Remember 9/11

Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 10:15pm
I remember I was sleeping and my wife woke me up and said that terrorist were attacking America and flying a plane into the WTC. I thought to myself, "she's silly, it's just a plane crashing." Then I got up and and shortly afterwards another plane flew into the WTC.

RIP to all who lost their lives on that day.
|
9/11/2014 7:21am
I remember I was sleeping and my wife woke me up and said that terrorist were attacking America and flying a plane into the WTC. I...
I remember I was sleeping and my wife woke me up and said that terrorist were attacking America and flying a plane into the WTC. I thought to myself, "she's silly, it's just a plane crashing." Then I got up and and shortly afterwards another plane flew into the WTC.

RIP to all who lost their lives on that day.
Haven't you heard? Those weren't really planes. Even if they were, Cheney was remotely piloting them. //sarc off//

Seriously, a terrible time I will never forget. Prayers for the families that lost loved ones, and the dead innocents that did nothing but go to work that day with the thought of getting through the day and returning home.
hvaughn88
9/11/2014 7:34am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 7:35am
I was in junior high, I just remember everyone being kind of in shock and watching the news on tv during classes all day. We also lived in a town with a large nuclear power plant, so that caused a lot of anxiety as well. It's also my dads birthday, so I always remember those two things together. It's just so sad. Seems like it just kept getting worse as the hours passed too.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
9/11/2014 7:45am
I'm surprised there haven't been any attacks on us today, praying for the best.
Harry_Gray
9/11/2014 7:50am
I was stationed @ Nellis AFB during that time; I was on a day off, so I slept in for a bit. Got up, turned on the radio to the Howard Stern show and grabbed a cup of coffee and went outside for a smoke. Obviously, when the SHTF, he wasn't his normal Dick and Fart joking self. Turned on the news, and it was gruesome. Work called shortly thereafter and was on standby. Went in that evening to the shop and started working on stuff for the local Med Group to send out via airlift. Long day. May God be with the families of the fallen.

The Shop

Harry_Gray
9/11/2014 7:51am
Crash82 wrote:
I'm surprised there haven't been any attacks on us today, praying for the best.
Me too Crash, me too...
motosmith
9/11/2014 8:41am
At 18:00 the building comes down. Looks like a few baseball size chunks of concrete flying past the camera man.

IWreckALot
9/11/2014 8:42am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I was in junior high, I just remember everyone being kind of in shock and watching the news on tv during classes all day. We also...
I was in junior high, I just remember everyone being kind of in shock and watching the news on tv during classes all day. We also lived in a town with a large nuclear power plant, so that caused a lot of anxiety as well. It's also my dads birthday, so I always remember those two things together. It's just so sad. Seems like it just kept getting worse as the hours passed too.
I was in History class when it happened in high school. I guess we're pretty close in age. I'm 28. I remember being a bit naive and not thinking it was a terrorist plot. Then the second hit.

Ignoring the political side of everything, some of the coolest shows of humanity were put on display that day. It's the stories you hear of people going in to save others that restores your faith that there are good people to be found still.
hvaughn88
9/11/2014 8:53am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I was in junior high, I just remember everyone being kind of in shock and watching the news on tv during classes all day. We also...
IWreckALot wrote:
I was in History class when it happened in high school. I guess we're pretty close in age. I'm 28. I remember being a bit naive...
I was in History class when it happened in high school. I guess we're pretty close in age. I'm 28. I remember being a bit naive and not thinking it was a terrorist plot. Then the second hit.

Ignoring the political side of everything, some of the coolest shows of humanity were put on display that day. It's the stories you hear of people going in to save others that restores your faith that there are good people to be found still.
That's the truth. Regardless of all this mess being talked about in the other thread, you can't ignore the actions of the heroes that day. Those people are what make me so proud to be an American. There's definitely still good people in the world, just gotta find them and make sure you keep them around. I considered myself to be a pretty lucky guy. I have a very solid group of good friends that stood by me and I can count on. I never take it for granted.
35smom
9/11/2014 9:41am
I was watching the NY Morning Show on CBS when they broke in to report the first plane had hit. As they were reporting the live shot the second plane came into view and crashed into the 2nd tower right before my eyes. I was horrified. My daughter was a Junior in high school. Parents raced to the school. She called me frightened and I told her stay, its the best place to be. Later I went to pick her up, and for the life of me, I will never forget seeing her sitting in the courtyard with 2 friends who parents never came...because they never made it out of Tower 2.

My very good friend Steve died that day. He was a Port Authority Policeman. Off Duty and in NJ when the first plane hit, starting his first day off the beat and as instructor at the Police Academy in Jersey City. He rushed across on the ferry and rushed to help. Was last seen entering Tower 2, they never found his remains. His son Liam just graduated last month from the Police Academy.
hvaughn88
9/11/2014 9:50am
35smom wrote:
I was watching the NY Morning Show on CBS when they broke in to report the first plane had hit. As they were reporting the live...
I was watching the NY Morning Show on CBS when they broke in to report the first plane had hit. As they were reporting the live shot the second plane came into view and crashed into the 2nd tower right before my eyes. I was horrified. My daughter was a Junior in high school. Parents raced to the school. She called me frightened and I told her stay, its the best place to be. Later I went to pick her up, and for the life of me, I will never forget seeing her sitting in the courtyard with 2 friends who parents never came...because they never made it out of Tower 2.

