My dogs are savages

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 12/6/2014 3:11am
So my dogs woke me up at 3:00 in the morning the other day. I have an Australian Shepherd and a Great Dane. It sounded like one of them was wimpering real loud like it had just gotten it's leg broke or something like that. I jumped up and looked out the window and it turns out my Australian shepherd was just going to town on some sort of animal. Doing the whole headshake thing with the animal in its mouth and everything. The commotion was the animal screaming, not my dogs. I went out there and my 30 lb dog had just mangled a raccoon. . . It was all but dead. Long story short, I ended up having to shoot the raccoon just to put it out of its misery.

My dogs average 2 possums, a handful of rats and about 4 or 5 squirrels a year. This was the first raccoon. Anyone else's dogs get after rodents entering your yard?
|
MR. X
12/3/2014 8:09am
Mine tries but the squirrels make it back up the tree before he gets them.
IWreckALot
12/3/2014 8:15am
This was the first time I've caught them in the act. I'm fairly confident the Aussie is the murderer. The Dane is slow and clumsy and partly retarded I'm pretty sure.
MR. X
12/3/2014 8:56am
My buddy's golden has killed probably 30 chucks, it's a nasty violent thing to watch the death shake in real life.
hvaughn88
12/3/2014 9:16am
Maybe I need to get a dog. I was cleaning out the gutters on my roof the other day and notice the damn squirrels have been going to town on some of the trim by my gutters. Those MF'ers need to be taken down, haha. These are the times I wish I didn't live in a subdivision and could blast em down from the trees without my neighbors getting pissed. Not to mention, I can't stand listening to them scurry across my roof in the morning.

The Shop

peelout
12/3/2014 9:21am
my bitch is fast and has caught a couple birds and fucked them up.

funny little thing, you know the movie "UP", where the dog keeps getting distracted and yelling "SQUIRREL!"? i take my dogs to our cabin all the time and i'll yell SQUIRREL! and they'll both freak the fuck out running looking for a squirrel. it's hilarious, they seriously flip their shit. she has caught and killed one so now she has the taste, it's hilarious.

my male is a hell of a bird hunter. sorry for taking over the thread with a pic, but since i don't have kids i treat these guys like my kids, they go everywhere with me and are treated better than most children.

Layla (red) and Roland (yellow)

MR. X
12/3/2014 9:25am
I got my hound dog to stop and point until I give him the ok to give chase, if I tell him to leave it he'll stand down . What kind of dogs are those peely?
IWreckALot
12/3/2014 9:26am
peelout wrote:
my bitch is fast and has caught a couple birds and fucked them up. funny little thing, you know the movie "UP", where the dog keeps...
my bitch is fast and has caught a couple birds and fucked them up.

funny little thing, you know the movie "UP", where the dog keeps getting distracted and yelling "SQUIRREL!"? i take my dogs to our cabin all the time and i'll yell SQUIRREL! and they'll both freak the fuck out running looking for a squirrel. it's hilarious, they seriously flip their shit. she has caught and killed one so now she has the taste, it's hilarious.

my male is a hell of a bird hunter. sorry for taking over the thread with a pic, but since i don't have kids i treat these guys like my kids, they go everywhere with me and are treated better than most children.

Layla (red) and Roland (yellow)

Those are some fun looking dogs. I'll see if I have decent pictures of my dogs. They never want to sit still so it's hard to get a good picture of them.

HVaughn, I agree with you about living in a subdivision. My dogs are outside dogs. They come in and just sit at the back door even if it's 20 degrees out. I have a shed that I put a heat lamp in and they have a pool to stay cool in during the summer months. Later next year, we're going to buying her dad's 7 acre horse property. That should give them a good run to stretch their legs.
peelout
12/3/2014 10:09am
IWreckALot wrote:
Those are some fun looking dogs. I'll see if I have decent pictures of my dogs. They never want to sit still so it's hard to...
Those are some fun looking dogs. I'll see if I have decent pictures of my dogs. They never want to sit still so it's hard to get a good picture of them.

