Replicated deep space signals

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 7:54am

Although its not a slam dunk by any stretch, it is unique as a repeated pattern. Its at least interesting.

FRB's

|
Nellie12
12/29/2016 6:06pm
One of my favorite lines in a movie is from Jodie Foster in Contact. She is sitting on the porch with her father and she asks something like this...."Do you think there is anything out there?" Her dad answers..."Well, if there's isn't, it sure is a big waste of space."
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/29/2016 6:20pm
Yeah, thats a good line.

At least it answers the age old question of if a tree falls in a forrest, with no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
MXR
12/29/2016 7:19pm
I bet all the real cool stuff is far away .
JW381
12/29/2016 7:22pm
Nellie12 wrote:
One of my favorite lines in a movie is from Jodie Foster in Contact. She is sitting on the porch with her father and she asks...
One of my favorite lines in a movie is from Jodie Foster in Contact. She is sitting on the porch with her father and she asks something like this...."Do you think there is anything out there?" Her dad answers..."Well, if there's isn't, it sure is a big waste of space."
I like that movie a lot. It's not perfect, but it plays on so many things. And for some reason that sound they hear on the dishes gives me the heebie jeebies. Then when Hitler shows up, oh man. Oddly scary.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/29/2016 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2016 8:08pm
I liked it too. Mainly, because it addressed space travel, by not using a traditional propulsion "space ship". The amount of time and speed (minimum of 186,000 miles per second, not miles) needed would not be possible. Not to mention the ungodly amounts of fuel and/or resources. Alternative, time/space manipulation's are the only possible option.
JW381
12/29/2016 8:27pm
kzizok wrote:
I liked it too. Mainly, because it addressed space travel, by not using a traditional propulsion "space ship". The amount of time and speed (minimum of...
I liked it too. Mainly, because it addressed space travel, by not using a traditional propulsion "space ship". The amount of time and speed (minimum of 186,000 miles per second, not miles) needed would not be possible. Not to mention the ungodly amounts of fuel and/or resources. Alternative, time/space manipulation's are the only possible option.
That your tiny human brain can comprehend Tongue
reded
12/29/2016 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2016 8:57pm
Probably just some poor fucker beating on the trunk lid of a mob bosses bigass Caddy on planet Thrae in some sort of parallel universe. Fuggetaboutit.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/29/2016 9:28pm
kzizok wrote:
I liked it too. Mainly, because it addressed space travel, by not using a traditional propulsion "space ship". The amount of time and speed (minimum of...
JW381 wrote:
Ha! Im only allowed to understand one concept per week. This is that one for this week!

They think the replicated sounds are about 3 billion light years away. To put that in perspective, one would have to travel 6,000,000,000,000 (approximate miles covered in 1 light year) miles per year, for 3 billion years to get to the source. And now we are getting to Einstein's special theory of relativity where space time takes on a whole new meaning, unrelated to what we think they are. Obviously, any type of conventional travel (or any type we can think of), would be massively impossible.
Rooster
12/29/2016 10:20pm
kzizok wrote:
Ha! Im only allowed to understand one concept per week. This is that one for this week! They think the replicated sounds are about 3 billion...
Ha! Im only allowed to understand one concept per week. This is that one for this week!

They think the replicated sounds are about 3 billion light years away. To put that in perspective, one would have to travel 6,000,000,000,000 (approximate miles covered in 1 light year) miles per year, for 3 billion years to get to the source. And now we are getting to Einstein's special theory of relativity where space time takes on a whole new meaning, unrelated to what we think they are. Obviously, any type of conventional travel (or any type we can think of), would be massively impossible.
With the expansion of the universe, that distance gets larger every day as well.
XXVoid MainXX
12/30/2016 7:28am
kzizok wrote:
JW381 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Ha! Im only allowed to understand one concept per week. This is that one for this week! They think the replicated sounds are about 3 billion...

Not only that but the event actually happened 3 billion years ago and we're just now hearing about it. If we could travel the speed of light and get to the source of the event 3 billion years from now the event would have happened 6 billion years in the past. Whatever the source is likely changed. Also, when I read the article I took it as they believe the source is from some natural phenomenon and not something generated by intelligent life which I think is what most everyone is really interested in. Even if it were from intelligent life, a lot can happen in 3 billion years. They're probably long gone.
gabrielito
12/30/2016 7:35am
JW381 wrote:
kzizok wrote:

