Painting the bathroom

Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 3:40pm
Getting ready to repaint my bathroom, any recommendations on a solid moisture resistant paint?
|
3/6/2016 9:53pm
Lol. Not what I expected the thread to be about.

I just did my mine with sherwin Williams satin super paint. It's paint and primer in one. Little pricey but you might get an employee discount....check. I take it you don't have much ventilation or a fan for moisture ?

This is my living room. I did bathroom same though....went on real nice. Two coats dried well. Fiance likes it.

3/6/2016 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2016 9:57pm

It's their mid level paint. Emerald is there premier but it's $60 a gallon. I think super around 48....my bathroom took 3/4 of a gallon. And that was 2 heavy coats.
JB 19
3/7/2016 1:35am
I have had good luck with valspar 2000 series paint. 24$ a gallon.
MR. X
3/7/2016 3:03am
I'm actually looking at the bathroom walls while reading this . We used Valspar almost 4 years ago when we moved in ,we don't have a vent fan yet and the paint looks the same as day 1 .

The Shop

3/7/2016 3:45am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2016 3:48am
Get the good valspar. Seemed like my in laws put 5 coats on their living room.

I believe that color is slate blue. Or grey slate...one of those names. I'm driving home from Florida today and work tomorrow so I'll give ya the actual 3 number spec when I get home to look at the can. The picture doesn't do it justice it looks awesome in person. Here's a before after reference of my laundry room from January when I started the remodel.

JB 19
3/7/2016 4:09am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2016 4:57am
I've probably painted 5 houses with Valspar 2000. Sometimes you can even tint Kilz primer (they will do this at Lowes) the color you are painting and then paint one coat. It's good paint. I've used the expensive Valspar, but I don't think I gained much over the 2000 series.

Buy cheap paint and you're getting colored water. Buy expensive and I'd be curious what you are gaining over mid grade paint. Exterior is different. It's going to take a lot of abuse.
IWreckALot
3/7/2016 4:39am
I painted my bathroom with an oil based paint. It takes longer to dry, but it's not a water base so the humidity in the bathroom won't penetrate it. I let mine dry for a week before I used it.

I have a neighbor that works for PPG. He built me an account and set me up with the same pricing as his $1M account. The same $50 per gallon bucket is $15 for me. I get 5 gallon buckets for $75. Same bucket that would run $200 retail. My family and friends have just about all used my discount so it looks like I buy a lot of paint.
Sandberm
3/7/2016 6:07am
Everybody is going with the darker colors now on at least one wall in a room if not all four walls. It looks really cool...but it makes it hard to see anything...reading a book becomes difficult, any hobbies that are delicate and hard to see become impossible. I even think that its a tad bit depressing because of the darkness.

I know its not whats in fashion right now but my old eyes and sometimes melancholy nature like white walls.
MR. X
3/7/2016 6:24am
I switched to Sherwin Williams because the valspar high definition shit would peel off the walls if something was left touching it like say the bottom of a picture frame . What ever you do ,do not skimp on roller covers ,I think the ones you want are called continues weave . Otherwise you get little hairs in your paint which look like shit when it dries.
newmann
3/7/2016 6:47am
I used to buy crap tons of the inexpensive paint from Lowes for rental property interiors. Think it was Olympic, good stuff and covered fast. Now they changed and the cheap stuff is pure shit. Took three coats of white in a closet. Can't go wrong with Sherwin Williams and if it is your own personal house it really is just chump change to step up to a good product that you will be looking at for a long time.
motogeezer
3/7/2016 9:34am
If you're going to use Sherwin Williams, don't buy the high-end, fancy named stuff.

Use the Promar 200.

It's 100% acrylic and mildew resistant.

First check to make sure the existing paint isn't oil based by sanding a spot.

If it powders up, it's oil; if it rolls up, it's water based.

If it's oil based, you'll need to sand it and put a coat of bonding primer on it before you paint. S.W. "Extreme Bond" will do it.

If it's not oil based, just clean it and paint right over it.

If it's currently oil based and you don't mind using oil based paint (if it's even available in your area), sand it, wipe it down, and paint right over it with more oil based paint.

Of course, you'll be high as a kite when you're done, unless you purchase a respirator.
motogeezer
3/7/2016 9:52am
MR. X wrote:
I switched to Sherwin Williams because the valspar high definition shit would peel off the walls if something was left touching it like say the bottom...
I switched to Sherwin Williams because the valspar high definition shit would peel off the walls if something was left touching it like say the bottom of a picture frame . What ever you do ,do not skimp on roller covers ,I think the ones you want are called continues weave . Otherwise you get little hairs in your paint which look like shit when it dries.
"What ever you do ,do not skimp on roller covers ,I think the ones you want are called continues weave . Otherwise you get little hairs in your paint which look like shit when it dries."

