Recommend documentaries

J.F.S
9/10/2015 2:42pm
The Act of Killing

Is an extremely fascinating documentary, check it out.
J.F.S
9/10/2015 2:44pm
The forecaster

Also interesting, if you own any type of stocks or have investments, check it out.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
9/10/2015 3:42pm
Watching the Ken Burns Civil War series on PBS now.
9/10/2015 4:20pm
All This Mayhem - Documentary about the Papas brothers in skateboarding, POWERFUL DOCUMENTARY!

Crash Reel - About Kevin Pearce the snowboarder

The Shop

9/10/2015 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2015 6:03pm
On the music side of things this one was insane to re-visit the life of Ginger Baker (drummer for Cream), 'Beware of Mr. Baker' . What a nut, but what a fantastic drummer.
JRT812
9/10/2015 6:03pm
Full Circle: A Life Story of Eustace Conway, Also, read the Last American Man
Firefly47
9/11/2015 1:48pm
A few good ones come to mind -

Long Way Round
Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong story
Point and Shoot
Craigslist Joe
Paradise Lost 1, 2, and 3
As it Happens: The PAcific Crest Trail
Firefly47
9/11/2015 1:56pm
lestat wrote:
WHICH WAY IS THE FRONT LINE FROM HERE? THE LIFE AND TIMES OF TIM HETHERINGTON
Tim was an epic man for many, many reasons.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
9/12/2015 7:55pm
I watched 'The Clear' tonight about Scientology and it was everything you think it would be. Didn't really have a strong enough closing for me, but I found it interesting.
Hut
12/22/2015 6:30pm
"Making a Murderer" Thanks DanDunes

"Auschwitz: The Nazis and 'The Final Solution'" by BBC on Netflix; best documentary I have ever seen.
Sandberm
12/22/2015 6:54pm
Both sports docs but the wife also liked them,

"Red Army", which was about the power house Russian Hockey team from the 70's through the NHL years in the 90's. I'm not a big hockey guy but to see the training methods, politics and the team comraderie was great.

and also,

"The Good Son:The Life of Ray Boom Boom Mancini", Powerful stuff to see the tough neighborhood upbringing to his fight with and the death in the ring of Kim Duk-koo

Some others that got mentioned already that I'll second, "Forks Over Knives" and "The Unknown Known"
DanDunes818
12/23/2015 12:34am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 12:36am
The Jinx was really good. Interesting look at a strange life.

When we left earth was good from discovery.

Shane
That was awesome, but obviously right now (with my other thread) I HIGHLY recommend 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix. I am a documentary addict and that is, to date, the most well done documentary I've ever had to suffer through--incredible. Never have I been so angry and emotionally drawn into a documentary. You feel like your riding in the front seat of the car with all the major players from jump street to present day. And, you hope you can somehow find a way to change tomorrow.

Right now, because of my googling of 'Making a Murderer' facts and the comparisons drawn everywhere, I'm in the middle of listening to the 'Serial' podcast. It's a podcast series that looks into the Adnan Seyed murder conviction. I'm not sure how I had never heard of it with 80 million downloads (breaking all podcast records) but I'm glad I finally did. Again, incredible.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work starting with A1, but this stuff has definitely made the last few weeks of the offseason fly by.
12/23/2015 4:24am
Just checked out the Making a Murderer episode on youtube, very interesting watch. Thanks.
hvaughn88
12/23/2015 5:44am
The Jinx was really good. Interesting look at a strange life.

When we left earth was good from discovery.

Shane
That was awesome, but obviously right now (with my other thread) I HIGHLY recommend 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix. I am a documentary addict and that...
That was awesome, but obviously right now (with my other thread) I HIGHLY recommend 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix. I am a documentary addict and that is, to date, the most well done documentary I've ever had to suffer through--incredible. Never have I been so angry and emotionally drawn into a documentary. You feel like your riding in the front seat of the car with all the major players from jump street to present day. And, you hope you can somehow find a way to change tomorrow.

Right now, because of my googling of 'Making a Murderer' facts and the comparisons drawn everywhere, I'm in the middle of listening to the 'Serial' podcast. It's a podcast series that looks into the Adnan Seyed murder conviction. I'm not sure how I had never heard of it with 80 million downloads (breaking all podcast records) but I'm glad I finally did. Again, incredible.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work starting with A1, but this stuff has definitely made the last few weeks of the offseason fly by.
I'm listening to the bowe burgdahl episodes of serial right now. Can't wait for the next episode
KTMShane699
12/23/2015 5:47am
That was awesome, but obviously right now (with my other thread) I HIGHLY recommend 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix. I am a documentary addict and that...

I'm on episode 9 of Making a Killer. Pretty serious look at the shortcomings of our justice system. I understand (like I said in the other thread) the guy had his issues, but I don't see how they got a conviction on the guy for murder in this case. The fact that they got away with it is just crazy.

Curious if they're still pursuing the case and where it stands.

Shane
IWreckALot
12/23/2015 5:48am
peelout wrote:
Kurt Cobain - Montage of Heck great docu, interesting how intelligent and bright he was yet searching for approval and affection from those around him. obviously...
Kurt Cobain - Montage of Heck

great docu, interesting how intelligent and bright he was yet searching for approval and affection from those around him. obviously his spiral into drugs was one for the ages, but the documentary was very well put together and had me interested the whole way through.

You'll probably flame me for my opinion, but I really dislike Nirvana. And it's Cobain's voice that grinds on me.

