It's Confederate Memorial Day

Edited Date/Time 5/16/2015 3:02am
Kind of amazing this is still a state -sanctioned holiday in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky.
Hell, they are still flying the CSA flag down at the SC state house. They did finally move it from the top of the dome in 2000.
The CSA was formed, of course, to overthrow the United States of America. It's hard to reconcile this being flown in a modern state capital.
|
5/11/2015 12:57pm
It's even better said in the words of CSA Vice President Stephen Alexander is his famous speech in which he proclaimed the cornerstone of the CSA is "rest[ed] upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth"
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
5/11/2015 7:51pm
Patriots were killed defending our country under that flag, why not celebrate it?
vet323
5/11/2015 8:30pm
Kind of amazing this is still a state -sanctioned holiday in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky. Hell, they are...
Kind of amazing this is still a state -sanctioned holiday in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky.
Hell, they are still flying the CSA flag down at the SC state house. They did finally move it from the top of the dome in 2000.
The CSA was formed, of course, to overthrow the United States of America. It's hard to reconcile this being flown in a modern state capital.
"....to overthrow the United States of America."

What kind of history books did your school have?

The Shop

h&m_cycle
5/11/2015 10:49pm
The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the government and aiding and abetting its enemies. By that definition, every Confederate soldier in the Civil War—as well as every political leader—was a traitor.

But no one was executed for treason, and Confederate President Jefferson Davis was not even tried for the crime.
captmoto
5/11/2015 11:24pm
Sore losers is all. Hell, we nuked Japan twice and they aren't as sore assed as SC and such.
5/12/2015 12:08am
captmoto wrote:
Sore losers is all. Hell, we nuked Japan twice and they aren't as sore assed as SC and such.
Yeah sore losers is all people in the south are. We should just forget about men and women who died on both sides fighting for what they believed was the right cause at the time.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
5/12/2015 5:16am
h&m_cycle wrote:
The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the government and aiding and abetting its enemies. By that definition, every Confederate soldier in the Civil...
The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the government and aiding and abetting its enemies. By that definition, every Confederate soldier in the Civil War—as well as every political leader—was a traitor.

But no one was executed for treason, and Confederate President Jefferson Davis was not even tried for the crime.
So I guess if the government comes and takes all your rights away you'll just lay there and let them do it then?

hillbilly
5/12/2015 5:47am
captmoto wrote:
Yeah sore losers is all people in the south are. We should just forget about men and women who died on both sides fighting for what...
Yeah sore losers is all people in the south are. We should just forget about men and women who died on both sides fighting for what they believed was the right cause at the time.
I will not hold a fifty because who's on it.

The north was not effected like the south,not even close. And the north had more slaves.

I can go a few miles from here to a place called Bulls Gap, Archie Campbell's hometown. And see where these huge embankment were shoveled up to hide cannon for defending that gap. The RR ended at bulls gap and supplies were waggoned thru to the RR at south of greeneville. That stretch didn't get built for a while,it is the steepest on the clinchfield line for a one mile stretch.

I can hear the engines pulling up that grade at night.
racerx221
5/12/2015 8:57am
WeiserGuy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/12/90818/s1200_2015_05_12_11_12_15_565171353.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/12/90819/s1200_10661275_506055849524448_2137926585_n.jpg[/img]

this bros
5/12/2015 9:37am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2015 9:42am
UpTiTe wrote:
Patriots were killed defending our country under that flag, why not celebrate it?
I personally choose not to celebrate it because of its history as pro-slavery symbol. I understand that some people view it as a symbol of their unique heritage and might not necessarily be racists. But some racists, like the KKK are big fans of it.
I'm just glad it's not currently flying over the Capitol in Washington DC, but apparently there are still people that wish it did.
When the South fired on Fort Sumpter it launched the conflict that killed more than a million Americans all said and done and led to immeasurable human suffering on the same dirt I walk today. I view that as a bad thing, even with ancestors that fought for the South a few generations back.
But we live in a country that is still has a national politicians saying the Earth was created 3,000 years ago. I view this as an unenlightened perspective, but that's just me.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
5/12/2015 11:18am
You are as stupid as you are small and weak. You left out Bama we celebrate the holiday.
Fantasy
4478th
5/12/2015 11:24am

Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
5/12/2015 11:28am
Crash82 wrote:
You are as stupid as you are small and weak. You left out Bama we celebrate the holiday.
Go fuck yourself.
Suddenly the Grinch grew 4 feet taller when he got online...
5/12/2015 11:32am
Crash82 wrote:
Go fuck yourself.
Crash82 wrote:
Suddenly the Grinch grew 4 feet taller when he got online...
You appear to be quite the sociopath. Shouldn't you be brushing your tooth or something?
5/12/2015 11:40am
Kind of amazing this is still a state -sanctioned holiday in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky. Hell, they are...
The confederacy was actually formed due to tariffs placed on southern goods combined with unfair trade practices that favored foreign imported goods in an attempt to economically cripple the southern-based industries. If you think it was a "war over slavery" youre an idiot. Northern based media made it a "slavery" issue because most industries that used slave labor were based in southern territories. I can assure you that if the union states had been majority slave-based industries, then the media wouldve had a way different opinion of slavery.
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2015 11:44am
racerx221 wrote:
stars and bars

I always liked that song even though I am from the North (although ancestors didn't come to America until 1901, long after the war). For some reason it just made me wonder where the name "Dixie" came from (article also talks about the song):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie

Origin of the name

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origins of this nickname remain obscure. According to A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles (1951), by Mitford M. Mathews, three theories most commonly attempt to explain the term:

1. The word "Dixie" refers to privately issued currency originally from the Citizens State Bank (located in the French Quarter of New Orleans) and then other banks in Louisiana.[4] These banks issued ten-dollar notes,[5] labeled "Dix", French for "ten", on the reverse side. The notes were known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners, and the area around New Orleans and the French-speaking parts of Louisiana came to be known as "Dixieland". Eventually, usage of the term broadened to refer to the Southern states in general.

2. The word preserves the name of a "Mr. Dixy", a slave owner on Manhattan Island, where slavery was legal until 1827 (see History of slavery in New York). His rule was so kind that "Dixy's Land" became famed far and wide as an elysium abounding in material comforts.

3. "Dixie" derives from Jeremiah Dixon, a surveyor of the Mason-Dixon line which defined the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, and, for the most part, free and slave states. (Delaware, a Union border state, and slave state up to the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment, lay north and east of the survey line.)
5/12/2015 11:43am
vet323 wrote:
"....to overthrow the United States of America."

What kind of history books did your school have?
People are too stupid to research things on their own. Why bother when you can devour a delicious bowl of propaganda- spoonfed right to your mouth by the media.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
5/12/2015 11:48am
The confederacy was actually formed due to tariffs placed on southern goods combined with unfair trade practices that favored foreign imported goods in an attempt to...
The confederacy was actually formed due to tariffs placed on southern goods combined with unfair trade practices that favored foreign imported goods in an attempt to economically cripple the southern-based industries. If you think it was a "war over slavery" youre an idiot. Northern based media made it a "slavery" issue because most industries that used slave labor were based in southern territories. I can assure you that if the union states had been majority slave-based industries, then the media wouldve had a way different opinion of slavery.
One tiny PeePee is a midget, his brain is small along with everything else, he is a certified bad ass on the internets though.
5/12/2015 11:52am
The confederacy was actually formed due to tariffs placed on southern goods combined with unfair trade practices that favored foreign imported goods in an attempt to...
It's astounding to me the lengths people will go to support their own world view, is all I can say. Of course it was over slavery. There are economic dimensions to the conflict because the South enjoyed a massive free labor force of slaves while the North was industrialized. And Southern Democrats in Congress had repeatedly lowered tariffs in the decades leading up to the war.
Slavery and free labor were central to the tariff issue, but hundreds of thousands of Americans didn't slaughter each other over a tariff dispute.
5/12/2015 11:53am
Crash82 wrote:
One tiny PeePee is a midget, his brain is small along with everything else, he is a certified bad ass on the internets though.
Good God man you bring a nice fourth grade recess level of discourse to the conversation.
racerx221
5/12/2015 12:05pm
racerx221 wrote:
stars and bars

I always liked that song even though I am from the North (although ancestors didn't come to America until 1901, long after the war). For some...
I always liked that song even though I am from the North (although ancestors didn't come to America until 1901, long after the war). For some reason it just made me wonder where the name "Dixie" came from (article also talks about the song):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie

Origin of the name

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the origins of this nickname remain obscure. According to A Dictionary of Americanisms on Historical Principles (1951), by Mitford M. Mathews, three theories most commonly attempt to explain the term:

1. The word "Dixie" refers to privately issued currency originally from the Citizens State Bank (located in the French Quarter of New Orleans) and then other banks in Louisiana.[4] These banks issued ten-dollar notes,[5] labeled "Dix", French for "ten", on the reverse side. The notes were known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners, and the area around New Orleans and the French-speaking parts of Louisiana came to be known as "Dixieland". Eventually, usage of the term broadened to refer to the Southern states in general.

