Shipping a bicycle to norway

Uncle Tony
Edited Date/Time 12/15/2014 5:12pm
Anyone know a cheap way I can ship a mountain bike to Norway? My daughter recently moved there and she wants her bike
|
500guy
12/13/2014 7:54am
A bicycle box shouldn't be that hard to come by, a few tips.

don't call it a bike, say it's used parts, some of the laws on transportation are weird. UPS probably your best bet maybe USPS.
12/14/2014 6:19am
Break the bike down to the smallest portions you can and pack it in a box.
USPS will be the way to go....."Priority mail" Getting the right box will be the hardest part.......(I make my own) You will have to keep it under 60" long.

I recommend starting with a clean 4x8 sheet of cardboard and making your own to fit the smallest size you can get by with. A sheet of cardboard a pizza cutter and a ling straight edge (yard stick?)are all you need for this. The pizza cutter is for creasing the cardboard (not cutting) where you need it to fold.

Print your own click n ship tag off of the USPS site (you'll need to register....no biggee).

As for labeling....You will need to measure and weigh the package before you start

.I dont know the rules on any "transportation" items or if they do consider a bike to be under that guide line.....I would list it as a "gift" and put it under "returned gods". You will want to keep the item value really low so she can avoid more "tax" from customs. (they totally fuck you over!)

The red flag for customs will be if you insure it for (say $500.00) but list the value at $20.00. I can almost guarantee they will open the box at that point!
Uncle Tony
12/14/2014 6:34am
Thanks guys, I main problem is the frame, I don't think the usps can take something that big, maybe ups or dhl

The Shop

TailSoHard
12/15/2014 8:28am
I've shipped a few bikes/frames over seas. The quickest way to do it is to ship multiple boxes (one box for frame, one for wheels, blah blah blah). But then obviously she has to be able to put it back together again or take it to a shop. At a certain point (depending on the bike), it'll be cheaper for her to just buy a bike while she's over there.

Go to any bike shop and ask for a bike box and a wheel box, they'll have buttloads of them laying around
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/15/2014 5:12pm
By the way, you can use a simple ballpoint pen to crease the cardboard if you do not have a pizza cutter. It works like magic. Just hold a ruler or yardstick to the line you want to crease and write straight across the cardboard. It will bend on exactly that spot.

Post a reply to: Shipping a bicycle to norway

The Latest