Since I can't ride anymore...and an update with some pics.

KTMShane699
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2016 9:46pm
So like the title says, since I can't ride any more I figured I'd share some fun stuff that I've been up to and give a little update on how my leg is doing.

First...the update. Yesterday was surgery number five since breaking my leg last April. They took some bone spurs out of my ankle that had grown and debrided some arthritis. These were things that grew while being non weight bearing for months last year. Being that I'd already broken my ankle pretty badly in 2000 was a big factor in the growth. Hopefully after this, it'll be some more bearable "arthritis pain" that will be easier to control as opposed to the severe pain from the spurs coupled with bad arthritis.

Since I can't ride and my wife isn't comfortable with me jumping from airplanes any more, I've decided to check something else off my bucket list. I've been working on getting my private pilots license. Nothing will replace the thrill of motorcycles for me, but I have to confess that flying planes is pretty fun. I should have my license wrapped up this fall. I actually got to solo at just 12 or 13 hours which is very low time to be endorsed. I was hoping to have it done before surgery, but I ended up working a lot knowing I'd be out 4-6 weeks for surgery.

The other decision my wife and I made was to actually get rid of my truck. I had a Ford Raptor that I loved. But as my wife said, "the big reason for the truck was riding, and you can't right now." Put that with my daughter going to an independent high school twenty miles away each way that we have to drive her to (somewhat of a sore spot with me the whole independent school thing...have to drive her and pay tuition)...13 mpg wasn't cutting it. So away went the truck for a Subaru Crosstrek of all things. Certainly not a bad little ride and way more economical. My wife also knew I was looking at Corvettes a while back and suggested with getting rid of the truck, maybe it was time to get a sports car for me to play with. I was looking at C6 Z06'a and maybe stretching to a ZR1. When I started looking, I had an epiphany...since my early 20's I swore that in my lifetime I would own an exotic car; specifically a Lotus. After showing my wife the Lotus, she forgot about the Vette idea and was fully on board with the exotic. Everyone knows what a Corvette is. And unless you're a Corvette person, most can't tell the difference in models. A Vette is a Vette. The Lotus is unique. You know it's different. My wife's requirement...it had to be a louder color. No black. No white. No silver. It had to be a car that got attention.

Through the search we found a 2011 Lotus Evora with 750 miles on it in bright orange. I decided to go with the naturally aspirated version since it was considerably less expensive than the supercharged version and keeping my license is a requirement to keeping my career. The car goes pretty well regardless since it only weighs 3000 pounds. And a couple of fun facts...in 2011 there were only 347 Lotus Evora'a brought to the United States (which is actually a high number for most years). Mine appears to be one of nine that year in the orange color.

The only things it really needed was some stereo love since the stocker was downright horrible (even by my wife's low audio standard of "it plays music"). Off to a local shop that has experience doing custom work on unique vehicles and it has Nav, SiriusXM, an amp, new JL audio components and a small JL 8" sub in a custom foberglsss enclosure in the footwell. And we can now enjoy great music as we cruise.

It's been a fun car to own so far and my wife and I have been enjoying our Sunday rides in it. Usually on the weekend we would just drive and look at houses, explore or catch a farmers market here or there. Now we still do that, we just do it with more regularity. The best part is that she actually drives it and enjoys the car as well. It's certainly a conversation starter. The strangest conversation so far has been "what kind of car is that?" I answered saying it's a Lotus Evora. Their follow up question..."Who makes that?"

Anyway, that's what I've been up to and thought I'd provide some pictures. I still miss riding though and would give it all back to get to be back on a bike...the risk is simply too great right now for me to do so.

Hope y'all are well!

The little Piper Cherokee I'm learning to fly on. Pretty simple plane to fly that's very forgiving. Getting to fly a Cessna Saratoga from Hartford to Newport next month with a buddy that's a flight instructor too (he's a private jet pilot for his real job).

And the Lotus Evora...

Custom enclosure they made for the car.

And my Evora and my buddy's ZR1...

|
HazemG
9/13/2016 10:08pm
Nice ride, Shane! I am a big car guy and honestly am more passionate about exotics than I used to be about moto... Done correctly it's a nice way to stay safe and still have a blast! Look into joining an exotic car club chapter that is local to you, way more fun to cruise in numbers than alone!
KTMShane699
9/13/2016 10:16pm
Thanks Hazem. Seems like it's easy to rapidly dump money into these cars. Each one also seems to have some loyal following too. I'll have to do some searching and see what exotic clubs are around here. A couple friends have suggested taking it to some local shows and entering it since you don't see many of them. My car is definitely the baby of the exotics though. Some cars have huge price tags, as you know. The nice thing about the Lotus is it looks way more expensive than it was.

