'Making a Murderer' on Netflix - Thoughts?

DanDunes818
Edited Date/Time 11/15/2022 11:22pm

Man, I have never been so enraged watching a documentary series in my life.

Description of Netflix's 'Making a Murderer' from NY Times.

"In 2003, Steven Avery, a Wisconsin man who had served 18 years in prison for sexual assault, was exonerated through DNA evidence. The victim in the original crime apologized to Mr. Avery and a state bill devised to minimize such wrongful convictions took his name. The high-profile case became a calling card for the Wisconsin Innocence Project, a local version of the national nonprofit devoted to helping those wrongly accused.

Two years later, he was arrested again and charged with a new crime: murder. Despite Mr. Avery’s claims that he was being framed by officials because of his $36 million dollar lawsuit against county officials over his previous conviction, he was found guilty and is now serving a life sentence."

Oh my god, if you haven't watched this, turn it on now. Be warned, you may fuck up your flat screen TV when you throw your remote at it while being more mad at the world than ever before. Look, I know police can be dirty, I know bad shit happens to good people and I know a lot of wrongly convicted people made some bad moves to put themselves in shitty spots, but this is downright the dirtiest set of circumstances I've ever witnessed. Granted, the story is told from an angle of two filmmakers who obviously see things a certain way, but facts are facts. These facts will have your stomach turning while trying to figure out how you can help two guys with IQ's combined that don't equal the guy at McDonalds asking you, "do you want fries with that?"

I just turned it off after binge watching four episodes with the wife. We just could not take it any more and agreed to calm down and reconvene tomorrow evening for episode 5. What's funny is, I got my wife into it after I watched episode 1 alone. After she caught up watching episode 1 and after reading some articles, my wife was leaning towards Steven Avery being guilty of the murder. Now after four episodes, she's more mad than I.

Anyways, check out this series. If you already have, what do you think?

|
jamma10
12/21/2015 6:31am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 6:35am
I was only flicking through Netflix yesterday looking for stuff to watch over Christmas and thought it looked interesting.

At first glance I assumed it was a dramatisation, like Narcos. Is it more of a documentary?
DanDunes818
12/21/2015 10:16am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 10:20am
jamma10 wrote:
I was only flicking through Netflix yesterday looking for stuff to watch over Christmas and thought it looked interesting. At first glance I assumed it was...
I was only flicking through Netflix yesterday looking for stuff to watch over Christmas and thought it looked interesting.

At first glance I assumed it was a dramatisation, like Narcos. Is it more of a documentary?
Yeah, It's a documentary. No narration, though. it's 100% done with interviews, real life news reports and real court room coverage. It is one of those stranger than fiction deals. Way stranger than fiction. If it was fiction people would be leaving the theatre thinking, that was too far fetched. Haha.. It's 100% real, though.
ocscottie
12/21/2015 10:23am
Hey Dan, I am a crime drama fanatic! I watch all those wild docu's and Forensic Files is one of my all time fav shows.

I just swapped out Hulu for Netflix for a couple months since i had seen pretty much everything on Netflix. BUT, i found episode 1 of this online just now. Gonna check it out!

https://youtu.be/34M2zdLc-2U

btw: January ill be going back to Netflix when House of Card starts a new season.
KTMShane699
12/21/2015 1:25pm
Watching this now. It's pretty interesting stuff. Reminds me of watching The Jinx on HBO.

I'm only one episode in, but definitely seems like some shitty work on the prosecution side from the police up.

Shane

The Shop

12/21/2015 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 1:48pm
I thought house of cards was due march 24? if it's bumped up to January sweet.

God I wanna say I watched something with thE same guy but later was found that he actually did do the rapingetc etc. wish I could rememeber where the hell I watched that...
KMC440
12/21/2015 2:24pm
Spin is spin ... Teresa will never be able to tell her story. No I won't watch the program it happened 25min from my place and the billboards, jumbotron asking for information at the Packer games, news and trial coverage was enough for me.
DanDunes818
12/21/2015 2:24pm
I thought house of cards was due march 24? if it's bumped up to January sweet. God I wanna say I watched something with thE same...
I thought house of cards was due march 24? if it's bumped up to January sweet.

