Is anyone involved in their communities. If so how....?

Clutchy
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 7:44pm
Honest question... anyone go to board of supervisor meetings,. Volunteer work for the homeless in your area. Anything at all. Doesn't seem like anyone is really involved anymore.. curious and if not why... ? anyone know how your city spends it's money..?
|
Idaho747
2/15/2015 12:58pm
Clutchy wrote:
Honest question... anyone go to board of supervisor meetings,. Volunteer work for the homeless in your area. Anything at all. Doesn't seem like anyone is really...
Honest question... anyone go to board of supervisor meetings,. Volunteer work for the homeless in your area. Anything at all. Doesn't seem like anyone is really involved anymore.. curious and if not why... ? anyone know how your city spends it's money..?
My wife and I help out with a group called the bonnevile youth development council. It's a program designed to keep teens off of drug and alcohol. And educate them on the negative effects.
Old-Man
2/15/2015 1:40pm
Intresting...I used to do alot with our community back in Delta, Ohio (Very small town) But now that we moved to the big city where nobody knows few... we haven't given it a thought.

Just doesn't have that small town feel I guess.

But all my neighbors seem to know where to go to get their cars worked on or borrow tools, mend fences...ect.. so I guess I do in a way.
Thinking about it more, I bet I have changed more brakes while living here in 15 years than in Ohio for 35
Sandberm
2/15/2015 6:54pm
On the 25th of this month my wife is going to to go down to The Mission and feed the homeless. Last week we were watching the news and they reported the police had shot and killed a mentally disturbed guy.

I turned to her and said, "Well, that's one less guy you have to feed". She didn't find me funny.
500guy
2/15/2015 7:37pm
I wouldn't mind being involved in City Government but then I see all the stupid shit they do and know I would last 30 seconds or less in that system.

besides for some donations, myself and some friends Feed the homeless the third Wednesday of every month. We go to a large group home and get their roaster pans and make 3 big pots of stew, buy salad , dressing and some sort of juice prepare everything and deliver it to them for dinner.

it sounds like a bigger deal then it is but at least it's something.

The Shop

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
2/15/2015 7:39pm
I want to get in a little bit better shape and try to volunteer for the local fire department. I had to go and get certification for industrial fire brigade for work. Although I am in the Army and supposed to be in decent shape, fire fighting takes a lot of physical effort and mental ability. The fire fighting training was tough, but fun.

I have also done habitat for humanity before when I went to school to be an electrician.
Skippie
2/15/2015 9:44pm
Am I the only one who doesn't feel bad for the homeless? All the bums around me are roached from years of drug use and have put themselves in the position they are in.
71Fish
2/15/2015 9:50pm
I used to, a lot. Mainly for selfish reasons (poosy) but I was still doing something. In the past 10 years I really haven't done anything. Where I work now serves lunch at the local mission every month. I'll probably start getting involved with that.

My wife does a lot. She earned the Presidential Volunteer award, or whatever it is called for volunteering over 250 hour in a year.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
2/15/2015 9:54pm
I take lots of food to animal shelters.. Also take pit bulls from kill shelters and house them and love them until i find a loving home for them.
71Fish
2/15/2015 10:01pm
imoto34 wrote:
I take lots of food to animal shelters.. Also take pit bulls from kill shelters and house them and love them until i find a loving...
I take lots of food to animal shelters.. Also take pit bulls from kill shelters and house them and love them until i find a loving home for them.
That's nice, I have a buddy who fosters pits as well.

Our dog, a McNab Border Collie was supposed to be foster from the vet clinic where my wife works, but we both fell in love with her.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
2/15/2015 10:44pm
Skippie wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't feel bad for the homeless? All the bums around me are roached from years of drug use and have...
Am I the only one who doesn't feel bad for the homeless? All the bums around me are roached from years of drug use and have put themselves in the position they are in.
No, I pretty much have the same thoughts. There are homeless people that need help, but the druggies and panhandlers upset me. If you have enough time to write up a sign, go and get help from homeless shelter to get cleaned up and get a job. Maybe I have watched Intervention too much and seen the people who pan handle for drugs.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
2/16/2015 12:27am
i used to own a motorcycle shop and we held up to 10 community fundraising events for local charity's in the area, i think the best year we had we raised over $150000 for local schools and community groups, used to run trail rides and fun day motocrossers in crop paddocks,
Clutchy
2/16/2015 12:40am
500guy wrote:
I wouldn't mind being involved in City Government but then I see all the stupid shit they do and know I would last 30 seconds or...
I wouldn't mind being involved in City Government but then I see all the stupid shit they do and know I would last 30 seconds or less in that system.