I saw you were starting a YouTube channel? Hope that's taking off. I know you get to enjoy some amazing rides. You're a lucky man.
hillbilly
9/14/2016 3:03am
What engine is in lotus today. My uncle had a early 70s with a 302 ford at your elbow.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 3:39am
hillbilly wrote:
What engine is in lotus today. My uncle had a early 70s with a 302 ford at your elbow.
It's a naturally aspirated Toyota V6. So it has decent reliability. I would still love to drive the supercharged one. Those pushed mid 300's for HP. The newest version of the Evora is a 400 HP model. I'd love to drive them, but couldn't justify the extra monies for them. Especially since I just cruise in it. My car racing days ended long ago. Older, more responsible me has taken over coupled with the desire to not lose my license (we have to report to the chief any moving violations...and they pull my driving record every year). If I lost it, I'd probably keep my job but it would come with a guaranteed demotion. It's easier to avoid the temptation. But with 276 HP on a 3000 pound car, it's safe to say it goes well.

In the spring I might be tempted to put an exhaust, higher flowing cold air intake on it and maybe a tune. I just have to decide if I want to pony up another $4k or so for all of that when I don't really "need" it.

The Shop

agn5009
9/14/2016 7:54am
You looking for a son? Woohoo
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 8:39am
agn5009 wrote:
You looking for a son? Woohoo
It's funny because my daughter doesn't realize how good she has it. She gets to enjoy a security that many don't and takes that for granted no matter how we discourage it.
PalerBlue
9/14/2016 8:59am
Nice wheels. The Wife used to run an Excel back in the early nineties, it used to put a smile on our faces whenever we drove it.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 11:41am
PalerBlue wrote:
Nice wheels. The Wife used to run an Excel back in the early nineties, it used to put a smile on our faces whenever we drove...
Nice wheels. The Wife used to run an Excel back in the early nineties, it used to put a smile on our faces whenever we drove it.
Thanks. I can't believe how much fun the car is to drive. The idea of doing a track day with it is pretty tempting. It would be fun to see what it can really do. And I know I'd learn a lot about myself as a driver and about the car and it's limits. They do one somewhat close by to me too. It's about an hour drive. For now though, I can't help but enjoy driving it. I find myself looking for excuses to drive it...and sometimes drive it "just because I can."
Foghorn
9/14/2016 11:47am
Nice car! As for the plane, my Dad had a Cherokee 6 as well as a lot of other Pipers over the years. Great fishing trip plane.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 11:50am
Foghorn wrote:
Nice car! As for the plane, my Dad had a Cherokee 6 as well as a lot of other Pipers over the years. Great fishing trip...
Nice car! As for the plane, my Dad had a Cherokee 6 as well as a lot of other Pipers over the years. Great fishing trip plane.
Thanks! That's just the plane for the school I'm learning at. Well, one of their aircraft anyway. I wrestle with the idea of if plane ownership makes sense. Rental rates aren't horrible and I don't have to deal w the annual expenses or the majors. But I'm at the mercy of what's available to rent and for how long. I think if I were to own a plane, I'd want a six seater. Not necessarily to carry six people, but you can carry three or four with a reasonable payload and not be at the limits of the aircraft. Definitely falls on the list of first world problems. Maybe someday...
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/14/2016 11:56am
Good stuff, Shane. There's a Lotus dealer not far from the Vital MX offices.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2016 12:10pm
GuyB wrote:
Good stuff, Shane. There's a Lotus dealer not far from the Vital MX offices.
Is a Lotus Evora 400 the next vital hauler? Plenty of towing capacity for you. We only have one dealer in the state. Luckily it's a half hour ride for me.

Hopefully the upcoming season is good to you and you get to enjoy at least a little time at home with the family this winter. Thanks for giving us a place to talk moto since you probably don't hear thank you enough.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/14/2016 12:17pm
Is a Lotus Evora 400 the next vital hauler? Plenty of towing capacity for you. We only have one dealer in the state. Luckily it's a...
Is a Lotus Evora 400 the next vital hauler? Plenty of towing capacity for you. We only have one dealer in the state. Luckily it's a half hour ride for me.

