Redbull Rampage

TailSoHard
10/15/2015 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2015 11:23am
Anybody else as excited as I am to watch Rampage tomorrow?!?!

|
IWreckALot
10/15/2015 1:48pm
I love watching this event. But that is some sketchy ass terrain they ride on. I sure hope none of them ever make the wrong move. There was a guy a couple of years ago that came up short on the metal ramp and he was pretty messed up. Came back last year and made that metal ramp his bitch. Pretty insane what they do in this event.
TailSoHard
10/15/2015 2:07pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I love watching this event. But that is some sketchy ass terrain they ride on. I sure hope none of them ever make the wrong move...
I love watching this event. But that is some sketchy ass terrain they ride on. I sure hope none of them ever make the wrong move. There was a guy a couple of years ago that came up short on the metal ramp and he was pretty messed up. Came back last year and made that metal ramp his bitch. Pretty insane what they do in this event.
Yeah that's for sure, there have been some terrifying crashes over the years...

I do like that they let the rider pick and create their own lines down the hill though, seems to allow them some freedom to go around things they think are too dangerous (or in some cases, not dangerous enough haha).
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/15/2015 2:22pm
It's almost to the point I don't like watching, it has gotten that gnarly. I just fear for some of the guys. That is coming from someone who hits 30-40ft jumps on my trail bike, this stuff is just bonkers now!

That said, yes I'll be tuning in haha

The Shop

rosebud441
10/15/2015 2:50pm
I know what you mean.. I get spooked watching, mostly because i can't comprehend the giant shit they hit..
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/15/2015 3:31pm
rosebud441 wrote:
I know what you mean.. I get spooked watching, mostly because i can't comprehend the giant shit they hit..
That's a better way to put it, it spooks me since it's gotten so gnarly.
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
10/15/2015 4:33pm
Cheering on our my friends Paul Bas and Cam Zink. Paul will probably have a nice smooth line, and Cam will probably huck something big. Hoping everyone makes it through safely.
TailSoHard
10/16/2015 6:09am
Nicholi Rogatkin had a pretty gnarly crash already. Amazing he got up, walked it off, then finished his run... These guys are on another level Shocked

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
10/16/2015 8:22am
Love this event. Our very close friend Kenan Harkin has been the commentator since it started and kills it. That terrain is insane in the membrane.
TailSoHard
10/16/2015 11:41am
Andreu looks like he had an awesome run planned but got a little too out of shape over that hip. I think he'll come out and do something big in the next run
peelout
10/16/2015 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2015 12:29pm
my cousin who is insane on a bmx bike is down there and has been posting photos on his instagram since yesterday. looks like he was drunker than 10 indians at about 8 this morning, lol

it's on my list of rad shit to do in the next 3 years
TailSoHard
10/16/2015 1:04pm
peelout wrote:
my cousin who is insane on a bmx bike is down there and has been posting photos on his instagram since yesterday. looks like he was...
my cousin who is insane on a bmx bike is down there and has been posting photos on his instagram since yesterday. looks like he was drunker than 10 indians at about 8 this morning, lol

Have you been to that area before? I hear the locals all go out and ride the course for a week or two after Rampage is done... You should totally do it Woohoo
TailSoHard
10/16/2015 1:44pm
Damn, that sucks about the wind... I wanted to see Aggy get one more run in, and it sounds like Andreu was bummed he didn't get to go again either.
peelout
10/16/2015 2:03pm
peelout wrote:
my cousin who is insane on a bmx bike is down there and has been posting photos on his instagram since yesterday. looks like he was...

TailSoHard wrote:
Have you been to that area before? I hear the locals all go out and ride the course for a week or two after Rampage is...
Have you been to that area before? I hear the locals all go out and ride the course for a week or two after Rampage is done... You should totally do it Woohoo
Ridge and i did a lot of riding in that area last year, well, about 10 miles West anyway. the terrain is insane on a dirtbike, can't even imagine going down that shit on a mountain bike
10/18/2015 11:22pm
It sounds like the inevitable happened. Paul Basagoitia over shot a landing and is in ICU with no feeling in his legs....
Shiftfaced
10/19/2015 7:28am
While I am supportive of "progression" of the sport, this event has eclipsed what I can support. This is truly "death defying" at this point, and the risks are exceeding the reward.

Also, I know that general "craziness" is what the norm is at most bicycling events, but I watched a video of somebody heading down the hill, and I could not get past all of the horns, bells, whistling, and yelling.

How can that NOT be distracting? To the point of being a menace?

If a sport EVER deserved the silence that is displayed at a golf event, this is it.

SILENCE while somebody is on the course. Once they stop, whoop it up.
TailSoHard
10/20/2015 7:01am
NV825 wrote:
Cheering on our my friends Paul Bas and Cam Zink. Paul will probably have a nice smooth line, and Cam will probably huck something big. Hoping...
Cheering on our my friends Paul Bas and Cam Zink. Paul will probably have a nice smooth line, and Cam will probably huck something big. Hoping everyone makes it through safely.
Really sorry to hear about Paul man, that really sucks. Wishing him and his family a speedy recovery
TailSoHard
10/20/2015 7:05am
Shiftfaced wrote:
While I am supportive of "progression" of the sport, this event has eclipsed what I can support. This is truly "death defying" at this point, and...
While I am supportive of "progression" of the sport, this event has eclipsed what I can support. This is truly "death defying" at this point, and the risks are exceeding the reward.