2. The word preserves the name of a "Mr. Dixy", a slave owner on Manhattan Island, where slavery was legal until 1827 (see History of slavery in New York). His rule was so kind that "Dixy's Land" became famed far and wide as an elysium abounding in material comforts.

3. "Dixie" derives from Jeremiah Dixon, a surveyor of the Mason-Dixon line which defined the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, and, for the most part, free and slave states. (Delaware, a Union border state, and slave state up to the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment, lay north and east of the survey line.)
I love history. more so moto history but any history will do, oh and ladies. I love me some ladies.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
5/12/2015 12:19pm
Crash82 wrote:
Good God man you bring a nice fourth grade recess level of discourse to the conversation.
You got small man syndrome written all over you, it explains everything. I bet you need a milk crate to get into your Prius....
JM485
5/12/2015 1:09pm
I think it's important to view this in the contest of the time period, something most people today seem unable to do. The issue of the civil war was not necessarily slavery itself, but the effects its abolishment would have on the south and their way of life. Picture it this way, image that the very thing your economy and way of life depended upon was under attack from a government that felt very differently than you did, and the threat to you and your family's livelihood was very real. My guess is you would probably be very angry and prepared to fight for what you believed in, regardless of how it is perceived in our modern times and way of thinking. It was incredible to me going through school how every history book I read did its best to demonize the south and make the people of the time seem like pure savages. The fact remains that slaves and share croppers were not always subjected to the brutal living conditions and horrific treatment that people are led to believe, and many actually led comfortable lives. The re-writing of history to fit an agenda is a very real problem, and not many kids are smart enough to realize a lot of what they read is just political propaganda in textbook form. In no way am I condoning this type of economy nor am I saying what was done in the past was right, but when viewed in the context of history the flag does not represent what it is made out to be, so I don't see any issue with remembering its story and heritage.

Just my sole opinion, yours will likely differ.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
5/12/2015 1:20pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I personally choose not to celebrate it because of its history as pro-slavery symbol. I understand that some people view it as a symbol of their...
I personally choose not to celebrate it because of its history as pro-slavery symbol. I understand that some people view it as a symbol of their unique heritage and might not necessarily be racists. But some racists, like the KKK are big fans of it.
I'm just glad it's not currently flying over the Capitol in Washington DC, but apparently there are still people that wish it did.
When the South fired on Fort Sumpter it launched the conflict that killed more than a million Americans all said and done and led to immeasurable human suffering on the same dirt I walk today. I view that as a bad thing, even with ancestors that fought for the South a few generations back.
But we live in a country that is still has a national politicians saying the Earth was created 3,000 years ago. I view this as an unenlightened perspective, but that's just me.
Its not a pro slavery flag, 90% of the soldiers who faught in the war owned slaves and around 5% of them were blacks.

Is the kkk fans of it? You'll be hard pressed to find an old picture of the kkk with that flag flying. The new kkk, the idiots that believe in nothing has exploited it, but they've taken up the swastika too and they don't stand for anything.
5/12/2015 2:16pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Its not a pro slavery flag, 90% of the soldiers who faught in the war owned slaves and around 5% of them were blacks. Is the...
Its not a pro slavery flag, 90% of the soldiers who faught in the war owned slaves and around 5% of them were blacks.

Is the kkk fans of it? You'll be hard pressed to find an old picture of the kkk with that flag flying. The new kkk, the idiots that believe in nothing has exploited it, but they've taken up the swastika too and they don't stand for anything.
The actual percentage was more like 5% of southerners owned 95% of slaves it was a very small number. Also plantation owners with a certain size plantation were exempt from confederate drafts, and if they were not large enough a $300 fee could be paid to avoid being drafted.
5/12/2015 2:48pm
That 5% number sounds very low. Here's the first states that seceded and how many slaveowners they had by family. It also shows you percentage of population that were slaves, which was highest for Alabama in 1860 at 45%:

South Carolina December 20, 1860. percentage of families that owned slaves: 46%
Mississippi January 9, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves: 49%
Florida January 10, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves 34%
Alabama January 11, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves; 35%
Georgia January 19, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves; 37%
Louisiana January 26, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves 29%
Texas February 1, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves: 28%
Virginia April 17, 1861 percentage of families that owned slaves: 26%

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_census.html

Post a reply to: It's Confederate Memorial Day

The Latest