Painting over chrome

Parris
Edited Date/Time 5/27/2016 5:59pm
I have a 1976 camaro. She has some 30 yr. old chrome wheels. I want to paint them gloss black. I do not have any painting equipment so I will be limited to spray can products. I google around and seen a two part epoxy spray primer. Any help will be appreciated
|
motogeezer
5/27/2016 7:47am
I'd be interested to know how they put a catalyzed product in a spray can. Unsure

Doesn't seem possible.

Make sure the rims are super clean, then rub them down with #0000 steel wool until the shine is gone, and clean them again before you prime them.

If it truly is a catalyzed primer (I still don't believe it), check the can for when you can put on the top coat, because there's a window of time that if you wait too long, you'll have to sand and prime them again.
PalerBlue
5/27/2016 7:48am
Why not PAY someone to do the thing PROPERLY? Seems like too nice a car to bodge jobs on.
newmann
5/27/2016 8:53am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2016 8:54am
Painting over chrome usually results in less than desirable durability. Try lightly sandblasting to etch the surface before final cleaning and priming.

Some catalyzed products in an aerosol can contain a internal bladder of activator that gets ruptured before use. Others may be charged with nitrogen(?) to prevent the product from hardening in the can.

Check out SEM, the Eastwood Company and Por 15 for some of the products you desire.
motogeezer
5/27/2016 9:35am
newmann wrote:
Painting over chrome usually results in less than desirable durability. Try lightly sandblasting to etch the surface before final cleaning and priming. Some catalyzed products in...
Painting over chrome usually results in less than desirable durability. Try lightly sandblasting to etch the surface before final cleaning and priming.

Some catalyzed products in an aerosol can contain a internal bladder of activator that gets ruptured before use. Others may be charged with nitrogen(?) to prevent the product from hardening in the can.

Check out SEM, the Eastwood Company and Por 15 for some of the products you desire.
Cool!

I've never heard of such a thing.

http://www.eastwood.com/2k-areospray-epoxy-primer-black.html

It's got two chambers in the can and mixes on it's way to the nozzle.

Brilliant!

I might buy a can, just to cut it open and look inside.

The Shop

crowe176
5/27/2016 10:08am
I tried spraying bedliner on my chrome bumpers on my truck, as the spray on bedliner is usually pretty durable imo. Didn't last one winter before it started flaking. I've read that, and take this for what it's worth, plasti dip actually stays on chrome much better than paint. I'm not a fan of plasti-dip, but i've used it a few times, and if done right, it can look really well, and if you change your mind down the road, "take" off...
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/27/2016 10:22am
Nothing is going to stick to chrome well, however plasti dip sticks pretty good. And if you wanna go back to chrome, just peel it off.

Having said that, I wish I didn't plasti dip the wheels on my car.
MR. X
5/27/2016 10:45am
Was also gonna say plasti-dip
SEEMEFIRST
5/27/2016 5:59pm
You can have the chrome chemically/electrically removed pretty cheaply.

Post a reply to: Painting over chrome

The Latest