Is anyone here a fire fighter?

logan_140
Was going to go to school for nursing and do travel nursing with my gf but she decided she wants to take a different road and do cosmetology (which is ok). I haven't been in school just been working full time for Coke as a merchandiser but I really need to start getting a career together (im turning 21 in august). Being a fire fighter has always interested me, I love helping people and doing thing for the community etc.. i was just wondering if anyone had some input on how it is and how they like they're job? Thanks guys.
|
logan_140
6/19/2017 4:37pm
I should note as well that I was going to go to criminal justice school and be a police officer but after all the stories of cops being shot for alledegedly just wearing their badge that turned me away.
Knoby
6/19/2017 4:40pm
Yes. Not me though. He pushes papers around at RacerX. He'll probably give you some good advice
6/19/2017 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 4:45pm
Are you sure you don't want to go the travel nursing route? The school and test are a nightmare, but I could do this job until I retire at 65. a lot of fire fighters end up waiting for a very long time before they line up work. My wife and I are travel nurses and are loving it.
logan_140
6/19/2017 4:49pm
Are you sure you don't want to go the travel nursing route? The school and test are a nightmare, but I could do this job until...
Are you sure you don't want to go the travel nursing route? The school and test are a nightmare, but I could do this job until I retire at 65. a lot of fire fighters end up waiting for a very long time before they line up work. My wife and I are travel nurses and are loving it.
That's what I really wanted to do. Wanted to eventually buy a toy hauler and just live in that and bring my bikes with. But I don't want to go that route by myself. If she wanted to I would be in nursing school right now.

The Shop

TXDirt
6/19/2017 5:50pm
Consider a paramedic. It ain't easy though. But don't be discouraged from being a LFO. By and large LFO's are very respected and treated well despite what you hear on the news. Always wanted to be a Texas State Trooper myself.

Figure out what YOU want to do and then go for it!!
rhargrave431
6/19/2017 5:50pm
My goal was to become a firefighter. Did the EMT thing, and got accepted into Paramedic school. Becoming a firefighter is extremely difficult. My advisor who is one, explained it to me like everyone wants to become a hero or a public figure. Everyone wants the flashing lights and sirens. Because of this, demand is extremely low as is pay. Comparatively a nurse and a paramedic have a close scope of work and school is very close. The main difference is Nurses make double the money, and there are a million open jobs in the country right now. So I switched over to nursing instead.
MR. X
6/19/2017 5:52pm
My father was a volunteer for a long time ,he had certificates to be an EMT and worked on an ambulance crew for a short time before he got sick . He was certified in auto extraction as well. He always had the most gruesome stories ,people being liquefied while changing a flat on the thruway ,skin missing off their entire head (no seatbelt) people who shot themselves in the face ,blowing fingers off with explosives , trudging through frozen water looking for an infant from a rollover accident . I give those guys a ton of respect ,you never know what you'll roll up on.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/19/2017 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2017 6:44pm
Great people. Great job. My dad did both EMT/firefighter (currently know some RN's who do both), through the department, started before I was born. So, I got to see all sides.

At the end of the day, it's still dangerous. See my fathers day post, here in non-moto.
logan_140
6/19/2017 6:47pm
TXDirt wrote:
Consider a paramedic. It ain't easy though. But don't be discouraged from being a LFO. By and large LFO's are very respected and treated well despite...
Consider a paramedic. It ain't easy though. But don't be discouraged from being a LFO. By and large LFO's are very respected and treated well despite what you hear on the news. Always wanted to be a Texas State Trooper myself.

I still really really want to be a cop (a lot of my family had been in law enforcement). But I just can't justify having a target on my back just for the badge I'm wearing.. not to mention police are so underpaid. (I guess as is any first responder which is sad).
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
6/19/2017 7:43pm
I was a fireman EMT for a while when I was young and single. Worked on a paid volunteer department in a county department. I was certified as a pump operator and Hurst Tool extractions, went to the State Fire Academy and was certified in rope rescue. Loved every minute of it. Worked with a lot of great people.

