My fellow Texans doing ok after floods?

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 1:22pm
The lake that used to be 3600 feet from my house is now right up against my back yard, but thankfully my home is safe.

Everyone else doing fine?
|
IWreckALot
5/29/2015 8:08am
Here is the pic I posted in the other thread. Water at the end of our dock is 14' deep. Prior to this rain, the water was probably 40' past the end of the dock. This is Eagle Mountain Lake.
IWreckALot
5/29/2015 8:13am
That is our lake house. The water rising so fast has caused the snakes to come up out of the dry lake bed and we've seen several water moccasins and other water snakes up by the houses out there lately.

I live in West Fort Worth and we haven't had many/any water issues. We haven't had any flooding in the streets and for the most part, it runs off as fast as it hits. That storm last night was pretty serious though. It rained for what seemed like 6 hours straight.
peelout
5/29/2015 8:36am
IWreckALot wrote:
Here is the pic I posted in the other thread. Water at the end of our dock is 14' deep. Prior to this rain, the water...
Here is the pic I posted in the other thread. Water at the end of our dock is 14' deep. Prior to this rain, the water was probably 40' past the end of the dock. This is Eagle Mountain Lake.
holy shit man, hope it stays that way for you and doesn't get worse. that's a huge rise in water level

also fuck those snakes. i'm not ok with snakes at all
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/29/2015 9:21am

This is a photo of my normal riding spot. There is a trail on the other side of the fence, and this is normally when you cross the creek. Under normal conditions the creek is about 15 feet below the trail. Also, this was a week ago, the water has gone up another 3 feet since.

The Shop

4stroke4DWIN
5/29/2015 9:39am
This is a pic my buddy took of the trinity river outside north Houston And Lake Travis up near Austin.

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/29/2015 10:01am
Lake Travis really needed the water. It's been low for years.

brlatm
5/29/2015 10:12am
We live a little bit higher elevation than most around here, (just west of Weatherford) but the people down the Brazos in Horseshoe Bend are pretty much screwed. I went down to the bridge crossing at Sugar Tree the other evening and holy shit that water was cooking along.

Hope everyone stays on high ground through all this.
Atmos
5/29/2015 10:27am
Its wet. Really wet. But those of using common sense are doing just fine.
IWreckALot
5/29/2015 10:43am
peelout wrote:
holy shit man, hope it stays that way for you and doesn't get worse. that's a huge rise in water level also fuck those snakes. i'm...
holy shit man, hope it stays that way for you and doesn't get worse. that's a huge rise in water level

also fuck those snakes. i'm not ok with snakes at all
I grew up around the lake and I definitely respect snakes but I'm not too scared of them. The times you get real screwed is when you get on top of them before you see them.

I went kayaking around the lake while it was low a year or two ago and we found this cool area that had a rock overhang and you could get under it if you wanted. Well I got out to drain the lizard and as I went to get back into my kayak, there was a moccasin about 3' away from where I pissed. Coulda been pretty bad. I ended up tossing a boulder on it and squashed it.

I've had my fair share of incidences on mountain bike too.
IWreckALot
5/29/2015 10:45am
Speaking of mountain bike. Here is a local bike park. It's on Grapevine lake and it's called Horseshoe. The sign on the left in the trees is the entrance and the space between the trees is an asphault path/road for bikes. I have a feeling we won't be out there any time soon.

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/29/2015 11:41am
IWreckALot wrote:
Speaking of mountain bike. Here is a local bike park. It's on Grapevine lake and it's called Horseshoe. The sign on the left in the trees...
Speaking of mountain bike. Here is a local bike park. It's on Grapevine lake and it's called Horseshoe. The sign on the left in the trees is the entrance and the space between the trees is an asphault path/road for bikes. I have a feeling we won't be out there any time soon.

I've been there a few times. It's pretty crazy. It's gonna be a while before the trails are rideable again.

With all of the MTB trails closed, I started building another mtb trail on a hill near my house. I mapped it out on Google and it looks like it'll end up being about a 2 mile loop. Not too long but it'll have some really cool sections. It's all on a hill so it drains well and can be ridden just 1 day after a storm.

It's hard to tell from this picture but it'll have a few tricky climbs, some nice flowing descents, and a couple or rocky "expert" sections. I also made on downhill where the fast line is bunny hopping over a huge boulder. Should be fun. PM me if you want to come try it out.

peelout
5/29/2015 11:47am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 12:49pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I grew up around the lake and I definitely respect snakes but I'm not too scared of them. The times you get real screwed is when...
I grew up around the lake and I definitely respect snakes but I'm not too scared of them. The times you get real screwed is when you get on top of them before you see them.

