May Be Time To Quit Flying....

Anonymous (not verified)
8/26/2016 2:57pm
Any other industry and they would be put out of business. They simply do not give a shit about their customers----and they don't have to worry about competitors doing any better...

Discuss among yourselves while I clear the phlegm.
|
Mini Elsinore
8/26/2016 3:13pm
I quit flying several years ago.
Smart man.
Walking away from a $1k ticket (mid-trip) and renting a suv just to regain some semblance of control over my situation. So, yeah, I believe I'm right behind you...
If we accept the status quo, it will continue. It may anyway...
newmann
8/26/2016 3:26pm
You got a cavity search?Laughing Fill us in on the details.

I use my United Chase card for as many personal and business expenses as I can and pay it in full every month to avoid any interest and fees. When the wife or I occasionally get a chance to sneak away for a weekend or whatever we've been able to get free flights and just pay a few dollars in tax. It's just insane how the ticket prices flip flop from one day to the next though. Have had to grab the youngest son some flights at the last minute when he gets some leave and it just makes your head spin. Seats getting smaller and the people are getting bigger.
Mini Elsinore
8/26/2016 3:34pm
newmann wrote:
You got a cavity search?:laugh: Fill us in on the details. I use my United Chase card for as many personal and business expenses as I...
You got a cavity search?Laughing Fill us in on the details.

I use my United Chase card for as many personal and business expenses as I can and pay it in full every month to avoid any interest and fees. When the wife or I occasionally get a chance to sneak away for a weekend or whatever we've been able to get free flights and just pay a few dollars in tax. It's just insane how the ticket prices flip flop from one day to the next though. Have had to grab the youngest son some flights at the last minute when he gets some leave and it just makes your head spin. Seats getting smaller and the people are getting bigger.
Oh man, don't get me started.... Laughing

The Shop

JAFO92
8/26/2016 5:09pm
Fuck the airlines, fuck the TSA, if I cant drive there, I wont be there.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
8/26/2016 5:25pm
when you live on an island in the middle of the pacific you get used to flying,

but security checks are the worst, its just a pain in the ass getting through airports now,

Air New Zealand do a direct flight from Auckland to London (its the fastest way to get there for us) , but you stop at LAX to get fuel and let passangers on and off, if you are ongoing to london you get off and get back into the same seat , a few years ago TSA changed the rules and we now have to get a Visa for the US, and go through immigration, you dont even go into the airport proper, its just an added nightmare to an already long journey (each part of the flights is 11-12 hours)

The Rock
8/26/2016 9:27pm
Good luck with that quitting flying program.

It's past time they stop charging for luggage. When the fuel price goes back up reinstate baggage fees.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
8/26/2016 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 9:40pm
I have to fly as part of my job. A lot. 60+ flights a year. As a very frequent flyer, it sucks balls.

Here is my "suck" list:

People. The general flying public are self-absorbed asshats. They fly once or twice a year and feel like they are sooo entitled to be coddled in every way. F-them. Get on the plane, find your seat and sit the F down. Period. I hate you. Fiddle around in the aisle, stumble around making small talk as you try and find the "perfect spot" for your carry-on shit? Please die. To those people travelling with a mass of kids and have limited parenting skills, F you and your ambivalent attitude to your spawn and their terror.

Airlines. They are milking every dime out of their operations. Fees for everything from "good seats", checked bags, carry on bags....shit, even a bag of peanuts. Big, ominous money grab. Need to make a change to a ticket? Sure. Add $100 to $200. They cancel a flight due to a mechanical? Good luck getting a hotel voucher or meal ticket. And, to even try to get it, line up with 200 other people in a line (mostly made up of the above mentioned asshat, entitled folk) and wait a few hours to be disappointed by the 2 or 3 customer service people that hate their jobs already. And you.

The TSA. Biggest bunch of idiots ever compiled. All to give the appearance of a "safe" flying experience. My dog has more correctly operating brain cells than the jack-leg TSA robot telling the masses, in a monotone, "Remove your change from your pockets. Take off your shoes, take your belt off, take out your liquids, put your laptop in a separate bin...etc." Then I get stopped going through security because 5 dipshits ahead of me have a belt on, change in their pocket, belts on..etc.

BTW. I have my Global Entry card and TSA-Pre so I can bypass most of the drones domestic and internationally. Still sucks to fly.