God I wanna say I watched something with thE same guy but later was found that he actually did do the rapingetc etc. wish I could rememeber where the hell I watched that...
Georgie, Steven Avery was completely exonerated of the rape through new DNA testing. Not only did they prove through DNA that it wasn't him, they got a hit on a guy that was serving time for a different rape. Not only that, they prove that the cops knew all along that it was this Gregory Allen guy that did it originally and hid that. If you watch, you will see why the police did this. Crazy, now i'm 99.9% sure they have now stepped it up to frame this poor sap for murder. If this shit was fiction it would be too out there to believe.

Scottie, like you, I love crime stuff as well. I used to love Forensic Files, but have since moved away from the re-enactment shows like FF. I think First 48 is my favorite.
DanDunes818
12/21/2015 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 2:32pm
KMC440 wrote:
Spin is spin ... Teresa will never be able to tell her story. No I won't watch the program it happened 25min from my place and...
Spin is spin ... Teresa will never be able to tell her story. No I won't watch the program it happened 25min from my place and the billboards, jumbotron asking for information at the Packer games, news and trial coverage was enough for me.
Man, you more than anyone needs to watch this. I promise you, even someone like yourself that has a pre-formed opinion, will be made to think. And, think hard. You are the guy I want to hear from after seeing this more than anyone.

Also, I don't believe this is a spin is spin deal. This film makers knew nobody going into it. Unlike all the players, they had no agenda. Just two Columbia University film students. The story is told through interviews and facts. Before I turned this on I was definitely thinking this man killed her. I am now 99.999999999999% that there is zero chance. What they did to that 16 year old kid is the most criminal thing I've ever seen. I predict both will be out of prison.

Obviously Teresa is a true victim, but they need to figure out who killed her. It was not the two people in prison. Since watching it I spent all day online researching the people on the "side of justice" and there is not a more corrupt group in this world.
12/21/2015 8:25pm
Well what I watched made the exonerated guy look like a dirtbag. I'm gonna a watch this side of it now.
12/21/2015 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2015 10:11pm
It was a 20/20 report. Or 60 minutes. But after the report I felt like he was a scumbag.

After the second episode of this series I feel like this guy had some serious bad luck and was getting screwed hard. It's easy to say after a third stop and she isn't making any more calls or anything then you gotta say you think it would be him especially with the car being at his salvage yard.
Hut
12/21/2015 10:47pm
We are starting ep 5 now and we want throat punch some cheeseheads. Angry
motosmith
12/22/2015 8:41am
I'm not finished with the series yet I think I'm on 4 or 5.

The two detectives that questioned that 16 year old kid should be sent to prison. If that wasn't a forced confession I don't know what is. He wrote the true story on a piece of paper and the dude tells him to change it. I wanted to punch the TV.

How can they even question a minor without a guardian or an attorney present? I thought questioning a minor was illegal but I guess I'm wrong.
DanDunes818
12/22/2015 10:10am
motosmith wrote:
I'm not finished with the series yet I think I'm on 4 or 5. The two detectives that questioned that 16 year old kid should be...
I'm not finished with the series yet I think I'm on 4 or 5.

The two detectives that questioned that 16 year old kid should be sent to prison. If that wasn't a forced confession I don't know what is. He wrote the true story on a piece of paper and the dude tells him to change it. I wanted to punch the TV.

How can they even question a minor without a guardian or an attorney present? I thought questioning a minor was illegal but I guess I'm wrong.
The treatment and frame up of Brendan is by far the worst. Oh my god, his lawyer, Len Whatever, should be in prison. By the end, there's so many things like that, that you know are are illegal, and you simply lose all faith in our criminal justice system. At the very least, you know you never want to so much as drive through Wisconsin for fear you get pulled over. I've never had emotions like the ones I had while watching that show. The wife and I binged last night and got through episode 9.

What's sad is, lets say they believe Brendan's BS coerced confession (which, like you, I believe his original story) how the hell does he end up with that much time.

