Patriotic or selfish?

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2014 3:35am
The nurse in Maine who is fighting being quarantined in Maine says she's doing it as a civil rights issue. At what point, though, does a medical professional need to put the potential public good above their own short-term wishes?

To me, I'd like to think that a medical care provider such as this would set the standard for caution rather than encouraging people to push the envelope and potentially create outbreaks of this horrific disease.
|
motoracer633
10/30/2014 7:59am
I wonder if they are privy to the kind of hysteria that is going on back home when they return. These people have just lived with ebola patients for how ever long they were gone, I'm assuming they are pretty sure of themselves. It seems like they def. trust the science.
Cygnus
10/30/2014 9:24am
Selfish bitch. But that's where the world has gone. It's all about me. I almost hope she gets the damn disease.
TDeath21
10/30/2014 9:28am
Extremely selfish. I would want to be isolated if I were her.
huck
10/30/2014 9:39am
I'm so tired of hearing about this bullshit.... The SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

The Shop

PalerBlue
10/30/2014 9:47am
TDeath21 wrote:
Yep, because isolation really always helps.

A friend of my wife had her husband put into isolation in Macedonia because he had a temperature and was bleeding from his mouth (and someone thought he had been to Africa recently - he hadn't ) they locked him away in a room for three days with zero medical help. He died of a perforated ulcer and his existing asthma condition. She got hounded for days by the press until they found out what really happened - which they never bothered to publish.

So yeah,the sky's falling.
APLMAN99
10/30/2014 10:06am
TDeath21 wrote:
PalerBlue wrote:
Yep, because isolation really always helps. A friend of my wife had her husband put into isolation in Macedonia because he had a temperature and was...
Yep, because isolation really always helps.

A friend of my wife had her husband put into isolation in Macedonia because he had a temperature and was bleeding from his mouth (and someone thought he had been to Africa recently - he hadn't ) they locked him away in a room for three days with zero medical help. He died of a perforated ulcer and his existing asthma condition. She got hounded for days by the press until they found out what really happened - which they never bothered to publish.

So yeah,the sky's falling.
While that certainly sounds like a tragic story, it really has little to do with this situation.
APLMAN99
10/30/2014 10:26am
I'm a bit torn on this. I agree that science should be the ultimate tool to use to decide whether quarantine is called for but don't exactly understand this nurse's reasoning on when to administer quarantine. If you wait until she were to show symptoms before she agrees to quarantine, the odds of having contact and creating possible transfer go up exponentially as some of the symptoms may be present to a small degree before they are "felt". Monitoring your temps every couple of hours is good, but at exactly what temp does it indicate that the disease is now contagious? Chances are good that it's different for every person, and by the time it's obvious the patient would have been contagious for at least several hours.

Difficult subject but my base thought is that a health care worker would want to err on the side of public health. It makes me wonder what advice and counsel she has been giving people in heavily infected areas on how to prevent possible exposures.....
bsm121
10/30/2014 8:31pm
If she's not willing to err on the side of public health, then yes, someone should make her.
PalerBlue
10/31/2014 12:41am
You do know that this nurse has already been tested and proved negative for Ebola? Don't you think with her experience she can be trusted more than the public official (up for election very soon) who's spouting off on this?

And I don't get the title of this thread at all. How does someone who was working for a French charity, risking their own life, helping others, get to be called either "Patriotic" or "Selfish"?
SEEMEFIRST
10/31/2014 1:05am
PalerBlue wrote:
You do know that this nurse has already been [u]tested and proved negative[/u] for Ebola? Don't you think with her experience she can be trusted more...
You do know that this nurse has already been tested and proved negative for Ebola? Don't you think with her experience she can be trusted more than the public official (up for election very soon) who's spouting off on this?

And I don't get the title of this thread at all. How does someone who was working for a French charity, risking their own life, helping others, get to be called either "Patriotic" or "Selfish"?
We used to trust them, testing, self diagnosis and all, right up until the good Dr. lied about where he'd been and went out on the town. He rode some of the busiest subways, went out to eat, and stopped in for some bowling all while running a fever.

If we could guarantee they would be truthful to us and themselves it would be different. Unfortunately we can't, so finish the job you started, and spend the last 21 days of it proving you are not sick.
jeffro503
10/31/2014 7:24am
Can't we just shoot her and get it over with?
IWreckALot
10/31/2014 7:46am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
We used to trust them, testing, self diagnosis and all, right up until the good Dr. lied about where he'd been and went out on the...
We used to trust them, testing, self diagnosis and all, right up until the good Dr. lied about where he'd been and went out on the town. He rode some of the busiest subways, went out to eat, and stopped in for some bowling all while running a fever.

If we could guarantee they would be truthful to us and themselves it would be different. Unfortunately we can't, so finish the job you started, and spend the last 21 days of it proving you are not sick.
I agree with this. Medical professionals (doctors and nurses) take the Hippocratic Oath. I believe this falls in line with some of that. I don't think science knows enough about how the disease acts from person to person yet. It sounds like she just wants to go out and ride bicycle and do stuff outdoors. What harm can come from serving 21 more days at home? And what harm could potentially come if she's out and develops symptoms while in a crowd? I think New Jersey just wants to err on the side of caution.
APLMAN99
10/31/2014 9:31am
PalerBlue wrote:
You do know that this nurse has already been [u]tested and proved negative[/u] for Ebola? Don't you think with her experience she can be trusted more...

The title of the thread refers to her stance on this being a civil rights issue. As a general rule, many see standing up to the government on basic rights to be patriotic. Just look at what percentage of cars (actually trucks....) that have an NRA sticker also have an American flag sticker also.....

From my understanding, which is obviously VERY limited, you don't test positive immediately after exposure or inoculation of the virus. There would be an "incubation" period, which is a big part of the reason for the requested quarantine period. For most people, the ability to detect the disease is probably much sooner than 21 days, but 21 days is considered the outside window that people have been exposed and then later began developing symptoms that were later determined to be brought on by Ebola.

With as potentially catastrophic as Ebola could be in such a highly mobile country like ours, it seems reasonable to use the most stringent protocols to keep it from spreading. Some of the things that keep Ebola outbreaks relatively small in Africa don't apply here. Our level and speed of coast to coast travel has the ability to spread the virus much, much faster than the incubation/contagious/testing situation does in Africa.
newmann
10/31/2014 11:59am
My youngest son has been on the ground in Liberia for the past three weeks. What was scheduled to be a 30-60 day gig is looking to be 90. Once he gets back to the airbase in Spain, he will be in quarantine for 21 days. Not exactly what the military quarantine consists of though.

I think if the good doctor (or arrogant bitch?) is willing to spend time in that shithole caring for the people of Africa, that she should at least be willing to do a little time alone here out of respect for all of us at home in the US.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/31/2014 10:51pm
She tested negative for the virus. Quarantining her for Ebola is worthless and a gross overreach of government.
motoracer633
11/1/2014 3:35am
Just possibly those who actually know something about it and are trained to deal with it might know a little more than those who want to make you fear it. Anyone notice that the reporters didn't hesitate to get close?

Post a reply to: Patriotic or selfish?

The Latest