I went kayaking around the lake while it was low a year or two ago and we found this cool area that had a rock overhang and you could get under it if you wanted. Well I got out to drain the lizard and as I went to get back into my kayak, there was a moccasin about 3' away from where I pissed. Coulda been pretty bad. I ended up tossing a boulder on it and squashed it.

I've had my fair share of incidences on mountain bike too.
i've already come across 6 rattlers this year on my mountain trails above my house, nothing too big but scares the shit out of you when you're hauling ass and they curl up just as you get to them... hate 'em. last year i ran over one that was bigger around than my arm, it was a big boy... i almost ate shit just from being so frightened.

@TriRacer
that looks rad!
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/29/2015 12:08pm
peelout wrote:
i've already come across 6 rattlers this year on my mountain trails above my house, nothing too big but scares the shit out of you when...
i've already come across 6 rattlers this year on my mountain trails above my house, nothing too big but scares the shit out of you when you're hauling ass and they curl up just as you get to them... hate 'em. last year i ran over one that was bigger around than my arm, it was a big boy... i almost ate shit just from being so frightened.

@TriRacer
that looks rad!
Thanks! I can't wait to get done with work to get back to work on it.

Speaking about snakes I was once going up a long, rocky climb in granny low gear with my tongue hanging in the spokes. Out of nowhere I hear a rattle and just barely see the thing lunge at my right foot. I swear I wheelied up the rest of that climb in record time! I hear ya about snakes man.
IWreckALot
5/29/2015 12:15pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
I've been there a few times. It's pretty crazy. It's gonna be a while before the trails are rideable again. With all of the MTB trails...
I've been there a few times. It's pretty crazy. It's gonna be a while before the trails are rideable again.

With all of the MTB trails closed, I started building another mtb trail on a hill near my house. I mapped it out on Google and it looks like it'll end up being about a 2 mile loop. Not too long but it'll have some really cool sections. It's all on a hill so it drains well and can be ridden just 1 day after a storm.

It's hard to tell from this picture but it'll have a few tricky climbs, some nice flowing descents, and a couple or rocky "expert" sections. I also made on downhill where the fast line is bunny hopping over a huge boulder. Should be fun. PM me if you want to come try it out.

I'm so rusty at riding right now. I haven't gotten to get out much this year (for obvious reasons) so far but I'm absolutely down for coming to ride it sometime. I like me a good rock or root garden even though I'm not the greatest at them. It's a rush when you don't go down while riding clipless. Lol. I'll shot you a PM.
4stroke4DWIN
5/29/2015 12:21pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
I've been there a few times. It's pretty crazy. It's gonna be a while before the trails are rideable again. With all of the MTB trails...

This makes my lungs hurt lol.
tylermx967
5/29/2015 7:41pm
WE ONLY GET TELLED THAT WATER GOTS TO BE BOYLD I ONLY DO THIS ONCE WHEN I HELPED MAKE ORNGE FRESHEE
the_wood109
5/29/2015 7:52pm
Make sure your parents are around if you ever boyle water, again.

ODOYLE RULES!
TX24
5/30/2015 10:01am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2015 10:02am
We have gotten about 9 inches in the last two weeks at our house. Close to here, the lake Voss lives on has gone up at least 22 feet. It was way down at one time. There's a big storm heading our way right now. Most of out MTB trails are flooded, flood planes is why we get to ride there.
IWreckALot
6/1/2015 5:58am
The sun is shining. Looks like our race will not be cancelled this weekend. They've only cancelled the first 4 races this year so far. Glad to see the sun.
Team Ideal
6/1/2015 11:19am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 11:20am
How's the lake down by Underground? I think Gun Barrel City is the town. Every winter I keep saying next year I'm bringing my fishing gear so I can fish for a day if we get rained out but I never do
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/1/2015 11:37am
We are in a pretty bad drought here. Most of the ponds around here are dry. Crazy that only a few hours away there is so many floods. Stay safe.
IWreckALot
6/1/2015 1:22pm
Team Ideal wrote:
How's the lake down by Underground? I think Gun Barrel City is the town. Every winter I keep saying next year I'm bringing my fishing gear...
How's the lake down by Underground? I think Gun Barrel City is the town. Every winter I keep saying next year I'm bringing my fishing gear so I can fish for a day if we get rained out but I never do
We're supposed to race about 30 miles north east of Underground this coming weekend. Hopefully it's not under water still. I believe this week is all supposed to be sun so it'll only dry out from here on.

Post a reply to: My fellow Texans doing ok after floods?

The Latest