Paging bicyclists

SEE ARE125
9/29/2014 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 6:14am
My step son got some money for his birthday and decided he wanted a bigger bike. So we went to Toys R Us and picked one up, but once getting it home, I realized the shifting isn't right. 1st and 2nd gear aren't usable, because when selecting first gear, it's really in 3rd gear, 2nd gear is on the 4th sprocket, 3rd=5th, etc. and when you get to 6th gear the chain derails. Basically, the chain guide is off by 2 settings. Is there a way to adjust this? Do I need to tighten or loosen the shift cable? It's a Shimano shift mechanism, if that helps. I've never had a bike that was out of adjustment like that, so this is a new one for me.
|
9/29/2014 6:52pm
There should be two Phillips head screws on the dérailleur, those will need adjusted, search for a video on YouTube for more precise details.
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
9/29/2014 7:34pm
Beef is right, there are limit adjuster screws on the derailleur, but before you start messing with it yourself, I'd truck that thing right back to TRU and get the pimply faced kid who put it together to take it back to the cramped workspace he uses and either fix it or give you a different one.

You can show them what's wrong by holding the back wheel off the ground and shifting through the gears while you crank the pedals.

One thought though- how many chainrings does it have on the crank? If it's three, it's possible that the lower end shifters don't have the range necessary to use the smaller gears if the chain's on the big ring. Either way, though, it shoud not permit the chain to come off the freewheel cogset.

H
SEE ARE125
9/29/2014 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2014 7:58pm
Thanks guys, it has 1 sprocket on the front, 7 on the back. Thanks for the tip about the 2 Phillips screws, I just went and looked and it has them. I'll try to look it up on youtube. What should I search for? Shimano derailleur adjustment? Kinda pissed and want to take it back, but TRU is about 40 min away, and I figured it may be an easy fix. If I can't get it figured out, it's definitely going back.
PalerBlue
9/30/2014 1:23am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Thanks guys, it has 1 sprocket on the front, 7 on the back. Thanks for the tip about the 2 Phillips screws, I just went and...
Thanks guys, it has 1 sprocket on the front, 7 on the back. Thanks for the tip about the 2 Phillips screws, I just went and looked and it has them. I'll try to look it up on youtube. What should I search for? Shimano derailleur adjustment? Kinda pissed and want to take it back, but TRU is about 40 min away, and I figured it may be an easy fix. If I can't get it figured out, it's definitely going back.
Save your gas. Learning a bit of basic maintenance is always a good idea anyway. That fix is really simple - once you know how. Wink

The Shop

SEE ARE125
9/30/2014 2:00am
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm pretty good with my dirtbike except for internal engine work, and I knew there had to be an adjustment, just wasn't sure if it was a cable issue or something else(like the Phillips screws). I'll play around with it and see if I can get it figured out.
IWreckALot
9/30/2014 4:55am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 4:58am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
There should be two Phillips head screws on the dérailleur, those will need adjusted, search for a video on YouTube for more precise details.
Those fucking screws piss me off every time. I always end up having to toy around with them for an hour before I figure out what I'm doing.

Hey See Are, go get yourself a mountain bike and join the club. It's a good fix for when you don't feel like blowing $50-75 riding in a weekend.
SEE ARE125
9/30/2014 5:25am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Those fucking screws piss me off every time. I always end up having to toy around with them for an hour before I figure out what...
Those fucking screws piss me off every time. I always end up having to toy around with them for an hour before I figure out what I'm doing.

Hey See Are, go get yourself a mountain bike and join the club. It's a good fix for when you don't feel like blowing $50-75 riding in a weekend.
I've been kicking around the idea and casually researching bikes. Don't wanna drop several grand on a new bike, but don't want to get a WalMart POS either. Just looking for a decent entry level type deal.
IWreckALot
9/30/2014 6:14am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea and casually researching bikes. Don't wanna drop several grand on a new bike, but don't want to get a WalMart...
I've been kicking around the idea and casually researching bikes. Don't wanna drop several grand on a new bike, but don't want to get a WalMart POS either. Just looking for a decent entry level type deal.
Not sure what your budget is but you can get a decent entry level hard tail 29er for about $800. I'd look at Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant. I've got the Cannondale Trail SL3 29er ($1,200) and I think it matches my skillset pretty nicely. The $1,200 price point is where I'd target if you want something to last you longer than a year or two. If you're any taller than 5'11" I'd consider a 29er. You'll get all kinds of advice on whether the 29er is right for you but if you plan on riding on the road or a paved trail very often with your son, the 29er rolls a LOT easier than a 26. Most people that ride them like them better off road also.

Just some info. There have been several MTB threads lately on here. There is one in MOTO floating around also.

Post a reply to: Paging bicyclists

The Latest