Not only that but the event actually happened 3 billion years ago and we're just now hearing about it. If we could travel the speed of...
Not only that but the event actually happened 3 billion years ago and we're just now hearing about it. If we could travel the speed of light and get to the source of the event 3 billion years from now the event would have happened 6 billion years in the past. Whatever the source is likely changed. Also, when I read the article I took it as they believe the source is from some natural phenomenon and not something generated by intelligent life which I think is what most everyone is really interested in. Even if it were from intelligent life, a lot can happen in 3 billion years. They're probably long gone.
but there's tons of evidence that extra terrestrials have visited Earth, so these pulses don't mean much when we have pyramids.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
12/30/2016 7:38am
kzizok wrote:
JW381 wrote:
kzizok wrote:

Now to really blow your mind.. The speed of light is 900,000 times faster than sound. So the sound we are hearing is 900,000 times older than the light we see from the sound orgin. More than likely whatever we see that far out is already expired (including the sun) if we showed up right now. The only exception is if they can manipulate sound to be faster than we know.
XXVoid MainXX
12/30/2016 8:00am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 8:07am
JW381 wrote:
kzizok wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
Now to really blow your mind.. The speed of light is 900,000 times faster than sound. So the sound we are hearing is 900,000 times older...
Now to really blow your mind.. The speed of light is 900,000 times faster than sound. So the sound we are hearing is 900,000 times older than the light we see from the sound orgin. More than likely whatever we see that far out is already expired (including the sun) if we showed up right now. The only exception is if they can manipulate sound to be faster than we know.
Heh heh, I don't think it works like that. We're not hearing "sound" from outside of our galaxy, we're receiving radio waves. Smile Also, if this was a signal from an intelligent life form, and if that species could make it billions more years they should be receiving our "I Love Lucy" episodes in almost 3 billion more years. Maybe they would hop on their space ship to come meet us another 3 billion years from then (6 billion years from now, and 9 billion years from when they sent the signal that we first heard of theirs). Unfortunately we'll be long gone. The Earth will become uninhabitable somewhere between 1.75 and 3.25 billion years from now.

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/6804/20130920/much-time-left-earth-…

Of course, there's a good chance it'll become uninhabitable much much earlier than that depending on how earthlings take care of it.
borg
12/30/2016 8:02am
JW381 wrote:
kzizok wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
Now to really blow your mind.. The speed of light is 900,000 times faster than sound. So the sound we are hearing is 900,000 times older...
Radio waves travel at the speed of light. It's not a sound wave.
MR. X
12/30/2016 8:44am
I think it's time someone posts a picture of that dude that combs his hair with a pack of firecrackers.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/30/2016 10:15am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 10:15am
Ah, but here's the deal. My explanation of miles to travel was linear. Special relativity is not linear and time and space take on new properties, according to Einstein. In other words, manipulating time, space, gravity can provide a shortcut that makes 3 billion years almost instantanious. Like the old explanation if you imagine time in a circular fashion. Point A on the south pole and point B on the north pole. Going from A to B travels around the half circle in linear time fashion, without the ability to go in reverse. However, cut across directly fom A to B and now you have cheated time by getting to the same point as the linear motion but quicker. Hence, you would be younger upon arrival than those traveling from A to B in the linear version. Also, there would not be restrictions of going backwards from B to A in special relativity.

The numbers are astonishing because that is how we understand, but the space time continuum is not how we understand.
XXVoid MainXX
12/30/2016 10:43am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 11:24am
But I don't believe that any of that can allow us to travel to some distant planet in some distant galaxy, possibly to some other distant universe, to any given point in time, or aliens would be here visiting every day. The human race is only about 200,000 years old which really is a very small amount of time in the grand scheme of the universe. 99% of our technology advances have come in just the last 100 years, which is a tiny spec in the grand scheme of the universe. Our universe is 14 billion years old. Life on Earth is possible because we are in the Goldilocks zone. That is we are on a planet that exists in a zone the right distance from a star where liquid water is possible. Now, liquid water is only possible on this planet for a finite time period (ending in 1.75 to 3 billion years from now). We know there are significant numbers of planets out there in the Goldilocks zone. The time ranges that planets exist within the Goldilocks zone will differ, some started long before Earth was in that zone.

Similarly the time scale that intelligent civilizations exist (if they exist) would surely vary greatly. If there are intelligent civilizations out there it would be naive to think there wouldn't have been some possibly billions of years before ours. If this sort of time/space bending allows travel across great distances in a short amount of time it would seem that it would be happening every day. Certainly if you believe that we're not the only intelligent life in the universe that you would also almost have to believe that we're probably very dumb compared to some of the other intelligent life out there and they would have figured it all out already.

https://youtu.be/_Ro9aebFZhM
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/30/2016 11:04am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 11:12am
Its all theory to me and interesting to talk and discuss. More than anything, Im really fascinated with how Einstein came up with this stuff. I have seen a recent video where some varibles were manipulated and time manipulation happened, only on hugely miniscule scale, but it did happen.
XXVoid MainXX
12/30/2016 12:00pm
kzizok wrote:

