Legendary Cheapskates

TerryB
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 9:52am
We all have known, (or maybe you are), a frugal. Penny wise. A tightwad. Let's talk!

I know a guy who is so cheap, he re-uses coffee grounds and filters. He digs everything out through the little hole in vacuum cleaner bags, and re-uses them. Those are just a couple of examples. He has plenty of money, and buys a huge new SUV every couple years.

My wife and I were making coffee this morning, discussing how strong her coffee is, (I rarely drink coffee, but expect and enjoy a strong cup when I do). It reminded me of this guy, and how his coffee is, well... see-through.
|
brogge
2/26/2012 9:03am
I know a wealthy NYC lawyer that maintains an estate in upstate NY. He used to lease a pickup truck to keep on the property for general maintenance, but he hated having to pay full coverage insurance on it.

So the next truck he just bought outright with cash ($28k) so he could put just basic liability insurance on it and save $400/year.

Of course he also smashed it up into a deer, so he had to pay full pop for that repair bill, but hey, he saved $400 that year on car insurance!
jndmx
2/26/2012 10:11am
I watched that the other night.

That's disgusting.
Nielsen277
2/26/2012 10:41am
My parents regularly re-use grounds and filters haha.

My dad is the biggest cheapskate I know. He owns his own business and makes pretty good money. We don't have cable or a dish washer. We use the clothes drier probably once a month. He ONLY buys offbrand food that's been reduced in price. He goes through everyone else's trash in the house to make sure we aren't throwing away anything "valuable." he buys all of his clothes from the Goodwill. Everyday for lunch he eats 1 $1 Checker burger.

I get that he wants to retire soon, though.
2/26/2012 12:02pm
Rich people tend to be cheap. That's how they got to be rich. I have a friend with tons of money, but he drives crappy old trucks that break down all the time. I mean pieces of shit most would never be caught driving except to the scrapyard.

I once worked in a massive multi-line dealership run by a wealthy family. Once the owner's wife was walking through the showroom and she got all excited because she found a penny. These people are multi-millionares. But I could tell she was really glowing from finding this penny.

The Shop

mxb2
2/26/2012 12:11pm
Yea all the 2 stroke dudes that are well off, and buy used 2 strokes LOL!
fcr
2/26/2012 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2012 8:14pm
I hate cheapskates, especially when they leave you with a bill at dinner and never put in the proper amount. I can't say how many times I have been stuck with not enough during a split bill with others. They always leave before it's payed.
My father in-law is the worst.
borg
2/26/2012 9:43pm
How do you know you're living next to cheapskate?
Toilet paper hanging on the clothesline.

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to certain things. A 1 lb box of drywall screws at Depot is like 6 bucks. Fuck that. I'll buy the 25 lb pail for 35 bucks. I also sneak my own beer onto the golf course. I'm done with Starter tennis shoes though. The soles split out out within 2 months. I go to Big 5 now and get the reduced price stuff. LA Gear mostly. My favorite cheapout is tomato cages. They want like 25 bucks for a decent tomato cage. I buy the 6" x 6" concrete reenforcing mesh. It comes in a 4' x 7' sheet. Just roll it into a tube and wire it together. 8 bucks and it works way better than the high dollar cages. They're just too small for Beefsteaks or Better Boy tomatoes.
JustMX
2/27/2012 5:18am
brogge wrote:
I know a wealthy NYC lawyer that maintains an estate in upstate NY. He used to lease a pickup truck to keep on the property for...
I know a wealthy NYC lawyer that maintains an estate in upstate NY. He used to lease a pickup truck to keep on the property for general maintenance, but he hated having to pay full coverage insurance on it.

So the next truck he just bought outright with cash ($28k) so he could put just basic liability insurance on it and save $400/year.

Of course he also smashed it up into a deer, so he had to pay full pop for that repair bill, but hey, he saved $400 that year on car insurance!
That isn't cheap, that is merely assuming the risk. and having confidence in his driving ability,

If it hadn't been for a deer he would have come out ahead in the long run.

Cheap would be him buying a $500 mid 70's chevy or ford, and using it in NYC.
JustMX
2/27/2012 5:24am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 5:26am
If you really want to see thriftyness, look at somebody that struggled through the depression.

When my grandfather died he had 4, five gallon buckets of nails in his garage.

3 were nails that he had straightened, the other was full of bent nails that he hadn't had a chance to get finished.
Racer92
2/27/2012 6:47am
JustMX wrote:
If you really want to see thriftyness, look at somebody that struggled through the depression. When my grandfather died he had 4, five gallon buckets of...
If you really want to see thriftyness, look at somebody that struggled through the depression.

When my grandfather died he had 4, five gallon buckets of nails in his garage.

3 were nails that he had straightened, the other was full of bent nails that he hadn't had a chance to get finished.
You dont have to lived the Depression to have that mindset. Many of us have gone thru truly dire situations that caused us to view things different than those who never went through that sort of thing. When you come from nothing, everything in life is moving up.
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2789th
2/27/2012 6:55am
Yea.My parents are not cheapskates.. They do pull stuff out of the garbage. Lawn mowers, tables, chairs. My dad has jars full of nuts and bolts.. They are deffinitly penny pinchers, but they dont short people, useally the first one to say they will pay for dinner is my father..
pitbike502
2/27/2012 9:35am
JustMX wrote:
That isn't cheap, that is merely assuming the risk. and having confidence in his driving ability, If it hadn't been for a deer he would have...
That isn't cheap, that is merely assuming the risk. and having confidence in his driving ability,

If it hadn't been for a deer he would have come out ahead in the long run.

Cheap would be him buying a $500 mid 70's chevy or ford, and using it in NYC.
thats not cheap, thats smart ! i hate driving through the city in my truck, its a battlefield.
fcr
2/27/2012 9:52am
I come from a family of pack rats that learned from the depression. They were thrifty, but always pulled their own weight. Cheap is when you let someone else cover you on purpose, you could call the welfare lifer mentality that. You could also say the same about the non tax paying 1%'ers.

Post a reply to: Legendary Cheapskates

The Latest