In-N-Out. My burger rant

borg
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2015 4:07pm
I couldn't really call myself a burger connoisseur, probably just a burger snob. Anyway, despite living in In-N-Out central, I've only been there maybe 5 times in the 30 years. I cant deal with the wait. Every now and then I go to INO to see if I'm missing out on something and then it's 4 or 5 more years until I go again. I moved in April and there's an INO close by. It's on the same property as Applebees, Jack In The Box and Chipotle. Applebees is really not a fast food place but I bet it's faster than INO. Anyway I went last week. The car line was probably 15 deep so I walked in. I got lucky because there were only 4 ahead of me. When I got to the front, I turned around and the line was out the door. I got my DD and fries and went home. The burger was ok and the fries were less than ok. I could do another rant on the stupid combo bullshit that all these places push at you but that's for later. I'm not eating a burger for dinner with anything other than beer. It would be immoral. I went to the JITB yesterday and again the car line at INO was about 15 deep. It was 1 deep at JITB. They have a burger that quite frankly craps all over INO. It's the sirloin, swiss and grilled onion. I will be getting my new grill soon and then all of this fast food (or faux fast food) bullshit will end. But it makes me wonder, WTF is the deal here? Why do people flock to wait in line for an average burger.

It's probably my aversion to lines and crowds or it could also be my snobiness.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain
|
5/25/2015 8:19am
I think the demand has something to do with having someone shove a burger in your hand through no greater effort that standing in a line.
Around here it's Chick-Fil-a. They must put crack in that stuff because it's always packed.
vet323
5/25/2015 8:26am
I'm so lucky, there are two bar/grill places within a mile of my work and they both have absolutely awesome burgers and sandwiches (with beer!), and their food is different from each other, too. Fast food joints all get old to me.
Uncle Tony
5/25/2015 8:26am
Maybe in and out should change their name? As it seems like you're always waiting
MR. X
5/25/2015 8:53am
I love a good burger , we dont have any of the restaurants that the OP mentioned except applebees . Right now my favorite burger is the bacon cheeseburger from Texas roadhouse. I actually have some burgers ready to be grilled in the fridge,think ill have a burger for lunch . Thanks borg !

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/25/2015 8:57am
I'm with you, Borg. In-N-Out is extremely overrated. The burgers are simply OK, and their fries are the worst of any I've ever tried.
wildbill
5/25/2015 8:58am
Went to one several years ago and was a bit let down for all the hype. Funny thing is, is that since then, I've eaten way healthier and can't even handle any fast food item now. The excessive salt content is just a hint at the masking of the true healthy ingredients that those joints fail to offer. Raising, growing and feeding and loving your own farm fresh, non synthetic food source really makes this apparent.
newmann
5/25/2015 9:08am
I think the demand has something to do with having someone shove a burger in your hand through no greater effort that standing in a line...
I think the demand has something to do with having someone shove a burger in your hand through no greater effort that standing in a line.
Around here it's Chick-Fil-a. They must put crack in that stuff because it's always packed.
Chik fil a is good but the service is great. Amazing how far a little common fucking courtesy will get you.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/25/2015 10:48am
borg wrote:
I couldn't really call myself a burger connoisseur, probably just a burger snob. Anyway, despite living in In-N-Out central, I've only been there maybe 5 times...
I couldn't really call myself a burger connoisseur, probably just a burger snob. Anyway, despite living in In-N-Out central, I've only been there maybe 5 times in the 30 years. I cant deal with the wait. Every now and then I go to INO to see if I'm missing out on something and then it's 4 or 5 more years until I go again. I moved in April and there's an INO close by. It's on the same property as Applebees, Jack In The Box and Chipotle. Applebees is really not a fast food place but I bet it's faster than INO. Anyway I went last week. The car line was probably 15 deep so I walked in. I got lucky because there were only 4 ahead of me. When I got to the front, I turned around and the line was out the door. I got my DD and fries and went home. The burger was ok and the fries were less than ok. I could do another rant on the stupid combo bullshit that all these places push at you but that's for later. I'm not eating a burger for dinner with anything other than beer. It would be immoral. I went to the JITB yesterday and again the car line at INO was about 15 deep. It was 1 deep at JITB. They have a burger that quite frankly craps all over INO. It's the sirloin, swiss and grilled onion. I will be getting my new grill soon and then all of this fast food (or faux fast food) bullshit will end. But it makes me wonder, WTF is the deal here? Why do people flock to wait in line for an average burger.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain
I refuse to stand in line to eat so I eat before or after the rush , I like in and out but would rate it no better than 5 guys or fat burger but if the line was more than 2 or 3 deep I am going someplace else.
Xracerdone
5/25/2015 10:55am
I love so many different burgers but I think my wife & I make the best. The secret is paprika in the mix
Hut
5/25/2015 11:05am
I try not to eat any of that fast food crap. There are some awesome local places around here to choose from when I crave a burger, screw those big chains.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
5/25/2015 11:16am
Borg, have you eaten at Hodad's? If so, where does it rate?
Oh Billy
5/25/2015 11:53am
In&out is average at best....never been impressed with that place! The best burgers are made at home imo! Fast food places these days have really went to shit, tini little cardboard patties! NO THANKS!
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
5/25/2015 12:27pm
borg wrote:
I couldn't really call myself a burger connoisseur, probably just a burger snob. Anyway, despite living in In-N-Out central, I've only been there maybe 5 times...