Rant over. I need to get to bed now as I have an early flight in the morning. FML.

brlatm
8/26/2016 9:43pm
I have flown around 60,000 miles this year already, I don't mind it and rather enjoy it, but I usually get one of the big 3 middle eastern airlines now to chauffeur my ass around.

US carries suck, I was a loyal AA member in the states and would fly them even when they cost a tad more so I could maintain Platinum status.

Since moving over here and getting to experience a real airline, screw them! I don't miss them at all.

And you can use points off credit cards to pay for flights all over, I took my kids from Bangkok to Hong Kong, then to Tokyo all for very little points and $110 out of pocket for the 6 flights.

Keep on ranting....I love the TSA ones they are so special.
JW381
8/26/2016 10:29pm
The more I do it, the more I learn to hate it. I want to be a pilot. Not a miserable passenger
8/27/2016 2:16am
I am never disappointed with Southwest. They are always friendly and bags fly free. They offer free TV to watch through wifi and we got free margaritas last time we flied.

I only flew Alaska airlines once, by every stewardess was atleast an 8 out of 10. It's just something to consider.
71Fish
8/27/2016 8:04am
I have pre-screening, get to test it out when I fly in January. I agree with the comment above about US airlines sacking. They don't seem to give a shit. Korean Air is a good experience as far as flying and customer service go. At least they pretend to care and take pride in service and appearance.
vetmxr
8/27/2016 8:19am
why in the hell they don't let the people with the rear seats load first is beyond me. Loading a plane from the front to the back has to be one of the most inefficient ways to load people. Especially the dipshits......and it seems that 90% of the people anywhere anymore are complete dipshits. How they muddle through life successfully is a complete mystery to me.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/27/2016 7:10pm
The Rock wrote:
Good luck with that quitting flying program.

It's past time they stop charging for luggage. When the fuel price goes back up reinstate baggage fees.
Exactly. When fuel prices go up, they have no problem passing it on to the customer. They even have press releases saying so. Never have I seen a press release saying they are lowering the price, passing it in to the consumer, when prices go down.
71Fish
8/27/2016 8:16pm
kzizok wrote:
Exactly. When fuel prices go up, they have no problem passing it on to the customer. They even have press releases saying so. Never have I...
Exactly. When fuel prices go up, they have no problem passing it on to the customer. They even have press releases saying so. Never have I seen a press release saying they are lowering the price, passing it in to the consumer, when prices go down.
Nope. Since we got used to paying the higher fare, they just keep it higher. Until the next fuel crisis.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/27/2016 10:58pm
kzizok wrote:
Exactly. When fuel prices go up, they have no problem passing it on to the customer. They even have press releases saying so. Never have I...
71Fish wrote:
Nope. Since we got used to paying the higher fare, they just keep it higher. Until the next fuel crisis.
When the airlines were struggling and many filing bankruptcy, the feds got involved to keep them going. Lets face it, losing airlines on a big scale would cripple our economy, much like the auto crisis. The airlines know they have us all by the balls so they price as they please and the powers that be look the other way. So with every price hike, the baseline moves up with it. But, thats not how baselines should work. Prices should move above it, at it, or below it. Airlines' baseline is at the last price hike and only fluctuates up from there. Commercial air travel is an operating monopoly not necessarily a monopoly by definition. Plus, there is collusion and/or price fixing that goes on, which is illegal.
DirtDgr
8/28/2016 9:51am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 9:53am
I fly to Alaska every year to go fishing.

Alaska Airlines was always ok.

But this year I had the worst hamburger I have ever had in my life.

And this older 50(I'm 47 so yes older) something stewardess had an ass wider than the aisles. She would hurl her hips into my shoulder and just about knock me out. They really need a scale for these bigger gals! Like an abalone measuring gauge. They don't fit, to the gym you go.
Krallang
8/28/2016 3:00pm
First world problems. People would die of dysentery and it would take months to go anywhere in a wagon. Now we complain about someone taking to long to sit down. We are spoiled.
Mini Elsinore
8/29/2016 8:51am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 8:52am
Update.
So after telling American Airlines mid-trip to GFY, I rented a Rav4 and hit the road. I have had the best time meeting folks in restaurants, etc. along the way.
Damn sure beats flying and actually less stressful. My company is freaking out since my trip time will double, but I kind of like this "privateer" lifestyle.....
motosmith
8/29/2016 9:01am
I am never disappointed with Southwest. They are always friendly and bags fly free. They offer free TV to watch through wifi and we got free...
I am never disappointed with Southwest. They are always friendly and bags fly free. They offer free TV to watch through wifi and we got free margaritas last time we flied.

