Man we got hit bad with the snow here.

jeffro503
I have about 15" of snow that fell within a 12 hour period. Completely tore my tree in the front yard in half. I now have some 40' long limbs coming off the 130' tall fir tree in the back , laying on top of my shop. I'll post some pics I took here in a bit , but gawd dang Portland is in bad shape right now. They had people on the news this morning that were still trapped in their cars from yesterday's commute home. Abandoned cars and people every where. We were getting over 2" per hour here and it just kept coming down. Freakin' terrible out there right now!
|
kaw rider9
1/11/2017 11:53am
Quad+ truck hood+ rope+ friends+ beer= Great time!

Just sayin'
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/11/2017 12:01pm
Dam man. I couldn't imagine. Hope you stay safe. My blood is so thin as i was born and raised in South Florida. Our winter has been typical. 85° on Christmas followed by 2 nights in the 40s and 80 during the day. Then 85 for a few weeks then repeat then 90 again for 8 months. Lol. Every few years we get a cold month of 40/50s but recently we only had 4 cold days all winter and cold is relative. No wonder more people move here than anywhere else in the world.
jeffro503
1/11/2017 12:06pm
The real scary stuff is coming too. It'll get above freezing a little and slightly thaw.....but we are suppose to get down to about 17 - 20 degrees here at night. There are going to be a lot of trees falling , power lines coming down and so forth from all the weight. My old work van....the snow stuck to the sides of it as well....it looks like a freakin' igloo! This is going to be a terrible week here.
ledger
1/11/2017 12:35pm
We had a snow/ice storm year's ago that shut down everything for about a week. Hopefully you don't loose power, cause it's an eerie feeling when everything goes blank and you can't see your hand in front of your face. All you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck jeffro.

The Shop

hvaughn88
1/11/2017 12:44pm
FLmxer wrote:
Dam man. I couldn't imagine. Hope you stay safe. My blood is so thin as i was born and raised in South Florida. Our winter has...
Dam man. I couldn't imagine. Hope you stay safe. My blood is so thin as i was born and raised in South Florida. Our winter has been typical. 85° on Christmas followed by 2 nights in the 40s and 80 during the day. Then 85 for a few weeks then repeat then 90 again for 8 months. Lol. Every few years we get a cold month of 40/50s but recently we only had 4 cold days all winter and cold is relative. No wonder more people move here than anywhere else in the world.
It's been a really weird winter so far here. Last week it got down to 9 degrees (2 degrees in NWA), and its currently 73 today as I'm typing this.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
1/11/2017 1:02pm
FLmxer wrote:
Dam man. I couldn't imagine. Hope you stay safe. My blood is so thin as i was born and raised in South Florida. Our winter has...
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's been a really weird winter so far here. Last week it got down to 9 degrees (2 degrees in NWA), and its currently 73 today...
It's been a really weird winter so far here. Last week it got down to 9 degrees (2 degrees in NWA), and its currently 73 today as I'm typing this.
Jeffro can send about 6" of that snow over here. My snowmobile has yet to be run. Sad

We were also had single digits last week here in NE Ohio, ice everywhere but almost no snow in my area.

Rained yesterday and it is 53 degrees today and maybe 60 tomorrow. Our averages are 32 high/17 low for January.
MX114
1/11/2017 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 1:09pm
Syracuse wins the "golden snowball award" almost yearly for the most snow for a city population more than 100,000. I think our average is like 160" so I know the struggle. This year has been a little odd. On and off snow storm but above average temps. We are used to snow by the foot so when your not it prolly seems insane. Hang in there man least you guys have some recreational laws there in OR to help ease the pain Cool
JAFO92
1/11/2017 1:19pm
78 degrees here.

Prolly hafta run the A/C tonight.
kaw rider9
1/11/2017 1:59pm
T-shirt weather here too at 37 degrees.

Gotta ice storm rolling through for the next couple days, so it'll change to hoodie weather...

You should come up here and hang out. Ice fishing with my redneck ass should be on every ones agenda!
MR. X
1/11/2017 2:49pm
We got 2 feet in the beginning of the week ,tomorrow it's gonna be 58 degrees !
1/11/2017 2:50pm
3" accumulation over two snowfalls this entire winter. Send a few truckloads my way so I can remember what the good old days where like..........

Lake effect doesn't do anything, Same in my hometown in the middle of nowhere / cornfields.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
1/11/2017 3:57pm
Lake Tahoe just got smashed with another round still to go this evening into tomorrow. Some of the higher resort snow totals are jaw dropping already. They could possibly crest 10' of new snow if it continues to keep falling throughout the night.

APLMAN99
1/11/2017 4:18pm
We've been pretty fortunate here. We've had snow on the ground steadily for most of the winter, but it's come down mostly in manageable doses.

I'm getting a little tired of the cold, though. One more forecasted cold spell for now. I think it's supposed to get down to 0F tonight, and 2F on Thursday and Friday. Highs in the mid teens.
MX114
1/11/2017 4:29pm
NV825 wrote:
Lake Tahoe just got smashed with another round still to go this evening into tomorrow. Some of the higher resort snow totals are jaw dropping already...
Lake Tahoe just got smashed with another round still to go this evening into tomorrow. Some of the higher resort snow totals are jaw dropping already. They could possibly crest 10' of new snow if it continues to keep falling throughout the night.

