Replacing Nissan Frontier battery terminal

newmann
6/28/2015 2:30pm
Get an aerosol can of battery cleaner and a small stainless wire brush and clean all that up. Then see if you can adapt a universal mount to it from the auto parts store. Some of those cables are only serviced as an assembly from the dealer. Dig around online and see if you can find a parts diagram for it. If nothing else I could check for you in the morning, just need a VIN number.

My neighbors Lincoln had the same issue and the replacement cable was not only expensive but it snaked all through the engine bay. Would have been a mess to change but I got it pieced nicely back together for a few bucks .
6/28/2015 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 3:25pm
Thanks Newman and Downsouth. The positive cable has three attachments. Probably more than I want to deal with. And yeah this thing is too close to the terminals.
That front nut won't come off. Sealed with battery acid I think.

The Shop

DownSouth
6/28/2015 4:48pm
That wiring looks like standard battery cable. Just cut off the cable with the seized nut and put a new end on as long as you still have enough length on that cable after clipping it off. Replacement cable ends are easy to put on and every auto parts store has a variety of them. If it ends up too short you will have to replace the cable which should not be too hard as long as the connection for the other end is not buried too deep in the engine compartment.
newmann
6/28/2015 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 5:56pm
Thanks Newman and Downsouth. The positive cable has three attachments. Probably more than I want to deal with. And yeah this thing is too close to...
Thanks Newman and Downsouth. The positive cable has three attachments. Probably more than I want to deal with. And yeah this thing is too close to the terminals.
That front nut won't come off. Sealed with battery acid I think.
Grind that bolt head off and replace that fuse block and terminal clamp. Bet the copper end is still okay under all the funk. You can do it!

7/1/2015 9:13pm
So just to close the door on this, if you ever have this problem, which is common with Nissans.
I tracked down the part number for the fusible assembly and the dealer had it. Price matched his $49 price with an Internet printout to get it down to $32.
Once I put the drill-socket on the front bolt it sheared off:

I clipped the cable under the sheared off bolt, crimped a new cable end and bolted to new quick latch terminal clamp.
And then put on the other two bolts. Good to go. Easy in the end but took a little figuring out.

Post a reply to: Replacing Nissan Frontier battery terminal

The Latest