So, how was your day?

scooter5002
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 3:58am
Well, funny you should ask. Loaded at the 8D-24-51-5W4, came south on Range Road 50, and turned right on the Township 512. In hindsight, that may have been a bad idea.

That's where I wound up AFTER the grader towed me for approximately 6 feet forward, and as you can see, about 8 feet sideways. Actually, the ditch did that all by itself, as I let the clutch out in first gear, to help the grader. Clearly, THAT was not any help, but I was screwed anyway. I started OUT on the road, that changed in 1.736 seconds.

As you can see, I was in there quite nicely.

That's where you can see more sideways than forward.
The money shot. YA, baby. How did I wind up in that mess, you ask? WELL! As you can see, there's a slight bank on that road, for drainage on that curve. I was driving all of 10 miles an hour and the truck started to slide on that greasy snot, and I went across the whole road in a slide, from the opposite lane. Steering to the right didn't do shit, and I slid with the brakes locked up. This is what you get with 50 degree temps and the top 2" of dirt thaws, and you're driving on frozen mud underneath.
Had to call in another truck to pump off into, with the grader anchored to my back end, so the damn thing didn't roll while we were unloading.

Get that done, hook the grader back to the front, and he starts to pull me out. The truck comes out, but the trailer stays in the ditch. No problem, grader goes right, and promptly gets sucked into the right side ditch. At this point, I'm crying, from laughing so hard. I have just enough traction to inch ahead and put slack in the tow strap, so he can unhook, and get out of the ditch. He proceeds to drive forward and tighten it again. Fuck. I inch forward again, he jumps and unhooks the strap, climbs back up in the grader, and claws his way out into a field. Quite the sight, an articulating 6 wheel drive grader, with a giant wing blade on the side, being driven like a Baja buggy, especially when it's worth a half mill. I managed to engage my 4 wheel locks, and scratch my way up on the road, and carry on. 3 hours, soaking up the sun, and playing in the mud.
Let me tell you something, this oilpatch thing ain't all hookers and lines of blow off of the toilet seats in the men's washroom in the local titty bar. Nope, some days are even MORE fun.
|
SEE ARE125
1/25/2015 8:06pm
LOL Looks fun. I did heavy duty towing for about 10 years. Snot like that, it's gonna follow the slope. Best bet would've been to start with the trailer and drag the rear of it back up, then pull the truck up. Of course the grader couldn't have done that with it loaded, but probably could've done it once you pumped off onto the other truck. Nice Pete ya got there.
wildbill
1/25/2015 8:25pm
That's a great sounding day in my book. (do shit like that all the time on the farm)

Thanks for sharing Wink
JPT
1/26/2015 1:48am
Damn Andy, looks like a bit of a mess.
MR. X
1/26/2015 3:47am
Yee Haa !

The Shop

Vet57
1/26/2015 3:58am
Think of all that experience you could apply towards the water truck operator at the local mx facility...lol

Post a reply to: So, how was your day?

The Latest