Robin Williams dead at 63

Bob693
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2014 9:01am
|
jeffro503
8/11/2014 6:04pm
Man...I just saw this on my news feed.....so bummed right now. hell of a comedian and a great actor. I guess you never know what is going through someones head when they commit suicide.......but Geezuz....that guy had it made. Must of had some bad personal demons. Damn shame!
motoman585
8/11/2014 6:21pm
What a comedic genious that guy was. One of my favorites by far. What a bummer deal.

The Shop

S.Loyer
8/11/2014 7:02pm
It's always the people that laugh the loudest.

So sad, what a great man he was.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
8/11/2014 7:08pm
Met him on South Beach in 1997 talked for about 30 mins, dude loved motorcycles, definitely a bit different of a personality.

RIP
Racer92
8/11/2014 7:20pm
The undisputed King of Improv.

RIP Mr. Williams
hillbilly
8/11/2014 7:25pm
Man feel bad for his family and friends,such a selfish thing to do.
Fantasy
4452nd
8/11/2014 7:31pm
Rest in peace Mr. Williams. Good thoughts and well wishes to your family.
ns503
8/12/2014 4:39am
This is one of those ones that crosses over all generations. Sad day at our house today, from everyone of all ages - our youngest got real upset last night when it broke.

Sad frickin deal, damn...
huck
8/12/2014 6:51am
149,999 other people died yesterday too....
8/12/2014 6:57am
hillbilly wrote:
Man feel bad for his family and friends,such a selfish thing to do.
Exactly. He had all the resources in the world and could have gotten help if he wanted to. He destroyed his family by choosing this and is a coward.
rosebud441
8/12/2014 7:56am
huck wrote:
thanks for chiming in and being a dick.
Sandberm
8/12/2014 7:56am
You know, mental illness isnt like slapping a new top-end on your dirtbike and calling it fixed. You can try this and that and the other thing over the course of decades and never get away from it.
huck
8/12/2014 8:29am
huck wrote:
rosebud441 wrote:
thanks for chiming in and being a dick.
Speaking the truth is being a dick?

Racer92
8/12/2014 8:52am
Lots of fortunate folks in this thread, Im glad you dont get it. Hope you never do.

8/12/2014 9:32am
It is always selfish when someone takes their own life, no matter how sad they are. I've seen what suicide does to people's families and will never side with someone who does it regardless of how famous they are.
CR250Rider
8/12/2014 9:37am
Robin Williams committed suicide by hanging himself inside his home ... sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ.

Sources say the family has heard nothing about a suicide note and it appears the comedian did not leave one.

We're told Robin hanged himself inside the main house ... not the garage.

8/12/2014 9:38am
Depression is a serious disease. Good example of how a person that has everything (seemingly) yet lost the will to live due to this disease.
My mother took her life on Christmas Day 1990. I've learned quite a bit about depression over the years and it's the most frustrating thing ever. Luckily I don't have that issue, but I know some that do.
I'm not talking about the jackass that has a bad breakup and does something stupid.
motoman585
8/12/2014 10:03am
Depression is nuts. Love your friends and family. Even if it is hard to do. They just might need it.
borg
8/12/2014 11:03am
It is always selfish when someone takes their own life, no matter how sad they are. I've seen what suicide does to people's families and will...
It is always selfish when someone takes their own life, no matter how sad they are. I've seen what suicide does to people's families and will never side with someone who does it regardless of how famous they are.
If you search the net, you will find article after article that says suicide is NOT selfish. It's escape from anguish brought on by mental disorder or physical pain. OK. Why put your hanging dead body on display for your family to find? Is that not incredibly cruel? Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and many times is completely justified. But it doesn't mean you have to be cruel about it.
Azcrf331
8/12/2014 11:09am
Depression is a serious disease. Good example of how a person that has everything (seemingly) yet lost the will to live due to this disease. My...
Depression is a serious disease. Good example of how a person that has everything (seemingly) yet lost the will to live due to this disease.
My mother took her life on Christmas Day 1990. I've learned quite a bit about depression over the years and it's the most frustrating thing ever. Luckily I don't have that issue, but I know some that do.
I'm not talking about the jackass that has a bad breakup and does something stupid.
Dirty Britches-my sincerest condolences.

My dad died in 98 and was everything to me. Dad was always there for me no matter what I fuked up or needed help with. He had unconditional love for all six of his kids.

After his death I became depressed and turned to drinking. Depression is no joke, it took me 10 years to get over loosing my dad.

I know two families who have had to deal with suicides and it totally affected them in a very very negative way and it led to the ruination of the dudes son who I was close with-I was teaching him about dirt bikes and the Marines. Robert is now in ASP Florence.

Suicide is a selfish act and is the easy way out.
hillbilly
8/12/2014 11:36am
The way all the news outlets are covering this is ,,,hell,I don't know what is it,,it is fucked up.

Right now they are going on about how the blood settled in his body.