besides for some donations, myself and some friends Feed the homeless the third Wednesday of every month. We go to a large group home and get their roaster pans and make 3 big pots of stew, buy salad , dressing and some sort of juice prepare everything and deliver it to them for dinner.

it sounds like a bigger deal then it is but at least it's something.
That's actually awesome Jay.... Cool stuff. Way to give back and not look down on people mentally and or physically weaker then you...
Clutchy
2/16/2015 12:48am
I've been intrigued for a while how upset people can get over the homeless. But allow their local city managers and local gov's to bleed their cities dry.. Piss on the weak. Just a heads up... There's not a job for everyone...? not even at 10 hrs a wk. not even close. but who cares. lol. better luck next time. AWSOMENESS
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
2/16/2015 1:39am
Not really upset at the homeless, but I will not give money to a guy with a sign on the road or in the metro station. I know life throws you lemons sometimes, but I think there is always a way to find work unless you are an addict. Drug addicts have resources to get better if they act on them.
500guy
2/16/2015 7:37am
Skippie wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't feel bad for the homeless? All the bums around me are roached from years of drug use and have...
I have a fairly large homeless and mentally Ill population that walk by my shop every day, in some ways I hate that they are out there but in other way's a person needs some compassion

from just an observation over the last 30 yrs most of these folks have real mental issues and this is how our society and government deals with them.
2/16/2015 7:55am
I am a member of the CERT group here in Jax. I'm also my neighborhood watch coordinator. We give money every month to our local homeless shelter, and a local battered women's shelter. We also support a little girl named Lucia that lives in Mexico. I feel like I'm bragging bringing this stuff up, but you asked. That leads me to say that I would not be doing this without God's Holy Spirit directing me. I used to be a selfish person by nature, but for the most part, God has removed that old nature and replaced it with something better. Glory to Him, not me.
Clutchy
2/16/2015 8:49am
500guy wrote:
I have a fairly large homeless and mentally Ill population that walk by my shop every day, in some ways I hate that they are out...
I have a fairly large homeless and mentally Ill population that walk by my shop every day, in some ways I hate that they are out there but in other way's a person needs some compassion