― Mark Twain
It's because most are sheep and cows that follow and don't lead. Every year we go to this huge expo in Daytona. And every year there is a line out the parking lot and you can watch people just walk up to the end of it and wait for ever. We walk past them all and when you go in the twenty doors there is ten open windows to pay but every cow and sheep are in this one line because the person in front of them is. Every year we lol and walk right up pay and never have waited once.
71Fish
5/25/2015 2:01pm
Where INO and Chick-fil-la are better than other fast food IMO is customer service. They go the extra mile to great people and be friendly, almost to the point it's annoying. But I would rather pay for that than the dismal experience McD or others provide. I'm happy to say I haven't been inside a McD or BK since the 90s, except in Korea.
APLMAN99
5/25/2015 2:26pm
Chain burgers are a different animal altogether, but I'm definitely guilty of enjoying them on occasion. My favorites:

Fatburger
Blue Moon-hangover special is awesome.
Red Mill- only a couple of stores, though.
Dick's Drive In is a sentimental favorite, most folks who were young in the Seattle area have some fond memories of it.

For sit down service, I actually really like the BBQ burger at Red Robin, too.
Huevos
5/25/2015 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 3:04pm
Honestly, I effin' love In-n-out. I don't get all butt hurt when people rag on it, because there are different strokes for different folks. But compared to other burger joints like McD, BK, Wendy's, Carl's, etc., it's a waste of money to me to choose anything over In-n-out. Five Guys is really good, but it's about $13 to get a burger, fries and a drink there which is just about double what In-n-out charges. For the price, I think in-n-out is pretty delicious with fresh ingredients. Their fries divide everyone between love and hate. I personally love them.

The only place that I've ever eaten and thought it was truly disgusting was White Castle. I can't believe people actually pay money for that shitty dog food.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
5/25/2015 4:08pm
Come east. Hit a Five Guys.

When you go to High Point, head up 79 to the 'Burgh and hit a Burgatory. (See what I did there?)

Not fast, but on par with Applebee's is Red Robin. Yummm.

You're welcome.

H
Oh Billy
5/25/2015 5:09pm
I agree with Apl....Red Mill is good, Dicks is basic .....the menu has never changed since they opened in th 50s I like them too.5 guys is not bad, but they are spendy!
Rooster
5/25/2015 5:37pm
I can't eat any fast food these days. I just can't stomach the crap anymore.

The only place I'll allow myself to grab a burger these days from is 5 Guys.

I've tried INO and they were similar to 5 Guys, but nothing special. Out of all the different places I've tried, 5 guys is the closest to what I make at home.
borg
5/25/2015 6:14pm
tcannon521 wrote:
No. I haven't even heard of them. I would like to have a local burger joint that's fast food and good. It just seems that the combination is rare. There is a greasy spoon in Norwalk where I used to live. They made a pretty good burger and fucking great fries for less than 5 bucks. They didn't play the "combo" game either. Where I'm at now has a little stand called Franks. The problem is that the only time I go to a place like that is because it's late and I don't want to hassle making something at home. But by the time I get there it's closed though. Oh well. I'm shopping for the grill as we speak and the mater plants are going good. Wont be long and I can do it myself. Just like the others have said on here, you cant buy one that's as good as you make yourself.

My own method:
I get the frozen patties but I get the top of the line stuff. 1/3 lb lean sirloin. The 1/2 lb are good but I don't like to overpower the burger with meat. I get the best buns. You cant fucking scrimp on the buns! I grill the meat with a little worcesershir (sp) and some garlic salt. I use home grown tomatoes, sliced purple onion, sliced avocado and that's about it. Sometimes I use dill pickle and lettuce but not much lettuce. If I catch somebody putting ketchup on one of my burgers I banish them to McDonalds.
Anyway, how do some of you guys do your burgers at home?
MR. X
5/25/2015 6:23pm
X2 on the garlic powder !
Sully
5/25/2015 6:30pm
I'm with Huevos; I love In-n-Out. It's the second place I hit whenever I go home to San Diego (first is any of the -bertos Mexican joints).