Having said that, I hate seeing musicians getting trapped in the circle of drugs.
IWreckALot
12/23/2015 5:56am
Hut wrote:
"Making a Murderer" Thanks DanDunes

"Auschwitz: The Nazis and 'The Final Solution'" by BBC on Netflix; best documentary I have ever seen.
I don't know why, but anytime there is anything on the holocaust or Hitler on TV, I'll take the time to watch it. I find it really fascinating how one guy was able to convince so many people to carry out his extermination plan. It just goes to show you how many truly evil people there are in this world. Dr. Mengele was likely the most evil guy in all of the holocaust. He makes Hitler look like a saint in my book. He went well beyond the definition of torture. I really wish they could have found his medical journals so that we could have gained some of the real medical breakthroughs he discovered. He got off way too easy dying of a stroke.

There was a one hour documentary on HBO I believe called "Doped: The Dirty Side of Sports". I finally understand the relationship between WADA and USADA and how the drug testing process works after watching that movie. It also explained how WADA became the international drug testing administration. WADA is really butthurt that the American sports leagues didn't contract with them.
jamma10
12/23/2015 6:29am
All This Mayhem - Documentary about the Papas brothers in skateboarding, POWERFUL DOCUMENTARY!

Crash Reel - About Kevin Pearce the snowboarder
Have you seen 'McConkey'?
LoudLove
12/23/2015 6:58am
"Dogtown & Z-Boys"

And just about everything from Errol Morris.
Uncle Tony
12/23/2015 7:36am
IWreckALot wrote:
I don't know why, but anytime there is anything on the holocaust or Hitler on TV, I'll take the time to watch it. I find it...
I don't know why, but anytime there is anything on the holocaust or Hitler on TV, I'll take the time to watch it. I find it really fascinating how one guy was able to convince so many people to carry out his extermination plan. It just goes to show you how many truly evil people there are in this world. Dr. Mengele was likely the most evil guy in all of the holocaust. He makes Hitler look like a saint in my book. He went well beyond the definition of torture. I really wish they could have found his medical journals so that we could have gained some of the real medical breakthroughs he discovered. He got off way too easy dying of a stroke.

There was a one hour documentary on HBO I believe called "Doped: The Dirty Side of Sports". I finally understand the relationship between WADA and USADA and how the drug testing process works after watching that movie. It also explained how WADA became the international drug testing administration. WADA is really butthurt that the American sports leagues didn't contract with them.
I was also fascinated as sad as it maybe by hitler and holocaust tv documentaries, I love the lance Armstrong one you posted awhile back, forgot the name but I watched it a few times
Spydee
12/23/2015 9:40am
Uncle Tony wrote:
I was also fascinated as sad as it maybe by hitler and holocaust tv documentaries, I love the lance Armstrong one you posted awhile back, forgot...
I was also fascinated as sad as it maybe by hitler and holocaust tv documentaries, I love the lance Armstrong one you posted awhile back, forgot the name but I watched it a few times
The Lance doc was awesome, I watched that a few months back and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it considering I know nothing about cycling.
DanDunes818
12/23/2015 10:23am

I'm on episode 9 of Making a Killer. Pretty serious look at the shortcomings of our justice system. I understand (like I said in the other...
I'm on episode 9 of Making a Killer. Pretty serious look at the shortcomings of our justice system. I understand (like I said in the other thread) the guy had his issues, but I don't see how they got a conviction on the guy for murder in this case. The fact that they got away with it is just crazy.

Curious if they're still pursuing the case and where it stands.

Shane
Shane, The last episode tells you where it's at now.

Another real good documentary, I think it's on Netflix now, is 'Soaked in Bleach'. It's about the final days of Kurt Cobain and how he "really died". It's done by a former cop turned private investigator that Courtney Love hired right before Cobain died. The investigator begins suspecting that Cobain did not commit suicide and that he was hired and set up by Love to help cover up a Cobain's murder.
Uncle Tony
12/23/2015 10:46am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 10:48am
I just watched "soaked in bleach" the other day, thought it was awesome
SF45
12/23/2015 10:53am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 10:53am
Little Dieter Needs to Fly (shot down pilot's experience as Vietnam POW)

Grizzly Man (crazy guy who lived with Grizzlies. You've probably seen it)

The Seven Five (Corrupt cops in 80's NYC)
IWreckALot
12/23/2015 10:58am
IWreckALot wrote:
I don't know why, but anytime there is anything on the holocaust or Hitler on TV, I'll take the time to watch it. I find it...

Uncle Tony wrote:
I was also fascinated as sad as it maybe by hitler and holocaust tv documentaries, I love the lance Armstrong one you posted awhile back, forgot...
I've heard it referenced that there were quite a few medical discoveries at the expense of the jews by Dr. Mengele. I do know that he successfully hid or destroyed the majority of his medical journal.

The Lance documentary was called Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story. That one is interesting too. Even the apologies he made on Oprah and personally to his former teammates leading up to his confession didn't seem genuine. Just seemed like they were somehow to benefit him. But to the degree he took everything, there is literally NOTHING he can do to redeem himself to those who mattered.
hvaughn88
12/23/2015 11:09am
IWreckALot wrote:

Uncle Tony wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I've heard it referenced that there were quite a few medical discoveries at the expense of the jews by Dr. Mengele. I do know that he...
I've heard it referenced that there were quite a few medical discoveries at the expense of the jews by Dr. Mengele. I do know that he successfully hid or destroyed the majority of his medical journal.

The Lance documentary was called Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story. That one is interesting too. Even the apologies he made on Oprah and personally to his former teammates leading up to his confession didn't seem genuine. Just seemed like they were somehow to benefit him. But to the degree he took everything, there is literally NOTHING he can do to redeem himself to those who mattered.
Yup. Between the lance stories and victor conte's appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast, I've become very cynical when it comes to believing athlete's excuses for PEDs.

Post a reply to: Recommend documentaries

The Latest