from just an observation over the last 30 yrs most of these folks have real mental issues and this is how our society and government deals with them.
That's where im going with this.
Clutchy
2/16/2015 8:52am
I am a member of the CERT group here in Jax. I'm also my neighborhood watch coordinator. We give money every month to our local homeless...
I am a member of the CERT group here in Jax. I'm also my neighborhood watch coordinator. We give money every month to our local homeless shelter, and a local battered women's shelter. We also support a little girl named Lucia that lives in Mexico. I feel like I'm bragging bringing this stuff up, but you asked. That leads me to say that I would not be doing this without God's Holy Spirit directing me. I used to be a selfish person by nature, but for the most part, God has removed that old nature and replaced it with something better. Glory to Him, not me.
Not taken as boasting... At all. Very cool. as a member of the human race... thank you for caring about your species.
Skippie
2/16/2015 9:11am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 9:12am
Clutchy wrote:
I've been intrigued for a while how upset people can get over the homeless. But allow their local city managers and local gov's to bleed their...
I've been intrigued for a while how upset people can get over the homeless. But allow their local city managers and local gov's to bleed their cities dry.. Piss on the weak. Just a heads up... There's not a job for everyone...? not even at 10 hrs a wk. not even close. but who cares. lol. better luck next time. AWSOMENESS
At least in my area, people aren't homeless for lack of a job. It's not like we're in some 3rd world country. It's poor life decisions and 99% of the time drug abuse that is put them in the state I'm in. I've always thought why should I spend my hard earned money and time from my life, for someone who obviously didn't care enough about there's?
2/16/2015 9:30am
Clutchy wrote:
Not taken as boasting... At all. Very cool. as a member of the human race... thank you for caring about your species.
What a classy response, Clutchy. You're welcome, and thank you too!
Clutchy
2/16/2015 10:50am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 10:51am
Skippie wrote:
At least in my area, people aren't homeless for lack of a job. It's not like we're in some 3rd world country. It's poor life decisions...
At least in my area, people aren't homeless for lack of a job. It's not like we're in some 3rd world country. It's poor life decisions and 99% of the time drug abuse that is put them in the state I'm in. I've always thought why should I spend my hard earned money and time from my life, for someone who obviously didn't care enough about there's?
And it's your right not to care..... No one should ever be made to do something they don't feel in their heart to do, nor should you be judged for it either. You believe in your heart that what you think is right and how you feel about the human spirit is tied to what they do for work.
2/16/2015 11:49am
I've worked in downtown LA I can tell you a large percentage of the homeless here are unfit to work. The majority of them are mentally ill and have no one who cares enough about them to help them. Most of the people who are too lazy to work are smart enough to navigate the social services to get housing, food, cell phones ect.
Clutchy
2/16/2015 12:28pm
I've worked in downtown LA I can tell you a large percentage of the homeless here are unfit to work. The majority of them are mentally...
I've worked in downtown LA I can tell you a large percentage of the homeless here are unfit to work. The majority of them are mentally ill and have no one who cares enough about them to help them. Most of the people who are too lazy to work are smart enough to navigate the social services to get housing, food, cell phones ect.
DING DING DING... winner winner chicken dinner. That sounds about right. So whats the long term if something doesn't change.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/16/2015 6:04pm
We pick up all the donations from places like Costco and others and deliver it to the wildlife rehab centers every week since high school, I'm in my 40's now.
2/16/2015 6:50pm
At least 8 or 10 times a year I wake up real early in the morning, head out with a dozen or so plastic trash bags and pick up roadside garbage and parking lots of riding areas, parks, etc in my town and neighborhood. Not sure why but seeing bottles, cans, and trash on the side of the road just pisses me off to no end. The only reason I do it is so I don't have to look at it. Never asked anyone for any help but might not be a bad idea to enlist local boy scout troops or other civic organizations.
Clutchy
2/16/2015 7:31pm
Social media seems to just be separating us more.
2/17/2015 8:51am
Homeless people come in all shapes and sizes and reasons. What blows me away is that the majority of homeless people in DC are morbidly obese. I mean, how the fuck does that even happen? It might be because they get fed a lot of cheap fast food.

There is one guy always begging in the city and one day I offered to buy him 5 Guys for lunch. He says "nah....I don't want all that grease." I told him he can't be picky and he said "sure i can. It's my body." I guess he has a point. I saw some people jump out of their car to give him their leftovers and he yells out "Ask her if it's got pork. I'm Muslim and I can't eat swine." It's hilarious how picky this guy is.
I've seen people begging with an Ipod on and smoking a cigarette. No shame in the world.
Clutchy
2/17/2015 12:02pm
Homeless people come in all shapes and sizes and reasons. What blows me away is that the majority of homeless people in DC are morbidly obese...
Homeless people come in all shapes and sizes and reasons. What blows me away is that the majority of homeless people in DC are morbidly obese. I mean, how the fuck does that even happen? It might be because they get fed a lot of cheap fast food.

There is one guy always begging in the city and one day I offered to buy him 5 Guys for lunch. He says "nah....I don't want all that grease." I told him he can't be picky and he said "sure i can. It's my body." I guess he has a point. I saw some people jump out of their car to give him their leftovers and he yells out "Ask her if it's got pork. I'm Muslim and I can't eat swine." It's hilarious how picky this guy is.
I've seen people begging with an Ipod on and smoking a cigarette. No shame in the world.
I agree but that's the exception not the rule. I honestly believe that's what some of us want to see. and how we want to see it, because it allows us to replace compassion with animosity and to no longer see them as people but as a nuisance. WHY....
Huevos
2/17/2015 9:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2015 9:28pm
Not a scout leader, but I do help out with the camping trips and certain merit badges (Aviation, Weather, and First Aid). ***Cue the gay scout leader jokes. Other than that, I'm more of a menace to society than a helping hand.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/18/2015 4:59am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2015 5:02am
I volunteer at the homeless shelter and help with a carnival yhere twice a year for the kids. My company organizes charter events where volunteers can plant trees and we pick one school a year to paint and landscape.

My company also does matching fund fund raisers for clubs, homeschool groups and local schools that meet the criteria. In the past couple months we did one for a local highschool wrestling team a bmx track and a homeschool golf team.

I'm a firm believer in puting back into the community that is providing you a living.

After reading this it seems like I'm braging, not trying to, just want other to see what you can do.

Post a reply to: Is anyone involved in their communities. If so how....?

The Latest