Jalapeno issues

Racer92
7/30/2014 7:11pm
Never had any trouble with heat in peppers,,, but looks like that link has lots of good ideas!
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
7/30/2014 7:43pm
Funny, I was just talking about this today. The conversation came up that not many of the Jalapeno's that you buy anymore are hot, especially at a restaurant. I heard that Jalapeno's grown in California and commercially produced are no where near as hot as those we used to get from Mexico. I also noticed that the Jalapenos of late have a lot more flavor, almost a sweet taste. There is definitely a difference from Jalapenos from 3 or 4 years ago.

I have not idea about growing them. I'm Italian, I only grow pretty peppers.

The Shop

borg
7/30/2014 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2014 8:04pm
Funny, I was just talking about this today. The conversation came up that not many of the Jalapeno's that you buy anymore are hot, especially at...
Funny, I was just talking about this today. The conversation came up that not many of the Jalapeno's that you buy anymore are hot, especially at a restaurant. I heard that Jalapeno's grown in California and commercially produced are no where near as hot as those we used to get from Mexico. I also noticed that the Jalapenos of late have a lot more flavor, almost a sweet taste. There is definitely a difference from Jalapenos from 3 or 4 years ago.

I have not idea about growing them. I'm Italian, I only grow pretty peppers.
When I make salsa I have been using store bought peppers. The heat varies quite a bit so the peppers are the last thing I put in. One at a time. I have another batch of tomatoes ready to go. I guess I'll go back to the store bought for now. I haven't tried any this year though.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
7/30/2014 8:31pm
The only thing I know about peppers are the Banana peppers (red, yellow, green). they can get hot as hell. I don't grow them because they are to hot but my mom grows them and makes a few Italian sauces with them. They will burn your hands cutting them up if you don't wear rubber gloves. I would think, if you wanted to grow a hot pepper these are pretty easy to grow. They are pretty consistant as well. I hate to say the yellow ones are the hottest because I have seen some green ones that were unbearable for me. But the red is definitely the most mild.
NorcalVet
7/30/2014 10:27pm
New mexico chili's from the Hatch area are the bomb !!!
--- we buy a bushel or two every year from the same place in the Valley/ Norcal since the 80's

--- my dad use to take us there every year when we were kids
New Mexico Jim's

They roast it for you right there (med-hot)

> just freeze it and place in small ziplocks (then take out when needed)

4stroke4DWIN
7/30/2014 11:43pm
We make salsa quite often around here and lately the jalapeños have been real green tasting lol if that makes since, not hot at all. I did a quarter of a ghost chili in a full blender and it was perfect and that was with 3 jalapeños already in it. I did one batch with an entire ghost chili and I shit you not it was like eating lava!! Needless to say it went in the garbage.
motosmith
7/31/2014 6:37am
borg wrote:
My first time growing jalapenos. I planted from seed in March and the plants are producing but there is no heat. WTF good is that? If...
My first time growing jalapenos. I planted from seed in March and the plants are producing but there is no heat. WTF good is that? If I wanted that I would have planted bell peppers or something. How the hell can you make decent salsa without some bite?
Anybody else grow these? Racer92, got any ideas?
It still early. Give em a month.
Cygnus
7/31/2014 6:48am
This isn't going to be a good year around here for hot chiles. It's been to cool and too much rain. Pueblo chiles are better than Hatch many years. But I may have to buy some Hatch if it doesn't dry out and run 100 degrees for the next month.
Jakes Dad
8/1/2014 3:09am
Substitute with Habanero'sWoohoo , miss my garden. Dadgum wabbits!
borg
8/1/2014 7:49pm
Made another batch today. Went storebought. Nada. No bite at all. WTF?.

How bout them Dodgers?
Nighttrain
8/17/2014 7:23pm
I think you just have a bad batch of plants with those, Borg. I had the same problem with some cayenne plants 2 years ago.

I grow many different types of peppers because they're the things the raccoons and marsh rats leave alone around here. The Carolina Cayenne and Pequin peppers are my favorites. They're good off the plant or sundried for later.
borg
8/17/2014 7:39pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I think you just have a bad batch of plants with those, Borg. I had the same problem with some cayenne plants 2 years ago. I...
I think you just have a bad batch of plants with those, Borg. I had the same problem with some cayenne plants 2 years ago.

I grow many different types of peppers because they're the things the raccoons and marsh rats leave alone around here. The Carolina Cayenne and Pequin peppers are my favorites. They're good off the plant or sundried for later.
You may be right. I started from seed so maybe I should find a better seed supplier. I'm wondering if part of my problem is sandy soil. This shit drains fast and I was not watering every day.

Well, more research and experimenting. Fun hobby though.
Nighttrain
8/17/2014 8:56pm
borg wrote:
You may be right. I started from seed so maybe I should find a better seed supplier. I'm wondering if part of my problem is sandy...
You may be right. I started from seed so maybe I should find a better seed supplier. I'm wondering if part of my problem is sandy soil. This shit drains fast and I was not watering every day.

Well, more research and experimenting. Fun hobby though.
That link that motokiwi tagged is a good one. It's a sandy coastal area here so I ammend the garden with potting soil and throw in some lime to keep the pH up. That seemed to help a bunch. Good luck.
IWreckALot
8/18/2014 6:12am
motokiwi wrote:
borg wrote:
I'll try cutting back on water and leave them on the plant longer. Thanks.
Uncle Tony wrote:
I grow different types of peppers, I found less water works good, mine are nice and hot, good luck
I've heard that the heat is partly determined by the striations in the pepper's veins. If you water less, the pepper develops more striations and are more spicy. Not sure if there is any truth in that logic but it seems like less water might get the results you're looking for.
No-K
8/18/2014 7:06am
Elk taco's made with onion's and pepper's from the garden.

No-K
8/18/2014 8:10am
Grow some Habanero, Ghost or even Thai peppers to kick things up a notch. I grow 6-7 different types of peppers and dehydrate a bunch to use later or to make chili powders. I'm even gonna smoke some and make my own Paprika this year.

8/18/2014 9:33am
guy at work brought in some seasoning today - not homegrown, but this post made me think of it. Ghost pepper sea salt. Good stuff! plain it's hot as fk, but when put on food, it's not as bad. Very interesting on my chicken and bean dish for lunch.
SEEMEFIRST
8/20/2014 1:12am
Nighttrain wrote:
I think you just have a bad batch of plants with those, Borg. I had the same problem with some cayenne plants 2 years ago. I...

We have variences in ours all the time. 2 plants right next to each other. Same sun, same water...Everything.
One will make peppers that are as mild as a Bell, and the other will peel paint.

Wish I had a better answer.

Post a reply to: Jalapeno issues

The Latest