Indeed.

Purdy "White Dove" rollers are best, but you should still wrap it in masking tape and pull it slowly off, to remove any loose nap that might have been left on it from the factory.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to use oil based paint.
SEE ARE125
3/7/2016 12:47pm
Took me a minute to find the door. What kind of toilet is that? Looks fancy with all those buttons.

I've had bad luck with Valspar, Behr seems to do a lot better. I'd suggest springing for the $4 Glade paint scent and have them mix it in. They claim it lasts a long time, but it only lasted a week or so in my experience. It does however mask that paint smell while you're working, which makes it worth the $4, IMO.
Old-Man
3/7/2016 1:03pm
I went with Tile, more expensive of course but for aesthetics, long lasting and repels water nicely
Ironic this thread came up, i'm just finishing it. Have to do some trim work yet and touch up some areas but for the most part it's finished.
Good Luck with your project, take your time deciding because it's more involved than you think

Jimmy_Sloan
3/7/2016 7:27pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2016 7:37pm
JB 19 wrote:
I've probably painted 5 houses with Valspar 2000. Sometimes you can even tint Kilz primer (they will do this at Lowes) the color you are painting...
I've probably painted 5 houses with Valspar 2000. Sometimes you can even tint Kilz primer (they will do this at Lowes) the color you are painting and then paint one coat. It's good paint. I've used the expensive Valspar, but I don't think I gained much over the 2000 series.

Buy cheap paint and you're getting colored water. Buy expensive and I'd be curious what you are gaining over mid grade paint. Exterior is different. It's going to take a lot of abuse.
You gain a lot with higher end paints. They have thicker mills and therefore hold up longer against not only wear and tear, but they hold their color for longer. Mid-grades are fine for rentals or getting a house ready for sale, but for homeowners I recommend higher end paints.
Jimmy_Sloan
3/7/2016 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2016 7:32pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Getting ready to repaint my bathroom, any recommendations on a solid moisture resistant paint?
I use Benjamin Moore on interiors (Aura or Regal Select for walls, and Advance for trim). They are far superior to Sherwin Williams products in my opinion. And despite what some may say, the higher end paints are better since they have thicker mills and will hold up to wear and tear, moisture, and color retention much better than low to mid grade paints.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/product-catalog?&s_pu=…
Rooster
3/7/2016 9:13pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Took me a minute to find the door. What kind of toilet is that? Looks fancy with all those buttons. I've had bad luck with Valspar...
Took me a minute to find the door. What kind of toilet is that? Looks fancy with all those buttons.

I've had bad luck with Valspar, Behr seems to do a lot better. I'd suggest springing for the $4 Glade paint scent and have them mix it in. They claim it lasts a long time, but it only lasted a week or so in my experience. It does however mask that paint smell while you're working, which makes it worth the $4, IMO.
Must be Japan. They lead the world in shitter technology.
motogeezer
3/8/2016 8:42am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
I use Benjamin Moore on interiors (Aura or Regal Select for walls, and Advance for trim). They are far superior to Sherwin Williams products in my...
I use Benjamin Moore on interiors (Aura or Regal Select for walls, and Advance for trim). They are far superior to Sherwin Williams products in my opinion. And despite what some may say, the higher end paints are better since they have thicker mills and will hold up to wear and tear, moisture, and color retention much better than low to mid grade paints.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/product-catalog?&s_pu=…
All manufacturers high end paints are just as good as everyone else's, but somehow, Benjamin Moore has been able to convince a lot of people that their paint is superior and therefor worth more money.

At every price point, the paints are so comparable, that it would be silly to insist on one brand over another.

I've had this argument with many architects over the years, and the only reason I can see for them insisting on a certain brand, is because somebody's sales department is giving them a kickback.

Also, the BM Aura is very good and durable paint, but it doesn't touch-up for shit.

If you repair a ding, or try to touch up a holiday after it's dry, you're going to have to repaint the entire wall.

Just sayin'.
3/9/2016 8:53am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 9:00am

I paid $19 a gallon for this stuff after my employee discount. I wanna say retail was 52....
3/9/2016 8:57am
Sandberm wrote:
Everybody is going with the darker colors now on at least one wall in a room if not all four walls. It looks really cool...but it...
Everybody is going with the darker colors now on at least one wall in a room if not all four walls. It looks really cool...but it makes it hard to see anything...reading a book becomes difficult, any hobbies that are delicate and hard to see become impossible. I even think that its a tad bit depressing because of the darkness.