Holy crappy dude that's gnarly! Awesome pic
jeffro503
1/11/2017 6:08pm
I'll get some pics up here in just a bit. Been shoveling snow and started clearing my front yard tree that split it half. The governer declared a state of emergency i guess. Not suppose to get above freezing until possibly Monday. One scary thing I'm dealing with are those huge limbs that broke off behind my shop. It's a total disaster area around here. Fucking trees down every where.

We also broke a 130 year record in the last 24 hours. Never had this much snow in that short of time.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/11/2017 6:29pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
It's been a really weird winter so far here. Last week it got down to 9 degrees (2 degrees in NWA), and its currently 73 today...
Yep, and changing again.
APLMAN99
1/11/2017 9:50pm
Here's what it looked like a little bit east of us, just a few miles from my brother's place. The drifts have been pretty crazy!

Those are regular county roads, not just trails through fields.......

jeffro503
1/11/2017 9:51pm
OK , so here are a bunch of pics. The big fir tree that is standing behind my van has lost like 3 - 4 more big branches. If you zoom in you can see the broken off ends just above the peak of the roof on my little shop. Also , the neighbor is now concerned about this huge willow tree next door that's now engulfing his house. I have a picture of the big fir tree in my back yard with a few of the big limbs that haven't broken yet , but are usually a good 15' up , and they are resting in my lawn now. The little tree in the front completely split in half , my lil BBQ pit that is only about 1" wide around the rim....had about 15" snow stacked in a ring....weird how this stuff stacks up. And look at all the cars.....look like igloo's.

jeffro503
1/12/2017 12:46am
That's pretty beautiful, miss getting snowfalls like that!

It is beautiful for sure. Was so weird stepping outside at 2:30 am and it was lit up almost as good as day light. Storms like this , we're at their mercy. I'm really hoping we don't lose power here because it'll cause some serious problems. I'm more worried about my little shop out back. Even though the roof is a steep pitch , if a 40' branch that probably weighs a ton because of the ice and snow , it punches a hole through the roof or something. Going to be a little worried about stuff around here for another 4 - 5 days. We'll see what happens.
MX114
1/12/2017 2:07am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Here's what it looked like a little bit east of us, just a few miles from my brother's place. The drifts have been pretty crazy! Those...
Here's what it looked like a little bit east of us, just a few miles from my brother's place. The drifts have been pretty crazy!

Wow and I thought we get allot of snow. That's wild
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/12/2017 5:01am
That's pretty beautiful, miss getting snowfalls like that!

jeffro503 wrote:
It is beautiful for sure. Was so weird stepping outside at 2:30 am and it was lit up almost as good as day light. Storms like...
It is beautiful for sure. Was so weird stepping outside at 2:30 am and it was lit up almost as good as day light. Storms like this , we're at their mercy. I'm really hoping we don't lose power here because it'll cause some serious problems. I'm more worried about my little shop out back. Even though the roof is a steep pitch , if a 40' branch that probably weighs a ton because of the ice and snow , it punches a hole through the roof or something. Going to be a little worried about stuff around here for another 4 - 5 days. We'll see what happens.
Surely, they'll knock off a couple of bucks for the gate and/or practice fees for you guys this weekend?
reded
1/12/2017 5:19am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 5:20am
Apparently Washington, Oregon and New York failed to receive the memo on global warming. Looks extremely wintry in those locations.
APLMAN99
1/12/2017 6:39am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Here's what it looked like a little bit east of us, just a few miles from my brother's place. The drifts have been pretty crazy! Those...

MX114 wrote:
Wow and I thought we get allot of snow. That's wild
Those pictures are from just outside Ephrata WA.

We actually have more snow than they do, but because of the wind down there they get those crazy drifts. The wind just howls down in the Columbia Basin.

Our current snow level looks like a little bit more than Jeffro's pictures, especially on my highest elevation blocks, but we didn't get it all at once and our snow is really dry over here.
MR. X
1/12/2017 6:56am

This is a buffalo storm beer fridge.
Hut
1/12/2017 6:58am
I was busting drifts on my way to Winshester yesterday that were coming over the hood of the 4WD ram 2500. I was glad I didn't find one of those stuck Hondas the Sherrif warned about! Not a lot of snow but very high winds causing some sizable around Quincy Wa. go about 10 miles over and much more calm.
APLMAN99
1/12/2017 7:39am
Hut wrote:
I was busting drifts on my way to Winshester yesterday that were coming over the hood of the 4WD ram 2500. I was glad I didn't...
I was busting drifts on my way to Winshester yesterday that were coming over the hood of the 4WD ram 2500. I was glad I didn't find one of those stuck Hondas the Sherrif warned about! Not a lot of snow but very high winds causing some sizable around Quincy Wa. go about 10 miles over and much more calm.
I used to drive down there a lot, even lived in Royal City (and Moses Lake) for a bit. The worst drifts I think I've ever personally drove through were up on Martin Rd, just above Hwy 28 between Quincy and Ephrata. If the area got over 4" of snow, it seemed like it all drifted up to Martin, especially where the canal was just a bit higher than the road on the north side. I've nearly taken out a stuck small car several times, even just creeping along. They can be fully buried in no time and you don't see them until you are right on them.

Hopefully you don't see this happen while you're here, but in intense freezing rain situations the highway from Quincy to George should be avoided at all costs. I've seen cars at a full stop get pushed into the ditch by wind gusts. Nothing the drivers could do. The crown of the road doesn't seem that drastic until you're on it with freshly frozen rain, then it feels like a high banked NASCAR turn.
Shiftfaced
1/12/2017 8:15am
APLMAN99 wrote:

Dodson Road?

Post a reply to: Man we got hit bad with the snow here.

The Latest