Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

level
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2015 3:03pm
Picked me one up. Went from a Note 3 (awesome freaking phone) to a S6 edge. Decided to get the edge because it was different but was surprised that it really doesn't serve any purpose. Has a few gimmicky features but definitely doesn't wrap to the sides like the Note 4 edge and doesn't have the same functions as the Note 4 edge does.

Overall though the phone is sick and the edge looks great. Little hard getting used to the edges but not to bad.

I must say I don't know why Samsung Touch Wiz gets such a bad wrap. It's not that bad and easily customizable. Some of the pre-loaded bloatware is useful but if you don't want it it is very easy to disable.

I love S voice and prefer it over Google Now. I know Google now is much more popular but S Voice works better for me and can control much more of my phone with it. Has some slick features.

The new Android is amazing, the phone so far is very fast. The camera is amazing. These androids really are surpassing iPhone in features and build quality.

I was the biggest iPhone fan around about 3 years ago. Could not understand why anybody would want to buy Android but they have evolved pretty rapidly and so has the tech with premium phones such as this one.

2 of the top phones on the market in my opinion are the S6 (or S6 edge) and the Note 4 (or Note 4 edge). Both just amazing. So far. haha
|
enketchum
4/27/2015 6:50pm
I will probably get the S6 soon. Whats the difference between s6 and edge?
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/27/2015 9:30pm
I just started looking myself thanks to this post. Ready to ditch the iPhone. Looks like the main difference between them is a slight battery advantage for the edge and maybe some app advantages like a clock on the side and some ease of accessing contacts on the side. Looks like the regular S6 ranks higher than the edge, but it's not far behind and might have more potential with apps if I understood the reviews. I think the edge also provides more of a "cool" factor. But also runs about $150 more than the S6.
4/28/2015 9:46am
getting my S6 next week. I don't think the S6 Edge is worth the extra $100, but it is cool. I have the S4 now and contract is up.
peelout
4/28/2015 10:31am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 10:34am
glad i came upon this thread. i'm in the process of deciding which phone to go to. i have the HTC One right now and i fucking hate it.

anyone answer this? is the S6 battery locked in the case or is it removable like the S4? i hate my battery being inaccessible on my HTC. also, not having external memory slot is a joke. if you can't tell, i absolutely hate my phone

The Shop

APLMAN99
4/28/2015 10:47am
I switched to a Note 2 from an iPhone 4 2 years ago. Took me a couple of weeks to adapt to the different controls on the Note, but once I get used to it I never regretted it. I still use my iPad for a lot of my web surfing but far prefer the Note as a phone. I've passed my upgrade date and keep thinking about getting the Note 4 but I only use about 5% of the capabilities of the Note 2 as it is. My 2 "broke" about 6 months ago (dropped) but the warranty/insurance replaced it at no cost so my actual phone is still practically new. I'm wondering if the Note 4 is that much faster and easier to use for work productivity that it's worth the hassle of upgrading. I looked at the iPhone 6 Plus (big screen is a necessity for my older eyes) but don't know if I can live without the "back" button or the menu key again. I'm thinking I might need to get a Galaxy Tab to really be able to sync my tablet and phone, also.
TommyLee93
4/28/2015 11:28am
peelout wrote:
glad i came upon this thread. i'm in the process of deciding which phone to go to. i have the HTC One right now and i...
glad i came upon this thread. i'm in the process of deciding which phone to go to. i have the HTC One right now and i fucking hate it.

anyone answer this? is the S6 battery locked in the case or is it removable like the S4? i hate my battery being inaccessible on my HTC. also, not having external memory slot is a joke. if you can't tell, i absolutely hate my phone

S5 had removable battery and memory card slot, the S6 does not. But I can tell you that the S6 charges really fast and the battery life is the best on any phone that I have had. I have had mine for 2 weeks, so far I have no complaints.
level
4/28/2015 5:12pm
Electro21 wrote:
I just started looking myself thanks to this post. Ready to ditch the iPhone. Looks like the main difference between them is a slight battery advantage...
I just started looking myself thanks to this post. Ready to ditch the iPhone. Looks like the main difference between them is a slight battery advantage for the edge and maybe some app advantages like a clock on the side and some ease of accessing contacts on the side. Looks like the regular S6 ranks higher than the edge, but it's not far behind and might have more potential with apps if I understood the reviews. I think the edge also provides more of a "cool" factor. But also runs about $150 more than the S6.
Your assessment is spot on. I like the edge because it does look slick and different than anything out there.
level
4/28/2015 5:13pm
peelout wrote:
glad i came upon this thread. i'm in the process of deciding which phone to go to. i have the HTC One right now and i...

Samsung finally caved and went the way of the iPhone and HTC so you will not be able to put a sd card or removable battery. It's an all metal chassis.

