Jules Binachi incident.. ...

munsch121
Edited Date/Time 10/11/2014 1:42pm
OK I love F1. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on how this incident could have been avoided. Aside from possible driver error or not yielding to the local yellow ( which IMO can never be contained with rule changes, if the driver or track personnel is I injured or killed as a result of breaking said rule, what good was the rule ) there seems to be 2 strong opinions on how this accident, more important the brain injury, could have been avoided.

1. Enclosed cockpits- Now the Felipe Massa situation, absolutely. Bianchi ? Not so fast.....the brain injury he has been said to have isn't necessarily the result of his head hitting the loader but more how rapidly he and his car decelerated in relation to his brain....which could mean if he was in an enclosed cockpit result may have been the same. Sure a blow to the head is the most common cause of this, but not always so this may or may not be effective. It wouldn't protect a track worker now would it ?

2. Dangerous conditions- This is a sport that races in nearly any possible road race conditions, I can't say darkness was or was not an issue because I watched on TV, but the wet is part is just the playing field. I for one have seen F1 race in much worse conditions. With the 2 hour time limit I would think simply starting the entire day an hour earlier could eliminate any possibility of darkness issues.

MY OPINION.- I haven't read this anywhere....In a sport with so much technology, so many brilliant people, brilliant safety measure like no refueling, the post-Senna cockpit designs...they have all created a sport in which 4 wheeled fighter jets navigate a track in the safest manner possible. WHY IN GODS NAME do they see it safe and standard practice to send track workers and machinery out to clean up accidents without a full coarse caution ? It just seems so obvious and eliminates ANY POSSIBLE DANGER especially in this situation. Full coarse caution leaves this race with EXACTLY the same result with one exception, Jules Bianchi finishes the race and isn't even a topic of conversation.

Jules Bianchi is in a fight for his life, looking at a long road to recovery at best but the disturbing part is this is the best possible result of what happen ! We could be mourning 3+ track workers also losing their lives along with 1 OR MORE drivers.

Its not 1970 anymore, the FIA needs to take more steps to put the way they run races on the same level as the technology that builds their race cars. I blame one thing for what happen and that's the lack of a full course caution.
|
Homey55
10/8/2014 2:32pm
From what I saw, it looked like the tractor should not have been there. They are supposed to be on the other side of the barrier. I agree with you, it all comes down to skipping out on the full course caution.

The cars are designed to run in dry and wet conditions so I don't think they need to call the races if it's raining
newmann
10/8/2014 2:41pm
Did I not see green flags and lights just before impact?
hillbilly
10/8/2014 2:43pm
The unreliability or the KERS systems ,kenetic energy recovery ,used on the brakes could have caused the crash.

With the rain getting heavy at the time and seeing many of KERS fail sending cars off track in other races, as one brake grabs more ,this could easily been what put him off as the car got on top of the water. I'd like to see them get rid of that green tree hugger crap and back to v8 or v12 with no ERS .

indy_maico
10/8/2014 3:52pm
munsch121 wrote:
OK I love F1. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on how this incident could have been avoided. Aside from possible driver error or not yielding...
OK I love F1. I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on how this incident could have been avoided. Aside from possible driver error or not yielding to the local yellow ( which IMO can never be contained with rule changes, if the driver or track personnel is I injured or killed as a result of breaking said rule, what good was the rule ) there seems to be 2 strong opinions on how this accident, more important the brain injury, could have been avoided.

1. Enclosed cockpits- Now the Felipe Massa situation, absolutely. Bianchi ? Not so fast.....the brain injury he has been said to have isn't necessarily the result of his head hitting the loader but more how rapidly he and his car decelerated in relation to his brain....which could mean if he was in an enclosed cockpit result may have been the same. Sure a blow to the head is the most common cause of this, but not always so this may or may not be effective. It wouldn't protect a track worker now would it ?

2. Dangerous conditions- This is a sport that races in nearly any possible road race conditions, I can't say darkness was or was not an issue because I watched on TV, but the wet is part is just the playing field. I for one have seen F1 race in much worse conditions. With the 2 hour time limit I would think simply starting the entire day an hour earlier could eliminate any possibility of darkness issues.

