Inheritance question.

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2015 10:16pm
I know, why ask this on a moto forum? Well I have been talking to these knuckleheads for decades and there is all types that follow moto. Some smart, some not so smart but it will be interesting to hear opinions on this subject. Cool If a guy was to inherit a few million dollars, Blink where is the smartest place to put such funds? Not saying it is me. Cool
|
Harry_Gray
4/22/2015 7:40am
For said person that might (or did) inherit that money; hopefully they contacted a lawyer that deals with estate issues. Once that was done, hopefully that lawyer would get you in the right direction in regards to where to go in regards to investing the money wisely.
4/22/2015 8:24am
I know absolutely nothing but I keep hearing about IRA's being a good low risk investment. Also KTM 350's are a good investment too.

The Shop

A. DLeary
4/22/2015 10:04am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 10:05am
Get a financial advisor and make sure you diversify your funds. I have diversified my money into gold, cash, stocks/bonds and also have a decent amount in emerging foreign markets and a few other areas. The emerging markets are doing the best right now, but these things always fluctuate.

You don't want all your money in one place is my overall advice.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
4/22/2015 10:08am
FLmxer wrote:
I know, why ask this on a moto forum? Well I have been talking to these knuckleheads for decades and there is all types that follow...
I know, why ask this on a moto forum? Well I have been talking to these knuckleheads for decades and there is all types that follow moto. Some smart, some not so smart but it will be interesting to hear opinions on this subject. Cool If a guy was to inherit a few million dollars, Blink where is the smartest place to put such funds? Not saying it is me. Cool
I'll take care of it for you.
4/22/2015 10:09am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 10:09am
Might be a good idea to talk to other people in the "inheritance business". You know the type, the people who make there money the old fashioned way,.............they inherit it!!
newmann
4/22/2015 10:14am
disbanded wrote:
Call a financial advisor...
Proceed with caution choosing one of them.
4/22/2015 10:14am
financial advisors aren't cheap (about + - 3% of money they invest for you).
but any reputable financial company, not your co-workers Uncle Bob, will give you a free session and point in right direction.
APLMAN99
4/22/2015 10:41am
If the person is younger and can be aggressive, then "hiring" an advisor might make good sense. If the person is older and looking more for preservation and income, some basic mutual fund investing is probably the best route and can be done rather inexpensively.
motosmith
4/22/2015 11:05am
I'd put a bunch of money into real estate. That's my personal favorite. Gold is good too.

I've always wondered what athletes do that make 10 million per month. That's a lot of cash to have laying around.
mach6972
4/22/2015 11:30am
A few million isn't enough to sweat.That used to be a lot but those days are long gone.Don't pay anyone for advice,use your own judgment and if you screw it up there's no one to blame but yourself.
IWreckALot
4/22/2015 1:07pm
motosmith wrote:
I'd put a bunch of money into real estate. That's my personal favorite. Gold is good too. I've always wondered what athletes do that make 10...
I'd put a bunch of money into real estate. That's my personal favorite. Gold is good too.

I've always wondered what athletes do that make 10 million per month. That's a lot of cash to have laying around.
Apparently they murder Odin Lloyd. Or hang out in "da club".
borg
4/22/2015 2:33pm
I could tell you to buy tax free munies. But I'm not going to. I can tell you what NOT to do with it though. DO NOT mix it in with your joint accounts with your wife. As long as it stays separate, it's all yours. Once you mix it, it's half hers and she will run off with pool boy she's been fucking.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/22/2015 3:25pm
Thanks guys and yes a financial advisor is the plan of coarse. I have a bunch of rentals already that have been making life easier and I have a pretty diversified account going. This was kind of a surprise after my wives grandmother died recently and left her mother the money but she has really bad dementia and we have power of attorney and just want it to go some place safe for her care really.
4/22/2015 4:23pm
mach6972 wrote:
A few million isn't enough to sweat.That used to be a lot but those days are long gone.Don't pay anyone for advice,use your own judgment and...
A few million isn't enough to sweat.That used to be a lot but those days are long gone.Don't pay anyone for advice,use your own judgment and if you screw it up there's no one to blame but yourself.
That's a really good point. I don't want to derail the thread but each time I got a new job they would talk about all the money you could make with a 401 k but they failed to consider how bad inflation would be. They would talk about having half a million put away for when I'm 65 but that's basically 40 years from now. By then a gallon of gas will be $20.00. I just think any chance of actually retiring isn't much of an option for most people.
Steiny
4/22/2015 4:36pm
FLmxer wrote:
Thanks guys and yes a financial advisor is the plan of coarse. I have a bunch of rentals already that have been making life easier and...
Thanks guys and yes a financial advisor is the plan of coarse. I have a bunch of rentals already that have been making life easier and I have a pretty diversified account going. This was kind of a surprise after my wives grandmother died recently and left her mother the money but she has really bad dementia and we have power of attorney and just want it to go some place safe for her care really.
After your first post I was going to say you have plenty of options, but this changes everything.

Is the money in a trust? If not, you're going to have a hard time doing anything with it until she passes.

The best thing you can do is put it in a safe annuity (preferably owned by a trust) that will fund her care and produces gains. Look forward to this getting messy if the siblings don't agree with what you're doing.