HVaughn, I agree with you about living in a subdivision. My dogs are outside dogs. They come in and just sit at the back door even if it's 20 degrees out. I have a shed that I put a heat lamp in and they have a pool to stay cool in during the summer months. Later next year, we're going to buying her dad's 7 acre horse property. That should give them a good run to stretch their legs.
thanks man, they're awesome, they're very very active and i can take them on the trails without leashes and they won't leave my side. huge plus because our trails are heavy traffic and people get pissed easily, fuckin' hippies.

Roland is a 95lb Labrodoodle (Lab Poodle mix) and Layla is a 50lb Goldendoodle (Golden Retriever Poodle mix).

luckily i don't have a squirrel problem at my house even with 5 trees on my property. my friend less than a mile away has a horrible squirrel problem, ground and tree... he shoots them with a pellet gun and his neighbors thank him for it.
hvaughn88
12/3/2014 10:12am
IWreckALot wrote:
Those are some fun looking dogs. I'll see if I have decent pictures of my dogs. They never want to sit still so it's hard to...

peelout wrote:
thanks man, they're awesome, they're very very active and i can take them on the trails without leashes and they won't leave my side. huge plus...
thanks man, they're awesome, they're very very active and i can take them on the trails without leashes and they won't leave my side. huge plus because our trails are heavy traffic and people get pissed easily, fuckin' hippies.

Roland is a 95lb Labrodoodle (Lab Poodle mix) and Layla is a 50lb Goldendoodle (Golden Retriever Poodle mix).

luckily i don't have a squirrel problem at my house even with 5 trees on my property. my friend less than a mile away has a horrible squirrel problem, ground and tree... he shoots them with a pellet gun and his neighbors thank him for it.
might have to go the pellet gun route. I'm picturing myself late at night in a Bill Murray/Caddyshack scenario, haha
IWreckALot
12/3/2014 11:02am
hvaughn88 wrote:
might have to go the pellet gun route. I'm picturing myself late at night in a Bill Murray/Caddyshack scenario, haha
I'm all about taking care of squirrels the proper way. . . which is with a pellet gun. But my neighbor's son was doing that one day and about 5 police cars showed up guns drawn. They ended up just taking the gun but that's the last thing I want happening. And I don't particularly want my neighbors to see me outside with a gun anyways. I was so nervous about shooting that raccoon with the .22 when I did that. It was 3:00 AM and I figured I'd be back inside wrapped up before anyone could figure out where it came from.

I'm super excited about moving out to a more country setting. I'll be shooting that .22 all the time. I already have about 6 bricks of ammo saved up. Lol.
hvaughn88
12/3/2014 11:13am
hvaughn88 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm all about taking care of squirrels the proper way. . . which is with a pellet gun. But my neighbor's son was doing that one...
I'm all about taking care of squirrels the proper way. . . which is with a pellet gun. But my neighbor's son was doing that one day and about 5 police cars showed up guns drawn. They ended up just taking the gun but that's the last thing I want happening. And I don't particularly want my neighbors to see me outside with a gun anyways. I was so nervous about shooting that raccoon with the .22 when I did that. It was 3:00 AM and I figured I'd be back inside wrapped up before anyone could figure out where it came from.

I'm super excited about moving out to a more country setting. I'll be shooting that .22 all the time. I already have about 6 bricks of ammo saved up. Lol.
I hear ya there! I'm so ready to move back out into the country, but we are basically stuck in the subdivisions because of the school district boundaries for the school we wanted our boys to go to. Looks like I have about 14 more years of being in town. Damn kids, haha
IWreckALot
12/3/2014 11:55am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I hear ya there! I'm so ready to move back out into the country, but we are basically stuck in the subdivisions because of the school...
I hear ya there! I'm so ready to move back out into the country, but we are basically stuck in the subdivisions because of the school district boundaries for the school we wanted our boys to go to. Looks like I have about 14 more years of being in town. Damn kids, haha
Any family in the area? Just use their mailing address as your permanent address. Ha.
hvaughn88
12/3/2014 12:04pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I hear ya there! I'm so ready to move back out into the country, but we are basically stuck in the subdivisions because of the school...
IWreckALot wrote:
Any family in the area? Just use their mailing address as your permanent address. Ha.
I wish we did. They are such sticklers around here about school districts. I have a couple friends that teach in the district and I asked them about it and they basically said it's impossible now because of how much information is out there. Scary, haha
rosebud441
12/3/2014 1:00pm
This guy has a thing for a nice old man that goes by my house with a walker.. I think he is freaked out by his walker and tries to attack it.. Not good for piece and tranquility in my hood.. Bad Sam, Bad boy

