New grill. Need advice

borg
6/20/2015 8:05am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 8:01am
I'm going to buy a new gas grill and I have been looking at infrared. Anybody have any experience with these grills?
If I stick with a regular grill, which brands do you like/dislike?

Thanks for helping.
|
6/20/2015 9:05am
I've heard some good things about the infrared, borg, but I have no experience with them. I do grill a lot on gas, but I bought a dual grill with one side being charcoal. I like it, and can switch things up now and then. These days though, I spend more time smoking meat than grilling it. Get an electric smoker - you won't be sorry.

Sorry, guess I'm not much help.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
6/20/2015 9:17am
get the jumbo joe!
Cygnus
6/20/2015 10:16am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2015 10:17am
Gas grilling is blasphemy. But if you must, look at Ducane or Weber. I still have my old weber kettle charcoal grill. There just isn't a better way to BBQ as far as I'm concerned. I can smoke with it or grill with it or do a combo smoke/grill.
Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
6/20/2015 10:19am
I love the my infrared grill. Cuts time in half! Didn't realize how much faster it was until I was at my parents a few weeks back cooking on my dads grill.

The Shop

J.F.S
6/20/2015 10:27am
Weber, NFM
TX24
6/20/2015 10:28am
We have the basic Weber gas grill and like it. It cleans up nice. It's nice getting a spare tank. It's probably two years old and the auto light hasn't failed yet.
newmann
6/20/2015 11:04am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2015 11:04am
I recently had the big Weber Q on the roll around stand. Loved it until I left it on to burn the grates clean. Damn thing overheated and melted the plastic stand. Went to go wire brush it and turn it off and the thing was sitting down on top of the propane tank. Obviously a Weber gas grill isn't supposed to get hot....lesson learned. It went in the dumpster at work.

Jenn Aire's from Lowes are good for a couple years at best. One got replaced under warranty at under a year when the cast iron burner holes rusted shut and it burnt up the front control panel. The replacement had brass burners and lasted until I got tired of replacing the cheap stainless burner plates and the grills fell apart. Not worth the money.

Someone mentioned Ducane.....I got 14-15 years out of mine. Replaced a few parts along the way but nothing major. Excellent product.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
6/20/2015 12:56pm
Weber Genesis E-330

Mine is on year 3 and still looks and works as it did brand new. Hope to use for another 15 years.

It replaced a previous Weber that was 18 years old that we gave to a young couple. They still use it.
MR. X
6/20/2015 1:41pm
I have a 5 burner SS grill from lowes or depot ,cant remember which one. It has a infrared searing burning on the side . The searing burner is amazing for cooking a steak, depending on how thick the steak is ,it could take 60 seconds per side or 3 minutes per side .
Sully
6/20/2015 6:34pm
Cygnus wrote:
Gas grilling is blasphemy. But if you must, look at Ducane or Weber. I still have my old weber kettle charcoal grill. There just isn't a...
Gas grilling is blasphemy. But if you must, look at Ducane or Weber. I still have my old weber kettle charcoal grill. There just isn't a better way to BBQ as far as I'm concerned. I can smoke with it or grill with it or do a combo smoke/grill.
I've had my Weber charcoal kettle grill for just about 10 years, and I absolutely love it. I leave it in my yard full time, and the damn thing has been through countless typhoons, baking Japanese summers and even a handful of snowstorms, all without a single complaint.
hillbilly
6/20/2015 8:56pm
meco is here,made here in my local. i use their electric now for meat,

for taters i use gas or fire.

wrap diced taters,carrots,onion,with bunch butter in foil bag,gotta be folded good to keep in steam. i use 3 layers flipping so often. also can pat out a burger and put in it lay on hot embers beside fire while pouring fire in belly.

good times
MR. X
6/20/2015 9:33pm
Charcoal grills are nice but sometimes after a long day ,the last thing you want to do is wait for charcoal to heat up to cook on.
Cygnus
6/21/2015 12:59am
hillbilly wrote:
meco is here,made here in my local. i use their electric now for meat, for taters i use gas or fire. wrap diced taters,carrots,onion,with bunch butter...

wrap diced taters,carrots,onion,with bunch butter in foil bag,gotta be folded good to keep in steam. i use 3 layers flipping so often. also can pat out a burger and put in it lay on hot embers beside fire while pouring fire in belly.