If you don't mind the bigger phone then the Note 4 or Note 4 edge is really the best on the market in my opinion and you can replace battery and have sd card storage since it's plastic backing.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/28/2015 5:33pm
Just picked up the S6 Edge today. So far it's great. Going to take some getting used to after being on an iPhone for so long. Ended up paying $40 and downloaded MobileGo so I could transfer my music from the old IPhone to the Edge.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
4/28/2015 8:11pm
The more I play around with this thing the more I like it. It already solved two of my issues with the iPhone; short charging cord and the keyboard has numbers on it. It was always a pain typing in long passwords or what not and having to switch between numbers and letters. I am no techie, but I can see the S6 and S6 Edge giving the iPhone a run for their money.
S.Loyer
4/28/2015 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 11:39pm
Been with the S series since 3 on a S5 Active now, will be moving to an iPhone after this. I can't stand android products anymore just to all over the place in terms of OS.
jtiger12
4/29/2015 6:18am
I have been on a Samsung phone since I got my first "smartphone", a windows ce phone. I have watched their platforms evolve (galaxy, s2, s3, s5) and I am not happy with this latest trend. I have stayed with Samsung phones BECAUSE they have kept the removable battery and SD card slot. I like to change out SD cards, and when I'm at the track I will remove the card from the gopro and save the video or view it on my phone. You can carry around a micro USB dongle to do that now, but not having external storage really cripples the phone (think 50gigs of music). It's a money grab by the manufacturer just like cloud computing is in the software world. It shouldn't cost 100 dollars more to get a phone with double memory. It should be more like 35$. In the age of pricey 4g, and caps, this trend wreaks of collusion between the suppliers, providers, and manufacturers. Who in their right mind will stream all their music when they only have 2g of data?
I'll be on this s5 as long as possible. Might as well break down and get an iPhone now.
XXVoid MainXX
4/29/2015 6:28am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 6:32am
I'm still on an s3. I've changed the glass in it 3 or 4 times now (myself). You can get replacement glass off of Ebay for like a buck. I wouldn't have a problem changing the battery in the s6, just like I do in my Garmin GPSs, and other things I have that are "supposedly" not serviceable by the customer. But, I am like you. It pisses me of that they close that shit up. Another thing that pisses me off is cameras and phones (like my S3) that don't allow a USB Mass Storage connection. My older MyTouch Slide Android phone did allow a mass storage connection. I also won't get a phone I can't run a custom version of Android on. I haven't read up on the S6 yet if Cyanogen or any other custom Android distros support it.
jtiger12
4/30/2015 4:43am
Locked bootloader On retail version, no custom rom. they have been pretty good with offering a dev edition without a locked bootloader though. I have not seen anything saying either yes or no at thus point
level
4/30/2015 6:29pm
I think I may have to recommend NOT going with the edge. I bought a slim case for mine and I dropped it getting it out of my pocket and the screen cracked bad. The way the edge is designed leaves the screen vulnerable. I have to get a real heavy duty case now which I don't like using them. Cases don't protect this phone real well because of the way the screen curves so it leaves it very vulnerable. Good thing I had mobile insurance. Now I just have to buy a better case which I never had a problem with slim cases before but you will will this phone. So go with the s6 and not the s6 edge.
CR250Rider
4/30/2015 10:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2015 10:56pm
I'm leaning towards the htc one m9.
Sd card slot up to 128gb
built-in fm radio
bigger battery than s6
20 mp camera
stereo front facing speakers dolby
mhl 3.0
APLMAN99
5/1/2015 7:20am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2015 7:21am
level wrote:
I think I may have to recommend NOT going with the edge. I bought a slim case for mine and I dropped it getting it out...
I think I may have to recommend NOT going with the edge. I bought a slim case for mine and I dropped it getting it out of my pocket and the screen cracked bad. The way the edge is designed leaves the screen vulnerable. I have to get a real heavy duty case now which I don't like using them. Cases don't protect this phone real well because of the way the screen curves so it leaves it very vulnerable. Good thing I had mobile insurance. Now I just have to buy a better case which I never had a problem with slim cases before but you will will this phone. So go with the s6 and not the s6 edge.
That was my big question when looking at the edge the other day. I don't mind the "combat" cases, but it looked like using one might negate some of the screen view of the edge. I'm thinking I'll be picking up the Note 4 sometime this weekend.
level
5/1/2015 8:15am
CR250Rider wrote:
I'm leaning towards the htc one m9. Sd card slot up to 128gb built-in fm radio bigger battery than s6 20 mp camera stereo front facing...
Sd card slot up to 128gb
built-in fm radio
bigger battery than s6
20 mp camera
mhl 3.0
That's a good one too.
peelout
5/1/2015 9:16am
CR250Rider wrote:
I'm leaning towards the htc one m9. Sd card slot up to 128gb built-in fm radio bigger battery than s6 20 mp camera stereo front facing...
Sd card slot up to 128gb
built-in fm radio
bigger battery than s6
20 mp camera
mhl 3.0
mine is one of the earlier One versions and i hate it. wonky OS (i love android, hate my phone), shitty camera, keyboard closes for no reason, get's frozen often.

and yes, it's fully updated and i run very minimal on additional apps. piece of shit. the one good thing about it is the speakers are awesome.

i know with time things get better, but the HTC One would have to come a long way for me to consider it. just a heads up.
purpleNurple
5/1/2015 1:40pm
I honestly will be looking for a different brand after the owning the S4 and S5. I hate the fact that they have gotten away from the micro SD cards. I am not willing to pay hundreds of dollars for memory when a 64gb samsung micro SD costs 70 dollars. I also like the water resistant feature of the S5.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
5/1/2015 7:22pm
I am no techie, but after only having iPhones, I am liking the S6 Edge. I don't have a case for it yet, so I can't comment on that part of it. Not really a big deal right now since I work in a no cell phone area. I think the phone is pretty cool, might just be the change factor though. I don't know if the Edge is worth the extra money though other than it looks cool. The functionality isn't really any different from what I can tell. Pretty easy to adapt to for non-computer savvy people to transition from the iPhone though.
5/3/2015 3:03pm
Android is basically like windows and can operate like an external drive.

Drag and drop copy paste. Nothing needed. No programs no bullshit.

Post a reply to: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge

The Latest