Man ticketed for shooting bear that fights with dog

P-Nut
Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 8:03am
You guys see this one?

FORT COLLINS, Colo. - A man who shot and killed a bear in Fort Collins has been ticketed by wildlife officers.

The man, whose name has not been released, was issued a summons for unlawful take of wildlife, unlawful possession of wildlife and unlawful discharge of a firearm in a careless manner, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokeswoman Jennifer Churchill.

Churchill said the man, who lives in the Fossil Creek neighborhood, let his dog out at around 9 p.m. last Thursday. The dog saw a bear in the yard and the two animals got in a fight.

The dog's owner said he grabbed a rifle and shot the bear.

"The rule of thumb is you can't kill a wild animal for attacking your pets," Churchill said. "In this situation, there could be extenuating circumstances. So, we are investigating."

Bears have been foraging closer to humans this year. Churchill said there hasn’t been as much natural food available for bears to forage and so they are moving into neighborhoods looking for meals.

The summons requires the man to appear in court. The district attorney and a wildlife officer will determine the amount of the man's fine.
|
SEE ARE125
8/25/2015 12:38pm
"rule of thumb"? Either there's a law against it or there isn't.

Sorry for your loss, Jarid. #bearlivesmatter
Bob693
8/25/2015 12:47pm
I'd kill the bear and pay the fine to protect my dog.
TailSoHard
8/25/2015 12:58pm
Isn't it legal to kill an animal that's attacking your crops or destroying your property? (At least in Michigan I believe it is) Not sure why it's legal to kill a bear for attacking your chickens, but not for attacking your dog...
XXVoid MainXX
8/25/2015 3:56pm
Lesson for the neighbors. If you shoot a bear for fighting with your dog say the bear was coming for you and don't even mention the dog.

The Shop

8/25/2015 4:12pm
Why even tell anyone!?.... Drag the damb thing into the basement and shut up about it! dono if that was possible but if one comes into my yard and it comes down to my dog or the bear....Im eating some bear steaks that night!

And NO I dont condone breaking the game laws! but im certainly not letting good bear meat go to waste either! Ima risk it!Tongue

h&m_cycle
8/25/2015 5:34pm
I know a guy who's retired, loves to hunt... Travels to a few different states staying motels... Only stays where
his dog can... Dog sleeps on the bed with him...

My point is, his dog is family, got to protect your family...
XXVoid MainXX
8/25/2015 6:37pm
Or "I heard a commotion in my back yard so I grabbed my gun and went out to see what was going on when all of a sudden this bear started coming at me with a knife. I feared for my life so I had to shoot it."
h&m_cycle
8/25/2015 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2015 6:42pm
Or "I heard a commotion in my back yard so I grabbed my gun and went out to see what was going on when all of...
Or "I heard a commotion in my back yard so I grabbed my gun and went out to see what was going on when all of a sudden this bear started coming at me with a knife. I feared for my life so I had to shoot it."
# Bear Lives Matter

AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
8/25/2015 6:49pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
# Bear Lives Matter

I was waiting for that.

But you didn't ask what "type" of bear it was before your post.....Wink

Seriously, if a bear, mountain lion, wolf or other worthy animal was going after my dog, he gets a bullet.
Last winter, two coyotes were on my back porch cornering the neighborhood cat that has adopted us for the most part. By the time I got my gun and came back, they took off for the back forty. The rifle stayed by that door the rest of the winter.
scooter5002
8/25/2015 7:02pm
"careless manner"? Fuck, the bear's dead, I'd say the guy was probably a pretty good shot. Careless? No.
500guy
8/25/2015 8:24pm
I believe there is a Law about animal trespass that covers this issue , kind of like shooting predators for getting after live stock.

Rule of thumb my ass, either it's against the law or it's not.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/25/2015 9:25pm
"Unlawful possession of wildlife?" WTF? The bear came into his yard!!!!
8/26/2015 6:09am
Worse case scenario he will lose hunting privileges for a few years. Not a good decision using a 300 Win Mag in a subdivision.

IWreckALot
8/26/2015 6:18am
Worse case scenario he will lose hunting privileges for a few years. Not a good decision using a 300 Win Mag in a subdivision.

I don't think a .22 would have done the trick.
8/26/2015 6:30am

IWreckALot wrote:
No but he probably could of run the bear off. It was a 2 year old a wooden spoon banging on a sauce pan could of done the trick. Sounds like dog, bear, and old man scared the shit out of each other and it ended bad for the bear. I don't think any judge is going to throw the book at him. They will probably throw it out but they had to charge him based on statutes.
bsm121
8/26/2015 8:27am

IWreckALot wrote:
No but he probably could of run the bear off. It was a 2 year old a wooden spoon banging on a sauce pan could of...
No but he probably could of run the bear off. It was a 2 year old a wooden spoon banging on a sauce pan could of done the trick. Sounds like dog, bear, and old man scared the shit out of each other and it ended bad for the bear. I don't think any judge is going to throw the book at him. They will probably throw it out but they had to charge him based on statutes.
If the bear wanted to kill the dog, I doubt pots and pans would prevent it from happening.
bsm121
8/26/2015 8:28am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 8:29am

IWreckALot wrote:
No but he probably could of run the bear off. It was a 2 year old a wooden spoon banging on a sauce pan could of...
8/26/2015 8:42am
IWreckALot wrote:
bsm121 wrote:
If the bear wanted to kill the dog, I doubt pots and pans would prevent it from happening.
The Bear wasn't killing the dog the bear was asleep when the dog went into the back yard. The dog went nuts the bear spooked. The old man went inside at got his rifle. If the bear had intentions on killing the dog Fido would have shredded by the time the homeowner came back.
TailSoHard
8/26/2015 9:39am
Alright, I'll ask it since nobody else has yet... Was the bear black?
TDeath21
8/26/2015 10:48am

IWreckALot wrote:
You'd look like a real dumb ass if you banged the pots and pans together only to have the bear charge you. Maybe he wasn't a bear expert like you? I'd have gotten a gun and tried to get my dog inside without harming the bear, then kept an eye on him while I alerted authorities. Now if it was attacking my dog, then yeah I'd shoot it.
8/26/2015 11:14am
I don't think it would of been wise to run into the back yard with mama's spaghetti pot and a wooden spoon at that particular instance. I was just trying to make the point that usually bears that age are run off by loud noises and dogs to create a negative association with human contact. Like I wrote earlier I think the homeowner, dog, and bear were all startled and the man did what he thought was best.Unfortunately for him in doing so he violated fish and game laws in his state.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
8/27/2015 5:15am
I would have just put the bear in a choke hold after I got him to sign a release.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
8/27/2015 8:03am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
"rule of thumb"? Either there's a law against it or there isn't.

Sorry for your loss, Jarid. #bearlivesmatter
bear lives do matter!!!

Post a reply to: Man ticketed for shooting bear that fights with dog

The Latest