I know its not whats in fashion right now but my old eyes and sometimes melancholy nature like white walls.
With LED bulbs brightness is cheap and easy to purchase now a days.
motogeezer
3/9/2016 11:42am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/09/127158/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I paid $19 a gallon for this stuff after my employee discount. I wanna say retail was 52....

I paid $19 a gallon for this stuff after my employee discount. I wanna say retail was 52....
Screamin' deal!

I've got a big project going right now using "Harmony", which is about the same price point retail ($52 and change), and I'm paying $25 for the deep base.

Post up a copy of the receipt, so I can show my Sherwin Williams rep. Angry
Jimmy_Sloan
3/9/2016 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 12:23pm
motogeezer wrote:
All manufacturers high end paints are just as good as everyone else's, but somehow, Benjamin Moore has been able to convince a lot of people that...
All manufacturers high end paints are just as good as everyone else's, but somehow, Benjamin Moore has been able to convince a lot of people that their paint is superior and therefor worth more money.

At every price point, the paints are so comparable, that it would be silly to insist on one brand over another.

I've had this argument with many architects over the years, and the only reason I can see for them insisting on a certain brand, is because somebody's sales department is giving them a kickback.

Also, the BM Aura is very good and durable paint, but it doesn't touch-up for shit.

If you repair a ding, or try to touch up a holiday after it's dry, you're going to have to repaint the entire wall.

Just sayin'.
I've been painting for 20+ years (Sounds like you've been paint a long time as well) and have done a lot of high end paint jobs so I know exactly what I like and don't like. For example, when I spray trim packages, I do not like Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, it is simply not as good as Benjamin Moore Advance, and none of them were as good as Columbia's discontinued Acry-Shield (which Sherwin bought out and then discontinued to push their own products, btw). Some of it comes down to personal preferences (just like some guys prefer a Greco airless over a Titan -- I use Titan's but we also have an Airlessco), but I've seen what paints work, what paints hold up, etc. On exterior's, Kelly Moore's 1245 line holds its color really well, for years and years, much better than most paints I've seen. I've used a lot of the Sherwin line both interior and exterior, while their mid and higher ends are not bad paints, they are not comparable to Benjamin Moore, or even Kelley Moore in my opinion. But every guy likes his own thing so I don't have any arguments with that.

Usually when I touch up, I mix the paint down a bit and have no problems with matching.
motogeezer
3/9/2016 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2016 3:32pm
I've been painting for 20+ years (Sounds like you've been paint a long time as well) and have done a lot of high end paint jobs...
I've been painting for 20+ years (Sounds like you've been paint a long time as well) and have done a lot of high end paint jobs so I know exactly what I like and don't like. For example, when I spray trim packages, I do not like Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, it is simply not as good as Benjamin Moore Advance, and none of them were as good as Columbia's discontinued Acry-Shield (which Sherwin bought out and then discontinued to push their own products, btw). Some of it comes down to personal preferences (just like some guys prefer a Greco airless over a Titan -- I use Titan's but we also have an Airlessco), but I've seen what paints work, what paints hold up, etc. On exterior's, Kelly Moore's 1245 line holds its color really well, for years and years, much better than most paints I've seen. I've used a lot of the Sherwin line both interior and exterior, while their mid and higher ends are not bad paints, they are not comparable to Benjamin Moore, or even Kelley Moore in my opinion. But every guy likes his own thing so I don't have any arguments with that.

Usually when I touch up, I mix the paint down a bit and have no problems with matching.
My brother and I have been in the biz for about thirty years.

Started out doing high-end custom work, but have settled in to commercial / industrial for the past fifteen or twenty.

We got tired of dealing with home owners and designers. Not that dealing with shitty architects and general contractors is much better...

We still do custom homes by referral, but we don't go looking for them.

My comment on the BM paints, the Aura in particular, comes from a grocery chain that insisted on using it, simply because they wanted a zero VOC paint.

This was when the Aura line first came out, maybe it's gotten better.

The problem wasn't with matching color, it was that it built up sheen. Friggin' shiny spots everywhere!

Anyway, we got them to switch to zero VOC paint from a regional supplier (Vista Paint) and our touch-up issues were over.

Funny thing: Vista Paint is now partnered with Benjamin Moore as their West Coast retailer.

Like you said, when you find what works best for you, you stick to it.

As far as spray rigs, we went from Graco to Titan / Speeflo, and back to Graco.

We even use Graco pressure washers.

Post a reply to: Painting the bathroom

The Latest