They have replayed his life all day like he died naturally or something.

It just doesn't seem right, who will kill themselves next to get on tv all day,and will they do it more spectacular to top him?

bultokid
8/12/2014 11:46am
My personal beliefs aside, I was not walking in their shoes either. Having seen the devastation left behind, my thoughts to all those that have had to deal with that, its gut wrenching.
8/13/2014 10:42am
hillbilly wrote:
The way all the news outlets are covering this is ,,,hell,I don't know what is it,,it is fucked up. Right now they are going on about...
The way all the news outlets are covering this is ,,,hell,I don't know what is it,,it is fucked up.

Right now they are going on about how the blood settled in his body.

They have replayed his life all day like he died naturally or something.

It just doesn't seem right, who will kill themselves next to get on tv all day,and will they do it more spectacular to top him?

Well maybe it can help someone who is suffering from depression. Maybe all the media attention will shed some light on the issue, it affects so many. I agree there are more important things going on right now but at the very least maybe it can help someone who is in a similar situation.
indy_maico
8/13/2014 6:16pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-hurley/theres-nothing-selfish-about…

There's Nothing Selfish About Suicide

I am a survivor of suicide.

I don't talk about it a lot these days, as I've reached the point where it feels like a lifetime ago. Healing was a long and grief-stricken process. There were times when I felt very alone in my grief and there were times when I felt lost and confused. The trouble with suicide is that no one knows what to say. No one knows how to react. So they smile and wave and attempt distraction... but they never ever say the word. The survivors, it seems, are often left to survive on their own.

I experienced endless waves of emotion in the days, weeks, months and even years following the loss of my father. The "what ifs" kept me up at night, causing me to float through each day in a state of perpetual exhaustion. What if I had answered the phone that night? Would the sound of my voice have changed his mind? Would he have done it at a later date, anyway? Survivor's guilt, indeed.

Sometimes, I cried. Sometimes, I sat perfectly still watching the waves crash down on Main Beach, hoping for a sign of some kind that he had reached a better place. Sometimes, I silently scolded myself for not seeing the warning signs. Sometimes, I bargained with God or anyone else who might be in charge up there. Bring him back to us. Please, just bring him back. Sometimes I felt angry. Why us? Why me? Why him?

Yes, I experienced a range of emotions before making peace with the loss. But one thought that never ever (not even for one second) crossed my mind was this ill-informed opinion that suicide is selfish. Suicide is a lot of things, but selfish isn't one of them.

Suicide is a decision made out of desperation, hopelessness, isolation and loneliness. The black hole that is clinical depression is all-consuming. Feeling like a burden to loved ones, feeling like there is no way out, feeling trapped and feeling isolated are all common among people who suffer from depression.

People who say that suicide is selfish always reference the survivors. It's selfish to leave children, spouses and other family members behind, so they say. They're not thinking about the survivors, or so they would have us believe. What they don't know is that those very loved ones are the reason many people hang on for just one more day. They do think about the survivors, probably up until the very last moment in many cases. But the soul-crushing depression that envelops them leaves them feeling like there is no alternative. Like the only way to get out is to opt out. And that is a devastating thought to endure.

Until you've stared down that level of depression, until you've lost your soul to a sea of emptiness and darkness... you don't get to make those judgments. You might not understand it, and you are certainly entitled to your own feelings, but making those judgments and spreading that kind of negativity won't help the next person. In fact, it will only hurt others.

As the world mourns the loss of Robin Williams, people everywhere are left feeling helpless and confused. How could someone who appeared so happy in actuality be so very depressed? The truth is that many, many people face the very same struggle each and every day. Some will commit suicide. Some will attempt. And some will hang on for dear life. Most won't be able to ask for the help that they need to overcome their mental illness.

You can help.

Know the warning signs for suicide. 50-75% of people who attempt suicide will tell someone about their intention. Listen when people talk. Make eye contact. Convey empathy. And for the love of people everywhere, put down that ridiculous not-so-SmartPhone and be human.

Check in on friends struggling with depression. Even if they don't answer the phone or come to the door, make an effort to let them know that you are there. Friendship isn't about saving lost souls; friendship is about listening and being present.

Reach out to survivors of suicide. Practice using the words "suicide" and "depression" so that they roll off the tongue as easily as "unicorns" and "bubble gum." Listen as they tell their stories. Hold their hands. Be kind with their hearts. And hug them every single time.

Encourage help. Learn about the resources in your area so that you can help friends and loved ones in need. Don't be afraid to check in over and over again. Don't be afraid to convey your concern. One human connection can make a big difference in the life of someone struggling with mental illness and/or survivor's guilt.

30,000 people commit suicide in the United States each year. 750,000 people attempt suicide. It's time to raise awareness, increase empathy and kindness, and bring those numbers down.

It's time to talk about suicide and depression.

Post a reply to: Robin Williams dead at 63

The Latest