Need a good Turkey Brine Recipe

Old-Man
3/27/2015 1:50pm
I do a lot of Grilling but this could be used either way you cook it. I just copied and pasted from my Recipe Document but I think this is from BBQU.net..Good Luck!

1-1/4 cups salt
1 quart hot water
4 quarts cold water
1 cup maple syrup
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the side of a cleaver
10 peppercorns
5 bay leaves
4 strips lemon zest
2 cloves

For the basting:

4 to 6 tablespoons melted salted butter

1. The night before, unwrap the turkey, remove the giblets from the main and front cavity, and wash the bird inside and out.
2. Make the brine. Place the salt and 1 quart hot water in a large deep pot and whisk until salt crystals are dissolved. Whisk in the cold water and maple syrup and add the onion, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, lemon zest, and cloves. The mixture should be no warmer than room temperature: if it's hot or warm, let cool. Add the turkey. Place a large zip top bag filled with cold water on top to keep the bird submerged. Place the turkey in the refrigerator and let marinate overnight.

3. Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in center and toss the wood chips on the coals. If using a gas grill, place the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium. If using a smoker, light and set it up according to the manufacturers instructions and preheat to 275 degrees.

4. Place the turkey on the grate over the drip pan away from the fire. Brush with melted butter. Indirect grill until cooked, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. (Use an instant read thermometer to test for doneness-the turkey is ready when the thigh meat is 180 degrees.) If using a charcoal grill, replenish the coals and wood chips every hour. Baste the turkey with melted butter every hour. If the skin starts to brown too much, tent the bird with foil. On a kettle grill, you'll probably need to tent the sides closest to the piles of coals. If using a smoker, you'll need to cook the bird about 3-1/2 to 4 hours.

5. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the following gravy.
hvaughn88
3/28/2015 9:28am
newmann wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLIAMS-SONOMA-APPLE-SPICE-TURKEY-BRINE-BRININ…

Good stuff. Get a big ass Ziploc brining bag to put it in.
Newmann, I've never met you. I do, however, respect your vigor for firearms, two strokes, America, the military, and vintage moto (granted 90% of the time I don't understand the vintage references and have to google them haha). Due to these traits, I view you as the "Ron Swanson" of moto (definitely a compliment). As a result, I'm going to choose to overlook your reference to Williams Sonoma. Never happened.Tongue
Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
3/29/2015 7:17am
I have used Alton Brown's brine recipe for the last several years, and every year I get raves about the bird.

Youtube or Google, "Romancing the Bird" it should come up. Kind of a corny story, but if you like Alton, it will make sense.

The Shop

newmann
3/30/2015 4:13am
newmann wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
Newmann, I've never met you. I do, however, respect your vigor for firearms, two strokes, America, the military, and vintage moto (granted 90% of the time...
Newmann, I've never met you. I do, however, respect your vigor for firearms, two strokes, America, the military, and vintage moto (granted 90% of the time I don't understand the vintage references and have to google them haha). Due to these traits, I view you as the "Ron Swanson" of moto (definitely a compliment). As a result, I'm going to choose to overlook your reference to Williams Sonoma. Never happened.Tongue
Laughing No worries, and I'll even take that as a compliment. However, had you ever eaten my mother in laws dry ass Thanksgiving turkey you would view my suggestion in a different light.Shocked
IWreckALot
3/30/2015 4:33am
newmann wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
Newmann, I've never met you. I do, however, respect your vigor for firearms, two strokes, America, the military, and vintage moto (granted 90% of the time...
newmann wrote:
:laugh: No worries, and I'll even take that as a compliment. However, had you ever eaten my mother in laws dry ass Thanksgiving turkey you would...
Laughing No worries, and I'll even take that as a compliment. However, had you ever eaten my mother in laws dry ass Thanksgiving turkey you would view my suggestion in a different light.Shocked
Turkey turned out awesome. I used Old Man's recipe above and it was good.

My mom always insists on putting things in her big ass crock pot and cooks it till it's like turkey jerky. I was pretty insistent on smoking the turkey this year just to avoid that. I stayed up smoking it till 3:30 Saturday night/Sunday morning.
hvaughn88
3/30/2015 6:47pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Turkey turned out awesome. I used Old Man's recipe above and it was good. My mom always insists on putting things in her big ass crock...
Turkey turned out awesome. I used Old Man's recipe above and it was good.

My mom always insists on putting things in her big ass crock pot and cooks it till it's like turkey jerky. I was pretty insistent on smoking the turkey this year just to avoid that. I stayed up smoking it till 3:30 Saturday night/Sunday morning.
And you didn't make enough for all of us? Thanks asshole!Tongue

Post a reply to: Need a good Turkey Brine Recipe

The Latest