Just about as bad as it gets

scooter5002
http://m.torontosun.com/2017/03/03/driver-trapped-in-overturned-semi-fo…
Happened Friday I guess, can't imagine what went through that poor guy's head for that time. . Probably in light clothing for driving, trapped upside down, caught between the steering wheel and the back of the cab. Hypothermia, internal bleeding maybe, unreal. Saw the wreck in the towing yard Monday morning, and it was one hell of a mess. Looks like the lead trailer broke the fifth wheel off, and crushed the cab.

Drive that road once a week, know the area, and it was a shitshow last Monday night. 300 miles of snow and ice, and it was probably worse Friday night. Familiar with the road, it commands respect on the best of days, went past the scene last night, going the opposite way. A long steep downhill, on the engine brake holding back 70 ton, and the last 30 mph curve, before relatively straight road for the rest of the ride into Vancouver. He barely started the turn, and it went straight on him. Right through the Jersey barrier, and down I don't know how far. Talked to another driver from the company last night, leaves behind a wife and two young daughters. Brutal.
|
TXDirt
3/7/2017 11:03am
Sucks to hear. Wonder if he was an independent trucker or working for a trucking company. If for a company, surprised no GPS locator on trucks. To have a driver and cargo missing for two days is strange.
scooter5002
3/7/2017 12:14pm
Company driver, no satellites I guess, although this may make them rethink that. I have a cel based GPS in my truck, does nothing but show location. Dispatch always knows where I am, as long as it works. Huh Out here there are stretches where there is no service, but at least my last position is on record, and if there's an issue, the absence will be noticed. Unless of course, it's after Friday at 5, until Monday 7am.
KMC440
3/7/2017 3:38pm
Rest in Peace driver... sincere condolences to the family. There isn't any product in that box that needs to get there worth risking anyone's life.

Just sad...

Be safe over there Scooter.
JPT
3/9/2017 12:07pm
That is rough to hear.

Post a reply to: Just about as bad as it gets

The Latest