmar quake was scary.

Was in Hermosa a couple weeks ago. Still a purty place.
I remember seeing the pics of the Slymar quake when I was living in Ohio thinking WTF man. You went through that?

Hermosa has become quite the upscale beach town rivaling Manhattan and Redondo Beach. It is amazing how much Hermosa has changed from a funky little beach community that I moved into. Beginning of the end for old Hermosa was 91 when lower Pier Avenue became a promenade plus the Either or Bookstore closed along about that time. Still a killer place without a doubt.. The strand that runs along Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach is so nice for walking/rollerblading/bicycling and is a feature not many communities offer.

Thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got to Hermosa in the summer of 86 escaping a summer heat wave in Ohio over 94 plus degree temps with 94 percent humidity.

I could go on and on. Have beaucoup good memories of life in the South Bay.

Post a reply to: Socal: I Love Earthquakes

The Latest