good times
Hobo dinners. I make those up for camping. Who ever invented them deserves a medal.
reded
6/21/2015 5:55am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 5:59am
Everybody raves about charcoal but I've always found it a pain in the ass. I tried that bullshit for the last time at a Royals game a couple weeks ago. Borrowed a grill and bought a bag of charcoal that seemed convenient with the words "Just Light The Bag" emblazoned all over it. Seems simple enough, right? WRONG!! Got to the game, had a couple beers and about an hour before game time I chucked the bag in the grill and for the next hour attempted to light it. THAT MOTHERFUCKER WOULD NOT CATCH ON FIRE! I burned through an entire Aim N Flame lighter during this battle and am confident that nothing short of a can of gas and a blowtorch would have gotten it lit. I finally kicked the whole fuckin works over in the grass, threw that piece of shit grill in the back of the truck, grabbed a beer for the walk to the stadium and bought an $8 lukewarm dog inside.

That was my last try, piss on charcoal. I'll stick with my Weber gasser.
MR. X
6/21/2015 6:16am
reded wrote:
Everybody raves about charcoal but I've always found it a pain in the ass. I tried that bullshit for the last time at a Royals game...
Everybody raves about charcoal but I've always found it a pain in the ass. I tried that bullshit for the last time at a Royals game a couple weeks ago. Borrowed a grill and bought a bag of charcoal that seemed convenient with the words "Just Light The Bag" emblazoned all over it. Seems simple enough, right? WRONG!! Got to the game, had a couple beers and about an hour before game time I chucked the bag in the grill and for the next hour attempted to light it. THAT MOTHERFUCKER WOULD NOT CATCH ON FIRE! I burned through an entire Aim N Flame lighter during this battle and am confident that nothing short of a can of gas and a blowtorch would have gotten it lit. I finally kicked the whole fuckin works over in the grass, threw that piece of shit grill in the back of the truck, grabbed a beer for the walk to the stadium and bought an $8 lukewarm dog inside.

That was my last try, piss on charcoal. I'll stick with my Weber gasser.
I think the part where you pissed on the charcoal was your lighting problem. But seriously it can be a pain in the ass ,especially if you just want to cook and eat without dicking around.
ns503
6/21/2015 6:21am
I love my Broil King 5 burner. Has 4 years on it & still looks great. But like others have said, there are a few good brands out there.

Whatever brand you get, make sure to get something with lots of room under the hood. Mine does. Sure charcoal is 'it', but I can do almost anything with mine with a lot less hassle & no messing around with bags of fuel or the ashes. If there's room under the grids for a smoker box & a pan/try, and lots of headroom above them and a generous second (warming) rack - you've also got a tool you can use when you have a whole day to do it. Even smoke a turkey. I did some kick ass smoked ribs a couple of weekends ago when I found myself with a day like that. You can do a very simple mod/add-on that will keep the smoke in & improve that aspect if you want to try smoking. (Who of us doesn't like to mod things up?).

This one & the one before it have a rotisserie burner, but my next won't. It's a waste for us, I think we've used it once in all those years. Side burner comes in very handy some times though.
MR. X
6/21/2015 6:29am
Another thing that helps a lot is having a big work area on the side , the grill i bought has a fold out work area that i use every time i grill.
borg
6/21/2015 7:47am
I cant deal with charcoal either. During the summer, I will use the grill 3 or 4 times a week. I want to be able to walk out and toss a steak or a burger on and eat. Charcoal does impart a slightly different flavor but it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Just different. If I want a smoke flavor I'll toss some mesquite chips in some foil or a smoker box.

I'll be on my way to pick up a grill in a little while. Kids are bringing steaks over this afternoon. I don't think I'm going to do the infrared thing.
6/21/2015 7:52am
I have a four burner CharBroil True Infrared with the additional side burnern that I purchased two years ago, cooks great for a gas grill, really fast cook times. Have never used the side burner.

The downside is cleaning the grates, they can be a real pain in the ass even if you do everything you are supposed to do.

Thermometers were wacky after only a short time but that doesn't really make any difference to me. A couple of the burners haven't been heating properly for a few months now so it's time to get in there and see what's up with that

Biggest complaint is cleaning thr grates.
hillbilly
6/21/2015 8:00am
I have a four burner CharBroil True Infrared with the additional side burnern that I purchased two years ago, cooks great for a gas grill, really...
I have a four burner CharBroil True Infrared with the additional side burnern that I purchased two years ago, cooks great for a gas grill, really fast cook times. Have never used the side burner.

The downside is cleaning the grates, they can be a real pain in the ass even if you do everything you are supposed to do.