Fought everything from grass fires and chimney fires to fully involved residences and commercial buildings. Lot's of squad calls, MVA's and mutual aid with other departments.

Some of the hardest parts of the job was living in a relatively small community and covering a large county, many calls for assistance were for people you knew casually or even personally. Saw a lot of horrific things.

I thought I would make it my career but opportunities arose, that in retrospect, I am glad I took but always miss that rush I felt when my pager went off and I would tear out to my car and turn on lights and siren to go help people in need.
GD2
Fantasy
1081st
6/19/2017 7:44pm
TXDirt wrote:
Consider a paramedic. It ain't easy though. But don't be discouraged from being a LFO. By and large LFO's are very respected and treated well despite...

Ha. One guy I know that's a few years ahead of me (he graduated college last year, same major as me but different school) got hired by the Troopers right after he graduated. He's in Odessa right now, and even though he's only been there for six-ish months, he already has some crazy stories.
JPT
6/19/2017 8:02pm
My youngest son has 17 years in with the City of Denver. Three years prior to that as a Hot Shot. Denver lends him out to a Wildlands crew during the Summer where he's qualified as a HECUM. He works hard but the schedule allows him time to do the things he likes and he's planning to retire as a fairly young man. He likes to help people but has admitted to me seeing people hurt all the time, especially kids, wears him down.

Guess I'm saying if you're willing to put in the effort it can be an interesting and fulfilling life, but it's not to be taken lightly.
6/19/2017 8:10pm
logan_140 wrote:
That's what I really wanted to do. Wanted to eventually buy a toy hauler and just live in that and bring my bikes with. But I...
That's what I really wanted to do. Wanted to eventually buy a toy hauler and just live in that and bring my bikes with. But I don't want to go that route by myself. If she wanted to I would be in nursing school right now.
That's exactly what we are doing. We are living in a camper on a family member's property and I'm getting a lot of tax free income because I'm a traveler. The benefits of nursing compared to medic are insane. I would really reconsider if I were you. I don't know if I would recommend both going to nursing school at the same time though. You would probably end up breaking up.

I've worked in Missouri and California and they both don't treat their medics very good. A lot of medics out here get a second job at in n out burger because they make roughly the same amount of money.

I would really shoot for nursing school. I'm doing really good on just an associate's degree.
Ebs
6/19/2017 10:50pm
Strictly for the career options and earnings potential and current levels of demand I would look at the nursing route.
TXDirt
6/20/2017 4:37am
LEOs can make good money if you are in a bigger/Nicer well to do city. Neighbor friend used to be a LEO in Louisiana and was making crap for money. Moved up here and he is a LEO in McKinney Tx and makes very good money. Shocking really for a LEO. So he makes good money and works in a pretty nice and safe city.

And being a EMT is probably more difficult from a training perspective then Firefighter and LEO. EMTs are the only ones other then MDs who can administer narcotics to someone. Perhaps this varies state by state. My brother was an EMT in Denver many years ago and said it was harder then graduating college lol

If you want to go the nursing route look into becoming a radiology tech. They make decent money especially as more and more things are computerized.
JRT812
6/20/2017 5:48am
Personally, I have zero experience within the field, but I have a few family friends who work in the field. A plus appears the working the schedule. It allows ample amount of time to work a second job to earn extra income. With that being said, both firefighters I know make more money working as sub contractors in construction, which they consider as their secondary job.

One of our family friends who is a retired fire chief in Chattanooga appears to have made a decent living, but he too earned the majority of his income from sub contracting when he was younger and owning rentals. As with any job, he talked about politics play a major factor for advancement within the field.

Good luck with your adventure.
logan_140
6/20/2017 6:16am
What I really wish I could find is an apprenticeship of some sort to kind of avoid the college debt. My dad knows a guy that works for Lakeland electric down here and they have apprenticeship programs which I am very interested in (lineman work) but I have not had any luck getting in yet.
IWreckALot
6/20/2017 6:42am
Dang man. You're all over the place. If you have the smarts for nursing, my advice would be to follow that path. My wife is a nurse and she's making life really easy on me. She is going to school now to be an NP. The ceiling is REALLY high and you get lots of raises real quick as a nurse.