Not only that but the event actually happened 3 billion years ago and we're just now hearing about it. If we could travel the speed of...
gabrielito wrote:
but there's tons of evidence that extra terrestrials have visited Earth, so these pulses don't mean much when we have pyramids.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
12/30/2016 12:12pm
kzizok wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
Heh heh, I don't think it works like that. We're not hearing "sound" from outside of our galaxy, we're receiving radio waves. :) Also, if this...
Heh heh, I don't think it works like that. We're not hearing "sound" from outside of our galaxy, we're receiving radio waves. Smile Also, if this was a signal from an intelligent life form, and if that species could make it billions more years they should be receiving our "I Love Lucy" episodes in almost 3 billion more years. Maybe they would hop on their space ship to come meet us another 3 billion years from then (6 billion years from now, and 9 billion years from when they sent the signal that we first heard of theirs). Unfortunately we'll be long gone. The Earth will become uninhabitable somewhere between 1.75 and 3.25 billion years from now.

Of course, there's a good chance it'll become uninhabitable much much earlier than that depending on how earthlings take care of it.
Gotcha, I was mixing the two.. so are we saying the noise we are detecting was from "just" 3 billion years ago?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/30/2016 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 12:33pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Heh heh, I don't think it works like that. We're not hearing "sound" from outside of our galaxy, we're receiving radio waves. :) Also, if this...

tcannon521 wrote:
Gotcha, I was mixing the two.. so are we saying the noise we are detecting was from "just" 3 billion years ago?
Yeah, but 3 billion light years (hence my reference of 1 light year represents 6 trillion miles).
XXVoid MainXX
12/30/2016 9:04pm
And radio waves travel at the speed of light which means it took the signal 3 billion years to get to us from 3 billion light years (17,635,499,430,000,000,000,000 miles) away.
JW381
12/30/2016 9:56pm
And radio waves travel at the speed of light which means it took the signal 3 billion years to get to us from 3 billion light...
And radio waves travel at the speed of light which means it took the signal 3 billion years to get to us from 3 billion light years (17,635,499,430,000,000,000,000 miles) away.
Makes me feel really, really small
XXVoid MainXX
12/31/2016 6:58am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 7:27am
And radio waves travel at the speed of light which means it took the signal 3 billion years to get to us from 3 billion light...
JW381 wrote:
Makes me feel really, really small
And to put that more into perspective if that signal had originated from our moon which is 238,900 miles (1.3 light seconds) away it only would have taken that signal a little over 1 second to reach us traveling at the speed of light (186,282 miles per second). That signal would have taken 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us if it had originated from our Sun. If the fire were to instantly go out on the Sun, it would take 8 minutes and 20 seconds for us to notice because the Sun is 8.3 light minutes (0.00001581 light years or 93,000,000 miles) away from us. 3 billion light years is quite a long ways away comparatively. Smile
JPT
12/31/2016 8:21am
All this makes our drive to Phoenix in Feb. seem pretty lame.
rhargrave431
12/31/2016 8:49am
I read this thing one time saying if an intelligent life form had a telescope powerful enough to see us right now, even from the next closest galaxy, they would be seeing the dinosaurs. Thats how light and time travel.
MR. X
12/31/2016 8:54am
And to put that more into perspective if that signal had originated from our moon which is 238,900 miles (1.3 light seconds) away it only would...
And to put that more into perspective if that signal had originated from our moon which is 238,900 miles (1.3 light seconds) away it only would have taken that signal a little over 1 second to reach us traveling at the speed of light (186,282 miles per second). That signal would have taken 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us if it had originated from our Sun. If the fire were to instantly go out on the Sun, it would take 8 minutes and 20 seconds for us to notice because the Sun is 8.3 light minutes (0.00001581 light years or 93,000,000 miles) away from us. 3 billion light years is quite a long ways away comparatively. Smile
Its also crazy to think how big a galaxy is , then to think a galaxy that big is so far away that it appears to be a small star in the sky.
XXVoid MainXX
12/31/2016 8:58am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 9:09am
JPT wrote:
All this makes our drive to Phoenix in Feb. seem pretty lame.
Yes sir. Phoenix is only 0.0080845 light seconds or 0.0000000002561823 light years or 1,506 miles from you. Actually a little less than that as a crow flies. Smile So if we had a ship that was fast enough to get you to Phoenix in .008 seconds it would still take you 3 billion years to get to where this signal came from on that same ship. Smile
tomm55x
12/31/2016 11:00am
this stuff is GREAT!! I find this type of discussion very interesting, learning is a wonderful thing.

Post a reply to: Replicated deep space signals

The Latest