Hopefully the upcoming season is good to you and you get to enjoy at least a little time at home with the family this winter. Thanks for giving us a place to talk moto since you probably don't hear thank you enough.
Ha! Not likely. I think that dealer also sells Rolls Royce, and I won't be getting one of those, either. Wink

I've ridden in a Tundra that was supercharger-equipped, and it was fast. I can't even imagine one of those in something as light as a Lotus.

My girlfriend and I always find some fun stuff to do in the off-season. We're headed for Southern Utah in Early October.

I'm not worried about thank yous. I just like when people have a little self-restraint, and act like Veinsteins, instead of Vitards. Wink
Jimmy_Sloan
9/14/2016 12:54pm
That Lotus is beautiful. Do they handle as good as everyone says they do?
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 1:01pm
Thanks Jimmy. It does handle incredibly well. I'm amazed at how well sometimes. You feel very connected to the car and the response it has is nearly instant. If you ever get the opportunity to drive one, I'd suggest you take advantage and enjoy it. It's quite a ride.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/14/2016 1:10pm
That Evora is a hell of a car. I read a test once between that one and my personal dream car (Porsche Cayman S,) and it was a very close call. They gave the nod to the Porsche mostly because of a higher civility factor, but apparently the Lotus will corner even better than the Cayman. More of a track car, perhaps.

Kudos on your choice of vehicles and good luck on the pilot's license.
Barrett57
9/14/2016 1:30pm
That Lotus is the dogs knackers, beautiful car. Really nice colour as well.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 1:58pm
Thanks guys. I'm beyond fortunate to have the life that I do and to have had some great experiences and opportunities.

And yes, the Lotus is totally a track inspired car. It's somewhat minimalistic inside. No cruise control and things like that. But you can tell it's also been hand crafted. It's a unique automobile.
jndmx
9/15/2016 10:47am
Well Shane I'm bummed to hear that the riding days are done but sometimes you gotta know when to say when.
Someday you're gonna need to walk your little girl down the aisle and walking without pain is a much better way to go.

Man flying has to be a blast....which airport are you taking lessons at?
By the way when you fly to Newport you'll be going right over my house on Jamestown....lol.
We are right under the western approach.

And the Lotus....oh my.
You should try and sneak over to Haddam and get on that Consumer Reports testing course....lol.

Glad to see you have a glass that is half full man and my invite to come watch the races at Winchester is always open.
KTMShane699
9/15/2016 11:37am
jndmx wrote:
Well Shane I'm bummed to hear that the riding days are done but sometimes you gotta know when to say when. Someday you're gonna need to...
Well Shane I'm bummed to hear that the riding days are done but sometimes you gotta know when to say when.
Someday you're gonna need to walk your little girl down the aisle and walking without pain is a much better way to go.

Man flying has to be a blast....which airport are you taking lessons at?
By the way when you fly to Newport you'll be going right over my house on Jamestown....lol.
We are right under the western approach.

And the Lotus....oh my.
You should try and sneak over to Haddam and get on that Consumer Reports testing course....lol.

Glad to see you have a glass that is half full man and my invite to come watch the races at Winchester is always open.
I'm bummed too about not being able to ride. I miss it quite a bit. It was the wisest decision I could make though. Have to preserve my career and my mobility for life.

Flying is a lot of fun. I've been flying out of Groton. I've flown over Newport, but not into it yet. I've flown into Block Island, Westerly and New Bedford. It's a weird feeling being in command of an aircraft. But it's such a view to enjoy. Sadly, my wife isn't so excited about flying. I'm hoping she gets more comfortable with it after she goes up a few times with me.

I'd love to get to that track, especially to have it to myself. It would be fun exploring the limits of the car. The worst part is that the track is about ten minutes from home for me.

I do my best to keep positive. Don't think the glass is always half full. I have my moments. I just try not to let them consume me. I prefer to be positive and thankful for what I do have. I don't know if I'll get up to Winchester this year, but definitely in for a ride up in the spring. Maybe I'll take the wife on a day trip in the Lotus. We drove by a few weeks ago when we went up to Burlington for a weekend. Took the Lotus and all backroads. What a great trip. I appreciate the offer!

Post a reply to: Since I can't ride anymore...and an update with some pics.

The Latest