Low-key cheap insurance companies?

Edited Date/Time 4/2/2014 2:12pm
Hey y'all, so I was just informed of this company called American modern insurance company based in cincinatti that does motorcycle and a few other types of insurance policies. Long story short, I'm currently paying $275 a year for my motorcycle policy through geico for 1 year and the quote I got with American modern was only $90! And yes the coverage amounts were all the same.
Does anyone know of a similar company that offers auto insurance that is typically cheaper than the "big name" companies? I'm paying $700 a year for just liability on my beater 06 chevy colorado...
|
SEE ARE125
4/1/2014 5:53pm
I'd be leery of the no-name low cost insurance companies. I did towing when I was younger and people who had "cheap" insurance were constantly complaining about how shitty their insurance company was handling the situation. Wouldn't answer the phone, couldn't make a claim, people were waiting forever to get paid for damages, most are here today gone tomorrow with the same shady people opening up under a different business name. Yes, if you get pulled over you're "legal," but if you need them for whatever reason they may or may not be there. You may think it's fine if you're just getting liability, but if they don't pay the people you hit, you're getting sued. You get what you pay for. I'd stick with a big name company or an independent local company who is backed by a big name company. JMO.
4/1/2014 6:58pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I'd be leery of the no-name low cost insurance companies. I did towing when I was younger and people who had "cheap" insurance were constantly complaining...
I'd be leery of the no-name low cost insurance companies. I did towing when I was younger and people who had "cheap" insurance were constantly complaining about how shitty their insurance company was handling the situation. Wouldn't answer the phone, couldn't make a claim, people were waiting forever to get paid for damages, most are here today gone tomorrow with the same shady people opening up under a different business name. Yes, if you get pulled over you're "legal," but if you need them for whatever reason they may or may not be there. You may think it's fine if you're just getting liability, but if they don't pay the people you hit, you're getting sued. You get what you pay for. I'd stick with a big name company or an independent local company who is backed by a big name company. JMO.
Thats like that american modern company, its owned/backed by geico. I just don't understand how it could be so much cheaper.
newmann
4/1/2014 7:35pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
I'd be leery of the no-name low cost insurance companies. I did towing when I was younger and people who had "cheap" insurance were constantly complaining...
I would have said the same a few years ago myself. But lately the big name insurance companies have grown tired of the shitty little insurance companies cutting into their profits and are now offering up the same shitty service as the off the wall ones. Ask a local State Farm agent if things are the same as they were a couple years ago. Shittiest claims handling I've seen lately. If you choose to pick the repair shop of your choice (as outlined in your policy) they will punish your ass and make you wait. Currently takes them a full week to come look at a customers car after a claim is filed. Had one recently that took two weeks. Then they refused to pay to properly repair their insured vehicle until we started climbing the food chain.

Had a vandalism claim on my motorhome and State Farm tells me the Samsung TV's and Sony stereo that were stolen were not covered because it's a Volvo Motorhome. That's how stupid they are , they think Volvo makes televisions. It's just a Volvo chassis with a Silver Crown/Pony Express motorhome conversion and my agent was provided a build sheet when we insured the thing. Dumb stuff.....
SEE ARE125
4/1/2014 8:40pm
newmann wrote:
I would have said the same a few years ago myself. But lately the big name insurance companies have grown tired of the shitty little insurance...
I would have said the same a few years ago myself. But lately the big name insurance companies have grown tired of the shitty little insurance companies cutting into their profits and are now offering up the same shitty service as the off the wall ones. Ask a local State Farm agent if things are the same as they were a couple years ago. Shittiest claims handling I've seen lately. If you choose to pick the repair shop of your choice (as outlined in your policy) they will punish your ass and make you wait. Currently takes them a full week to come look at a customers car after a claim is filed. Had one recently that took two weeks. Then they refused to pay to properly repair their insured vehicle until we started climbing the food chain.

Had a vandalism claim on my motorhome and State Farm tells me the Samsung TV's and Sony stereo that were stolen were not covered because it's a Volvo Motorhome. That's how stupid they are , they think Volvo makes televisions. It's just a Volvo chassis with a Silver Crown/Pony Express motorhome conversion and my agent was provided a build sheet when we insured the thing. Dumb stuff.....
It's been about 5 years since I was towing, but did it for nearly 10 years. At that time they still didn't like the customer choosing their own body shop. Always hassled them into taking it to "their" shop. I always made sure the customer knew they could take it wherever they chose. Most people aren't thinking clearly during such a traumatic time, and I always tried to explain everything in depth to them so they would have a better understanding and be able to make a choice on their own. Insurance companies also tried to con them into having me tow the car to the car owner's house(obvious attempt to avoid storage charges), and I always told the customer "They're trying to avoid storage charges. They'll usually settle faster if this cars being charged for storage because they want to get out as cheap as possible. If it's sitting at your house who knows how long before they settle up. Besides, do you want to look at this wreck every morning when you wake up and look out the window?" lol Lotta tactics they use knowing the customer is an emotional wreck(no pun intended).

The Shop

APLMAN99
4/2/2014 6:44am
Unless you have a good relationship with a local agent (which has value), I'd look into Ameriprise through Costco. As a former owner of an insurance agency, I'm fairly critical of service levels when it comes to insurance. I've never had any problems with Ameriprise in any situation, whether adding my kids, changing vehicles, getting quotes, or making claims. The rates are really, really low compared to every other insurance company I've received quotes from, also.

My only issue with them is they don't do motorcycles, so we insure our 3 bikes (road) through Geico.
Titan1
4/2/2014 10:48am
I insure my dirt bikes through Auto Owners Insurance...I'd have to double check, but I'm sure I pay less than $100/year...and the ONE claim I've ever had to make, they were amazing.

I'm not sure if they do business in your state (I'd be surprised if they didn't), but if they do, you'll have to call a local independent agent to get signed up...
Rooster
4/2/2014 2:12pm
Find an insurance company that does their own underwriting.

My insurance rates dropped in half when I found a company that managed it's own risk and wasn't just reselling a policy that was underwritten by somebody else.

Post a reply to: Low-key cheap insurance companies?

The Latest