Oh, and this is what I do for a living so if you have any questions, let me know and I'll post my email.
Steiny
4/22/2015 4:38pm
mach6972 wrote:
A few million isn't enough to sweat.That used to be a lot but those days are long gone.Don't pay anyone for advice,use your own judgment and...
That's a really good point. I don't want to derail the thread but each time I got a new job they would talk about all the...
That's a really good point. I don't want to derail the thread but each time I got a new job they would talk about all the money you could make with a 401 k but they failed to consider how bad inflation would be. They would talk about having half a million put away for when I'm 65 but that's basically 40 years from now. By then a gallon of gas will be $20.00. I just think any chance of actually retiring isn't much of an option for most people.
There are plenty of ways to fund your retirement plan outside of a 401k.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/22/2015 5:12pm
FLmxer wrote:
Thanks guys and yes a financial advisor is the plan of coarse. I have a bunch of rentals already that have been making life easier and...
Steiny wrote:
After your first post I was going to say you have plenty of options, but this changes everything. Is the money in a trust? If not...
After your first post I was going to say you have plenty of options, but this changes everything.

Is the money in a trust? If not, you're going to have a hard time doing anything with it until she passes.

The best thing you can do is put it in a safe annuity (preferably owned by a trust) that will fund her care and produces gains. Look forward to this getting messy if the siblings don't agree with what you're doing.

Oh, and this is what I do for a living so if you have any questions, let me know and I'll post my email.
Thank you very much for your help. No siblings and it is in a trust at the moment. The IRS is doing their thing right now. I will look into the annuities.
Steiny
4/22/2015 5:28pm
FLmxer wrote:
Steiny wrote:
After your first post I was going to say you have plenty of options, but this changes everything. Is the money in a trust? If not...

FLmxer wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. No siblings and it is in a trust at the moment. The IRS is doing their thing right now...
Thank you very much for your help. No siblings and it is in a trust at the moment. The IRS is doing their thing right now. I will look into the annuities.
Its only 2 million, the IRS shouldn't be taking a thing.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/22/2015 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 5:58pm
Steiny wrote:

FLmxer wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. No siblings and it is in a trust at the moment. The IRS is doing their thing right now...
Steiny wrote:
Its only 2 million, the IRS shouldn't be taking a thing.
Edit, tmi for here really. Lol
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
4/22/2015 6:52pm
Ha, I was following the bread crumb trail and thought for sure you was the one that ended up with the money at the end of No Country For Old Men.
4/22/2015 7:34pm
Steiny wrote:

^^^

Annuitize it.
APLMAN99
4/22/2015 10:44pm
mach6972 wrote:
That's a really good point. I don't want to derail the thread but each time I got a new job they would talk about all the...
A matching 401K is a great benefit, especially if it's an equal match. Even a 50% match is pretty good. But hopefully you have some control over the types of accounts it gets put into. For a full matching 401K, you basically make 100% on your investment that first year. That's a great return, and the funds they usually use aren't generally the most volatile things out there so there is a bit of a safety factor built in.

If you have access to a matching 401K, I'd contribute up to the matched percentage before investing almost anywhere else.
APLMAN99
4/22/2015 11:17pm
Steiny wrote:

TripleFive wrote:
^^^

Annuitize it.
Buying an annuity contract may be a good idea, but I'd think long and hard before actually annuitizing it. I'd keep it in the "accumulation" stage, even if you never add another penny out of pocket to the account. That way the money grows tax deferred but you still have control over it. Once you choose to annuitize your contract, it's no longer your money and all you have is a promise to pay you installments for a set time or until a certain event (usually death). Annuities themselves can be a great tool, but actually annuitizing them is another story altogether.
Rdubs19
4/23/2015 12:01pm
Hopefully this money is in a trust NOW or you will be severely penetrated on taxes when the time comes. Like the above comment says, annuities are a good option. Annuitizing is basically making a bet with the issuing company about when you will die so I would handle that with a very trusted financial advisor. Obviously be sure your FA has all licenses (series 7, 66, 63 etc.) And preferably has a Chartered Financial Planner designation. Now for what to do, it really depends on your age. For most people the best move is to set up a trust that will keep the money tax free or close to it. 529 college plans, family trusts, etc. You can find money market funds and mutual funds that are intended to be tax free, or preserve capital, or inflation protected, and so on. In practice there are thousands of mutual funds to choose from that you can more or less set and forget, your FA will keep you in the loop when the fund dissolves, reinvesting divs and cap gains or having them pay to something else. My advice: tax sheltered trust and pick a few actively managed mutual funds, index funds and an annuity, so you don't have to worry about getting lucky with one company (extremely rare). Maybe buy something on margin you aren't afraid to lose if you get a wild hair. Hope this helps.

Source: Investment banker (for one more day, then starting a job as an energy trader :-)
4/23/2015 12:49pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
A matching 401K is a great benefit, especially if it's an equal match. Even a 50% match is pretty good. But hopefully you have some control...
A matching 401K is a great benefit, especially if it's an equal match. Even a 50% match is pretty good. But hopefully you have some control over the types of accounts it gets put into. For a full matching 401K, you basically make 100% on your investment that first year. That's a great return, and the funds they usually use aren't generally the most volatile things out there so there is a bit of a safety factor built in.

If you have access to a matching 401K, I'd contribute up to the matched percentage before investing almost anywhere else.
Thanks for the advice. I will once I finish school and make decent money. They give us the option so I will start out with the high risk/high reward option.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
4/23/2015 3:53pm
FLmxer wrote:
I know, why ask this on a moto forum? Well I have been talking to these knuckleheads for decades and there is all types that follow...
I know that it's better to be the inheritor than the inheritee
LaughingLaughingLaughing
CR250Rider
4/23/2015 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2015 4:23pm
Buy houses in markets that are coming back and rent them out. Gain value from appreciation and generates monthly income.

Me personally, I avoid the market as I am convinced it's a racket and fixed.

Post a reply to: Inheritance question.

The Latest