12/3/2014 1:56pm
rosebud441 wrote:
This guy has a thing for a nice old man that goes by my house with a walker.. I think he is freaked out by his...
This guy has a thing for a nice old man that goes by my house with a walker.. I think he is freaked out by his walker and tries to attack it.. Not good for piece and tranquility in my hood.. Bad Sam, Bad boy

I have a 13 year old beagle that is my best friend ever!! We have an old lady in a motorized wheel chair that rolls down the street from time to time. That old dog lets out this hateful bark that we have never heard before and will run around the house completely pissed off, standing fur and all. Then when the old lady passes, she will lay down and go back to sleep.
rosebud441
12/3/2014 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2014 2:03pm
We had to buy the old guy a new pair of pants, (played tug of war with a pant leg)
I feel shitty about it, and the fact is he should have not been out of the house if freaking kids knew how to shut doors.

reded
12/3/2014 2:16pm
See the blue ball in the lower right of the picture? Every time there's a disagreeance that ball catches the full wrath and fury of this 3lb tough guy. I reckon in his mind, at that moment, it's the most vicious varmint the world has ever known.

Foghorn
12/3/2014 2:30pm
My brother's Jack Russell hasn't met a varmint yet that he couldn't kill. No full size raccoons around here though. My dog is still only 7 months old. Should get up to about 190 or so which is what his dad weighs. Definitely too clumsy right now to catch anything.

IWreckALot
12/3/2014 4:27pm
Foghorn wrote:
My brother's Jack Russell hasn't met a varmint yet that he couldn't kill. No full size raccoons around here though. My dog is still only 7...
My brother's Jack Russell hasn't met a varmint yet that he couldn't kill. No full size raccoons around here though. My dog is still only 7 months old. Should get up to about 190 or so which is what his dad weighs. Definitely too clumsy right now to catch anything.

They're so much fun when they're younger. It's like their body grows faster than their brain and they just can't sort themselves out.
SEEMEFIRST
12/3/2014 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2014 10:19pm
100 LB. heeler/lab. He's hell on squirrels.
ehr400
12/4/2014 6:41am
My Pit/ Wiemriener/ Beagle goes to town on the rabbits. Did some work on a 30 + lb. ground hog too. Loves people and my kids and kinda a big licking baby but when she is outside it is all business and killing machine.
peelout
12/4/2014 10:48am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2014 10:49am
i love dog threads, keep them coming!

peelout
12/4/2014 10:51am
safe to say this guy is my favorite of my two, i like him better than i like most people

Foghorn
12/4/2014 11:05am
My daughter's dog got beat up by a couple of thug mice.

Idaho747
12/4/2014 11:30am
We've got our three pups who are just like mine and my wife's kids since we don't have any. We have our 90 lb German Shephard/ lab mix. Really wish I would have worked with him more with bird hunting all he wants to do is chase ducks and geese. And we have our 140 lb saint. And our little 25 lb pure bred German Shephard that's got a gland disorder so that's as big as she will get.

IWreckALot
12/4/2014 11:58am
My dogs are freaking hilarious to watch. I buy them beef knuckles from time to time and let them come in and eat them. The Aussie's first reaction is to find a place to bury her bone. I guess it's an instinct thing. If I give them bones outside, she just buries both of them. When she comes in, she wanders around aimlessly with it in here mouth trying to figure out where she can hide it so the other one doesn't get it. The great dane just sits there and chews it immediately. Every now and again, they decide they want the other one's bone and that's pretty funny too. And sometimes, the Aussie decides she wants both and my Dane just sits there and looks at her with the most distraught look in her eyes.
Bob693
12/4/2014 12:29pm
I've got one that hunts lizards non stop, the other goes after squirrels but hasn't caught one yet.

IWreckALot
12/4/2014 12:37pm
My neighbor has a dachshund. He is more tied up with that dog than he ever was either of his kids or his wife. . . It's almost annoying to be around him because every 10 seconds he's asking where Dio is. . . Before meeting him though, I would not have considered a dog like that but after hanging out with it, they're actually freaking hilarious dogs.

Post a reply to: My dogs are savages

The Latest