My very good friend Steve died that day. He was a Port Authority Policeman. Off Duty and in NJ when the first plane hit, starting his first day off the beat and as instructor at the Police Academy in Jersey City. He rushed across on the ferry and rushed to help. Was last seen entering Tower 2, they never found his remains. His son Liam just graduated last month from the Police Academy.
That's some heavy stuff. I can't even begin to imagine the loss people experienced. So sorry for your loss. I know you probably already know this and don't need to be reminded, but the silver lining is that you were fortunate to know and have memories of such great people in your life. Very cool story about the son becoming a police officer. I'm sure the pride and respect he has for his father can't be matched.
71Fish
9/11/2014 1:26pm
I was stationed at Edwards AFB in CA. I stayed at my (then) girlfriend's house the night before. I got up before her as I usually did and got coffee/breakfast ready. Turned on Fox News from LA like always. The news guy Tony McEwing was reporting as they showed the live shot just after the plane hit the first tower. I was thinking what a terrible accident. Then during the live feed I watch the second hit and knew then it was no accident. Got my girlfriend out of bed to have her come watch. Got dressed fast and went to work. She took her son to the day care on base and reported to work.

We were all really nervous because at first all of the planes in the air at the time coming from Asia were going to diverted to Edwards AFB. Not knowing WTF was going on didn't make us feel to comfortable with that decision. I think they all ended up going to Canada, or most of them.

Since then life in the military was changed forever. I'm retired now but work on a base so I still see/feel it daily.
whyZ
9/11/2014 3:15pm
Was in San Diego, in a rental on Pacific Beach three days into weeks long vacation for our 7th wedding anniversary. Just played Torre Pines the day before and whooped it that night. Like usual woke up early and went out to the living room, still a little rough from the night before turned on the tube and same thing like has been said before. Watching the newscasters, when out of nowhere comes another plane. Didn't know if I was still drunk from the night before and imagined it.

About the only good thing was being able to spend the next 5 hours taking it in. It was awfully odd finally coming out and no planes in the sky being they pretty much take off and fly over Mission Bay.

One last thing. Is it true that the National Broadcasting System finally did take over the airwaves, after years of hearing their interruptions saying, "This is a test, had it been an actual emergency you would have been instructed to bla...bla...bla."

thesadguy
9/11/2014 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 4:55pm
I was 4. I vaguely remember it. I went to work with my dad at my grandpa's moto shop and we watched it the second plane hit live in the back behind the counter. That is the only part I can remember besides everyone being worried. My dad says we heard it on the radio on the way in and turned it on right when we got there. My mom checked my two siblings out of school. That is about it. Very fuzzy obviously.
9/11/2014 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2014 5:55pm
I was stationed at Whitman AFB, the home of the B-2. We were doing a AF wide exercise where all nuclear capable planes were uploaded, then flight crews would respond all at once world wide. They would fire up the planes and wait for the command to shut them down. It was and exercise to see how fast we could up load every plane in the world. I was standing on a red line on the flight line with an M-16. On 9/10 all the planes were loaded up and we were waiting on some big wig to tell the crews to respond to the planes. So think about this; every nuc plane in the entire AF was loaded and cocked on around midnight of the 11th. Just before the planes hit, the crews were given the signal to respond to the planes. We had 12 (i think) B-2 up and running and ready for business. We got the word that the planes had hit the towers and I thought "what kind of bullshit exercise is this?" But the dude that told me turned up the commercial radio and not the AF radio. Our flight chief ordered all the planes to be shut down and the doors on the hangers closed. They stayed closed for an hour or so as we were told to report planes over head. Then two hangers doors opened and the planes fired up. I thought 'Oh SHIT'! They ran for a while then they shut them down and closed the doors. (I can only imagine what was being discussed at the pentagon about those two planes). The flight line was totally quiet for two months or so I think except for a C-130 that came in. Then one night I was working and two tugs came in the back of the hanger. About 3 or 4 hours later, two B-2s left. Then two more left the next day, then two came back, and two left and that went on for months. This image i stole from google was about where I was standing.

9/11/2014 5:55pm
Oh and I had gotten home from Kuwait the week before and saw Pantera's second to last show ever two days before. Cool
JM485
9/11/2014 8:55pm
35smom wrote:
I was watching the NY Morning Show on CBS when they broke in to report the first plane had hit. As they were reporting the live...

Wow, that really hit hard. I was too younge at the time to really have any idea what was happening, but hearing stories like that really bring a perspective of how huge an event this was. Prayers to those lost and for their friends and family left behind, I can't imagine losing someone that way, let alone a parent.
TDeath21
9/11/2014 9:41pm
Dang 35smom, that last sentence in the first paragraph is so heavy.

I was in 5th grade. I remember going to music class early that morning and my music teacher telling me something horrible had happened, but didn't tell us what it was. We didn't really do anything but talk amongst ourselves that class. When we got back to our homeroom, my 5th grade teacher told us that our country had been attacked and that two planes had flown into the World Trade Center. We weren't really old enough to understand what that meant, but the somber mood of every teacher in the building made me understand this was major. The entire day we didn't really do anything. Some students had their parents pick them up. My mom picked me up when school was out and I could tell she had been crying. We went home and watched the news until I went to sleep. She was very sad and that rubbed off on me, even though I didn't fully understand the severity of it all. I remember everyone freaking out about gas prices and going to fill up their tanks. The thing I think that stood out the most to me though was the next few days where there was absolutely nothing in the sky. I guess you are just used to the noise of a jet or the several white streaks in the sky, but when there's no noises at all up there and no white streaks, that's eerie, even to a 5th grader.
enketchum
9/11/2014 10:15pm
I was in 8th grade. I woke up, on the west coast, and as I was getting into the shower I heard the TV saying a plane hit one of the World Trade Center buildings. I kept walking assumed it was some idiot in a Cessna that got too close. I got out of the shower and my dad waved me in and I saw the big ass hole in the side of one of the towers. I don't remember anything else from that day except sitting in Home Room or History, same classroom, and hearing that both buildlings had fallen down. Then we were like WTF is going on.

Post a reply to: Remember 9/11

The Latest