Also, I know that general "craziness" is what the norm is at most bicycling events, but I watched a video of somebody heading down the hill, and I could not get past all of the horns, bells, whistling, and yelling.

If a sport EVER deserved the silence that is displayed at a golf event, this is it.

I've noticed that too. Even at some local races that I've done, those stupid horns and cowbells have been extremely distracting. I've yelled at a couple people for ringing them in my face on some gnarly uphills before. Shuts them right up when they realize they're being annoying lol The last thing I want during a 50 mile race in 40 degree temps is some assclown sipping Fireball waving a cowbell in my face saying "you're almost there!!" when I know I have like over half the race left. Fuckin idiots. A simple "you can do it!" or "keep it up!" will suffice...
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/20/2015 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2015 12:07pm
Shiftfaced wrote:
While I am supportive of "progression" of the sport, this event has eclipsed what I can support. This is truly "death defying" at this point, and...

TailSoHard wrote:
I've noticed that too. Even at some local races that I've done, those stupid horns and cowbells have been extremely distracting. I've yelled at a couple...
I've noticed that too. Even at some local races that I've done, those stupid horns and cowbells have been extremely distracting. I've yelled at a couple people for ringing them in my face on some gnarly uphills before. Shuts them right up when they realize they're being annoying lol The last thing I want during a 50 mile race in 40 degree temps is some assclown sipping Fireball waving a cowbell in my face saying "you're almost there!!" when I know I have like over half the race left. Fuckin idiots. A simple "you can do it!" or "keep it up!" will suffice...
Hot damn...our friends used to spray beer on us in downhill races as we came into gnarly rock gardens
Shiftfaced
10/21/2015 8:18am
seth505 wrote:
Hot damn...our friends used to spray beer on us in downhill races as we came into gnarly rock gardens
Agreed. That is the "norm", but is it right, or acceptable, at this kind of event?

The way I am looking at it, the people on the sidelines are just that: On the sidelines.

I was talking with a buddy about this yesterday, and his comment was "they have an unbelievable ability to focus, and that is why they are able to perform these stunts".

Ok. I can largely agree with that. But why test that? Why even push that to a point of "maybe" making an impact on those who are participating?

Everybody likes to act the fool, and it seems to be to be double or triple the norm at cycling events. Personally, ESPECIALLY at this event, I'd like to see the promoters ask for a touch of respect to the athletes, and give them every opportunity for success, and the schmoes on the sidelines can do that by putting a cork in it while somebody is on the course.

Am I totally off on this?
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
10/21/2015 8:40am
NV825 wrote:
Cheering on our my friends Paul Bas and Cam Zink. Paul will probably have a nice smooth line, and Cam will probably huck something big. Hoping...
TailSoHard wrote:
Really sorry to hear about Paul man, that really sucks. Wishing him and his family a speedy recovery
It really does suck for him, last thing I heard he's still in the ICU. Hopefully he will regain feeling in his legs once swelling goes down. Jimmy Button's Road2Recovery has setup a fund if any of you guys also feel like donating to go towards his med bills.

http://www.road2recovery.com/cause-view/irideforpaul/
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
10/21/2015 11:23am
seth505 wrote:
Shiftfaced wrote:
Agreed. That is the "norm", but is it right, or acceptable, at this kind of event? The way I am looking at it, the people on...
Agreed. That is the "norm", but is it right, or acceptable, at this kind of event?

The way I am looking at it, the people on the sidelines are just that: On the sidelines.

I was talking with a buddy about this yesterday, and his comment was "they have an unbelievable ability to focus, and that is why they are able to perform these stunts".

Ok. I can largely agree with that. But why test that? Why even push that to a point of "maybe" making an impact on those who are participating?

Everybody likes to act the fool, and it seems to be to be double or triple the norm at cycling events. Personally, ESPECIALLY at this event, I'd like to see the promoters ask for a touch of respect to the athletes, and give them every opportunity for success, and the schmoes on the sidelines can do that by putting a cork in it while somebody is on the course.

Am I totally off on this?
No you have a great point. Like 10 years ago I was competing in a skatepark competition and a few of use decided to go up on top of a full half pipe and ride across the top deck, bunny hop off edge, down 15 feet over a fence and onto another part of the skatepark to a wedge landing. It was pretty nutty and people were up there chearing/carrying on.
Anyway, I went 2nd and as I got near the end a dude jumped out "cheering" and I had to bunnyhop too early. I cased the wedge landing exploded my rear wheel on impact and hurt my tailbone getting ejected. I could have done without that guy haha

Post a reply to: Redbull Rampage

The Latest