When I do burgers at home, I usually go with Bubba Burgers with Weber's burger seasoning on them. Homemade is always the best way to go, but I'll keep buying Bubbas as long as they support moto.
vet323
5/25/2015 6:39pm
That burger of borg's sounds ok with a little bit of homemade horseradish and some homemade coleslaw on the side.
borg
5/25/2015 6:44pm
vet323 wrote:
That burger of borg's sounds ok with a little bit of homemade horseradish and some homemade coleslaw on the side.
Oh hell yes on the horseradish. Thanks. I don't have homemade but storebought would work. I never thought of horseradish with burgers. Great idea.
71Fish
5/25/2015 7:03pm
vet323 wrote:
Put the slaw on the burger along with a fried egg. Trust me.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/25/2015 8:51pm
InO is above average. Recently found "the habit". I don't eat much red meat any more but if i don't grill the burger at home, the habit is my new go to place. Awesome onion rings too.
ocscottie
5/26/2015 12:03am
ToolMaker wrote:
InO is above average. Recently found "the habit". I don't eat much red meat any more but if i don't grill the burger at home, the...
InO is above average. Recently found "the habit". I don't eat much red meat any more but if i don't grill the burger at home, the habit is my new go to place. Awesome onion rings too.
My pops just got me into Habit burger recently, it's good but I personally like 5Guys a tad more. In n Out is the most overrated burger on the planet, hell I would rather have Carls Jr.

I'll have to try Habits o rings.....damn now I'm starving Blink
71Fish
5/26/2015 5:06am
ToolMaker wrote:
InO is above average. Recently found "the habit". I don't eat much red meat any more but if i don't grill the burger at home, the...
ocscottie wrote:
My pops just got me into Habit burger recently, it's good but I personally like 5Guys a tad more. In n Out is the most overrated...
My pops just got me into Habit burger recently, it's good but I personally like 5Guys a tad more. In n Out is the most overrated burger on the planet, hell I would rather have Carls Jr.

I'll have to try Habits o rings.....damn now I'm starving Blink
I was going to bring up Habit since one opened recently nearby. Haven't tried it yet. I've had 5Guys once and thought it was good.
IWreckALot
5/26/2015 5:42am
tcannon521 wrote:
borg wrote:
No. I haven't even heard of them. I would like to have a local burger joint that's fast food and good. It just seems that the...
No. I haven't even heard of them. I would like to have a local burger joint that's fast food and good. It just seems that the combination is rare. There is a greasy spoon in Norwalk where I used to live. They made a pretty good burger and fucking great fries for less than 5 bucks. They didn't play the "combo" game either. Where I'm at now has a little stand called Franks. The problem is that the only time I go to a place like that is because it's late and I don't want to hassle making something at home. But by the time I get there it's closed though. Oh well. I'm shopping for the grill as we speak and the mater plants are going good. Wont be long and I can do it myself. Just like the others have said on here, you cant buy one that's as good as you make yourself.

My own method:
I get the frozen patties but I get the top of the line stuff. 1/3 lb lean sirloin. The 1/2 lb are good but I don't like to overpower the burger with meat. I get the best buns. You cant fucking scrimp on the buns! I grill the meat with a little worcesershir (sp) and some garlic salt. I use home grown tomatoes, sliced purple onion, sliced avocado and that's about it. Sometimes I use dill pickle and lettuce but not much lettuce. If I catch somebody putting ketchup on one of my burgers I banish them to McDonalds.
Anyway, how do some of you guys do your burgers at home?
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bbq-spice-rub/

I make a batch of this stuff from time to time. It's awesome on all kinds of meats. Pork chops are excellent as is chicken. NEVER anything other than heavy salt and some pepper on your steak though.

For hamburgers, I like to get lean ground beef, and roll the bbq rub into the meat then pound out the patties. I like a patty that is about 8" wide and maybe 1/2" thick. They shrink up so much and I like to have meat across the entire bun. I like wheat buns with sesame seeds on it and I throw those on the grill to get a good toast across the inside of the bun. Fresh vegetables are the way to go. I also like to take an onion, slice it up and put it on a cast iron skillet to cook the onions on the grill while the burgers are cooking. I throw some olive oil and some beer usually in the skillet with the onions. Good stuff.
scooter5002
5/26/2015 7:01am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2015 7:02am
Never been to In n Out, just recently started runnin Cal, so I've certainly seen them. Ever try getting a 280" wheelbase Pete and 53' trailer in the fuckin parking lot? Good luck with that. If I see a place to get parked nearby, I'll have to try one, just so I know. Used to do Whataburger in Tejas, is that the same chain? Liked those, and I am a burger snob. I've done 5 Guys, and they are tasty, as are the fries, by damn, what's up with that pricing? They think it's still the Irish Potato Famine? That's a little over the top.

Cruising down 14 through Washington state a month ago, headed to Clackamas Or, north side of the Columbia River. A spectacular drive in itself, topped off with a stop at a Mom and Pop burger joint in Bingen, population 308 1/2. Saw the sign behind the trees, yarded it over to the curb 3 blocks later. Everything is homemade, huge patty, endless fries (like THAT was necessary) plus a huge drink, for 12 bucks. Picked the Blue Burger, with lots of melted blue cheese, and all the fixin's. One of THEE best burgers I've ever eaten, and after 32 years on the road, I've covered some places.

Post a reply to: In-N-Out. My burger rant

The Latest