There is a huge gap in police pay where I'm at. One town starts at $60k and another starts at $40k. The difference in the two is one requires a college degree and the other doesn't. Get your degree in anything really and more doors are open than without a degree. But don't get a useless degree.
logan_140
6/20/2017 6:58am
IWreckALot wrote:
Dang man. You're all over the place. If you have the smarts for nursing, my advice would be to follow that path. My wife is a...
Dang man. You're all over the place. If you have the smarts for nursing, my advice would be to follow that path. My wife is a nurse and she's making life really easy on me. She is going to school now to be an NP. The ceiling is REALLY high and you get lots of raises real quick as a nurse.

There is a huge gap in police pay where I'm at. One town starts at $60k and another starts at $40k. The difference in the two is one requires a college degree and the other doesn't. Get your degree in anything really and more doors are open than without a degree. But don't get a useless degree.
I am all over the place and that's the problem. I can tell you this much I want out of retail/sales asap. The next step at Coke would be an account manager (basically a sales rep) and they only make about 200 more then what I'm making..
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/20/2017 7:25am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2017 11:46am
Who cares what your girlfriend is gonna do, do what you want to do. Its not like she is in charge of your life and I doubt at age 20 that she is the one you would be with down the road. Do what YOU want and a find a chick with the same interest.Wink
Ebs
6/20/2017 7:49am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2017 7:51am
Here's what you do:

Consider what you are naturally good at. What comes easy to you.

Examine what career fields are in demand and pay well.

Figure out the jobs where those two intersect, and decide if any are something you could tolerate doing everday.

It's not the end all be all plan to life, but it's a good starting point. Even if it's not college, definitely persue something that results in some proof of education (license, certificate, apprenticeship program). It's just makes for an easier way to market youself.
yzrider314
6/20/2017 7:51am
TXDirt wrote:

logan_140 wrote:
I still really really want to be a cop (a lot of my family had been in law enforcement). But I just can't justify having a...
I still really really want to be a cop (a lot of my family had been in law enforcement). But I just can't justify having a target on my back just for the badge I'm wearing.. not to mention police are so underpaid. (I guess as is any first responder which is sad).
Having family in Law Enforcement, I'm sure you know there is a lot more to it than the pay and the public image. I also hired in when I was 21 years old, and I was a cop for 10 years before I got hurt riding moto and ultimately had to leave it behind. I will tell you that while there are certain parts of the job I really enjoyed and now miss, I definitely do not miss shift work, working graveyard, being away from home on weekends and holidays, etc. And with people just getting crazier and crazier, I'm glad to be out of it (especially now that I have a 7 month old at home). I honestly think 21 is way too young to enter that line of work. If I could do it all over again, I would have waited a few years. I definitely needed more life experience before jumping into that world. I don't know you, but you seem to have your shit together, so I'm sure you will do well at whatever you choose to pursue.
JPT
6/20/2017 7:55am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2017 7:59am
It doesn't sound to me like you're ready to commit to your life's work yet. Not a knock at all but like lostboy said about women, your tastes and interests can change a lot in the next couple years. Keep your eyes open and your job history clean. Try to learn from every job you do, 50 years ago I was sacking groceries at the local HyVee and learned stuff that it still useful.

An AA from a Community College is not a bad thing regardless of what some may tell you. One great teacher my 1st year lead me to something I did for 23 years.

PS: I am sooo glad I didn't stick with the girl I was banging at 20.
IWreckALot
6/20/2017 8:06am
logan_140 wrote:
I am all over the place and that's the problem. I can tell you this much I want out of retail/sales asap. The next step at...
I am all over the place and that's the problem. I can tell you this much I want out of retail/sales asap. The next step at Coke would be an account manager (basically a sales rep) and they only make about 200 more then what I'm making..
I was a merchandiser for coca cola for about 2 years at your age. I was only part time so I had to carry two other jobs (construction worker and golf course cart boy) just to be able to go to school and pay rent. Those pallets don't get any lighter as the job goes on. But I was in damn good shape at that point in life.