What's even more sad, I believe it was Brenden's older brother, Bobby Dassey, that did it. I think Bobby and possibly that dude their mom was dating, did it. Either way, this is a sick display of bully justice and I'm hoping this series gains incredible traction so millions watch and raise hell. I'm not saying Avery is a great guy, but his crimes in life pale in comparison to those cops, lawyers and judges.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
12/22/2015 11:51am
Agree with KMC, haven't watched it but read and seen enough when it happened near me. The guy has a sick past from torturing animals to moving up the chain. The cops might be dirty but he's dirtier...
TailSoHard
12/22/2015 12:27pm
Watched the first episode last night and got hooked, am gonna watch a couple more tonight...
KTMShane699
12/22/2015 12:31pm
yak651 wrote:
Agree with KMC, haven't watched it but read and seen enough when it happened near me. The guy has a sick past from torturing animals to...
Agree with KMC, haven't watched it but read and seen enough when it happened near me. The guy has a sick past from torturing animals to moving up the chain. The cops might be dirty but he's dirtier...
So evidence and inconsistencies don't matter? I get that he wasn't a great guy. But adopting the mentality of the cops being "dirty but he's dirtier" is a slippery slope. Basically if someone isn't an upstanding guy, the police can simply put the guy up for the crime utilizing any means they want.

I get there's a slant to the series. I'm also aware there's things we don't know. But watching some of the interview footage and seeing the way they went about it, there's no way the police are clean. The entire case (even if Avery is guilty) is tainted. My personal feeling is the guy didn't do it. Did he do some other shitty things in his life? Absolutely. But he was cleared of the rape they put on him...and now they go after a murder for the guy? The whole case is beyond strange and the way certain players weave in and out is not coincidental.

Shane
DanDunes818
12/22/2015 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2015 1:06pm
yak651 wrote:
Agree with KMC, haven't watched it but read and seen enough when it happened near me. The guy has a sick past from torturing animals to...
This is exactly why our justice system succeeds at doing what they did to Steve Avery and keeps happening to many many many more people.. This mentality, i'm sorry, is literally the entire problem with the system. I'm sorry, but Steve's past crimes and especially Brendan's past crimes (NONE) pale in comparison to the police, lawyers and judge in this case. I hope you don't find yourself or any of your family in the middle of any case in your area.
Old-Man
12/22/2015 3:08pm
Jaw dropping moment is when Stevens attorney went to look at the evidence from the rape case and most of it was missing and the blood vial had been what looked like a needle hole in the lid. The red tape was also cut
KTMShane699
12/22/2015 3:13pm
Old-Man wrote:
Jaw dropping moment is when Stevens attorney went to look at the evidence from the rape case and most of it was missing and the blood...
Jaw dropping moment is when Stevens attorney went to look at the evidence from the rape case and most of it was missing and the blood vial had been what looked like a needle hole in the lid. The red tape was also cut
According to some, details like that don't matter. He was a piece of shit so if that's what it took to get a conviction, so be it.

I still can't believe they convicted the guy. He wasn't without his issues, but I don't see how he did this crime.

Shane
DanDunes818
12/22/2015 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2015 4:31pm
Old-Man wrote:
Jaw dropping moment is when Stevens attorney went to look at the evidence from the rape case and most of it was missing and the blood...
Yeah, that was incredible, almost as incredible as the judge still allowing the evidence. Those jaw dropping moments just keep on coming, and coming, and coming.

The biggest one for me is when Sergeant Colborn called dispatch and asks who that license plate # was for. Finds out it's Teresa's and says, "It's a '99 Toyota Rav 4" days before it was discovered on Avery's property. To me, that and Sergeant Colborn reaction to it on the stand left no doubt he had found the car that day and was reading the plate off of it. I wanted to jump through the TV and sock him in the face when he said, "I didn't say '99 Rav 4, she did". They lie so much, they have no issue doing it as you listen to real evidence. CRAZY!!
Hut
12/22/2015 5:54pm
Old-Man wrote:
Yeah, that was incredible, almost as incredible as the judge still allowing the evidence. Those jaw dropping moments just keep on coming, and coming, and coming...
Yeah, that was incredible, almost as incredible as the judge still allowing the evidence. Those jaw dropping moments just keep on coming, and coming, and coming.