I only flew Alaska airlines once, by every stewardess was atleast an 8 out of 10. It's just something to consider.
The last Alaska flight I took had straight supermodels for stewardess.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/29/2016 12:28pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Fuck the airlines, fuck the TSA, if I cant drive there, I wont be there.
Some people think I'm nuts for driving around the country to hit the nationals in the summertime. Avoiding all the flights is worth it. I flew the last three races this year. It's a good reminder for what I hate about airports...especially LAX.
8/29/2016 12:41pm
I fly once a year or less. Typically for family vacation. My family and I are respectful (try our best) and it usually ends up fine.
BUT - I have a story when I was in my 20's.
Flying back from Chicago after a weekend bachelor party with 4 dudes. SWA. I was hung over as shit on the flight and we had the very last row on the plane. I needed to go number 2 really bad, ugh...hanging like a bitch, on a plane. So I went and just painted the stool. Then I see a sign that shows a picture of a hand holding wadded up paper with a red circle with line through it. Basically saying no paper in the stool.
Still feeling drunk, fuzzy, sick, I interpreted that as no paper of any kind in the stool. So I wipe my diarrhea ass and start stuffing it in the trash can instead of the toilet. I used more than normal, it was a long weekend.
What stupid rules SWA has I remember thinking.
I get back to my seat and tell my buddy how jacked up it is you can't even put used toilet paper in the toilet on a plane. He sat up, eyes wide open, shut the fuck up! you did not just do that! All 4 of my buddies to this day tease me about that one. The poor clean up crew. damn. I'm sorry.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/29/2016 2:06pm
It almost isnt worth your time to fly unless its 1000 or more miles. I guarantee you, Steve, that you spend less time driving than you would with the whole process of flying for a large portion of races.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
8/29/2016 2:08pm
Update. So after telling American Airlines mid-trip to GFY, I rented a Rav4 and hit the road. I have had the best time meeting folks in...
Update.
So after telling American Airlines mid-trip to GFY, I rented a Rav4 and hit the road. I have had the best time meeting folks in restaurants, etc. along the way.
Damn sure beats flying and actually less stressful. My company is freaking out since my trip time will double, but I kind of like this "privateer" lifestyle.....
"Due date" movie?
Mini Elsinore
8/29/2016 2:32pm
Update. So after telling American Airlines mid-trip to GFY, I rented a Rav4 and hit the road. I have had the best time meeting folks in...
Update.
kzizok wrote:
"Due date" movie?
Shoulda packed my GoPro. I thought I was on a 3-day trip...it will be 8. Laughing
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/29/2016 4:41pm
I fly once a year or less. Typically for family vacation. My family and I are respectful (try our best) and it usually ends up fine...
I fly once a year or less. Typically for family vacation. My family and I are respectful (try our best) and it usually ends up fine.
BUT - I have a story when I was in my 20's.
Flying back from Chicago after a weekend bachelor party with 4 dudes. SWA. I was hung over as shit on the flight and we had the very last row on the plane. I needed to go number 2 really bad, ugh...hanging like a bitch, on a plane. So I went and just painted the stool. Then I see a sign that shows a picture of a hand holding wadded up paper with a red circle with line through it. Basically saying no paper in the stool.
Still feeling drunk, fuzzy, sick, I interpreted that as no paper of any kind in the stool. So I wipe my diarrhea ass and start stuffing it in the trash can instead of the toilet. I used more than normal, it was a long weekend.
What stupid rules SWA has I remember thinking.
I get back to my seat and tell my buddy how jacked up it is you can't even put used toilet paper in the toilet on a plane. He sat up, eyes wide open, shut the fuck up! you did not just do that! All 4 of my buddies to this day tease me about that one. The poor clean up crew. damn. I'm sorry.
Ah. I'd always wondered about the username... Laughing

Post a reply to: May Be Time To Quit Flying....

The Latest