MY OPINION.- I haven't read this anywhere....In a sport with so much technology, so many brilliant people, brilliant safety measure like no refueling, the post-Senna cockpit designs...they have all created a sport in which 4 wheeled fighter jets navigate a track in the safest manner possible. WHY IN GODS NAME do they see it safe and standard practice to send track workers and machinery out to clean up accidents without a full coarse caution ? It just seems so obvious and eliminates ANY POSSIBLE DANGER especially in this situation. Full coarse caution leaves this race with EXACTLY the same result with one exception, Jules Bianchi finishes the race and isn't even a topic of conversation.

Jules Bianchi is in a fight for his life, looking at a long road to recovery at best but the disturbing part is this is the best possible result of what happen ! We could be mourning 3+ track workers also losing their lives along with 1 OR MORE drivers.

Its not 1970 anymore, the FIA needs to take more steps to put the way they run races on the same level as the technology that builds their race cars. I blame one thing for what happen and that's the lack of a full course caution.
I don't think an enclosed cockpit would have done much good.

You saw how the roll hoop sheared off. That thing is bolted and bonded to the tub.

If you had a fighter-jet type canopy like people are calling for that has to be easily removable to get the driver in and out of the car, it would be just as removable when submarining under a front-loader.

The Shop

10/8/2014 9:29pm
hillbilly wrote:
The unreliability or the KERS systems ,kenetic energy recovery ,used on the brakes could have caused the crash. With the rain getting heavy at the time...
The unreliability or the KERS systems ,kenetic energy recovery ,used on the brakes could have caused the crash.

With the rain getting heavy at the time and seeing many of KERS fail sending cars off track in other races, as one brake grabs more ,this could easily been what put him off as the car got on top of the water. I'd like to see them get rid of that green tree hugger crap and back to v8 or v12 with no ERS .

Interesting point - haven't heard this angle before.
hillbilly
10/9/2014 10:02am
hillbilly wrote:
The unreliability or the KERS systems ,kenetic energy recovery ,used on the brakes could have caused the crash. With the rain getting heavy at the time...

TripleFive wrote:
Interesting point - haven't heard this angle before.
The KERS has put Hamilton out twice,the one time he was knocked goofy from hitting the wall.

In this past race Hamilton Forgot to raise the wing after a DRS zone and ran wide with the rotor glowing white hot. What if that wing return button fails at some track with little run off and the failing car collects another one slowing on enter,the crash could be horrendous if the car touches wheels right and lauches.

All these gadgets they use could go really wrong. Hell,the large storage capacitors could have made it deadly for corner workers after that crash just trying to get him out.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/9/2014 11:47am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2014 11:48am
Honestly, they're going to have to revisit the wet race rules; it may be an issue like others F1 has had to address at times and reject what's been done in the past for the sake of safety. If it's bad enough that the safety car has to come out multiple times because the track was too wet, including at the time of the accident (and not because of the accident at that point from what I understood), and they had suspended the race once at least, maybe it's not a day to put the machines on the track as demanding as they are with how catastrophic the consequences can be.

It's not like it was a seasonal rain storm; there was a typhoon. And the FIA had asked the organizer if it wanted to reschedule; if there was concern about the viability of the race economically because of the conditions and concerns about spectator turnout, it seems like the driver safety would have been even more paramount a concern.

Not monday morning quarterbacking, just that sometimes things like this force people to rethink how they do things, and the fault wouldn't so much be what happened, but not doing anything about it going forward if there's consensus that a better decision could have been made.

You have to imagine the drivers' association is going to weigh in on this.
hillbilly
10/9/2014 5:26pm
With the KERS brakes if a rotor fails it automatically locks the rear wheels,which is what sent Hamilton off a few races back. With all the rain something could a shorted out ,his carwas spinning a lot like Hamilton cars was. Maybe they can salvage enuff of the car and figure it out if there was a failure.

Post a reply to: Jules Binachi incident.. ...

The Latest