Knee scope expenses?

FIREfish148
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 9:08am
I know some of you have had your knee(s) scoped and I'm thinking it's going to be highly recommended for me to get it done. I'm just wondering how much I'm going to expect to pay if I have pretty good insurance, or what some of you guys have paid?

I'm reluctant to claim L&I even though I know work aggravated it but I severely jacked my knee up in 2002 and never really dealt with it right.
|
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
4/9/2014 7:14am
I had both of my knees done, they each had a torn meniscus from playing football. I think each surgery was about 12k, but I only paid my deductible which was 6k.
Racer92
4/9/2014 7:30am
Ive had both knees scoped but forget how much I was out of pocket. (both medial meniscus issues) Im sure it was at least 2K or more once the smoked cleared I had to pay. (each) As I recall it was about 10K all total per knee.

I put it off too, but the day came when it just hurt too bad.
4/9/2014 7:52am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 7:53am
I had a torn meniscus repaired two years ago. With good insurance and my wife working for a hospital I think mine was about $900.00 out of pocket. If you have a choice of where you can get it done I would highly recommend Dr. Jason King ahttp://www.opaortho.com/staff/jason-c-king-md.
He has offices at Swedish in Seattle and in Issaquah.

The Shop

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/9/2014 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2014 6:49pm
One recommendation....through my insurance provider I am able to price out and select every portion of a knee surgery..recently priced out a scope to trim up my meniscus. You would be shocked at the price difference from surgery center to surgery center...hospital to hospital...MRI to MRI...ect..ect...

If you plan on doing this price out each part and find the best value. ..
reded
4/9/2014 8:19pm
I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with this at some point. My right knee has an incredible burning sensation in it when I use it as the dominant knee while pushing myself up. I'm not sure if that's meniscus related or not. Ideas anyone?
FIREfish148
4/10/2014 3:24am
Brad460 wrote:
One recommendation....through my insurance provider I am able to price out and select every portion of a knee surgery..recently priced out a scope to trim up...
One recommendation....through my insurance provider I am able to price out and select every portion of a knee surgery..recently priced out a scope to trim up my meniscus. You would be shocked at the price difference from surgery center to surgery center...hospital to hospital...MRI to MRI...ect..ect...

If you plan on doing this price out each part and find the best value. ..
right on ill look into that. thanks.
FIREfish148
4/10/2014 3:30am
reded wrote:
I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with this at some point. My right knee has an incredible burning sensation in it when I...
I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with this at some point. My right knee has an incredible burning sensation in it when I use it as the dominant knee while pushing myself up. I'm not sure if that's meniscus related or not. Ideas anyone?
Yea that's whats happening to my left knee. sometimes when I sit down for extended time and feel discomfort in my left knee I will feel it with my hand and it will actually feel hot . It's either hot or cold.

It's got to the point where i cal only play a single pick up game of basketball before my knees start to give out when I'm slowing down from a full on sprint to do a lay up.
4/10/2014 7:36am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2014 7:37am
reded wrote:
I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with this at some point. My right knee has an incredible burning sensation in it when I...
Yea that's whats happening to my left knee. sometimes when I sit down for extended time and feel discomfort in my left knee I will feel...
Yea that's whats happening to my left knee. sometimes when I sit down for extended time and feel discomfort in my left knee I will feel it with my hand and it will actually feel hot . It's either hot or cold.

It's got to the point where i cal only play a single pick up game of basketball before my knees start to give out when I'm slowing down from a full on sprint to do a lay up.
One thing about knee issues is you can wait on them and see if they get better. Ice and heat, taking it easy for a while. Meniscuses don't really heal (even after surgery) so it is just a matter of tolerance. Strengthening your muscles around it can really help. Have your primary doctor look at it and try the physical therapy route if you can. Mine started locking up and then I couldn't run or squat down without severe pain. My wife was able to diagnose mine in about two minutes by doing some knee tests like this. My Doctor did the same and sent me in for an MRI.

https://youtu.be/uDbhg_bZ0fk
Racer92
4/10/2014 8:59am
Yeah, you can wait and let them *try* to heal, been there done that. Doctors call that the 'conservative treatment' method. It dont work. If you have rough edges and loose pieces that can fall into the meniscus you will have blinding pain hit you when you least expect it and almost hit the floor. Literally felt like an ice pick jammed into my medial knee area. I hobbled around for 2 years nursing one of those and by the time you finally force yourself into the docs office, your other leg is aching and you have back issues also from walking incorrectly,
4/10/2014 9:08am
Racer92 wrote:
Yeah, you can wait and let them *try* to heal, been there done that. Doctors call that the 'conservative treatment' method. It dont work. If you...
Yeah, you can wait and let them *try* to heal, been there done that. Doctors call that the 'conservative treatment' method. It dont work. If you have rough edges and loose pieces that can fall into the meniscus you will have blinding pain hit you when you least expect it and almost hit the floor. Literally felt like an ice pick jammed into my medial knee area. I hobbled around for 2 years nursing one of those and by the time you finally force yourself into the docs office, your other leg is aching and you have back issues also from walking incorrectly,
Yeah, but it really is a matter of though of how the tear is (if there is one) I didn't nor couldn't go the conservative route. My knee started locking up when I was redoing my deck in September. On Thanksgiving I tried to play some goof around football and had the on the ground ice pick in the knee pain. But if he is able to play a game of pick up basketball it might be just a horizontal tear that gets sore rather than a flapping around "valve in the cylinder" like you and I had.

Post a reply to: Knee scope expenses?

The Latest