Thermometers were wacky after only a short time but that doesn't really make any difference to me. A couple of the burners haven't been heating properly for a few months now so it's time to get in there and see what's up with that

i never clean my grill,the greasy it is the better,more flavor.
MR. X
6/21/2015 8:00am
Don't look at lights as a gimmick,mine has halogen lights mounted in the back wall and for the few time that you use them,they are a great option.
bsm121
6/21/2015 8:13am
hillbilly wrote:
meco is here,made here in my local. i use their electric now for meat, for taters i use gas or fire. wrap diced taters,carrots,onion,with bunch butter...

good times
Replace those carrots with bacon....mmmmmm

You won't live as long but it's really, really, really good.

Throw a little cheese on top after you take 'em off the grill.

6/21/2015 8:17am
I have a four burner CharBroil True Infrared with the additional side burnern that I purchased two years ago, cooks great for a gas grill, really...

hillbilly wrote:
Yeah, normally me either. This one has small holes in the bottom of valleys in the grate with raised areas that the food sets on. If those holes get clogged it doesn't work near as good.
Shiftfaced
6/21/2015 9:26am
I was given a Charbroil 5 Burner, with 2 of them being that TEC infrared system for searing.

I cannot keep the infrared burners lit. They will go for a minute or so, then I will hear a "pop", and then a much louder burning flame, kinda like a small jet.

I scoured the intarwebs, and they said it could be the regulator tripping. To reset that, turn off all gas gauges, close off the tank valve, open it very slowly, open a grill gas valve and light it up.

I have done this 20 times, and it is still the same result. I have no problems lighting, and keeping lot, the other portions of the grill, but the infrared ones will only stay lit for a minute or so, then the flame pops, and then I hear a small jet engine (until I close that infrared grill gauge, and then it is silent).

So, I changed out the tank regulator this morning.

Same conditions, no change.

I started pulling panels off this morning, and I see that when the jet engine sounds start, the flame has actuall jumped down to right where the gas is being sent into the individual burner unit.

Anybody know what is causing this.

I tried blowing compressed air into this induction area. As well as the infrared grating below the glass panel.

Tips are greatly appreciated!

newmann
6/21/2015 3:48pm
Shiftfaced wrote:
I was given a Charbroil 5 Burner, with 2 of them being that TEC infrared system for searing. I cannot keep the infrared burners lit. They...
I was given a Charbroil 5 Burner, with 2 of them being that TEC infrared system for searing.

I cannot keep the infrared burners lit. They will go for a minute or so, then I will hear a "pop", and then a much louder burning flame, kinda like a small jet.

I scoured the intarwebs, and they said it could be the regulator tripping. To reset that, turn off all gas gauges, close off the tank valve, open it very slowly, open a grill gas valve and light it up.

I have done this 20 times, and it is still the same result. I have no problems lighting, and keeping lot, the other portions of the grill, but the infrared ones will only stay lit for a minute or so, then the flame pops, and then I hear a small jet engine (until I close that infrared grill gauge, and then it is silent).

So, I changed out the tank regulator this morning.

Same conditions, no change.

I started pulling panels off this morning, and I see that when the jet engine sounds start, the flame has actuall jumped down to right where the gas is being sent into the individual burner unit.

Anybody know what is causing this.

I tried blowing compressed air into this induction area. As well as the infrared grating below the glass panel.

Tips are greatly appreciated!

Does it cut out on high or do you have the burner turned down to medium or low? The Jenn Aire I had would act similar and would only stay lit on high while warming up. Once it was nice and hot you could turn the heat down.
newmann
6/21/2015 3:53pm
hillbilly wrote:
I will clean the debris out of mine and wire brush it but I never "clean" it. That would be like sandblasting your favorite cast iron skillet.Woohoo
Ebs
6/21/2015 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 5:53pm
MR. X wrote:
Charcoal grills are nice but sometimes after a long day ,the last thing you want to do is wait for charcoal to heat up to cook...
Charcoal grills are nice but sometimes after a long day ,the last thing you want to do is wait for charcoal to heat up to cook on.
This.

If you're going all out and want to do up some ribs proper, the charcoal is nice. But for an after-work weekday grilling session when you just want to eat and get on with life, gimmie the gas.
captmoto
6/21/2015 6:03pm
Late to the dance here, What did you get?
I have one of these. A 4 burner in an island. I have left this thing on over night. It is 6-7 years old and I just replaced the burners, but they have a lifetime guarantee and luckily they are 3 freeway exits away. The grills are still straight with no corrosion or burn through. It has been bullet proof.
http://www.bullbbq.com/

Post a reply to: New grill. Need advice

The Latest