The biggest one for me is when Sergeant Colborn called dispatch and asks who that license plate # was for. Finds out it's Teresa's and says, "It's a '99 Toyota Rav 4" days before it was discovered on Avery's property. To me, that and Sergeant Colborn reaction to it on the stand left no doubt he had found the car that day and was reading the plate off of it. I wanted to jump through the TV and sock him in the face when he said, "I didn't say '99 Rav 4, she did". They lie so much, they have no issue doing it as you listen to real evidence. CRAZY!!
The whole thing is just so unbelievable, it's crazy that such things could take place in the USA.
Old-Man
12/23/2015 1:50pm
Had a feeling not everything was being told I mean how could two people( Moira Demos and Laura Ricciardi) http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/making-a-murderer-directors-on-steven-av… get every single detail?

After watching it I'm left with more questions then answers. I bet I could fill a page here with all the questions I have. With that I'm not sure who did it Could have been Steven and Brendan and it couldn't have. At any rate my thoughts and Prayers go out to the Parents of Theresa.
Just way to Bizarre that it happened twice to this guy who already spent time for doing something he didn't do.

Did find myself with anxiety while trying to sleep trying to think this thing through and still do, just too many unanswered questions
Old-Man
12/23/2015 1:56pm
The treatment and frame up of Brendan is by far the worst. Oh my god, his lawyer, Len Whatever, should be in prison. By the end...
The treatment and frame up of Brendan is by far the worst. Oh my god, his lawyer, Len Whatever, should be in prison. By the end, there's so many things like that, that you know are are illegal, and you simply lose all faith in our criminal justice system. At the very least, you know you never want to so much as drive through Wisconsin for fear you get pulled over. I've never had emotions like the ones I had while watching that show. The wife and I binged last night and got through episode 9.

What's sad is, lets say they believe Brendan's BS coerced confession (which, like you, I believe his original story) how the hell does he end up with that much time.

What's even more sad, I believe it was Brenden's older brother, Bobby Dassey, that did it. I think Bobby and possibly that dude their mom was dating, did it. Either way, this is a sick display of bully justice and I'm hoping this series gains incredible traction so millions watch and raise hell. I'm not saying Avery is a great guy, but his crimes in life pale in comparison to those cops, lawyers and judges.
"I'm hoping this series gains incredible traction so millions watch and raise hell."

Looks like it has
https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-free-steven-ave…

Guess if anything I would like to see a retrial to answer the many questions that are left out.
12/23/2015 3:12pm
Old-Man wrote:
Yeah I just got to that bit, really shocking stuff!

jamma10
12/23/2015 4:28pm
Old-Man wrote:
Yeah I just got to that bit, really shocking stuff!

Same, just finished watching that episode this evening. It's fascinating.
Nighttrain
12/23/2015 8:05pm
Thanks for the heads up about this show. I heard Joe Rogan talking about "Soaked in Bleach" which is another I want to check out on Netflix.
12/23/2015 8:27pm
Old-Man wrote:
Ok no more spoilers lol !
Old-Man
12/23/2015 8:45pm
Old-Man wrote:
Ok no more spoilers lol !
Sorry, you won't hear anymore from me on the subject

Just finished watching Concussion with Will Smith, this movie is by far the best i've seen in a long time. Will Smith is genius. should get a Oscar. If you're a fan of the NFL you need to watch this.
duckonquack
12/23/2015 10:25pm
I can literally see hear my parents yelling at the tv. im on the loft right now and they are watching it downstairs
markit
12/24/2015 7:38am
Just did some electrical work for one of our higher up SO officers, there nothing liiike there Wi leo's, i wouldnt want to live there.LOL I'm on ep. 3 so far but have to say the evidence in this case looks bad for SA at this point. BTW thanks for making me reup my nf.Smile

Post a reply to: 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix - Thoughts?

The Latest