Do you have access to PM me? If so, send me a PM.
logan_140
6/20/2017 8:29am
logan_140 wrote:
I am all over the place and that's the problem. I can tell you this much I want out of retail/sales asap. The next step at...
IWreckALot wrote:
I was a merchandiser for coca cola for about 2 years at your age. I was only part time so I had to carry two other...
I was a merchandiser for coca cola for about 2 years at your age. I was only part time so I had to carry two other jobs (construction worker and golf course cart boy) just to be able to go to school and pay rent. Those pallets don't get any lighter as the job goes on. But I was in damn good shape at that point in life.

Do you have access to PM me? If so, send me a PM.
Pm never works for me on here. Send me an email motokid140@gmail.com . I am a merchandiser as well. Pay sucks compared to what Pepsi makes for doing the same shit
captmoto
6/20/2017 9:59am
Was a career fireman for L.A. County FD, July '1981 to January 2013. It was hard to get into back then. In some parts of the country you will have a better living as a nurse. My department paid well enough and there was enough overtime that I never had a "D" shift job. Most guys that had one eventually gave them up. Our department will put you through paramedic school. The job changed immensely over 30+ years. My academy was 10 weeks, the latest are 16-17 weeks. They cover more stuff now than was even considered in the 80's.
Something to keep in mind. Your body will take a beating if you are in an active FD. I spent a lot of times in ghetto areas of L.A. County and worked a lot of brush fires. I can recall most of the times I injured myself and some where I didn't realize I was injured until arthritis set in. At 56 years old I had 3 bulging discs in my back, some bulging and nerve compression in my neck. Mild rotator tear in one shoulder and a partial slap tear in the other. One knee that is ready for a replacement and an ankle that will be fused before the end of the year. A lot of my peers have already had neck and back fusions, knee and hip replacements and and cardiac issues. Pretty high numbers for the age group.
The job may not be for you can't function without a full nights sleep, are claustrophobic, fear heights, can't stand the sight of blood, question authority or are not real people oriented.
rubarb
6/20/2017 10:50am
Lot of my friends from Huntington Beach I grew up with went the FF route. I strongly considered it at the time, but opted out after watching them struggle. One fried who's daddy was a big time fire chief in Orange County, well lets just say he ended up in Imperial county (f*** that!). I was like no thanks, not sure I want to live in some sh** hole forver. Not to mention all the horror stories of getting sued for performing a tracheotomy on people and breaking their jaw over saving their life.
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
6/20/2017 1:23pm
yzrider314 wrote:
Having family in Law Enforcement, I'm sure you know there is a lot more to it than the pay and the public image. I also hired...
Having family in Law Enforcement, I'm sure you know there is a lot more to it than the pay and the public image. I also hired in when I was 21 years old, and I was a cop for 10 years before I got hurt riding moto and ultimately had to leave it behind. I will tell you that while there are certain parts of the job I really enjoyed and now miss, I definitely do not miss shift work, working graveyard, being away from home on weekends and holidays, etc. And with people just getting crazier and crazier, I'm glad to be out of it (especially now that I have a 7 month old at home). I honestly think 21 is way too young to enter that line of work. If I could do it all over again, I would have waited a few years. I definitely needed more life experience before jumping into that world. I don't know you, but you seem to have your shit together, so I'm sure you will do well at whatever you choose to pursue.
What do you do now, if you don't mind me asking?
yzrider314
6/20/2017 1:44pm
MXant15 wrote:
What do you do now, if you don't mind me asking?
I work in sales. M-F, 8-5 type gig. Definitely a far cry from police work.

Post a reply to: Is anyone here a fire fighter?

The Latest